Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  ignore  |  Print  
  Blasted Crates  (Read 10219 times)
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

Medals: 5

« Reply #30 - Posted 2012-08-03 21:29:08 »

Very well made, but your game drove me absolutely insane... I think that the level of skill is arguable, because it basically becomes luck, nobody has fast enough reflexes to get down to the milliseconds that it takes to beat some of those levels, they are beatable, but only after dying 50+ times.

good game none the less, just wish it were more friendly Smiley
Offline Cero
« Reply #31 - Posted 2012-08-03 22:17:22 »

Reading this thread I was like "oh come on" because of all the whining, and I enjoy hard frustrating games like Demon's Souls.

But this game is like working at a tin can production line and cut you hands 9 times out of 10
Plus, people need rewards for doing good. Going on and just not dying, after I tried a particular part like 30 times, is just not enough =P

About the lag: Yeah sometimes he player made like a whole walking cycle running into a crate while I was was HAMMERING the keyboard, and I play all the fighting games, there is definitely lag here. Although my first thought was that it was the laptop keyboard... (since its internally PS/2)

Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

Medals: 26
Projects: 3
Exp: 6 years

One for all!

« Reply #32 - Posted 2012-08-03 22:20:14 »

Reading this thread I was like "oh come on" because of all the whining, and I enjoy hard frustrating games like Demon's Souls.

But this game is like working at a tin can production line and cut you hands 9 times out of 10
Plus, people need rewards for doing good. Going on and just not dying, after I tried a particular part like 30 times, is just not enough =P

About the lag: Yeah sometimes he player made like a whole walking cycle running into a crate while I was was HAMMERING the keyboard

It's not high-skill cap that bothers me. It's the game being in a non-functional state. I can not apply skills to the game, because it doesn't receive input as I send it. It's like driving a non-responsive car. You can't blame the driver for being a bad driver.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Zuka

Junior Newbie

« Reply #33 - Posted 2012-08-03 22:49:36 »

Maybe you're not sending it fast enough :|
Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

One for all!

« Reply #34 - Posted 2012-08-03 23:04:52 »

Not the case. The guy keeps running, even though I'm mashing my mouse and spacebar at the same time. I have a mouse that can send 1000 events per second. I think that should be enough to make me jump the exact frame the possibility arises.

Offline Gjallar

JGO Coder

Medals: 13
Projects: 1

Follower of Nurgle

« Reply #35 - Posted 2012-08-03 23:27:37 »

Didn't get past the second crates at this part either. Started this stage with 200 Deaths and ragequit it with 280 :/

I dont know if you are a faithful man but this game is pretty much your ticket to hell  Grin
Offline Hsaka
« Reply #36 - Posted 2012-08-04 00:19:12 »

I just updated the game to use polling instead. Let me know if it's still missing events. Also, you can now use the Up key as well to jump. Thanks again for playing!
Online Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 128
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

« Reply #37 - Posted 2012-08-04 00:30:36 »

Very addicting and fun, nice job! It reminds me of a game for iPhone/iPod touch: Thief Lupin: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/thief-lupin!/id401590508?mt=8.

I didn't experience any lag.
Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

One for all!

« Reply #38 - Posted 2012-08-04 00:47:29 »

The input lag is gone, and it's now a lot easier. Also, level 8 round 2 second leap... Fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu-

Offline Zuka

Junior Newbie

« Reply #39 - Posted 2012-08-04 00:48:59 »

hahaha ikr! -_-
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 742
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #40 - Posted 2012-08-04 00:53:27 »

I think you should work on the 'storyline' a bit. I thought it was amusing right onto were you suggested the crates were filled with tomatoes. Then it got somewhat boring Smiley

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline jonjava
« Reply #41 - Posted 2012-08-04 11:06:04 »

I dont know if you are a faithful man but this game is pretty much your ticket to hell  Grin

Round 2 is possible btw, only the second leap is the difficult one, you have to jump as close to the crate as possible, the last 2 leaps are like the first 1.

Round 3 of Level 8 however... my god... again you have to jump as close as possible, twice in a row... it is... impossible.......

It's too bad that when you continue the game you have to start from the beginning of the level instead of what round  you are stuck at :/

Offline Hsaka
« Reply #42 - Posted 2012-08-04 16:25:17 »

Round 3 of Level 8 however... my god... again you have to jump as close as possible, twice in a row... it is... impossible.......

It's too bad that when you continue the game you have to start from the beginning of the level instead of what round  you are stuck at :/
Yea that was a little wicked lol.. but I've seen people do that round flawlessly.
I'll address the continuing from the round in the next update.

I think you should work on the 'storyline' a bit. I thought it was amusing right onto were you suggested the crates were filled with tomatoes. Then it got somewhat boring
lol I'll see what I can do.
Offline jonjava
« Reply #43 - Posted 2012-08-04 16:59:35 »

That's because the only way to complete round3 level8 is to do it flawlessly.. There's no leeway. Which is good, but I'd like for the game to save at which round you are on - really off-putting to play again since I have to finish round 1 and especially round 2 again when continuing :l

Offline sjk

Senior Newbie

« Reply #44 - Posted 2012-08-04 17:16:53 »

Great game! 

