Not A Game!  (Read 5707 times)
Offline Grunnt

JGO Wizard

Medals: 55
Projects: 9
Exp: 5 years

Complex != complicated

« Reply #30 - Posted 2012-08-09 17:08:50 »

Did you follow it until the end? I actually laughed, but got bored while selling off stuff..

Offline Roquen
« Reply #31 - Posted 2012-08-09 17:25:02 »

As an aside, if I were ever to create a pencil-and-paper RPG I think I'd use a triangular distribution for success/failure stuff.  Consider 2d6:

probabilities: {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1}/36 
in percentages: {2.77778, 5.55556, 8.33333, 11.1111, 13.8889, 16.6667, 13.8889, 11.1111, 8.33333, 5.55556, 2.77778}
Offline sproingie
« Reply #32 - Posted 2012-08-09 17:35:29 »

D&D rolled stats in a gaussian distribution (3d6) but rolled against them in a uniform distribution (d20).  Almost there but not quite.  GURPS did things right, (exponentially higher point costs for stats, 3d6 rolls against them) but loaded way too much into just four stats, and skills didn't always cover the gap.  I always thought White Wolf had a pretty darn decent stats system, even though I don't remember much of how it worked.

Paranoia was just a super fun way of blowing off steam.  My favorite scenario I cooked up was that the players were given a Portable Fusion Projection Device -- basically a nuclear bazooka -- that laid waste to everything within 500 meters of whatever it hit.  Once powered on, it had to be fired every 1-3 hours (determined randomly) or it would overload and make big nuclear boom and wipe everyone out (and of course it couldn't be powered off).  Naturally most of the campaign was indoors.  And did I mention the user interface for firing the thing was an AI that was essentially a mentally unhinged version of Clippy?  "Hi!!! It looks like you're trying to fire the RandTech Corporation Experimental Man-Portable Fusion Projection Device Mark V Beta!  You have (cut to robotic IVR type voice)37 seconds(back to annoyingly chipper voice) to fire before overload!  Would you like to: a) Arm the fusion core.  b) Override standard firing protocols. c) ..." and so on.

They always actually had more time than that, since of course RandTech never quite got their progress bar quite right (yes there were a lot of Microsoft jokes in there).  But they did have to at least take it seriously, because the time they didn't ... well, the original team started with the Mark IV beta and an extra clone for each all around Wink
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 282
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #33 - Posted 2012-08-09 17:48:01 »

Aha yes I forgot about GURPS. We played a really good Culture scenario (as Special Circumstances agents. I played a female SC agent who liked shopping for shoes and bags in alien cultures) using the hi-tech GURPS ruleset. It suffered a little from the AD&D4 mechanical complexity but it was such a nicely consistent system. Getting head around probabilities again confused everyone to some extent.

I think it's a massive shame pen & paper RPGs aren't a bigger and more popular pasttime considering how they fill nearly every gap left miserably starved by what passes for RPGs on computers. And much more social as well.

Cas Smiley

Offline sproingie
« Reply #34 - Posted 2012-08-09 18:40:18 »

The problem I've had with most RPG gaming sessions is that they tend to either be too much game mechanics and no story, or all story and no game.  While the former at least gives the human contact lacking in computer games, the lack of any game mechanics in the latter makes it like sitting around telling interactive fanfic, which I'm not into.  And I'm way too possessed of a sense of dignity to participate in LARPing.

It's all just a delicate balance I suppose, and I've never found a group that could hold it for long.  I look on with sheer envy at the elaborate constructions that Mike Krahulik of Penny Arcade comes up with for his D&D games.  The guy inhabits a completely different world of gaming than I've ever experienced.
Offline jonjava
« Reply #35 - Posted 2012-08-09 19:07:16 »

The problem I've had with most RPG gaming sessions is that they tend to either be too much game mechanics and no story, or all story and no game.

You should play FF3-9!

Offline ags1

JGO Knight

Medals: 28
Projects: 2

Make code not war!

« Reply #36 - Posted 2012-08-09 19:31:27 »

This is my new game. It is called Bashing Rocks.

You start play with a little rock. Use it to bash little rocks.

After an hour of bashing rocks, you get a bigger rock. Use it to bash bigger rocks. This is called levelling up.

You can level up to level 75, so expect plenty of fun.

While playing Bashing Rocks, you may not wear a hat. This is part of the fun. If you want to wear a hat, visit the in-game store and buy one of the approved Bashing Rocks hats. Or, sign up five of your friends for Bashing Rocks, and get awarded the free Golden Beanie.

MMORPG == notAGame

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #37 - Posted 2012-08-09 20:11:38 »

Don't jest, I've actually designed an Android game that's almost exactly like that Smiley

Cas Smiley

Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

Medals: 24

One for all!

