Games in Android Showcase (120)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (577)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  
  Forgotten Elements 3D JAVA Action MMORPG  (Read 19640 times)
Offline Marlon
« Posted 2012-06-19 18:50:12 »

Hello out there!
I want to introduce you to my 3D Action MMORPG "Forgotten Elements" which recently evolved to a 3D game!
For the 3D part I use the 3D engine JPCT (http://www.jpct.net).
Feel free to try out the open beta, several hours of gameplay await you!
And here is the link to the game: http://www.forgottenelements.com

Offline Cero
« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-06-19 19:13:05 »

Offline Marlon
« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-06-19 19:23:19 »

I am not amused, either.
Blizzard just stole my idea of a skill bar and life/energy bulbs. Cheesy
Unfortunately I never played Diablo III...
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

Medals: 202

« Reply #3 - Posted 2012-06-19 19:28:24 »

Yeah so the UI is derivative, rest of it looks really quite pretty for an indie project.

jPCT eh?  Didn't know that was still going.
Offline Marlon
« Reply #4 - Posted 2012-06-19 19:43:55 »

Yeah so the UI is derivative, rest of it looks really quite pretty for an indie project.

Yeah, JPCT is still going! Smiley
Thanks for your words!

And I know that the UI won't win a price for innovation, but sometimes its better to not reinventing the wheel:
Mythos: http://www.mythoslevelingguide.com/wp-content/uploads/mythos-screenshot-2.jpg
Torchlight 2: http://img2.mmo.mmo4arab.com/news/2012/04/26/tl2/tl2_1640.jpg
Path of Exile: http://www.gameogre.com/mmoblog/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/path-of-exile-screen1.png
Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

Medals: 109
Projects: 3

You think about my Avatar right now!

« Reply #5 - Posted 2012-06-19 19:48:11 »

Yeah, JPCT is still going! Smiley
Thanks for your words!

And I know that the UI won't win a price for innovation, but sometimes its better to not reinventing the wheel:
Mythos: http://www.mythoslevelingguide.com/wp-content/uploads/mythos-screenshot-2.jpg
Torchlight 2: http://img2.mmo.mmo4arab.com/news/2012/04/26/tl2/tl2_1640.jpg
Path of Exile: http://www.gameogre.com/mmoblog/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/path-of-exile-screen1.png
Erm... ehh... LOL ? Cheesy
Follow the trend Cheesy

See my:
    My development Blog:     | Or look at my RPG | Or simply my coding
http://matheusdev.tumblr.comRuins of Revenge  |      On Github
Offline Marlon
« Reply #6 - Posted 2012-06-19 19:58:18 »

Erm... ehh... LOL ? Cheesy
Follow the trend Cheesy

Actually it's just a bar with 12 skill slots + 1 life bulb + 1 energy bulb.
Really simple, nothing stunning...
I don't think that this has something to do with "Trend".
Offline gouessej
« Reply #7 - Posted 2012-06-19 20:15:15 »

Hi

That's the kind of game I like to see in the "showcase" section  Grin Do you have a short video showing the 3D version? I have only found videos of the 2D version on Youtube.

Offline Cero
« Reply #8 - Posted 2012-06-19 20:24:17 »

Well the torchlight people of course use this UI, after all they are the former designers of diablo, so they invented it in the first place

At least it doesnt look like WOW, like almost every other new mmo these days...

Offline Marlon
« Reply #9 - Posted 2012-06-19 20:26:50 »

Hi

That's the kind of game I like to see in the "showcase" section  Grin Do you have a short video showing the 3D version? I have only found videos of the 2D version on Youtube.

Cool, that you like it! Smiley
Actually I wanted to do a 3D video as soon as possible (maybe this week). In addition players are welcome to record their gameplay and send it to me.
I will then make a complete video of many different areas and scenes...
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 404
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #10 - Posted 2012-06-19 20:58:25 »

Looks very good (no time to play it here tho' sadly). True, it could do with some "originality tweaks" in the main UI, but meh. Took you long enough to find JGO though eh?

Cas Smiley

Offline Roquen
« Reply #11 - Posted 2012-06-19 21:09:34 »

WTF?  What's the big deal about bubbles?  I didn't play Diablo 1, I did play #2 which used the same element and I remember thinking: Oh! That looks like XXX (what I don't remember).  So there're not bars...maybe they should be hour-glassed shaped?  Is that somehow more original?  WTF!!!???
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

Medals: 5

« Reply #12 - Posted 2012-06-19 21:45:32 »

I just checked it out, and wow! that was great!

it was a tiny bit clunky, but I actually played it for a little while.

