Games in Android Showcase (119)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (575)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  ignore  |  Print  
  New FPS/RPG, A Work in Progress: Dysis  (Read 25058 times)
Offline Gjallar

JGO Coder

Medals: 13
Projects: 1

Follower of Nurgle

« Reply #90 - Posted 2012-10-29 23:07:21 »

Thanks! Wow... I didn't even know it existed - definitely going to check it out though! Can you pilot/control all the units/in first person? Cool!

Now that you mention it, I dont think so. As far as I remember you can jump into a hero-unit which then starts to drain a power-bar (which recharges while you are not in a hero-unit).

But as far as I recall it was great fun to cleave through armies of weak footsoldiers with your hero  Grin
Offline Arktos
« Reply #91 - Posted 2012-10-29 23:20:41 »

Yea! That's the idea - I'll be introducing the Architect character in the next gameplay vid and he will be a lot more fun to pilot. Take more hits, can also build structures/modify the terrain. Should be a lot of fun pounding on the robot fodder Smiley
Offline Joshua Waring
« Reply #92 - Posted 2012-10-30 01:50:57 »

This will be my first backing, there goes my $20, I'm loving the videos. It's the type of game I would love!
although where have the hex's gone D:

The world is big, so learn it in small bytes.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Arktos
« Reply #93 - Posted 2012-10-30 01:56:44 »

I'm back on cubes for now (though the engine can run the hexes just fine), however I am working on a terrain smoothing algorithm that makes it look a bit more like the hexes. The cubes are much easier to optimize though, and since I don't want peoples computers to struggle, that's what I am focusing on right now. Don't worry, they are still there, and I might bring them back for some alien looking terrain!

Thanks for the support!
Offline Joshua Waring
« Reply #94 - Posted 2012-10-30 04:41:29 »

I did read that somewhere, I just love the look of Hex's. Maybe just a switch for people with the powerful computers to run the unoptimised version Cheesy?
Any chance on Kickstarter Milestones being added even if they're not achieved ?

Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

Medals: 269
Projects: 11
Exp: 2 years

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #95 - Posted 2012-10-30 04:49:59 »

Hexagons for the win! Grin

I tried replacing my voxel engine with a hexagon one but converting hex coords to cartesian coords is ridiculous and I gave up until I have the motivation to try again from scratch.

Anyway, looks cool, but I don't have enough time to play games and code so I won't be able to support yet. I will probably buy the final game though.

Well done.

Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 350
Projects: 3
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #96 - Posted 2012-10-30 05:53:33 »

Holy hell....Arktos didn't you mention somewhere you never programmed a game before......and now you did all this......

This is truly unbelievable. Amazing job!

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 403
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #97 - Posted 2012-10-30 09:40:18 »

Yeah, it makes me really grumpy that people can wander along and make stuff like this with seemingly no effort  Emo I've spent 32 years coding and I'm still crap at making games. I can't even get my head around 3d. Still, that's why I bunged money at the project on Kickstarter!

Cas Smiley

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #98 - Posted 2012-10-30 11:11:38 »

I've spent 32 years coding and I'm still crap at making games.
Then what am I? suck? Grin

Offline Icecore

Senior Duke

Medals: 5

« Reply #99 - Posted 2012-10-30 12:22:25 »

Holy hell....Arktos didn't you mention somewhere you never programmed a game before......and now you did all this......

This is truly unbelievable. Amazing job!

Agree, good job and good luck to you  Wink
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Arktos
« Reply #100 - Posted 2012-10-30 16:17:52 »

You guys are too kind. It's true I haven't made a game before - but I have the robotics programming experience (which has helped a bunch!) - so hopefully that doesn't make you too grumpy Cas Smiley It's funny, when I was learning the ropes with openGL (ha, when... all the time still it seems) I actually kept running into posts you made, Cas. The internet is a great thing, definitely a good time to learn openGL and game making. And the big step up in processing power from robots to laptops/desktops has been really nice. I've also done a bunch of 3D modelling before (years and years at this point, plus all the CAD for the robots) - so that's definitely part of the reason I can do that. In a lot of ways, game logic is very similar to robot logic - all a big state machine, but instead of world interaction, everything is essentially simulated.