« Reply #38 - Posted 2012-08-09 22:51:00 »

Solar 2 is like that too, and that's a really fun experience!

Offline Cero
« Reply #39 - Posted 2012-08-10 00:44:57 »

The problem I've had with most RPG gaming sessions is that they tend to either be too much game mechanics and no story, or all story and no game.

You should play FF3-9!

JRPGs in general are story heavy

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

One for all!

« Reply #40 - Posted 2012-08-10 00:51:51 »

JRPGs in general are story heavy

That's pretty much the defining point of jrpgs. Just like an fps is usually rich in action. Smiley

Offline StumpyStrust
« Reply #41 - Posted 2012-08-10 02:04:34 »

FPS rich in action? I thought they were just rich in 14-year-olds with no lives.  Clueless

Offline Cero
« Reply #42 - Posted 2012-08-10 02:12:58 »

FPS rich in action? I thought they were just rich in 14-year-olds with no lives.  Clueless

only online =D

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #43 - Posted 2012-08-10 05:40:50 »

Don't play online ones, play with story as mission such as Darkwatch and Doom.

Offline StumpyStrust
« Reply #44 - Posted 2012-08-10 08:40:03 »

Yeah I know I may get hammered by some people (if there are any fan boys) but after the first Call of Duty, every subsequent release as just been a clone with better graphics. First one was fun but the rest were all the exact same. Different guns and game world. Hell some just used the same guns.

The only FPS that I ever got really good at was halo...I never did only because I was poor but I enjoyed the hell out of the story mode. I could just jump in anywhere and kick some ass. Add a few friends and even better. Oh I also liked battlefront .

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #45 - Posted 2012-08-10 10:49:42 »

The FPS genre hasn't particularly moved on since Doom and Quake. I do love a good singleplayer experience in these games though, which are basically arcade games. Quicksave/quickload are essential gameplay features. At the root of it all, FPS games are all about skill, and the quicksave/load feature allows you to refine your skill over tiny little iterations throughout the game.

I've been plotting to do a Doom "re-take" with theagentd. Wonder how he's getting on.

Cas Smiley

Offline gimbal

JGO Coder

Medals: 25

« Reply #46 - Posted 2012-08-10 11:03:43 »

FPS rich in action? I thought they were just rich in 14-year-olds with no lives.  Clueless
Don't play online ones, play with story as mission such as Darkwatch and Doom.

STALKER (the original), don't forget that one. Amazing game. Weird and incomplete storyline but its a fun story nonetheless Smiley

As for the Final Fantasies - FF9 is the best example there IMO. It is still very much story driven but its a lighter kind of story so it doesn't 'bother' too much. There is just so much to do and discover in that game, I can't get bored of revisiting it.

FF7 is also good of course but the story does tend to get in the way there. For example when you first leave Midgard to go to calm you have to sit through effing 30 minutes of interactive story progress.
Offline Grunnt

JGO Wizard

Complex != complicated

« Reply #47 - Posted 2012-08-10 11:06:43 »

I really liked the destructible environment and vehicles in more recent Battlefield games, which did feel like something new. Working together with infantry, armor, artillery and air support was a blast, especially in larger games. Before: a lovely village next to a beautiful forest. After: a smoking ruin full of craters. And in between a lot of fun. Anyway, since then the indestructible environments in Call of Duty feel so unreal, so uninteresting...

One thing I do like about games is the feeling of impact, of power, that an action gives me. In Call of Duty I can fire a bucket full of RPGs at a wall, and it just get scratched. Makes the RPG feel like a paper pellet gun. In Battlefield the entire building would come down, much more fun Grin

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #48 - Posted 2012-08-10 13:01:18 »

@gimbal
I also heard that is awesome, never played myself though.

Call of Duty? I enjoy their level loading screens.

Offline gimbal

JGO Coder

Medals: 25

« Reply #49 - Posted 2012-08-10 13:47:06 »

@gimbal
I also heard that is awesome, never played myself though.

Please, play it. Should only cost you a couple of bucks. Its one of the better games I've played this century - if you install all the patches Wink Imagine being able to have insane gunfights in Pripyat and the reactor itself!

Okay I've sold it to myself again, I'm going to play it.
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #50 - Posted 2012-08-10 14:02:19 »

Please, play it. Should only cost you a couple of bucks. Its one of the better games I've played this century - if you install all the patches Wink Imagine being able to have insane gunfights in Pripyat and the reactor itself!

