Games in Android Showcase (106)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (532)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Interview with princec  (Read 3342 times)
Offline dishmoth
« Posted 2012-07-24 13:05:15 »

Interview  (Audio only.  Boo!)

Funny how different his voice is from the one in my head that reads out his posts.

Online princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 340
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-07-24 13:42:00 »

I've got hayfever as well :/ nose all stuffed up.

You know how some people don't have a "face for television?" Well, I don't have a "voice for radio". Ahem.

Cas Smiley

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 742
Projects: 4

Hand over your head.

« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-07-24 13:49:10 »

Nice interview. Why so few questions? (and why two last questions? :p)

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Online princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #3 - Posted 2012-07-24 13:52:16 »

It was kinda odd but we went on talking for 15 minutes after the interview finished, and he asked me all the interesting stuff I thought everyone might want to hear. Like, working with Steam, my thoughts on C++, why I use Java (because I'm an idiot), why don't I do 3D games (because I'm not clever enough), why don't I use Unity (because I'm too old, stupid and lazy to learn anything new), what's Java performance like (half as fast as C++), when would I want to use C++ (to get on consoles), why don't I want to get on consoles (because the business side of it is just so awful that I'd rather do something useful with my life), etc, etc.

Cas Smiley

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #4 - Posted 2012-07-24 13:56:39 »

Unless you're being cynical, cas... Smiley unleash the recordings on to youtube, thecodinguniverse!

Online princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #5 - Posted 2012-07-24 13:59:24 »

I always prefer to think of myself as "realistic" rather than "cynical".

That statement itself is almost "optimistic" Smiley

Cas Smiley

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #6 - Posted 2012-07-24 14:04:20 »

I meant it like as if you were joking: "yeah, in the cut off part we solved most world problems" - but I guess the suggestion that you'd make stuff up just for fun, would be a bit far stretched. Sorry for the derailment.

Online princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #7 - Posted 2012-07-24 14:11:58 »

No, really - we genuinely did talk about all the interesting stuff after he stopped recording! Bizarre. But I think he's very young and inexperienced in the ways of interviewing yet (only 14!) so not a bad effort at all. Poor guy was very nervous. I could talk the hind legs off of an Arcturan megadonkey.

Cas Smiley

Online Cero
« Reply #8 - Posted 2012-07-24 20:52:53 »

Great to hear Cas.
Although I probably knew all answers because of his questions thread Cheesy

He sounds a little like the 27bslash6, David Thorne. ... It's possible that I just think that becuse of the british accent though Grin

Offline Sickan

Medals: 8

« Reply #9 - Posted 2012-07-24 21:05:55 »

The ending 'cherio' really made me smile. I really love this kind of thing, I really hope to see more in the future, if possible. Smiley
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Online Cero
« Reply #10 - Posted 2012-07-24 21:10:02 »

The ending 'cherio'

Never heard that before...
I thought it was a cereal snack thing =D

Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

Medals: 26
Exp: 6 years

One for all!

« Reply #11 - Posted 2012-07-24 22:18:43 »

The ending 'cherio'
Never heard that before...
I thought it was a cereal snack thing =D

I made this same mistake once. Only once.

Offline Axeman

Medals: 7

« Reply #12 - Posted 2012-07-25 00:00:04 »

I've got hayfever as well :/ nose all stuffed up.

You know how some people don't have a "face for television?" Well, I don't have a "voice for radio". Ahem.

Cas Smiley

I don´t know about that... I like your old-school BBC type of voice. Smiley
Offline StumpyStrust
« Reply #13 - Posted 2012-07-25 01:21:39 »

"if somebody is investing their time in you and you are investing your time in them, you really want to finish something other wise you let each other down"

This, I think is one of the most insightful things I have heard in a long time. I have always known it but you forget how much having someone to work with does. Very few people are truly self motivated. I think that this really is the best advice you could give to someone who is trying to program games.

Online princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #14 - Posted 2012-07-25 10:31:15 »

Even fewer people are actually talented in all of programming, art, sound, music, game design, production, website construction, writing English*, business and marketing.

Cas Smiley

* Outside of China, English is the language you need to be an expert at to get taken credibly by the US and UK, which is where over 50% of the actual market is. It helps that most European countries noticed this a while back.

Online Cero
« Reply #15 - Posted 2012-07-25 14:20:40 »

I don't believe in talent.

Everyone can learn everything.

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #16 - Posted 2012-07-25 14:22:29 »

If only that was true!

Online Cero
« Reply #17 - Posted 2012-07-25 14:52:44 »

I was one of these kids who couldn't draw for shit.
And I practiced. You can learn to do these things...

Hard work > Talent

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #18 - Posted 2012-07-25 14:56:41 »

Learning improves your skills. Your talent determines your maximum skill.

Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

Medals: 26
Exp: 6 years

One for all!

« Reply #19 - Posted 2012-07-25 14:59:41 »

Hard work > Talent
This is very true, but some people have to do less actively to achieve the same amount of "work" as others. (Intelligence varies a lot, unfortunately.)

Offline teletubo
« League of Dukes »

JGO Ninja

Medals: 48
Exp: 8 years

« Reply #20 - Posted 2012-07-25 15:02:14 »

Hard work > Talent

I do agree with that.
However, it is undeniable that some people need less hard work to master one skill than other people.

And of course there are physical limitations/boosts.

Nicolo Paganini was a hell of a violinist not only because he practiced, but also because (argueably) he had Marfan syndrome (which made his fingers larger and thinner). And if you have Parkinson's disease you probably won't be a very good painter.

