Games in Android Showcase (106)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (533)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  The book "Developing Games in Java"  (Read 2487 times)
Offline FernandoSanz

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Posted 2003-11-27 17:23:45 »

Hi there,
I'm thinking about starting with some game development when I finish my MSc (next month). Although there's usually lots of info on the web, I really like to learn from a book, following all the code samples and projects.

So far, I'm thinking about buying Developing Games in Java (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1592730051/qid=1069958320/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_3_1/202-3430459-2942205).

Could anyone give me some feedback about this or any other book? Any recomendations for somebody with about three years experinece in C programming (as a hobby, and some subjects at Uni) and one year experience in Java from an MSc in Computing?

Thanks

Fernando
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #1 - Posted 2003-11-27 18:36:21 »

Wel, the TOC actually looks pretty reasonable.

That saying, I've read, or tried to read, some books from New Riders that were written truly horrendously.

So I don't trust the quality of their editors which leaves me at this-- IF the writer can write well its probably a half-way decent introduction to 2D game development in Java. if not, then its not.

Shawn Kendal's book, which is coming out next year, I have faith will be an excellent intro to 3D game development in Java.

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Games/JeffFAQ
Offline FernandoSanz

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #2 - Posted 2003-11-27 18:51:28 »

Thanks Jeff,
so far all the reviews I've read are quite good. But I guess you can't really trust all of those (displayed on a web that sells the book).

About the Shawn Kendal's, is it orientated mainly to 3D, or there's plenty of 2D/general as well?
I'm sure I'll love 3D, but I don't know if I should first go for 2D. Any comment on that?

Thanks

Fernando
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #3 - Posted 2003-11-27 23:09:55 »

Thanks Jeff,
so far all the reviews I've read are quite good. But I guess you can't really trust all of those (displayed on a web that sells the book).

About the Shawn Kendal's, is it orientated mainly to 3D, or there's plenty of 2D/general as well?
I'm sure I'll love 3D, but I don't know if I should first go for 2D. Any comment on that?

As it happens I have a pre-press outline of Shawn's book. Let me look....

Yeah Shawn does cover 2D as well.

It looks to me like Shawn's book is going to cover a lot more, and my guess is over-all be deeper and better written, BUT its not out yet so you might want to start with that other one if you want to get started right away.

On whether you jump straight into 3D or not.  There are two considerations.  The first is that 3D requires some pretty sophisticated math.  if your not already extremely comfortable with vector algebra (in particular transformation matrices and vector products) you probably want to wait and attack that after you've written a simple 2D game or two.

Secondly there is just a lot more that you need to do, both in code and in art, to build a 3D game so that might also be a reason to do a 2D one first.

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Games/JeffFAQ
Offline Herkules

Friendly fire isn't friendly!

« Reply #4 - Posted 2003-11-28 05:30:41 »

Typically these kind of books suck. They are all similar in content and seem to be a re-write of a single master-book (maybe an ancient one from LaMothe).  :-/

200 pages about basic Java concepts, 200 about AWT. Than a sprite manager and a simple scene/actor construct. Something about installing Java3D and how to open a socket.

The description of this specific one sounds OK - but thats often the case. So you are still left alone with the risk to buy a bad book.

For I know Shawn and what he's doing .... I'd buy his book w/o hesitation....

HARDCODE    --     DRTS/FlyingGuns/JPilot/JXInput  --    skype me: joerg.plewe
Offline FernandoSanz

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #5 - Posted 2003-11-28 11:00:51 »

>> As it happens I have a pre-press outline of Shawn's book. Let me look....

Is there any link where I can read anything about the book?

On whether you jump straight into 3D or not.  There are two considerations.  The first is that 3D requires some pretty sophisticated math.  if your not already extremely comfortable with vector algebra (in particular transformation matrices and vector products) you probably want to wait and attack that after you've written a simple 2D game or two.

Secondly there is just a lot more that you need to do, both in code and in art, to build a 3D game so that might also be a reason to do a 2D one first.

I'm fine with Maths, Physics and any technical/engineering thing (too many years at Uni). Though, I don't want to spend too much time on my first "project", so as you say, I think I'll try first with simple 2D to start with.

Herkules: do you know of any up to date book that people are happy with? Or do you have any other advice for a begineer as me (with Java experience, but not games experience)?

BTW, I'm not in a hurry, I'm really really busy until January, but once I can start, I want to do it as quickly as possible. So I'd like to read something in my free time (just reading the book, but not working on it).

Thanks again,

Fernando
Offline zparticle

Thick As A Brick

« Reply #6 - Posted 2003-12-01 18:38:06 »

Here is the info on Shawns book:

http://www.charlesriver.com/titles/javagame.html

The TOC is incorrect apparently. I just talked to Dustin Clingman and gave him edits on his edits of my section. I'm dying to read the portions on scripting engines. Is the person that is working on that section on this forum?

Offline FernandoSanz

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #7 - Posted 2003-12-01 18:41:57 »

Thanks zparticle,
opening it right now....
Offline c_inconnu

Junior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #8 - Posted 2003-12-02 12:43:47 »

Hi !

I bought this book on Amazon a few days ago and I read almost the entire content, so I can now criticize it ;o) Well, briefly, it rocks !

At least for me. I have already read 10 thousands of articles and tutorials on the web and a couple of books too. However I am a true beginner in the game world althought I have ideas about a majority of the vast amount of subjects involved in a game creation. Furthermore I know really well Java for professional purpose.

This book really is not for Java beginner and that alone is a really good point. Because it's rare. The chapters are well organized and there is good explanations along the code. I learnt how a basic (full java) 2D and 3D game engine can be laid out and my ideas are much more clearer.
So if you are like me a beginner in game dev but not in java, i just recommend it.

PS: it does not cover the OGL not J3D stuff but JOGL is too young and it's not it's goal.
Offline FernandoSanz

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #9 - Posted 2003-12-04 08:29:45 »

Hi !

I bought this book on Amazon a few days ago and I read almost the entire content, so I can now criticize it ;o) Well, briefly, it rocks !

At least for me. I have already read 10 thousands of articles and tutorials on the web and a couple of books too. However I am a true beginner in the game world althought I have ideas about a majority of the vast amount of subjects involved in a game creation. Furthermore I know really well Java for professional purpose.

This book really is not for Java beginner and that alone is a really good point. Because it's rare. The chapters are well organized and there is good explanations along the code. I learnt how a basic (full java) 2D and 3D game engine can be laid out and my ideas are much more clearer.
So if you are like me a beginner in game dev but not in java, i just recommend it.

PS: it does not cover the OGL not J3D stuff but JOGL is too young and it's not it's goal.

Thanks inconnu!
Have you done any example yet?
Since it's the only available one at the moment (from my list), I think I'll get it for Christmas.
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

pw (18 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (17 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (14 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (17 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16

ctomni231 (45 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21

Zero Volt (40 views)
2014-07-17 23:47:54

danieldean (32 views)
2014-07-17 23:41:23

MustardPeter (36 views)
2014-07-16 23:30:00

Cero (51 views)
2014-07-16 00:42:17

Riven (50 views)
2014-07-14 18:02:53
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org