I wonder if it's playable on my E450 lappy, since it's the most powerful machine I have now Grin

Offline markmistry

« Reply #51 - Posted 2012-08-10 17:08:28 »

newest good game would be read dead redemption on the ps3, brilliant game, other good games going back in time would be...   tir-na-nog on the spectrum, ik+ on the amiga, syndicate wars on the ps1, civ 1 on the pc. it seems to me as graphics became better they seem to forget about the gameplay, oh and startrek armada on the pc  Grin,... c&c tiberium sun on the pc
Online Geemili

Medals: 9
Projects: 1
Exp: 2 years

No Games Finished

« Reply #52 - Posted 2012-08-11 00:57:22 »

I think the best rpgs would have to be the ones that fit this music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBzqOa9y02I
Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 114
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

« Reply #53 - Posted 2012-08-11 03:19:40 »

Pretty cool song. talking about rpgs...
SSSSSSSSSSKKKKKKKKKKKYYYYYYYYYRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMM (and other TES titles)
complete control of the game. Model for open-world games.
Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

One for all!

« Reply #54 - Posted 2012-08-11 20:45:31 »

Pretty cool song. talking about rpgs...
SSSSSSSSSSKKKKKKKKKKKYYYYYYYYYRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMM (and other TES titles)
complete control of the game. Model for open-world games.

True, those are indeed very good games. However, I feel that there are so many things wrong with them. I can't say that they're the best games the could be. I know I can say that "A Link To The Past" is a lot closer to being the best it could be, than Skyrim is. In the end, I think I like Zelda better. Hmm.

I think the best rpgs would have to be the ones that fit this music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBzqOa9y02I

Holy f**king shit! That was amazing. It got emotional towards the end there.  Cheesy

Offline Ultroman

JGO Knight

Projects: 1

Snappin' at snizzes since '83

« Reply #55 - Posted 2012-08-11 21:31:05 »

I'd just like to add, that Angry Birds is not a game. It is a Thread.yield() in the loop of experiencing life...unlike Final Fantasy 7, which IS my life (oh God, I'd wish it was)

- Jonas
Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

One for all!

« Reply #56 - Posted 2012-08-11 22:34:59 »

I'd just like to add, that Angry Birds is not a game. It is a Thread.yield() in the loop of experiencing life...unlike Final Fantasy 7, which IS my life (oh God, I'd wish it was)

Come on! Yes it is! It's a quite polished one as well, and it's doing well. That being said, I don't enjoy it's simplicity.

Offline Grunnt

JGO Wizard

Complex != complicated

« Reply #57 - Posted 2012-08-12 10:45:30 »

Holy f**king shit! That was amazing. It got emotional towards the end there.  Cheesy

Yeah it's awasomd Grin

Offline ags1

JGO Knight

Medals: 28
Projects: 2

Make code not war!

« Reply #58 - Posted 2012-08-17 21:05:23 »

Actually I have been having a bit of fun with LOTRO, playing a suicidal tourist - how much of the world can I see without levelling up? The eye candy is nice and there are UI ideas to draw inspiration from.

On the subject of MMORPGs I wonder if it would be more fun to have a web of loosely connected private worlds, with the ability to let in small groups of friends for adventuring. Rather than focus on the heavy engineering required for a MMORPG  have multiplayer tailored for groups of users of up to five or so, with the real effort going into a rich dynamic world with plenty of backstory. So the game would be enabling the kind of play seen in 'real' role playing games - small circles of players who actually know and like each other. That might be more achievable for an indie developer.

Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

One for all!

« Reply #59 - Posted 2012-08-17 21:13:00 »

Actually I have been having a bit of fun with LOTRO, playing a suicidal tourist - how much of the world can I see without levelling up? The eye candy is nice and there are UI ideas to draw inspiration from.

On the subject of MMORPGs I wonder if it would be more fun to have a web of loosely connected private worlds, with the ability to let in small groups of friends for adventuring. Rather than focus on the heavy engineering required for a MMORPG  have multiplayer tailored for groups of users of up to five or so, with the real effort going into a rich dynamic world with plenty of backstory. So the game would be enabling the kind of play seen in 'real' role playing games - small circles of players who actually know and like each other. That might be more achievable for an indie developer.

Realm of the mad god?

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

xsi3rr4x (27 views)
2014-04-15 18:08:23

BurntPizza (24 views)
2014-04-15 03:46:01

UprightPath (38 views)
2014-04-14 17:39:50

UprightPath (21 views)
2014-04-14 17:35:47

Porlus (36 views)
2014-04-14 15:48:38

tom_mai78101 (61 views)
2014-04-10 04:04:31

BurntPizza (119 views)
2014-04-08 23:06:04

tom_mai78101 (219 views)
2014-04-05 13:34:39

trollwarrior1 (186 views)
2014-04-04 12:06:45

CJLetsGame (193 views)
2014-04-01 02:16:10
List of Learning Resources
by SHC
2014-04-18 03:17:39

List of Learning Resources
by Longarmx
2014-04-08 03:14:44

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-05 13:51:37

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:46

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:37

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:51

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:34

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:22:30
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org