I was a little bit lost though, like I couldnt even find the cave for the first quest Tongue.

EDIT: Just out of curiousity, how is your userbase? I checked the hall of fame, and there seems to be quite a few, do you have an actaul number to share with us?
Offline Marlon
« Reply #13 - Posted 2012-06-19 21:59:48 »

I just looked up the database: There are actually 14265 registered players. But the game was played more often, because you don't have to register to play it.
I have to mention, that the 2D version of the game is over 2 years old.
For the moment it is possible to play the 2D version as well as the 3D version and all players agitate in the same world.

Could you tell me what you mean with "clunky"? Any suggestions here?
Thanks for your feedback! Smiley
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 350
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #14 - Posted 2012-06-19 22:08:34 »

This is pretty cool! Don't have the time or hardware to try it out at the moment but it's quite a big accomplishment to actually finish an MMO Smiley

Could you share with us the technical details, especially for persistence, networking, etc...? Smiley

Offline Marlon
« Reply #15 - Posted 2012-06-19 22:17:26 »

This is pretty cool! Don't have the time or hardware to try it out at the moment but it's quite a big accomplishment to actually finish an MMO Smiley

Could you share with us the technical details, especially for persistence, networking, etc...? Smiley

Thanks for your words!

Mhhh.. technical details...
Basically Plain Old Java (wrote the 2D engine on my own) and JPCT for the 3D version.
For persistence I just use a database.
The MMO server communicates with the clients with the TCP protocol. I implemented the server with the help of JAVA NIO.

I hope that answers your question.
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

« Reply #16 - Posted 2012-06-19 22:26:33 »

Yeah, I tried the 2D version just for kicks, and it was great.

I went back to check what I meant, I think I mispoke when I said clunky, it was more that the combat was unresponsive, it would be nice if we could see a little blood splash or something when we hit so that we know something happened.

Its not a big deal, just a thought Smiley. Also, I included in the suggestion when quiting that it would be nice if item names highlighted when you hover over them on the ground just so that you know.

Another question, are you a lone developer? if not how many of you are there?
Offline Marlon
« Reply #17 - Posted 2012-06-19 22:38:49 »

Yeah, I tried the 2D version just for kicks, and it was great.

I went back to check what I meant, I think I mispoke when I said clunky, it was more that the combat was unresponsive, it would be nice if we could see a little blood splash or something when we hit so that we know something happened.

Its not a big deal, just a thought Smiley. Also, I included in the suggestion when quiting that it would be nice if item names highlighted when you hover over them on the ground just so that you know.

Another question, are you a lone developer? if not how many of you are there?

Thanks for the suggestion, I am going to change that in the future.
And yes, I am the only developer of Forgotten Elements (except the story and dialogues, which were done by a good friend of mine).
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

« Reply #18 - Posted 2012-06-20 09:13:13 »

Wow, that is impressive! Really an inspiration to see a single guy go the distance.

sorry for all the questions, but how are you planning on making revenue with this(if you are at all)?
Offline Marlon
« Reply #19 - Posted 2012-06-20 10:20:09 »

Wow, that is impressive! Really an inspiration to see a single guy go the distance.

sorry for all the questions, but how are you planning on making revenue with this(if you are at all)?

No problem, just ask! Wink

I am not sure if I ever will earn money with Forgotten Elements.
I didn't start the project to make profit (as perceived 99% other browsergame/online game developer [sorry]), I made it to realize a dream of mine.
So I will never sell items or other features, that make other players stronger. Forgotten Elements should be fair for everyone.
With the help of advertisement I am able to pay server fee and other business expenditure.
Unfortunately, after getting 15000 registered users only 4 donated money to Forgotten Elements. That's faaar to little, so I have to monetize other features, if I want to continue in 2013.

I thought about selling skill/attribute reset runes, so it is possible to unlearn skills and attributes for a small amount of money.
Furthermore I thought about selling items, which only beautify the players characters.
I think those options would be fair...

But the problem is, that I don't know how to make advertisement for the game, without paying a lot of money.
But we will see, when its done (Forgotten Elements is still in beta) ... Wink

Btw, sorry for my bad english:/
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

« Reply #20 - Posted 2012-06-20 12:00:57 »

How much do you make from ads, and how much does upkeep cost?
Offline Marlon
« Reply #21 - Posted 2012-06-20 12:13:55 »

How much do you make from ads, and how much does upkeep cost?