@Joshua Waring - if some of the KS milestones aren't hit I will probably just not focus on them until later. I still want to get everything into the game, but I'll put my effort into the gameplay and other elements initially. I want to give everything the attention it deserves, and that takes time. So the idea is that more KS money basically buys me more full-time working on everything so that I can really get everything into good shape within my time frame Smiley

As for the hexes, haha, we'll see. Like I said, still in the engine (easy to turn right back on), and I have this big translation function for all the physics and rendering in the game to use them... but it just isn't as easy as... well, not translating everything. I will say maybe on them - and potentially as a graphics switch, but more likely as separate alien worlds/areas.

Thanks again for the support everyone, you guys are awesome!
Offline Joshua Waring
« Reply #101 - Posted 2012-11-02 14:05:43 »

Thank you for making such an amazing game Smiley

Offline Grunnt

JGO Wizard

Medals: 78
Projects: 8

Complex != complicated

« Reply #102 - Posted 2012-11-02 14:25:43 »

Amazing! This has a lot of potential Grin Congratulations on reaching your kickstarter goal, and I'm looking forward to the results!

It's really jaw-dropping to think you make this alone. Haha, I guess I should have learned to build robots instead of computer science Grin

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #103 - Posted 2012-11-03 00:42:21 »

Haha, I guess I should have learned to build robots instead of computer science Grin
As long you're not in my situation, take robot and embedded system study where there's no single place in your country to work it on so you crash your steer doing programming Smiley

Offline Sammidysam
« Reply #104 - Posted 2012-11-04 14:03:29 »

Congratulations on getting funded.  $27,522 is really a huge amount of money, especially when the goal was $5000.  I look forward to playing the game as always - December can't come soon enough lol
Offline Arktos
« Reply #105 - Posted 2012-11-04 19:55:01 »

Thanks so much! Thanks everyone - I can't wait to get the game out there for you to play Cheesy

I'm really excited that I get to work with a bunch of people to make some in-game characters, we're going to have a blast!
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #106 - Posted 2012-11-04 20:57:28 »

NOOOOOoooooOOOOOO transaction error! My card isn't working T_______T

I shall resolve this ASAP!! Shocked

All fixed!

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 816
Projects: 4

Hand over your head.

« Reply #107 - Posted 2012-11-04 21:12:45 »

Congratulations on getting funded.  $27,522 is really a huge amount of money, especially when the goal was $5000.
Don't forget the cut Kickstarter takes, the cut the payment processor takes and the biggest cut, which will be income tax. You should be happy to end up with slightly over half of the contributed amount.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline masteryoom

JGO Coder

Medals: 5
Projects: 2

If you look closely, you might see it turning...

« Reply #108 - Posted 2012-11-05 09:18:43 »

WHEN IS THIS GAME COMING OUT!!! I really really want to play it!! ROBOTS!! Shocked

Smiley
Offline Arktos
« Reply #109 - Posted 2012-11-07 23:04:59 »

ra4king - awesome! There were definitely a bunch of people who had transactions fails, but it seems like Kickstarter/Amazon sends out mail every 24 hours for 14 days (10 days left) or until it is fixed, so that's pretty cool (or maybe super annoying? Haha), but thanks for fixing your pledge Cheesy

Riven - very much true, but hey - it's a huge help regardless of the money cuts - I'm psyched to see people so excited, and I'm pumped to get Dysis out there!

masteryoom - Woo! I'm glad you are excited! My plan is to have the prototype out in December, the Beta in March, and get the final game out sometime after that!

I have a big announcement for Dysis (though everyone who pledged on Kickstarter should have already gotten the update email!): I've begun the Dysis Greenlight Campaign!

I've got an updated trailer (just visuals updated - I wanted greenlight folks to experience the same trailer I developed for Kickstarter... and I wanted to not spend a ton of time whipping up an alternate trailer right now when I can be working on in-game stuff):

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_agpOAmtzyo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/_agpOAmtzyo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>

Anyway, if you'd like to help get Dysis on Steam (even if you don't use Steam - as I will be updating all versions of Dysis, regardless of whether or not they are on Steam)! I would be very grateful if you helped me out and voted Dysis up! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=107019583

Thanks for your time, and continuing support here everyone :-)
Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 136
Exp: 3 years

« Reply #110 - Posted 2012-11-07 23:34:16 »

voted on steam
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 816

Hand over your head.

