Games in Android Showcase (106)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (533)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  ignore  |  Print  
  Getting myself to program..  (Read 8997 times)
Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 128
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

« Reply #30 - Posted 2012-06-02 05:18:25 »

think about minecraft Cheesy
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #31 - Posted 2012-06-02 05:53:47 »

think about minecraft Cheesy
and you'll be scraed on how to do it.

Offline ags1

JGO Ninja

Medals: 46
Projects: 2
Exp: 5 years

Make code not war!

« Reply #32 - Posted 2012-06-02 17:37:37 »

Don't work alone - I stay more motivated when i am working in a group. Although I also don't like people messing with my code.

Also, why is everyone using Eclipse? IntelliJ is god's gift to programmers. No wonder you are not motivated.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 336

I'm the King!

« Reply #33 - Posted 2012-06-02 17:39:49 »

Don't work alone - I stay more motivated when i am working in a group. Although I also don't like people messing with my code.

Also, why is everyone using Eclipse? IntelliJ is god's gift to programmers. No wonder you are not motivated.
Heretic! Burn him! Grin

Offline loom_weaver

JGO Coder

Medals: 17

« Reply #34 - Posted 2012-06-02 17:44:53 »

in my opinion doing some exercises can really help, like going for a run, to the gym or just outside for a walk. When you sit everyday in front your PC for 15 hours your body gets slow(?) and tiered. Whe I come home after doing sport my muscle are perhaps tiered, but my brain is back to 100%!!

I do this as well.  I like to go for long walks and I mull over what I'm going to do next.  By the time I get back I usually know exactly what my next 3 digestible tasks are after opening the IDE.
Offline Rorkien
« Reply #35 - Posted 2012-06-02 20:44:06 »

I get motivated in some kind of subjective way, like writing cool ideas that i've seen on TV, Shows and stuff; Working on art when you don't feel like coding, working with sounds when you dont feel like doing something else...
Also i am a bit of a perfectionist, so i feel more confortable when i know i am the only one messing with my code.

So my conclusion is that everyone has their own way to get motivated.
Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 128
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

« Reply #36 - Posted 2012-06-02 23:36:22 »

Seriously, though, I get myself motivated by planning out/imagining the game or application I'm going to make.
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #37 - Posted 2012-11-17 01:07:58 »

I'm experiencing the same thing currently. I used to look forward to coming home and opening up Eclipse, however these days I don't have anything to code and I have no motivation to do anything new really :/
Oh my god.....this was 6 months ago yet I'm still in the same dilemma.......

*shoots himself*

Offline theagentd
« Reply #38 - Posted 2012-11-17 01:45:16 »

Go implement a perfect deferred rendering pipeline! Create your own 2D physics engine! Come up with an algorithm for doing burns to get from one orbit to another! Plan out what kind of missiles your next space game will have! Create a volumetric lighting shader which doesn't explode when ray-casting outside the shadow map! Create a perfect 3D particle renderer using transform feedback which supports Fourier occlusion maps and GPU depth sorting and are rendered with a geometry shader! Everything just to be able to brag on JGO!

What?! That only works for me?! Wink

Seriously though, I'm sure you have something you want to program/research. Just do it as a mini project that you can finish in a day or so, and see what it leads to. When I get fed up with making GUIs with TWL I pick something random from my endless list of graphics effects I want to implement and just do it. Simply working on something might inspire you in some way, and even if it doesn't give you any good results, you'll have learned something new. Besides, if you get bored enough with your side project you might find it easier to move back to your main project again. =S

I tried to implement Depth of Field once only to realize that it's impossible to accurately create a blurred scene from a sharp image. Even Metro 2033 which has an advanced OpenCL based DoF effect couldn't get it right. Notice the sharp edge of the out of focus gun: http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/2319/baddof.png. Still, I learned a lot about shader performance, especially how expensive branching was. I later came up with a potential way to hide that sharp artifact, and it's now back on my to-do list again. =S

TL;DR: Do something fun!

