Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Newbie starting Java  (Read 2309 times)
Offline ZemmiPhobia

Junior Newbie

Sup.

« Posted 2012-06-18 18:48:16 »

:)Hi guys i would like to make an mmo Tongue i was wondering if you could help would be really cool ^_^ XDXDXD  Grin

Sorry, I really couldn't resist doing this considering how much you guys hate newbies asking about MMO's.

Anyways, my name is Zemmi and I live in the wonderfull country of the Netherlands. I've been doing GameMaker for 3 to 4 years right about now, and a week ago I got accepted for my study, game development. Now, they'll be teaching me Java and C++ at school but since I've got lots of spare time this summer I thought it would be nice to teach myself the basics of Java game development.

So far I've been watching the new bostons (beginner) java tutorials, just like DerekBanas Java tutorials, and I was wondering if I'm doing the right thing. I only want to develop games in Java, no other kind of applications so should I watch the (basic, not focussing) tutorials videos of Java or should I jump in with both feet by trying to make MineCraft mods?

I know my question isn't very clear, but the bottom line is: How did you guys learn to develop games in Java, and should I start with basic Java tutorials (like calculators) or immediatly start making games and learn it the hard way?

Thanks in advance!
Offline CyanPrime
« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-06-18 18:53:36 »

If you want to dev games in Java you need to check out LWJGL, and for 2d games Slick2d. DO NOT USE THE STANDARD LIBS FOR GAME DEV!
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 356
Projects: 3
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-06-18 19:15:36 »

Hey ZemmiPhobia and welcome to JGO!

This post is perfect for you Smiley

Good luck! Smiley

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline gouessej
« Reply #3 - Posted 2012-06-18 19:54:43 »

Hi

I don't really know your skills. Maybe just start by ... the beginning, a very simple game. You know that a MMO is a bit too much for a newbie  Wink If you decide to use Java2D despite CyanPrime's advice, you will have to switch to third party libraries (based on JogAmp and/or LWJGL like Slick, LibGDX, JGame, ...) later to get better performance and much more features. Good luck and welcome  Cheesy

Offline Damocles
« Reply #4 - Posted 2012-06-19 03:43:21 »

If you want to dev games in Java dont check out LWJGL and Slick2d  YET! . USE THE STANDARD LIBS FOR GAME DEV!

What is important for a beginner is to have a simple environment to play arount. Something with little dependencies (fuzzing arount with libs to include).
There are some "sandbox" codes floating around here that you can alter.

What you should look for is a code that does the following simple things:

-run the main gameloop (get the input, alter the gamestates, render the game, wait a while)
-loading and displaying images
-getting keyboard and mouseinputs
-display textmessages
-simple example how to a create player class and other worldobjects

Look for the simplest (but working) codes you can find, and then play around with them.
If you have a big pile of complicated code to begin with, it will just frustrate to work though it.

Make yourself some goals (like bulletpoints) what you want to learn, and then try to archive that.
This keep you not drifting off into too specific solutions.
Go to the next point when your current goal works fine.

like:

-diplay "hallo world"
-display an move around a red circle
-print "A" when pressing "space"
-make a gameloop with a constant framerendering (Thread.sleep(50); kind of stuff)

Offline philfrei
« Reply #5 - Posted 2012-06-19 06:08:47 »

You are going to get a wide range of opinions here, that is guaranteed!

For myself, I started with books about Java from the library, learning basics. Maybe you already have done this or already know basics about Java. If so, you can probably ignore this post. But if you are new to the language, there really is a lot of learn. I was coming from a background in VBA, a dialect of Visual Basic used in applications like Access, Excel, so breaking into the whole OOP concept was somewhat new.

I got frustrated that most library books around here (near Berkeley California) didn't get into animation. And the one that I did find was a bit too advanced for my knowledge in the first few months of studying this. So, I found it all kind of rough going.

One text to consider, imho, is vol. 1 of Horstmann's "Core Java", vol. 8. You get a great view of the basics, and he does have examples of graphics, and gets to a bouncing ball animation in the Threads chapter. His chapters on AWT & Swing are perhaps a bit easier to digest than going through the official Tutorials, and the example programs are solid. After 8 editions, the code is pretty well vetted.

The price is a minus, though. Big expensive book, and if you have trouble with OOP conceptually, something like "Head First Java" might be a helpful supplement.

Anyway, I'd say if you are a real beginner, his AWT & Swing chapters should get things going for you pretty well. Then, of the books written specifically for Java Games, I like Brackeen's "Developing Games in Java" the best.

I'm about 2.5 years into this, at this point. Still having fun and learning things.

Enjoy!

"It's after the end of the world! Don't you know that yet?"
Offline ZemmiPhobia

Junior Newbie

Sup.

« Reply #6 - Posted 2012-06-19 10:06:30 »

If you want to dev games in Java you need to check out LWJGL, and for 2d games Slick2d. DO NOT USE THE STANDARD LIBS FOR GAME DEV!

Allright... I'm a complete newbie and I have no idea what you just said.. Are these things I need to import into java? (like the scanner?)

For myself, I started with books about Java from the library, learning basics. Maybe you already have done this or already know basics about Java. If so, you can probably ignore this post. But if you are new to the language, there really is a lot of learn. I was coming from a background in VBA, a dialect of Visual Basic used in applications like Access, Excel, so breaking into the whole OOP concept was somewhat new.

I got frustrated that most library books around here (near Berkeley California) didn't get into animation. And the one that I did find was a bit too advanced for my knowledge in the first few months of studying this. So, I found it all kind of rough going.