But, apart from that, I really believe anything is achievable if you practice enough.

Offline R.D.

Medals: 2
Projects: 1

"For the last time, Hats ARE Awesome"

« Reply #21 - Posted 2012-07-25 15:39:04 »

Talent also enhances the speed you learn stuff in. I play Guitar with all my love for about 1 and a half year. I think I'm not that good to start a band (well main reson to learn guitar is to play covers of game music xD). A friend of mine just HAS talent. He plays like a Pro and only plays like a half year.

Of course you can learn a lot by brute forcing it, but that makes not sense to me. Why would I but myself to work for something I'm just not good at. I'm good at programming and a like it. I think the "like it" part is the most important part. If you do something and you do it all day long without even noticing what time it is you probatly should go with that.

Drawing is a good example. You can tell yourself all day long that you learned by hard. But go on DeviantArt and all your self-esteem is gone for good xD (Altough I get pushed by better work then mine...). Like Riven said. There is a certain max level your can achievement if you don't have that much talent. I assume I never get to the point where I play like Jimi Hendrix but that's okay xD
Online Cero
« Reply #22 - Posted 2012-07-25 16:07:46 »

Well if I draw Artworks every single day, for years, I will, undeniable, get very experienced at it.

I say hard work > talent, if it exists.
I don't even believe that it does biologically. You are not born with skills other than instinctive ones.

Exposition and practice gets you good at things.
In my life at least, I was never very good at things I had never done before - and I was not bad I things I did a lot.

Offline Roquen
« Reply #23 - Posted 2012-07-25 16:12:40 »

This is great stuff for self-help books and such, but we all have things that we're good at and things that we're not.  We might be mistaken about what these things are (though lack of exposure and practice) but that doesn't really change anything.  And IHMO this is a good thing.
Online princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #24 - Posted 2012-07-25 17:19:53 »

My personal take on it is that absolutely is limited, whatsoever, in what they can achieve, if they put the effort in to be good at it; at least as far as cognitive and dextrous skills are concerned. I've seen this countless times. What talent appears to be is the speed at which we progress from beginner to expert.

As for myself, I have little talent at games design, and I've almost deliberately fossilised my talents for what some programmers perceive to be the most important aspect programming ("being able to pick up new languages quickly is soooooo important and any good programmer blah blah blah") in favour of what I consider being the most important aspect of programming (actually being very good at one language).

In another 10 years I hope to be pretty good at games design. Helps that I'm doing it for a living now.

Cas Smiley

Offline gimbal

JGO Knight

Medals: 25

« Reply #25 - Posted 2012-07-25 17:46:24 »

Its not about which hammer you use, its the amount of care you put into building that bird house that determines how good it turns out to be and how effective it will be at attracting birds to nest in it.

Whether 'care' translates to talent or hard work... I think someone with talent puts in hard work where someone with no talent will just slack off trying to cut corners.
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #26 - Posted 2012-07-25 17:49:09 »

There have been a lot of people that worked very hard to learn something and miserably failed, because they simply couldn't learn/master it to the level that was required.

There may be a relation between having poor skills and the likeliness to slack off, but that certainly isn't the rule.

Offline ctomni231

JGO Wizard

Medals: 98
Projects: 1
Exp: 7 years

Not a glitch. Just have a lil' pixelexia...

« Reply #27 - Posted 2012-07-26 00:28:28 »

hard work > talent

Yeah, you could do hard work. But, it surely helps to be around talented people if you want success. I mean, look at customer service. Not everyone wants to learn how to communicate with people. However, some just are better at speaking to people than others. Same thing with programming. It does take a lot of hard work. You can spend 2 years learning Java and master it to the same strength someone with talent learned in a month. I believe people have talents at certain tasks, and can grasp concepts faster than others at certain things. Learning the hard way is a great experience, but I don't believe that you'd ever get as far as those who are naturally gifted.

Hard work is nice if you have the time, but the amount of time you'll take trying to be Bach, Albert Einstein, Picasso, and Stephen Hawking would probably take you an entire lifetime. Talent speeds up hard work by making it easier. I find it better just to surround myself with the talented and listen to them. Sometimes you are able to pick up things a whole lot faster that way.

Online Cero
« Reply #28 - Posted 2012-07-26 00:40:21 »

hard work > talent

Yeah, you could do hard work. But, it surely helps to be around talented people if you want success. I mean, look at customer service. Not everyone wants to learn how to communicate with people. However, some just are better at speaking to people than others. Same thing with programming. It does take a lot of hard work. You can spend 2 years learning Java and master it to the same strength someone with talent learned in a month. I believe people have talents at certain tasks, and can grasp concepts faster than others at certain things. Learning the hard way is a great experience, but I don't believe that you'd ever get as far as those who are naturally gifted.

Hard work is nice if you have the time, but the amount of time you'll take trying to be Bach, Albert Einstein, Picasso, and Stephen Hawking would probably take you an entire lifetime. Talent speeds up hard work by making it easier. I find it better just to surround myself with the talented and listen to them. Sometimes you are able to pick up things a whole lot faster that way.

You're confusing talent with interest/affinity.

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #29 - Posted 2012-07-26 01:58:23 »

Talent is just like pole position in race. If you have one you're a little bit in front.

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

pw (13 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (14 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (13 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (15 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16

ctomni231 (43 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21

Zero Volt (39 views)
2014-07-17 23:47:54

danieldean (32 views)
2014-07-17 23:41:23

MustardPeter (36 views)
2014-07-16 23:30:00

Cero (50 views)
2014-07-16 00:42:17

Riven (50 views)
2014-07-14 18:02:53
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org