News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
  ignore  |  Print  
  Preferred OS?  (Read 44427 times)
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #360 - Posted 2012-06-30 07:20:57 »

@Riven
But I see JavaOS has GUI (swing), not ASCII like that. I mean, how the hell you create partition table, MBR, etc with Java.
They have a minimal layer of assembler (not C)
Let me guess, that layer will serve for JVM and execute the very first main class that chaining to perform an OS functions.

Offline Roquen
« Reply #361 - Posted 2012-06-30 14:21:27 »

@nsigma - what I was bitching about was the 'settings' UI.  There's hardly anything to configure there.  I can't make any real changes to the UI (fonts, DPI, gui tweeks, etc.) and worse (IMHO) look at the User config. No advanced button to manage groups, home, encrypted home, quotas.  Pretty much no admin functionality.  IHMO: totally noobs and folks with moderate experience should be able to be up-and-running in a minimal amount of time without needed to resort to web-searches or punting and simply editing the plain-text files.
Offline moogie

JGO Knight

Medals: 12
Projects: 6
Exp: 10 years

Java games rock!

« Reply #362 - Posted 2012-06-30 14:59:13 »

I never knew that there existed a "java" OS.... interesting... I will like to see how well it performs.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline nsigma
« Reply #363 - Posted 2012-06-30 16:38:04 »

@nsigma - what I was bitching about was the 'settings' UI.  There's hardly anything to configure there.  I can't make any real changes to the UI (fonts, DPI, gui tweeks, etc.) and worse (IMHO) look at the User config. No advanced button to manage groups, home, encrypted home, quotas.  Pretty much no admin functionality.  IHMO: totally noobs and folks with moderate experience should be able to be up-and-running in a minimal amount of time without needed to resort to web-searches or punting and simply editing the plain-text files.

Bearing in mind the target audience, I fail to see how you equate advanced user management with the need for noobs and those with moderate experience to be up-and-running quickly.  Reducing the settings UI to the basic functions most people are likely to need is a good thing in my opinion, and it's not just Ubuntu making this sort of move.  Advanced user management is hardly needed by the average user, and there's a one-click install GUI or the CLI tools for those likely to - which is primarily enterprise usage, no?  The one thing perhaps missing is support for an encrypted home folder for new users (though you can easily set one on install for the primary user).

Similarly, I don't understand the desire for so much UI tweaking.  The three things I wanted to do - change launcher icon size, set the launcher to auto-hide and change the desktop background (love the way the UI colours change to match the background!) are all immediately accessible.  That's more changes than the vast majority of your average Windows user makes!  And MyUnity is again a one-click install for those who want more control, which apart from around here I'd guess is a small minority.

Praxis LIVE - open-source intermedia toolkit and live interactive visual editor
Digital Prisoners - interactive spaces and projections
Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

Medals: 201

« Reply #364 - Posted 2012-06-30 17:16:08 »

I don't understand your desire to change icon size, auto-hide things, or change backgrounds.  You need to get out of your old way of thinking and stop endlessly tweaking things and get used to the way things are.

Annoying, isn't it?
Offline nsigma
« Reply #365 - Posted 2012-06-30 18:46:22 »

I don't understand your desire to change icon size, auto-hide things, or change backgrounds.  You need to get out of your old way of thinking and stop endlessly tweaking things and get used to the way things are.

Annoying, isn't it?

LOL, no! You slightly missed my point, though I should have been more explicit I meant OOTB. I think the UI shows Canonical have done proper research on what the majority might want to change, and left everything else out by default (it's still there for power users) Design for the majority! You really think a dialog with hundreds of options is better UI design?

Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

« Reply #366 - Posted 2012-06-30 19:14:14 »

Canonical's "research" is a farrago of confirmation biases to reinforce what the gnome designers wanted in the first place.  I have alternatives, I've chosen them, so I'm really no longer interested in challenging the epistemic closure of the gnome developers.  Let them do their own thing, let them sink or swim.
Offline ags1

JGO Ninja

Medals: 46
Projects: 2
Exp: 5 years

Make code not war!