But level 8 stage 2 killed it for me. And will not try again.  Wink
It kinda seemed while jumping over the second crate that the one on top always exploded a few pixels before I would touch it, which was kinda annoying.
Offline BCoding

Senior Newbie

« Reply #45 - Posted 2012-08-05 01:44:38 »

Really nice job. I lost at this part aswell:

Offline Hsaka
« Reply #46 - Posted 2012-08-05 02:47:00 »

Thanks guys. Here's a video for that particularly evil round:
http://youtu.be/nQgHMBag4Tg

And the next round:
http://youtu.be/X6HeT7LtxWI
Offline ctomni231

JGO Wizard

Medals: 98
Projects: 1
Exp: 7 years

Not a glitch. Just have a lil' pixelexia...

« Reply #47 - Posted 2012-08-05 02:47:38 »

What a unforgiving and very intensely challenging game. Good job! I think you should make a super-hard mode that has that input lag... j/k. I beat the game, but man. Even with my reaction time it gives a severe workout. Tongue

Offline Hsaka
« Reply #48 - Posted 2012-08-05 02:58:16 »

What a unforgiving and very intensely challenging game. Good job! I think you should make a super-hard mode that has that input lag... j/k. I beat the game, but man. Even with my reaction time it gives a severe workout.

lol thanks but it's about to get a bit harder though. Moving crates anyone?  Wink
Offline Rorkien
« Reply #49 - Posted 2012-08-05 04:13:20 »

What a unforgiving and very intensely challenging game. Good job! I think you should make a super-hard mode that has that input lag... j/k. I beat the game, but man. Even with my reaction time it gives a severe workout.

lol thanks but it's about to get a bit harder though. Moving crates anyone?  Wink

Or a moving crate that moves around in a random fashion

Would unleash the ultimate rage out of everyone
Offline jonjava
« Reply #50 - Posted 2012-08-05 08:07:23 »

Please make the game save at which round/stage you are per level  Cry

Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 74
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #51 - Posted 2012-08-05 14:22:39 »

Pretty fun and challenging little game.

Just curious do you really need to self sign the applet? Judging by the complexity of the game you should be able to pretty easily just rely on using the pre-signed LWJGL applet jars so that you get a proper security dialog (or none for those already having accepted the LWJGL certificate).
Offline Hsaka
« Reply #52 - Posted 2012-08-05 20:03:01 »

Please make the game save at which round/stage you are per level  Cry
I will add this in the next update along with more levels.

Just curious do you really need to self sign the applet? Judging by the complexity of the game you should be able to pretty easily just rely on using the pre-signed LWJGL applet jars so that you get a proper security dialog (or none for those already having accepted the LWJGL certificate).
I signed the applet because I'm using a custom java websocket library for submitting highscores.
Offline teletubo
« League of Dukes »

JGO Ninja

Medals: 48
Exp: 8 years

« Reply #53 - Posted 2012-08-06 04:09:27 »

I cheated!

I was in level 8 when my antivirus started running and the applet started stuttering real bad. some of the hang ups lasted for 2 or 3 seconds, time enough to see the ninja teleported to the other side of the screen, completely unharmed!

So  I assume your physics is running in a granular deltaT loop, while the collision detection is outside this loop, just taking into account the last position. Maybe you should move the collision detection to couple with each physics iteration.

Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

One for all!

« Reply #54 - Posted 2012-08-06 13:28:01 »

I cheated!

Wow. Great observation!

Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 74
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #55 - Posted 2012-08-06 13:32:22 »

I cheated!

I was in level 8 when my antivirus started running and the applet started stuttering real bad. some of the hang ups lasted for 2 or 3 seconds, time enough to see the ninja teleported to the other side of the screen, completely unharmed!

So  I assume your physics is running in a granular deltaT loop, while the collision detection is outside this loop, just taking into account the last position. Maybe you should move the collision detection to couple with each physics iteration.
This seems like the same issue as I've mentioned above, wouldn't happen if delta time was capped.
Offline Hsaka
« Reply #56 - Posted 2012-08-06 14:07:31 »

I cheated!
This seems like the same issue as I've mentioned above, wouldn't happen if delta time was capped.

Hmm so it seems I'm going to have to investigate this delta time capping after all. Anyone has any experience doing this in LibGDX? Thanks for pointing this out.
Offline teletubo
« League of Dukes »

JGO Ninja

Medals: 48
Exp: 8 years

« Reply #57 - Posted 2012-08-06 14:20:01 »

Isn't it as simple as:

if (deltaT>50) deltaT = 50;

?

Offline Hsaka
« Reply #58 - Posted 2012-08-06 14:40:40 »

Isn't it as simple as:

if (deltaT>50) deltaT = 50;

?
Thanks. Somehow I didn't think it would be that simple, but reading up on it, it seems like that's the way to go.
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 336
Projects: 2
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #59 - Posted 2012-08-07 23:12:27 »

What I do is call update(delta) however many times needed to pass the entire deltaTime in, so if the cap was 50 and I got 94, then I would call update twice with 50 the first time and 44 the second.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  ignore  |  Print