Games in Android Showcase (118)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (568)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Software only rendering  (Read 1597 times)
Offline Preston

Medals: 4

« Posted 2003-11-29 12:53:20 »

Hi,

I think I've read once on a OpenGL forum that it's possible to make OpenGL to do software rendering instead of hardware accelerated. By asking OpenGL to give a window with more bpp for the frame or z buffer or whatever than it actually has got.

Is this possible? Or does my memory serve my wrong...

If it's possible: how would it be possible to activate this in Xith3d?
Offline Yuri Vl. Gushchin

Speak Java!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2003-11-29 13:31:32 »

Hi,

Some time ago I added to JOGL-based RenderPeerImpl a method that can accepl JOGL GLCapabilities as a parameter, so you can specify buffer structure and some other aspects of GL context to be used for rendering in your app. GLCapabilities have peoperty named "hardwareAccelerated" which you can set using setHardareAccelerated(boolean). This looks like right way on how to turn HW accel off, but I never tested that.

Yuri

Yuri Vl. Gushchin
JProof Group
Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Projects: 2

Fire at will

« Reply #2 - Posted 2003-11-29 21:02:10 »

Not sure if this is your question - but I have a laptop which does software rendering in linux but that is because it has a hopeless graphics card and so I had to install the Mesa software drivers.

The good thing is that Mesa is a very faithful implementation of OpenGL and it's 1.4 so everything is there.

This has nothing to do with JOGL however - just my drivers.

Will.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Preston

« Reply #3 - Posted 2003-12-01 05:30:17 »

Hi,
Some time ago I added to JOGL-based RenderPeerImpl a method that can accepl JOGL GLCapabilities as a parameter, so you can specify buffer structure and some other aspects of GL context to be used for rendering in your app. GLCapabilities have peoperty named "hardwareAccelerated" which you can set using setHardareAccelerated(boolean). This looks like right way on how to turn HW accel off, but I never tested that.

Hi Yuri, hi all. Thanks for that hint. That sounds like the method I have to use.
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. However I remember that some time ago I tried this with pure JOGL, too, and it didn't work either. So I guess there's some problem with JOGL not using that setHardwareAcceleratred(false) flag...?

In Xith3d I tried to use it in the following way:
GLCapabilities gc = new GLCapabilities();
gc.setHardwareAccelerated(false);

RenderPeerImpl renderpeer = new RenderPeerImpl();
CanvasPeer canvaspeer = renderpeer.makeCanvas(frame, width, height, 32, false, gc);
Offline Preston

« Reply #4 - Posted 2003-12-01 05:32:06 »

Not sure if this is your question - but I have a laptop which does software rendering in linux but that is because it has a hopeless graphics card and so I had to install the Mesa software drivers.

The good thing is that Mesa is a very faithful implementation of OpenGL and it's 1.4 so everything is there.

This has nothing to do with JOGL however - just my drivers.

Hi Will. What I am looking for is to disable the hardware rendering of a fully OpenGL 1.3++ capable graphics cards for testing purposes. Yuri's mentioned method looks to be the one but there's a problem with JOGL (or OpenGL?) I suppose.
Offline Jens

Java for games!

« Reply #5 - Posted 2003-12-01 06:08:32 »

Hi Will. What I am looking for is to disable the hardware rendering of a fully OpenGL 1.3++ capable graphics cards for testing purposes. Yuri's mentioned method looks to be the one but there's a problem with JOGL (or OpenGL?) I suppose.

You can put this in your XF86Config-4:

Option "NoAccel" "TRUE"

However, I don't know if your driver understands this.

Xith3D Getting Started Guide (PDF,HTML,Source)
Offline Preston

« Reply #6 - Posted 2003-12-01 06:28:49 »

You can put this in your XF86Config-4:

Option "NoAccel" "TRUE"

However, I don't know if your driver understands this.

It should work also on Windows...

Speak Java!

« Reply #7 - Posted 2003-12-01 07:51:02 »

Xith3D does not control explicitly the HW accel - this is up to underlying subsystems (i.e. JOGL, OpenGL core, drivers, card...). setHardwareAccelerated(false) should be correct way of how to disable HW accel, but there are some restrictions:

1. JOGL uses GLCapabilitiesChooser that decides which mode actually should be used and treats GLCapabilities just as hints. This is very porbable but not guaranteed that you will get exactly config you requested.

2. Some contexts may even not supply at all software-only modes (I never see such case in practice, but in theory it may happen).

As a possible solution I can suggest you to check which mode actually chosen by JOGL (OK, I modified JOGL a bit to be able to see this) and maybe implement your own CapabilitiesChooser, so you have full control over this process.

If you will need to pass your CapabilitiesChooser to Xith3D context creation code I can easily add this.

Yuri

Yuri Vl. Gushchin
JProof Group
Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

Medals: 172
Projects: 23
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #8 - Posted 2003-12-01 07:53:48 »

Adding the ability to pass through a capabilities chooser would be a nice add.

However, isn't that going to break the abstraction of the rendering layer since its only useful in a JOGL world?

Or is this just going to be an addendum that you don't use if you're using anything other than JOGL?

Kev

Speak Java!

« Reply #9 - Posted 2003-12-01 12:02:30 »

GLCapabilities, as well as in future CapabilitiesChooser, exposed only for JOGL Renderer Implementation. They are not part of generic Xith3D abstraction layer.

So if you [typically for now] create instance of GOGL Renderer explicitly, you can use them because of you anyway dealing with JOGL-specific stuff (read: renderer).

In future, if unified renderer creation mechanism will be introduced, there will be no direct access to these JOGL-specific classes, but maybe kind of hints for renderer creation code that may be used (or ignored) by actual implementation.

Yuri

Yuri Vl. Gushchin
JProof Group
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Pippogeek (40 views)
2014-09-24 16:13:29

Pippogeek (31 views)
2014-09-24 16:12:22

Pippogeek (21 views)
2014-09-24 16:12:06

Grunnt (47 views)
2014-09-23 14:38:19

radar3301 (29 views)
2014-09-21 23:33:17

BurntPizza (65 views)
2014-09-21 02:42:18

BurntPizza (37 views)
2014-09-21 01:30:30

moogie (43 views)
2014-09-21 00:26:15

UprightPath (53 views)
2014-09-20 20:14:06

BurntPizza (55 views)
2014-09-19 03:14:18
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org