« Reply #367 - Posted 2012-06-30 19:45:41 »

All OSes are pretty good these days. It's not like the bad old days of Windows ME :-) (Remember that one?)

Ubuntu floats my boat - that 10 second boot time is so nice. But there's lots of nice stuff in Vista too.

It's like coke: you drink it how it comes out of the bottle. Most people don't complain. But give people a choice and they get picky and opinionated. Like coffee, black, sugar, dark roast, cappucchino. Out of the hundred ways of making coffee, everyone manages to have only one or two ways they actually like. So if there were less operating systems, people would be happier with the OS they have. And if the OS offered fewer look and feel tweaks, people would spend less wasted hours tweaking the number of pixels between the X button and window bezel.

Offline Cero
« Reply #368 - Posted 2012-06-30 19:56:46 »

It's not like the bad old days of Windows ME :-) (Remember that one?)

Ah sure I remem-

Hold on a second...

Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 128
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

« Reply #369 - Posted 2012-07-01 01:25:54 »

All OSes are pretty good these days. It's not like the bad old days of Windows ME :-) (Remember that one?)

Ubuntu floats my boat - that 10 second boot time is so nice. But there's lots of nice stuff in Vista too.

It's like coke: you drink it how it comes out of the bottle. Most people don't complain. But give people a choice and they get picky and opinionated. Like coffee, black, sugar, dark roast, cappucchino. Out of the hundred ways of making coffee, everyone manages to have only one or two ways they actually like. So if there were less operating systems, people would be happier with the OS they have. And if the OS offered fewer look and feel tweaks, people would spend less wasted hours tweaking the number of pixels between the X button and window bezel.
Actually, Windows 8 boots up pretty fast too. But that's a nice analogy.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

« Reply #370 - Posted 2012-07-01 02:49:00 »

Yeah it's a pretty well-known effect called a Choice Paradox.  I'd prefer to have it.
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #371 - Posted 2012-07-01 04:56:30 »

It's better to confused in choosing rather there's only one single option.

Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

« Reply #372 - Posted 2012-07-01 07:07:43 »

Well, if there's only one option, then people won't know about anything better, right?
Offline nsigma
« Reply #373 - Posted 2012-07-01 11:51:18 »

Yeah it's a pretty well-known effect called a Choice Paradox.  I'd prefer to have it.

I'm not anti-choice or advocating for some Apple-esque lock down, just don't think you need to confuse the majority with choices only required by the minority, as long as they're available somehow.  Recently had to hack the GTK theme files (to work around a Java bug I hasten to add) and glad that it's actually possible.

Interesting article here on Wordpress - http://wordpress.org/about/philosophy/ - chosen because it's not about an OS but illustrates the point well.  Also chosen because I dislike Wordpress a lot, but I know a lot of people like it, often for the reasons on this page.  And all of us around here should remember we're part of the 1%!  Wink

Canonical's "research" is a farrago of confirmation biases to reinforce what the gnome designers wanted in the first place.

Apart from obviously unity != gnome (at least the parts I was talking about), I'd generally agree with you in that most product research has a tendency to reinforce existing biases.  I don't think it negates the process entirely, though, and I think the UI research Canonical has done as part of Ayatana has been a step forward (if minor) in UI development on Linux.

Offline Roquen
« Reply #374 - Posted 2012-07-01 12:14:10 »

Note: page 13 of this thread and the only nod to OS's is that reliability is pretty much driver dependent.  Everything else is user space programs.
Offline nsigma
« Reply #375 - Posted 2012-07-01 12:19:40 »

Note: page 13 of this thread and the only nod to OS's is that reliability is pretty much driver dependent.  Everything else is user space programs.

Grin

You'll have to wait until at least page 42 for that.  But we have discussed the evilness of Monsanto, and that has an O and an S in it.  This will soon turn into a discussion on life, the universe and everything.  Thanks for all the fish.

Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 336
Projects: 2
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #376 - Posted 2012-07-01 21:13:01 »

Grin

You'll have to wait until at least page 42 for that.  But we have discussed the evilness of Monsanto, and that has an O and an S in it.  This will soon turn into a discussion on life, the universe and everything.  Thanks for all the fish.
I really needed that laugh, thanks! Grin

Offline Roquen
« Reply #377 - Posted 2012-07-01 21:48:22 »

That would be a great OS crash message:  "Don't panic".
Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

« Reply #378 - Posted 2012-07-01 21:58:15 »

On Linux SPARC, a kernel oops includes this:

[    0.982046]               \|/ ____ \|/
[    0.982054]               "@'/ .. \`@"
[    0.982058]               /_| \__/ |_\
[    0.982063]                  \__U_/

Offline nsigma
« Reply #379 - Posted 2012-07-01 21:59:11 »

We should replace the BSOD with a suffusion of yellow.

Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

« Reply #380 - Posted 2012-07-03 02:19:06 »

We really must e-mail Bill Gates about our ideas.
Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

« Reply #381 - Posted 2012-07-03 02:52:03 »

Yellow Screen of Death is the error screen for ASP.NET applications.
Offline PaulCunningham

Medals: 2

« Reply #382 - Posted 2012-07-03 10:47:11 »

Thought I'd update the Linux Mint session gathering dust in my VM

Installing Chrome on Linux Mint...
Tried the Software Manager application - Google Chrome not listed.

So, old school then...

Click the big button
"Please select your download package"
    32 bit .deb (For Debian/Ubuntu)
    64 bit .deb (For Debian/Ubuntu)
    32 bit .rpm (For Fedora/openSUSE)
    64 bit .rpm (For Fedora/openSUSE)
Accept and Install...
You have chosen to open blah - What should Firefox do with this file? Open With [BROWSE] / Save
Choose Open - nothing listed that looks like it would do anything
Choose Save
App downloads
Right click, Open
Archive Manager opens and shows 4 folders - nothing installed
Got bored and cancelled the 'installation'

Fail!

Instructions on the Google help page don't reflect the actual experience.

Fail!

Off to Google to see if that helps...

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ie=UTF-8#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=linux+mint+install+chrome&oq=linux+mint+install+chrome&gs_l=hp.3..0j0i8i30l3.9495.13711.0.13817.2.2.0.0.0.0.50.50.1.1.0...0.0.twNg63MSwmQ&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=c72d84806ae8a6&biw=1324&bih=876

1st link: http://www.itworld.com/software/237571/install-google-chrome-linux-mint-12

Typing long commands into Terminal window

Fail

"ERROR: This command can only be run as root"

Fail

Persist with commands. Nothing installs

Fail

Really bored now - back to Windows 7, productivity increases.

PS - Installing Chrome on Windows...
One click on a big button

WIN!
Offline nsigma
« Reply #383 - Posted 2012-07-03 11:26:08 »

Thought I'd update the Linux Mint session gathering dust in my VM

Installing Chrome on Linux Mint...
Tried the Software Manager application - Google Chrome not listed.
<snip>

On Ubuntu 12.04, search "Google Chrome" find Chromium (which is the base of Chrome, sans Google tracking - think they get enough information about me as is!), install.  Or download .deb from Google, click to open in software centre, install.

As Mint shares the same basic repos as Ubuntu, I'm surprised if they've managed to make it that much harder.  If they've got it set to open .deb files in the archive manager by default and don't offer the option to open in a package manager (GDebi at least) that sounds like a massive fail! 

Offline PaulCunningham

« Reply #384 - Posted 2012-07-03 11:33:59 »

There's no open in software centre option.

GDebi is not installed by default (at least not in my version).

Seems like I've managed to bugger up Update Manager now due to the google / chrome commands...