« Reply #111 - Posted 2012-11-07 23:43:02 »

Riven - very much true, but hey - it's a huge help regardless of the money cuts - I'm psyched to see people so excited, and I'm pumped to get Dysis out there!
It should be interesting for you seek professional advice whether it is a good idea for you to start a company. This can have a major influence on how much the tax cut is - and might save you thousands of dollars.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #112 - Posted 2012-11-08 01:35:38 »

masteryoom - Woo! I'm glad you are excited! My plan is to have the prototype out in December, the Beta in March, and get the final game out sometime after that!
March?!? Noooo I'll be too busy studying for finals T_______T

Offline Arktos
« Reply #113 - Posted 2012-11-08 01:53:26 »

Jimmt - thanks a bunch!

Riven - ya, I've researched it a bit, there are definitely tax breaks for indie game companies under research and development, deferred taxes (accrual accounting - since my products aren't actually in peoples hands yet), and lastly (that I know of... but I will be looking into this a lot now that the KS is over) there is domestic production activity deduction. All in all, the tax cut is bigger than the 9-10% that Amazon and Kickstarter take out, plus I have to pay for T-Shirts and stuff, but it's still a big help! As things go forward I'll be sure to mark my progress so that anyone else seeking to do Kickstarter campaigns will know what I run in to, what maybe to avoid, or what I would suggest doing differently (a lot of this is brand new territory for me, but I'm really enjoying the experience!)

ra4king - oh dear... I had totally forgotten about finals. That's certainly an interesting development. Not to worry - I'll help you fail your academic career with style: video games! Haha, but seriously - I'll look at releasing during a time that hopefully doesn't disturb too many folks studying - shall I aim for early March so you have the last week to study? =p Perhaps waiting until after your finals (as a reward to yourself) would be best?
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #114 - Posted 2012-11-08 02:14:52 »

ra4king - oh dear... I had totally forgotten about finals. That's certainly an interesting development. Not to worry - I'll help you fail your academic career with style: video games! Haha, but seriously - I'll look at releasing during a time that hopefully doesn't disturb too many folks studying - shall I aim for early March so you have the last week to study? =p Perhaps waiting until after your finals (as a reward to yourself) would be best?
I'll most likely have time to play it, I'm a HUGE procrastinator anyway. But I definitely know what I'm wasting my summer doing.... Grin

Offline Regenuluz
« Reply #115 - Posted 2012-11-08 07:51:40 »

There, voted for your game on Greenlight, and told my friends to do the same! xD
Offline Arktos
« Reply #116 - Posted 2012-11-30 19:22:02 »

Woo! Dysis just made it to the top 100 on Steam Greenlight!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=107019583

I've also been working on some flying units:

The ones in the picture above are pretty small, so here's a closer look at your basic flying attack units:

Some people have been asking about transporting units to floating islands. My answer to this:

Hope you guys like the new stuff, and thank you for the support!

The Prototype is set to launch in December, and I've got a lot more content coming - but I wanted to lay down the framework for a lot of different stuff before I really flush it out.
Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 136
Exp: 3 years

« Reply #117 - Posted 2012-12-01 00:54:20 »

Just out of interest, how many votes do you have already? And how many votes are required to pass greenlight, anyways?
Offline Arktos
« Reply #118 - Posted 2012-12-03 20:25:54 »

Unfortunately, I cannot give you those numbers as I don't have them. I am given the number of votes per day against the average number of votes in the top hundred in bar graph form - so I just know my ratio (vaguely) against that average. I also know the total number of unique visitors as well as the number of favorites (20k, and 800 respectively), but again, couldn't tell you how many of those visitors have voted yes on Dysis. As far as getting greenlit, again I am at a loss. I am quite sure that you need to be in the top 100, (and I originally thought the top 10), but it seems like it is up to Valve to choose once you are in the top 100, as some games were closer to the 50 mark and got greenlit this past month.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Longarmx (35 views)
2014-10-17 03:59:02

Norakomi (26 views)
2014-10-16 15:22:06

Norakomi (24 views)
2014-10-16 15:20:20

lcass (26 views)
2014-10-15 16:18:58

TehJavaDev (50 views)
2014-10-14 00:39:48

TehJavaDev (50 views)
2014-10-14 00:35:47

TehJavaDev (40 views)
2014-10-14 00:32:37

BurntPizza (63 views)
2014-10-11 23:24:42

BurntPizza (36 views)
2014-10-11 23:10:45

BurntPizza (75 views)
2014-10-11 22:30:10
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org