One text to consider, imho, is vol. 1 of Horstmann's "Core Java", vol. 8. You get a great view of the basics, and he does have examples of graphics, and gets to a bouncing ball animation in the Threads chapter. His chapters on AWT & Swing are perhaps a bit easier to digest than going through the official Tutorials, and the example programs are solid. After 8 editions, the code is pretty well vetted.

The price is a minus, though. Big expensive book, and if you have trouble with OOP conceptually, something like "Head First Java" might be a helpful supplement.

Anyway, I'd say if you are a real beginner, his AWT & Swing chapters should get things going for you pretty well. Then, of the books written specifically for Java Games, I like Brackeen's "Developing Games in Java" the best.

Yeah, I'm a real beginner. I've been coding in Game Maker for a few years so I understand how variables, OOP and if loops work, but I've never even looked at C++ or any 'real' coding language.

Anyways, keep the post coming Smiley
Offline SkyAphid
« Reply #7 - Posted 2012-06-19 10:58:23 »

Allright... I'm a complete newbie and I have no idea what you just said.. Are these things I need to import into java? (like the scanner?)

Yeah, I'm a real beginner. I've been coding in Game Maker for a few years so I understand how variables, OOP and if loops work, but I've never even looked at C++ or any 'real' coding language.

Anyways, keep the post coming Smiley
If you're literally brand new to java, here are some links to get you started:

(NewBostons videos, watch them all before doing everything below; this is how I learned, took two or so days.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl-zzrqQoSE

(Installing new libraries for new functionality)
http://www.wikihow.com/Add-JARs-to-Project-Build-Paths-in-Eclipse-%28Java%29
(LWJGL Website)
http://www.lwjgl.org/
(Or, if you want to use Slick2D, which is simpler in a few cases)
http://slick.cokeandcode.com/

“Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else. The trick is the doing something else.” ~Leonardo da Vinci
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #8 - Posted 2012-06-19 10:59:01 »

Start here: http://www.cokeandcode.com/info/tut2d.html

And don't forget to check out the follow up 102, 103, etc. (links top right).

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline ZemmiPhobia

Junior Newbie

Sup.

« Reply #9 - Posted 2012-06-19 12:54:19 »

(NewBostons videos, watch them all before doing everything below; this is how I learned, took two or so days.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl-zzrqQoSE

(Installing new libraries for new functionality)
http://www.wikihow.com/Add-JARs-to-Project-Build-Paths-in-Eclipse-%28Java%29
(LWJGL Website)
http://www.lwjgl.org/
(Or, if you want to use Slick2D, which is simpler in a few cases)
http://slick.cokeandcode.com/

Aah, I'm glad I already started watching this series. Should I also watch his advanced and game development series?

Start here: http://www.cokeandcode.com/info/tut2d.html

And don't forget to check out the follow up 102, 103, etc. (links top right).

Thanks, I already took a quick look and it looks very usefull Smiley
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

Medals: 5

« Reply #10 - Posted 2012-06-19 15:25:55 »

I personally started with Java2D, moved to slick, then back to Java2D. Just a thought.

Whichever path you go, just remember to make sure you understand what the hell is going on, don't just copy code and say you'll learn it later, always learn now Smiley.
Offline ZemmiPhobia

Junior Newbie

Sup.

« Reply #11 - Posted 2012-06-19 15:36:34 »

I personally started with Java2D, moved to slick, then back to Java2D. Just a thought.

Whichever path you go, just remember to make sure you understand what the hell is going on, don't just copy code and say you'll learn it later, always learn now Smiley.

Did you had any kind of Java experience before this?
Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

Medals: 114

You think about my Avatar right now!

« Reply #12 - Posted 2012-06-19 15:40:51 »

Offtopic:
-diplay "hallo world"
German ? Cheesy

See my:
    My development Blog:     | Or look at my RPG | Or simply my coding
http://matheusdev.tumblr.comRuins of Revenge  |      On Github
Offline ZemmiPhobia

Junior Newbie

Sup.

« Reply #13 - Posted 2012-06-19 16:28:23 »

Nope, Dutch.. Although I'm now kinda ashamed to tell this after our huge defeat by you guys...
Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

Medals: 114

You think about my Avatar right now!

« Reply #14 - Posted 2012-06-19 16:34:18 »

Nah, did not want to say it to you (and YAY WE WON.. BAAAM Cheesy ), it was ment for Damocles, because "hallo" is the German word for "hello" Smiley (happens sometimes to me, when I want to write "hello"...)

See my:
    My development Blog:     | Or look at my RPG | Or simply my coding
http://matheusdev.tumblr.comRuins of Revenge  |      On Github
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

Medals: 5

« Reply #15 - Posted 2012-06-19 17:40:50 »

Depends what you count as experience, I was like 9 years old and I had written some programs, but nothing too complicated, things like statistics (mean, mode, median, etc) and I did an encryption program (algorithm sucked Wink ).

but considering I was 9 and figured it out, as long as you take your time you shouldn't have a problem Smiley
Offline Damocles
« Reply #16 - Posted 2012-06-19 18:18:00 »

I actually ment "Halo World" Wink

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

rwatson462 (33 views)
2014-12-15 09:26:44

Mr.CodeIt (24 views)
2014-12-14 19:50:38

BurntPizza (51 views)
2014-12-09 22:41:13

BurntPizza (84 views)
2014-12-08 04:46:31

JscottyBieshaar (46 views)
2014-12-05 12:39:02

SHC (60 views)
2014-12-03 16:27:13

CopyableCougar4 (62 views)
2014-11-29 21:32:03

toopeicgaming1999 (124 views)
2014-11-26 15:22:04

toopeicgaming1999 (114 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:36

toopeicgaming1999 (32 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:08
Resources for WIP games
by kpars
2014-12-18 10:26:14

Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org