Games in Android Showcase (119)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (576)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  ignore  |  Print  
  New FPS/RPG, A Work in Progress: Dysis  (Read 25100 times)
Offline Arktos
« Posted 2012-06-08 17:03:00 »

[size=16pt]Steam Greenlight Update[/size]
Dysis just reached the top 100 games on Steam Greenlight!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=107019583

[size=12pt]UPDATE[/size]
Hey all, I'm launching a Kickstarter!
Details can be found here on the new site: http://dysis.net/
Or here on the Kickstarter Page: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/330858688/dysis

And here is the youtube launch trailer (though it doesn't have all the commentary that the kickstarter has!):
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjZ3M02iaGw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjZ3M02iaGw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>

Thanks for the support, and check out the rewards!

All the best,
-Chris

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

Hey all,

I've been working on this game for a few months now, it is a voxel (and cube) based FPS/RPG - I wanted to post some pictures here and a video and get some feedback, but before we get too far along, I just want to state that I am aware that cube based games look a lot like Minecraft, and I'm not trying to steal/clone that at all - I am just inspired by the cube/modifiable terrain and would also like to build a game with those features (my game plays quite differently, and I've written everything from the ground up). Thanks for listening, and I hope you like my work!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kZxulGGVGe4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/kZxulGGVGe4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>
Offline Sickan

Senior Duke

Medals: 9

« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-06-08 17:17:21 »

Nice, you came here Cheesy

I must say you've done great progress with the latest video. The screen after explosions is a lovely concept that I'd like to see in more games. And the whole game has a kind of polished feel to it.
Offline CyanPrime
« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-06-08 17:21:37 »

Cool game, does it use JMonkeyEngine?
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Arktos
« Reply #3 - Posted 2012-06-08 17:23:53 »

Thanks - and I appreciate the suggestion to make my way over here! I really like that block/pixelate effect too, it seems to fit well with the whole cube nature of the game Smiley

The polish is certainly coming along, hopefully not too slowly, I'm adding lots of stuff that isn't easy to see graphically, plus the visuals take a while to develop (new models/textures/what-have-you), and I'm try to focus on game-play features all the while... haha

CyanPrime - nope! I just use LWJGL to give me access to openGL and keyboard/mouse capture.
Offline davidllanos22

Junior Duke

Projects: 2

I'm just a learner!

« Reply #4 - Posted 2012-06-08 17:27:50 »

This looks amazing! Team Fortress 2+Minecraft = epic Cheesy Keep it up! Smiley

Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 136
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

« Reply #5 - Posted 2012-06-09 00:32:18 »

Looks pretty good, but is there no reload for weapons?
Offline Ryonik

Senior Newbie

Medals: 1

« Reply #6 - Posted 2012-06-09 02:55:35 »

amazing, I would definitely like to play this game, seems promising. Better keep an eye on this... Oh btw, did you know Dysis is the name of some musical band?
Offline Arktos
« Reply #7 - Posted 2012-06-09 03:04:08 »

Thanks! No reload yet, I am still adding in new weapons, so for the most part I just have a set ammo count for testing (you'll notice the default machine gun doesn't use bullets at all, haha. Again, just for testing). But I do plan on having reloads and specific clip sizes for each weapon, plus weapon animations and stuff too Smiley I'll probably add in the rest of the weapons this week, then flush out the HUD and UI and Crosshair stuff before moving on to other game-play aspects (gotta get it nailed down since it is always on the screen).

Ryonik, first off - thank you! Second, yes? I did in fact, though I didn't realize when I began development (whoops). I've grown to quite like the name, and have given it some purpose (so here it is):
A Dyson Sphere is a superstructure that would completely encompass a sun (the entire surface area facing the sun could be populated or at least be used to collect massive solar energy - if you aren't familiar, here's a link to a wiki - it's a very cool concept: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere

I am coining the word 'Dysis' to be a segment or ring of a Dyson Sphere - either a partially complete Dyson Sphere, or just a testing phase for a race of aliens preparing to build a Dyson Sphere (which I am building into the background of my story).

