Games in Showcase (580)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (500)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Rope the Frog [100% Free]  (Read 3197 times)
Offline kellerjungs

Senior Newbie

Projects: 2

« Posted 2012-08-15 23:48:14 »

Hi,

we just released our new Arcade game for Android - Rope the Frog

Rope the Frog - Keep your hungry frog alive and eat as much bug as quickly as possible. Use your tongue to dangle through a never ending world. Be aware, there are some mean stork babies that like them some juicy frog legs.

In Rope the Frog you start with the tutorial level. A higher level can be unlocked by reaching the required score points. The currently achieved level is illustrated by the color of the frog's tongue. Achieving a high level is important as the max score multiplier for eating bugs in a row increased with each level.

Can you reach the black tongue/belt level? We are afraid only Chuck Norris can do it. If you made it, then submit your result in our global leaderboard.

Rope the Frog is a clean game: no ads, no annoying requests, no hidden costs.

Rope to the top!

Newest Video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6jC9mms4D8

Download from Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.wendytech.rtfrog

What do you think about our game?
Offline Vladiedoo
« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-08-16 00:19:31 »

Excellent graphics, I use an iPhone so all my knowledge comes from the YouTube video but I'd like to say

• The frog seems to grow very fast initially and then stops growing, maybe you could slow down the growth process to make it more meaningful.
  • The tongue doesn't look like a frog tongue to me. Perhaps give it a more frog tongue-ish shape? This is a minor complaint though.
  • This is personal and I say it all the time but a scoring system that awards 100s of points for every small task makes everything seem less significant for me.

It's great that the game is 100% clean, the abilities (like the reversed gravity) seem cool, it seems like it would be a fun game to play for a minute here and there, hopefully what you're going for. Nice work.
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 12

Game Engineer

« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-08-16 02:54:40 »

Also an iPhone user, but this looks very cool. Nice work!

See my work:
OTC Software
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #3 - Posted 2012-08-16 05:06:11 »

The frog looks badass!

Offline kellerjungs

Senior Newbie

« Reply #4 - Posted 2012-08-19 12:47:57 »

Excellent graphics, I use an iPhone so all my knowledge comes from the YouTube video but I'd like to say

• The frog seems to grow very fast initially and then stops growing, maybe you could slow down the growth process to make it more meaningful.
  • The tongue doesn't look like a frog tongue to me. Perhaps give it a more frog tongue-ish shape? This is a minor complaint though.
  • This is personal and I say it all the time but a scoring system that awards 100s of points for every small task makes everything seem less significant for me.

It's great that the game is 100% clean, the abilities (like the reversed gravity) seem cool, it seems like it would be a fun game to play for a minute here and there, hopefully what you're going for. Nice work.

Thanks a lot for your comments. Some of your points we already addressed in our newest version. Watch our newest trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6jC9mms4D8.
Currently we are working on a port for iOS ...
Offline kellerjungs

Senior Newbie

« Reply #5 - Posted 2012-08-19 12:51:05 »

The frog looks badass!

It has to! We wrote an article which might also interest you: "Indistinguishable Main Character, A Common Marketing Mistake – Redesigning Inevitable"

http://www.wendytech.de/2012/08/common-marketing-mistake-redesigning-inevitable/
Offline teletubo
« League of Dukes »

JGO Ninja

Medals: 48
Projects: 6
Exp: 8 years

« Reply #6 - Posted 2012-08-20 16:37:05 »

It runs perfectly fine on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.

The gameplay is okay, it can be a good time waster.
However I don't like it that sometimes you have a slope with spikes right on the end of it. As far as I could tell, it is simply unavoidable... or am I just a bad player?

I praise the effort to make the buttons self-descriptive (since nobody likes to read), but I think something could be made to make the buttons look like a "pressable" thing, not just an icon or decorative image. For example in the high-score page, there is the button for local highscores and the other one for the online high scores. Between them there is an icon that shows which one you're looking at. But all the three components look the same, I mean, which one is selectable, which one is just a decorative icon?

And although this is not changeable anymore, since you have already lots of downloads, I can't help but read the game title as "Rape the Frog". But maybe that's just me and my sick mind.

Now just a curiosity, you always use "We" and "Us", so I assume you're a small indie studio. So what exactly is your goal with a 100% free game? Just to make yourselves a name and then go for the commercial stuff?

Offline kellerjungs

Senior Newbie

« Reply #7 - Posted 2012-08-22 22:59:22 »

@teletubo Thank you very much for your detailed feedback. It is very valuable for us.

Great news. We tested it only on smartphones. Good to know that is also works on tablets ... Grin

This is our first game. We are doing our best.

However I don't like it that sometimes you have a slope with spikes right on the end of it. As far as I could tell, it is simply unavoidable... or am I just a bad player?

Good point. We are also not happy with some parts of the level. We are continuosly improving the game. We will release a new version soon.

I praise the effort to make the buttons self-descriptive (since nobody likes to read), but I think something could be made to make the buttons look like a "pressable" thing, not just an icon or decorative image. For example in the high-score page, there is the button for local highscores and the other one for the online high scores. Between them there is an icon that shows which one you're looking at. But all the three components look the same, I mean, which one is selectable, which one is just a decorative icon?

Again, a very good point. We will try to improve our UI. Thank you.

And although this is not changeable anymore, since you have already lots of downloads, I can't help but read the game title as "Rape the Frog". But maybe that's just me and my sick mind.

This is funny ...

Now just a curiosity, you always use "We" and "Us", so I assume you're a small indie studio. So what exactly is your goal with a 100% free game? Just to make yourselves a name and then go for the commercial stuff?

We are two developers from Berlin. As many indy gamedevs, we don’t really like commercial games. We build games because it makes fun, not to earn money. So do not expect any commercial stuff from us ...
Offline kellerjungs

Senior Newbie

« Reply #8 - Posted 2012-08-22 23:03:56 »

Out of curiosity and since we had a few beta-test surprises. Do you usually try to hold the frog by touching above it, or do you try to control him by tonguing below it? If you swing by pressing above the frog, you should be able to avoid all obstacles with easy. We are not yet sure how to train users in controlling the frog effectively. If you know how, its pretty easy to stay for half an hour in the game, getting well above 100k points.

@Title:
If we rename it, it will be called "rape the bugs". The idea was to word play with the negation the general rope cutting mechanic of "cut the rope".
Offline ~Spaceaholic

Medals: 3
Projects: 1

« Reply #9 - Posted 2012-08-31 18:40:29 »

Runs smooth on motorola photon..... I like the rag doll physics of the frog....

there seams to be a lack of sound during gameplay, apart from some occasional clapping/cheering, and a fart here and there, I have no music during gameplay, only in the menu.... also you might want to look into acquiring a wake lock on android devices, when I start a game and dont touch it for a bit, my phone will go to sleep and then when I unlock the screen, the game loads back to the main menu....

the game also seams very easy, to be honest I didnt spend a ton of time playing, maybe five minutes, but it seamed I could just let the frog freefall and do just as well as if I had tried to control his movements....
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #10 - Posted 2012-09-02 07:42:36 »

This game is the first game that installed in my very first android phone sir.

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print