E:Malformed line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google.list (dist)

Contains...
deb http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/stable/main
deb http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/stable/main

I like the idea of Linux, just not all the faffing. GDebi should be installed and hooked up to install stuff seamlessly.
Offline nsigma
« Reply #385 - Posted 2012-07-03 11:41:53 »

I like the idea of Linux Mint, just not all the faffing. GDebi should be installed and hooked up to install stuff seamlessly.

There, fixed that for you!  Tongue

Actually, my old version of Mint worked fine with GDebi - like I said, big fail if it's not.  One of the reasons I switched back to Ubuntu - too many stupid niggles and bugs in Mint, despite the outward sheen.

Current Ubuntu is as easy to do this as I mentioned in my previous post - specifically checked.

Offline PaulCunningham

« Reply #386 - Posted 2012-07-03 11:55:23 »

Installed GDebi.
Right click 'google-chrome-stable_current_i386.deb' Open With GDebi Package Installer...
"Error! Could not open 'google-chrome-stable_current_i386.deb" The package might be corrupted or you are not allowed to open the file: please check the permissions of the file.

Download 4 times. Officially giving up now.
Offline xsvenson
« Reply #387 - Posted 2012-07-04 16:11:58 »

[ot]
Bestest thread ever!! I just red the whole thread starting from the beginning. Even followed some of the links and red those posts too. Great !

Now I just have to make up for the lost hours somehow

Keep it up!
[/ot]

Started with win 3.11, currently win7, don't like any unix/linux I have used in my life. Mac, don't like the gui and the pricetag.
Don't want shortcuts, don't want commandline. Boot time is irrelevant, pc is up 24/7. BSOD, cannot remember when I last saw one.
Hangs and crashes and lags in program running all seem to me like some mythical beings from Tolkien stories.
I know a few mac users and when they tell me that mac is more stable and reliable, I do undestand the words, but I cannot comprehend the meaning. I mean, when something works perfectly how can there be something better ?
So currently, I see no need to switch or to even look at any other OS.

“The First Rule of Program Optimization: Don't do it. The Second Rule of Program Optimization (for experts only!): Don't do it yet.” - Michael A. Jackson
Offline nsigma
« Reply #388 - Posted 2012-07-04 16:48:44 »

I know a few mac users and when they tell me that mac is more stable and reliable, I do undestand the words, but I cannot comprehend the meaning.

Always makes me laugh too.  In my experience, stability is Linux -> Windows -> Mac.  And Mac a long way back.  I haven't met a Mac yet that didn't crash because I looked at it funny!  Wink

Offline Roquen
« Reply #389 - Posted 2012-07-04 17:17:15 »

The vast majority of people do most things for irrational reasons.  Choosing their OS is simply an example.  Like with music: " what rocks" vs. "what sucks", people choose a camp and tend to stick with it regardless.  I guess there's a subconsciousness level of being a member of an elite group thing going on.  Luckily most of us (if you fall/fell into that trap) will/did grow out of the music thing with age.  Too bad that doesn't seem to work for everything else.

I really love, for instance, the microsoft stole everything.  That's awesome!  If you really think so maybe try reading some ms research papers (publicly available kids).  They really can't come up with anything new with chumps like multiple Turing Award and Fields winners.  Never heard of Hugues Hoppe or Jim Blinn for instance?  Then you have highly unsuccessfully companies like Valve just to show they hire incompetent people.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

ctomni231 (37 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21

Zero Volt (35 views)
2014-07-17 23:47:54

danieldean (28 views)
2014-07-17 23:41:23

MustardPeter (31 views)
2014-07-16 23:30:00

Cero (46 views)
2014-07-16 00:42:17

Riven (47 views)
2014-07-14 18:02:53

OpenGLShaders (36 views)
2014-07-14 16:23:47

Riven (36 views)
2014-07-14 11:51:35

quew8 (32 views)
2014-07-13 13:57:52

SHC (69 views)
2014-07-12 17:50:04
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org