Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Motivation  (Read 2065 times)
Offline Quentin

Senior Newbie

Big newb

« Posted 2012-08-16 12:45:36 »

I've been lacking motivation for doing anything recently and I feel so lazy.

How do you guys stay motivated to make/learn how to make games? I'm currently still learning(want to learn Slick), but I can't bring myself to start.

D:
Offline Damocles
« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-08-16 12:50:30 »

Make a little Microproject (a little Duckshooter, Invaders, new Textrendering)
-> quick Rewards

This gets your Mind free, and yields some quick results that you can use later
in your project. (Gameloop approach, technical solution)
It also trains you to apply your knowledge.

But dont spend too much time on it.

When you got something working it motivates you more to spend time on boring tasks.

Also:
keep easy and rewarding tasks OPEN in the ToDo list.
When you feel down, you can skip to them to have some nice feedback.

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 343
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-08-16 13:11:46 »

The need to eat, have a roof over my head, and ensure the same for the rest of my little family keeps me motivated...

... not so motivated that I don't waste time on forums mind  Grin

Cas Smiley

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Grunnt

JGO Wizard

Medals: 66
Projects: 8
Exp: 5 years

Complex != complicated

« Reply #3 - Posted 2012-08-16 13:24:56 »

Maybe do something you like to do instead? Like play games? If i'm lazy and unmotivated I sometimes just give in and play games for a loooong time, until I get bored with it.  Alternatively, having some regular physical exercise (e.g. running) helps if you lack energy in general.

And maybe you just dont want to make a game eagerly enough? There's nothing wrong with just enjoying games (or anything else). Not that making games isnt fun  Wink

Offline gimbal

JGO Knight

Medals: 25

« Reply #4 - Posted 2012-08-16 15:58:14 »

Maybe do something you like to do instead? Like play games?

Nooooooooo. That's what I do and that eats up so much time you hardly leave any to code something.

Doing something new is likely the best thing to do. I've finally jumped into LibGDX, such a wonderful exploratory experience especially when you realize that stuff 'just works'. And do something small and relatively simple, in my case a Tetris game (with a twist). Actually finishing something will likely be a good motivator.

But what it really sounds like? You need some vacation time from your computer dude! I can highly recommend taking up cooking, that keeps me busy in a creative way with the huge benefit of having really nice stuff to eat without paying excessive amounts for it Wink
Online Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 757
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #5 - Posted 2012-08-16 16:22:19 »

Hehe, it is suggested that he does something else, you say 'nooo!' and then you suggest he does something else Cheesy

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #6 - Posted 2012-08-16 16:31:54 »

Yeah just finish something relatively small. Try to clone a game, try new mechanism etc.

Offline gimbal

JGO Knight

« Reply #7 - Posted 2012-08-16 16:50:57 »

Hehe, it is suggested that he does something else, you say 'nooo!' and then you suggest he does something else Cheesy
nooooooo @ playing games, not @ doing something else Wink Better to go do something else that does not have some sort of addiction factor tied to it is more to the point.
Offline ctomni231

JGO Wizard

Medals: 98
Projects: 1
Exp: 7 years

Not a glitch. Just have a lil' pixelexia...

« Reply #8 - Posted 2012-08-17 02:03:35 »

I am amazed people haven't created an article for it, because staying motivated to complete anything is a task. Hell, I wouldn't feel motivated to finish my job if I knew that I wouldn't be able to get something to eat the next day.

The best advice to stay motivated...

Take a break.

Seriously, your brain is more like a computer than you think, it needs to defragment and refactor all the new ideas (and old ideas) that get into your head. What I usually do is write down the last thing I did in the program, and go do something else. Then I let the ideas flow, and whatever I come up with new for that project, I write it down on the same sheet.

I realize the code gets better and more efficient the more time I spend away from the computer. I also realize the bugs and errors are much easier to spot if you come back to a problem. All positives for coding in my book. Inspiration comes from many sources, and it is not always from sitting 24 hours in front of the screen. Don't let time be an issue, sometimes you have to be patient for great code.

Offline Grunnt

JGO Wizard

Medals: 66
Projects: 8
Exp: 5 years

Complex != complicated

« Reply #9 - Posted 2012-08-17 09:20:40 »

Actually finishing something will likely be a good motivator.

Yeah, this is important. Setting yourself a goal that is challenging, but doable helps. (e.g. not a MMORPG making you millions within 2 years if you just start out, but completing a small, trivial game to the point where other people can play it and have fun). Lethargy sometimes comes from not really believing that you can make something good, that you can actually finish a fun game. Making small steps and rewarding yourself for it (e.g. play some games without guilt after working on game development Grin) can help in building belief in your own capabilities.

Focus is another factor for me. I tend to want to do 10 things at the same time: learning to draw, to play the guitar, build a website, make a game, read a lot of books, .... But in the end that means that I try to do 10 things but succeed at none. Consciously choosing one thing to focus on (for me it's making a game at the moment) and setting myself a clear goal (e.g. complete an original game before the end of the year, after completing two trivial games last year) works for me. This means I'm not learning to draw or play the guitar, but hey, sometimes you have to choose Grin

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline gimbal

JGO Knight

« Reply #10 - Posted 2012-08-17 10:22:50 »

Actually finishing something will likely be a good motivator.

Yeah, this is important. Setting yourself a goal that is challenging, but doable helps. (e.g. not a MMORPG making you millions within 2 years if you just start out, but completing a small, trivial game to the point where other people can play it and have fun). Lethargy sometimes comes from not really believing that you can make something good, that you can actually finish a fun game. Making small steps and rewarding yourself for it (e.g. play some games without guilt after working on game development Grin) can help in building belief in your own capabilities.

Exactly, and it can be some simple. An intern for the company I work for was tasked to learn Ruby on Rails - I set him a challenge to create a command line hangman game (complete with dictionary loaded from a file of course - even trivial games have their challenges). I had done so also, so we could compare the results. Its always fun to see what wild variations you can come up with when you don't give very specific requirements Smiley

In the end he managed to finish his hangman game. Pretty soon after that the entire company was playing it. You should have seen him glow.
Offline Quentin

Senior Newbie

Big newb

« Reply #11 - Posted 2012-08-17 10:53:52 »

Thanks everyone! I have a folder on my computer with a few game ideas that I've been wanting to make for a while, but I want them to be really good. So yeah, I'm just going to start working on a lot of small stuff and work towards the bigger stuff Grin
Offline gimbal

JGO Knight

« Reply #12 - Posted 2012-08-17 10:55:56 »

Thanks everyone! I have a folder on my computer with a few game ideas that I've been wanting to make for a while, but I want them to be really good. So yeah, I'm just going to start working on a lot of small stuff and work towards the bigger stuff Grin

Also check out the showcase, there are some real gems in there that show how simplicity can be big fun.
Offline Quentin

Senior Newbie

Big newb

« Reply #13 - Posted 2012-08-19 11:16:36 »

Well I found the motivation I needed. Ludum Dare is coming up, and I know I won't be ready for this one, but I'm hoping to be experienced enough to enter the next one or some Mini-LDs. Tongue
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

CogWheelz (18 views)
2014-07-30 21:08:39

Riven (26 views)
2014-07-29 18:09:19

Riven (15 views)
2014-07-29 18:08:52

Dwinin (13 views)
2014-07-29 10:59:34

E.R. Fleming (34 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (12 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (43 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (44 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (30 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (31 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16
List of Learning Resources
by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 18:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 18:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 13:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org