So while there does in fact seem to be some band named Dysis, I've already set up my Dysis webpage at http://dysis.net/, and have already built it into my story, so I will probably stick to it at this point Smiley
Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 136
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

« Reply #8 - Posted 2012-06-09 03:06:37 »

You copied some of the weapons off other games, right?
first screenshot - tribes ascend pathfinder
video - halo AR
Offline Arktos
« Reply #9 - Posted 2012-06-09 03:18:23 »

My machine gun looks like this:

And my grenade launcher is like this:

The machine gun (in the video) is definitely inspired by the halo assault rifle, though I'll be whipping up some textures for all of these and hopefully get a bit away from that. The grenade launcher looks a bit similar to the Tribes Ascend SpinFusor I suppose, but the model is actually quite different when seen from other angles (the idea for the grenade launcher is that it is supposed to be tiered and flat to represent how the grenades behave - they explode outwards in expanding discs). Again, I'll be texturing all of these, so hopefully that'll help distinguish my models more-so? I certainly have no intention of out-right copying weapons from other games, just borrowing inspiration and adding my own flair. In any case... they are guns, so they will tend to look like other guns :/ But that is the reason that my mining laser is not a pickaxe Smiley
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Ryonik

Senior Newbie

Medals: 1

« Reply #10 - Posted 2012-06-09 03:30:29 »

So while there does in fact seem to be some band named Dysis, I've already set up my Dysis webpage at http://dysis.net/, and have already built it into my story, so I will probably stick to it at this point Smiley

Well, if at some point this game gets popular and you might need to trademark the game, that won't be a problem if you do it before the band does it hah, no but actually the name is used already by some companies and it probably is registered as a trademark already. But indeed, just from that explanation you gave me, the name is fitting. But just to put it out there as game, the website could be called Dysisonline.net or Dysisthegame.net ... just food for thought. Either way, keep up the good work. I look forward to a playable demo.  Wink
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #11 - Posted 2012-06-09 13:12:34 »

It's mentioned by LWJGL too: https://twitter.com/LWJGL/statuses/211418201718931456

Offline Vladiedoo
« Reply #12 - Posted 2012-06-10 17:48:17 »

This is amazing, nice work.
Offline Arktos
« Reply #13 - Posted 2012-06-10 19:53:32 »

Very cool! Man, LWJGL is great Cheesy

Vladiedoo - thank you!
Offline Cero
« Reply #14 - Posted 2012-06-11 01:26:18 »

Ah you use this too:
http://www.freesound.org/people/alienbomb/sounds/39068/

I guess we all use FreeSound.org but in the end it has way too few effects for us all =D

Offline Giovanni

Junior Duke

chop!

« Reply #15 - Posted 2012-06-11 19:11:09 »

I like it, especially the graphics style. Keep it up!
Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

Medals: 202

« Reply #16 - Posted 2012-06-11 19:54:30 »

Looks nifty, I dig the whole aesthetic even though I'm not normally a big voxel fan (which let's face it usually means minecraft or some lame attempt at voxatron).   I like the whole aspect of terrain-deforming weapons -- I always have a lot of fun with Red Faction Guerilla, but I'm always annoyed I can't just carve out a whole hillside with the nano-gun Smiley

As for the name, I'd be most worried about EA and their Crysis trademark. 
Offline Sickan

Senior Duke

« Reply #17 - Posted 2012-06-13 22:22:29 »

Looks nifty, I dig the whole aesthetic even though I'm not normally a big voxel fan (which let's face it usually means minecraft or some lame attempt at voxatron).   I like the whole aspect of terrain-deforming weapons -- I always have a lot of fun with Red Faction Guerilla, but I'm always annoyed I can't just carve out a whole hillside with the nano-gun Smiley

As for the name, I'd be most worried about EA and their Crysis trademark. 

I think he got the voxel aspect right. Not too much, but enough. And with EA being the jerks they are you'll never now.
Offline Arktos
« Reply #18 - Posted 2012-06-21 01:51:13 »

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Cero - yep! you caught me :p

I've been working on my character animation tool so I can get some good motions (you know... running, jumping, jetpack flying) into the game - anyone else done something like this?

Offline davedes
« Reply #19 - Posted 2012-06-21 02:22:29 »

Bloody impressive, especially the toolset you've got alongside it. You should release that with your game, to try and build a mini "modding" community.

What software are you using for modeling/animation?

Do you plan to texture the models, or keep them as clay? When I first saw the video/screenshots, I figured the textures were unfinished. If you don't want to go too heavy into detail -- then what about colour differences, basic shaders (i.e. metallic/reflective materials), and what have you?

I've been meaning to get my feet wet with more modeling/animation/texturing in Maya...

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 404
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #20 - Posted 2012-06-21 07:26:43 »

This is awesome!