Not much = about 30 euros/month.
Offline arnaud_couturier
« Reply #22 - Posted 2012-06-20 13:21:46 »

Really nice, although I'm liking the 2D version as well Smiley

What do you use for your GUI ? FengGUI ?
Offline arnaud_couturier
« Reply #23 - Posted 2012-06-20 13:31:35 »

And why JPCT over jMonkeyEngine or any other engine ?
Offline Marlon
« Reply #24 - Posted 2012-06-20 14:11:42 »

Really nice, although I'm liking the 2D version as well Smiley

What do you use for your GUI ? FengGUI ?

Thanks! Smiley
I made the GUI from scratch, I just paint image over image... Wink

And why JPCT over jMonkeyEngine or any other engine ?

I had much trouble with Ardor3D, which i tried first. JMonkeyEngine seemed like a complete game engine to me. It would be too big for Forgotten Elements, that already existed as a 2D game before I started developing the 3D version.
JPCT is quite "developer friendly", straightforward and it really fits well with my project.
EgonOlsen (developer of JPCT) helped me pretty much, without that support I would'nt have advanced that fast.
It is my first 3D game, btw...
Offline gouessej
« Reply #25 - Posted 2012-06-20 17:24:46 »

I had much trouble with Ardor3D, which i tried first.
There are some examples on the official repository. Renanse, MrCoder and other contributors (including me) would have been glad to help you. I admit there are a few open source games using it  persecutioncomplex Ok there is only one open source game using it but it's mine so it's not my fault if other developers don't release their source codes. Ardor3D is reliable but it concentrates on fewer aspects than JMonkeyEngine, you have to fill the gap by yourself to create a real game.

JMonkeyEngine seemed like a complete game engine to me. It would be too big for Forgotten Elements, that already existed as a 2D game before I started developing the 3D version.
JMonkeyEngine has a very large community, tons of tutorials and lots of features but you're not forced to use and deploy them all, it is modularized.

JPCT is quite "developer friendly", straightforward and it really fits well with my project.
As it is proprietary (as far as I know), you still have to rely on its developer (who is kind).

Offline Marlon
« Reply #26 - Posted 2012-06-20 17:41:05 »

I was really impressed as I saw the Ardor3D demos on its website. Its really looking great and its fantastic what possibilities you have with the engine!
I wanted to test it, but after hours of work (In October 2011 I made a thread in the Ardor3D forum: http://ardor3d.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3579&p=12591&hilit=marlon#p12591), I gave up.
And yeah, now I remember, you helped me! Smiley The community and the team at Ardor3D is really nice!
But maybe the engine is not the first choice for my game.
On the same day I switched to JPCT and after a few minutes I had my first test program running...
Offline Roquen
« Reply #27 - Posted 2012-06-20 19:33:12 »

WRT: Making money.  I really like the "The Kingdom of Loathing" method.  There's a regular in game currency.  And when you donate you get a special currently per $10 donation.  The trick is that the donation currency is effectively a regular item than can be bought, sold and traded for in-game.  So no one is locked out of any special content that must be bought with the special currency.  And as most of the items only buyable with the special currency can be sold, bought and traded for in-game (monthly stuff BTW)...this creates a very interesting economy.
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

« Reply #28 - Posted 2012-06-20 19:44:53 »

Guild wars 2 is doing that exact thing, and when I read it I was pretty psyched, becuase finally I won't feel constantly locked out becuase I am cheap Tongue.
Offline Marlon
« Reply #29 - Posted 2012-06-20 20:11:24 »

Wow, this is a really cool idea! I will think about it! Smiley
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Longarmx (52 views)
2014-10-17 03:59:02

Norakomi (42 views)
2014-10-16 15:22:06

Norakomi (32 views)
2014-10-16 15:20:20

lcass (37 views)
2014-10-15 16:18:58

TehJavaDev (68 views)
2014-10-14 00:39:48

TehJavaDev (66 views)
2014-10-14 00:35:47

TehJavaDev (59 views)
2014-10-14 00:32:37

BurntPizza (73 views)
2014-10-11 23:24:42

BurntPizza (45 views)
2014-10-11 23:10:45

BurntPizza (85 views)
2014-10-11 22:30:10
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org