News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Where to start?  (Read 1245 times)
Offline Tyb97

Senior Newbie

« Posted 2012-08-06 00:57:10 »

What do you think would be a good start for somebody who has moderate Java development, but not in games? I attempted at making a slick game, but found their tutorials incomplete, I would like to make a 3D game in the near future. I understand a majority of you are going to tell me to google it, but I would like to get some opinionated results of what you think is the best place to start.
Offline jmart

Medals: 1

« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-08-06 01:23:31 »

Hmmmmm.  Maybe testing out different graphics frameworks is a good place to start.  I do not know much about 3d graphics, so I do not know how many options there are.  Try implementing various game concepts like collision detection, animation, physics engine.

Hopefully people with more experience respond.

thanks
jose
Offline GabrielBailey74
« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-08-06 01:25:40 »

Look into JFrames, JPanels, painting them, Threads, get familiar with images, than you should be set.
2D speaking..
3D I found more complicated lol, cant easily tell it to do what i want it D:

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Tyb97

Senior Newbie

« Reply #3 - Posted 2012-08-06 01:33:56 »

I'm familiar with those things, its the game creation I'm clueless about.
Offline StonePickaxes

JGO Coder

Medals: 4
Projects: 2

Nathan Kramber

« Reply #4 - Posted 2012-08-06 02:06:26 »

I'm familiar with those things, its the game creation I'm clueless about.

Here's an example of a basic game loop and rendering method.

| Nathan

Check out my website!
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 345
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #5 - Posted 2012-08-06 02:40:44 »

How many "Where to start?" posts does this forum need?!

(Note, each couple set of words is a different link.)

(Also, please learn to use a search function before posting generic posts like this. Thanks!)

Offline Tyb97

Senior Newbie

« Reply #6 - Posted 2012-08-06 02:49:19 »

(Also, please learn to use a search function before posting generic posts like this. Thanks!)
It needs more.
On a serious note however, most of the time I use the search feature, just with these kinds of questions, I like to see what each individual person prefers, and that matches what I am looking for exactly. Also, as we all know, I could stumble across something that is wrong, but it is being presented otherwise.
Offline coltonoscopy

Medals: 2

« Reply #7 - Posted 2012-08-06 03:11:20 »

It needs more.
On a serious note however, most of the time I use the search feature, just with these kinds of questions, I like to see what each individual person prefers, and that matches what I am looking for exactly. Also, as we all know, I could stumble across something that is wrong, but it is being presented otherwise.

How do you know what people have presented to you in this forum post isn't wrong as well, considering it all comes from essentially the same pool of knowledge? ra4king knows what he is talking about.... there is a wealth of knowledge out there from people who have come here just like you (I am one of such people and still a fair newcomer myself), so learning from the advice they were given first and then coming to ask more specific questions will end up benefiting you much more than asking a question that has been asked--as ra4king pointed out--way too many times!

If you're really looking for a good way to get started, then try implementing a very basic game. Ask yourself what would constitute such a thing. Take Pong, for example. Identify the goals of making Pong, and think of ways to represent everything that makes up the game. You'll need data structures to represent sensible game objects, like the Ball, Paddles, perhaps a Scorekeeper, you name it. Using your library, figure out how to get things rendering to the screen and updating. Mix rendering and updating with your data structures and you'll be on your way to figuring out the basics of game programming. My advice is do a little research on game loops and implement one of your own, messing around with it in your own ways. If you want to try using the Lightweight Java Game Library (or LWJGL), TheCodingUniverse has a nice set of video tutorials on YouTube that can get you started, and he implements a basic version of Pong. Since Slick is built off of the LWJGL, this might be a nice direction for you to travel in. Hope that helps.

Best regards,
Colton

Straight flippin.
Offline StonePickaxes

JGO Coder

Medals: 4

Nathan Kramber

« Reply #8 - Posted 2012-08-06 03:18:24 »

How do you know what people have presented to you in this forum post isn't wrong as well, considering it all comes from essentially the same pool of knowledge? ra4king knows what he is talking about.... there is a wealth of knowledge out there from people who have come here just like you (I am one of such people and still a fair newcomer myself), so learning from the advice they were given first and then coming to ask more specific questions will end up benefiting you much more than asking a question that has been asked--as ra4king pointed out--way too many times!

If you're really looking for a good way to get started, then try implementing a very basic game. Ask yourself what would constitute such a thing. Take Pong, for example. Identify the goals of making Pong, and think of ways to represent everything that makes up the game. You'll need data structures to represent sensible game objects, like the Ball, Paddles, perhaps a Scorekeeper, you name it. Using your library, figure out how to get things rendering to the screen and updating. Mix rendering and updating with your data structures and you'll be on your way to figuring out the basics of game programming. My advice is do a little research on game loops and implement one of your own, messing around with it in your own ways. If you want to try using the Lightweight Java Game Library (or LWJGL), TheCodingUniverse has a nice set of video tutorials on YouTube that can get you started, and he implements a basic version of Pong. Since Slick is built off of the LWJGL, this might be a nice direction for you to travel in. Hope that helps.

Best regards,
Colton

Listen to this man; he speaks the truth!

| Nathan

Check out my website!
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

CopyableCougar4 (15 views)
2014-08-22 19:31:30

atombrot (28 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (25 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (23 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (15 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (22 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (61 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (39 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32

BurntPizza (31 views)
2014-08-08 02:01:56

Norakomi (38 views)
2014-08-06 19:49:38
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org