Cas Smiley

Offline gimbal

JGO Knight

Medals: 25

« Reply #21 - Posted 2012-06-21 15:38:29 »

The guns can be a little smaller for my taste, but the idea looks incredibly solid and the progress so far is epic. Really well done!
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #22 - Posted 2012-06-21 19:18:02 »

Very awesome. Looking forward to this.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline Arktos
« Reply #23 - Posted 2012-06-22 04:01:09 »

Bloody impressive, especially the toolset you've got alongside it. You should release that with your game, to try and build a mini "modding" community.

What software are you using for modeling/animation?

Do you plan to texture the models, or keep them as clay? When I first saw the video/screenshots, I figured the textures were unfinished. If you don't want to go too heavy into detail -- then what about colour differences, basic shaders (i.e. metallic/reflective materials), and what have you?

I've been meaning to get my feet wet with more modeling/animation/texturing in Maya...

davedes - Thanks a bunch! I definitely plan on releasing this tool and hopefully a couple others with the game in the hopes that people will add in their own ideas Cheesy

Yep, I definitely plan on adding in textures to the models - just haven't gotten there yet Smiley

I use Autodesk Inventor for modelling actually, since it deals with 3d objects in terms of volumes (so that way I can keep poly count relatively down... since I am not proficient in something like Maya - I would end up adding a bunch of shapes together to make a mesh - where inventor will solve for me. I build (real) humanoid robots and model their parts in Inventor - so I am already familiar with how to make stuff there, haha). As for animation, it's just this tool actually! And I just added my own smooth bezier curve interpolation algorithm to it to make motions really nice (I'll be throwing up a video at some point to show how this tool works), but here is a snap so you can see the big difference between how the motion works (currently you can switch between linear, s-curve and bezier curve interpolation):

Cas - thanks! I've actually seen a bunch of your posts around and definitely am inspired by your work - so it is great to hear from you!

gimbal - thank you! I have actually already made the weapons smaller at this point, I just haven't gotten together a new set of in-game shots/video to show that off - and I wanted them to be working with the new player model and animations Smiley

Eli Delventhal - thank you! I'm definitely looking forward to getting it out there! Cheesy
Offline Arktos
« Reply #24 - Posted 2012-06-26 02:00:45 »

Another quick new update, in another attempt to distance myself from Minecraft I'm adding level of detail to chunks, so closer chunks will look more pretty Smiley

(at the moment this is just with leaf blocks for trees, but I already have some other blocks under way and will be adding a bunch of new foliage)

Offline Sickan

Senior Duke

« Reply #25 - Posted 2012-06-26 19:12:54 »

Another quick new update, in another attempt to distance myself from Minecraft I'm adding level of detail to chunks, so closer chunks will look more pretty Smiley

(at the moment this is just with leaf blocks for trees, but I already have some other blocks under way and will be adding a bunch of new foliage)
That's good, less fanboys on the Minecraft Forums will yell at you. As always, can't wait to see more!
Offline Arktos
« Reply #26 - Posted 2012-06-28 23:20:06 »

Haha, yes indeed - always a good thing.

Per your request - here is a working video of the character animation tool (I build a character from 3d models and textures, then animate him to run):

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BOTbJGUkshA?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/BOTbJGUkshA?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>

(I recommend going and viewing the HD version as there is text, but up to you!)
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #27 - Posted 2012-06-29 18:36:36 »

Dude that tool is pretty amazing. Nice work.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline Arktos
« Reply #28 - Posted 2012-07-16 03:28:24 »

Thank you a bunch! Cheesy

I've been hard at work whipping up a new engine that utilizes hex prisms instead of cubes - check it out!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wJydhciqW10?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/wJydhciqW10?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>
Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

Medals: 26
Projects: 3
Exp: 6 years

One for all!

« Reply #29 - Posted 2012-07-16 11:35:12 »

This is super cool. I am digging the hexes  Cheesy
Saw this on Reddit too, today. To the top!  Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Longarmx (41 views)
2014-10-17 03:59:02

Norakomi (33 views)
2014-10-16 15:22:06

Norakomi (26 views)
2014-10-16 15:20:20

lcass (30 views)
2014-10-15 16:18:58

TehJavaDev (59 views)
2014-10-14 00:39:48

TehJavaDev (60 views)
2014-10-14 00:35:47

TehJavaDev (50 views)
2014-10-14 00:32:37

BurntPizza (66 views)
2014-10-11 23:24:42

BurntPizza (38 views)
2014-10-11 23:10:45

BurntPizza (80 views)
2014-10-11 22:30:10
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org