Myomyomyo.
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #39 - Posted 2012-11-17 02:20:09 »

Many remarks and questions...

Go implement a perfect deferred rendering pipeline! Create your own 2D physics engine! Come up with an algorithm for doing burns to get from one orbit to another! Plan out what kind of missiles your next space game will have! Create a volumetric lighting shader which doesn't explode when ray-casting outside the shadow map! Create a perfect 3D particle renderer using transform feedback which supports Fourier occlusion maps and GPU depth sorting and are rendered with a geometry shader! Everything just to be able to brag on JGO!
How in the hell do you do all that stuff?! I mean, where do you learn about it?

What?! That only works for me?! Wink
Yes Grin

Seriously though, I'm sure you have something you want to program/research. Just do it as a mini project that you can finish in a day or so, and see what it leads to. When I get fed up with making GUIs with TWL I pick something random from my endless list of graphics effects I want to implement and just do it. Simply working on something might inspire you in some way, and even if it doesn't give you any good results, you'll have learned something new. Besides, if you get bored enough with your side project you might find it easier to move back to your main project again. =S
My list of "Want to Program" is about 0. I do have dream games but they feel so far away and impossible.

I think this stems from a certain problem: my creativity level is -9001.

I tried to implement Depth of Field once only to realize that it's impossible to accurately create a blurred scene from a sharp image. Even Metro 2033 which has an advanced OpenCL based DoF effect couldn't get it right. Notice the sharp edge of the out of focus gun: http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/2319/baddof.png. Still, I learned a lot about shader performance, especially how expensive branching was. I later came up with a potential way to hide that sharp artifact, and it's now back on my to-do list again. =S
Shocked I'm simply nodding and smiling Smiley

TL;DR: Do something fun!
TL;DR: Reddit has ruined me.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Online Cero
« Reply #40 - Posted 2012-11-17 02:46:04 »

at least play a lot of influential games

you said in the favorite games thread that you "never heard of/played 99% of the games mentioned in this thread".
play 'em.

Offline philfrei
« Reply #41 - Posted 2012-11-17 02:47:55 »

Senioritis? (Hits just about everyone. I can't recall if you are a senior yet, though.)

"Greetings my friends! We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives!" -- The Amazing Criswell
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #42 - Posted 2012-11-17 02:52:24 »

Senioritis? (Hits just about everyone. I can't recall if you are a senior yet, though.)
Yup Senioritis hitting me HARD. Hopefully things look better in college.

Offline theagentd
« Reply #43 - Posted 2012-11-17 02:56:00 »

Deferred shading: There are a huge amount of papers and slides on this, for example this: http://www.slideshare.net/blindrenderer/rendering-tech-of-space-marinekgc-2011
Orbits: I have no idea how to do this, but I want to do it. =S
Missiles: They're missiles! Who doesn't like missiles?!
Volumetric lighting: I came up with the algorithm myself, only to discover it had already been discovered and was currently implemented in Stalker: CS and Stalker: CoP... -_-' I pretty much saw the effect in Crysis and was like "That is insanely ugly. Why would you do a radial blur with almost hundreds of texture samples when you can use those samples to raytrace over the shadow map and actually get accurate volumetric lighting?". It's already up here on JGO, but it has some weird bugs I need to fix.
Particle rendering: I've got most of the basics working (transform feedback, geometry shaders). I just need to figure out how to do a radix sort on the GPU and the math behind approximating a function with fourier coefficients. I have no idea what I just wrote.
Bragging on JGO: 1. Create a new thread under a fitting sub forum. 2. ...

I've just collected funny words from graphics settings in games like SSAO and HDR from games and Googled them.

Yup Senioritis hitting me HARD. Hopefully things look better in college.

Oh, ouch. I just started uni and I can say I've never been more motivated to study, hehe. Well, I also have more free time than in high school since there are less lectures and they aren't mandatory, plus that I really don't need to attend the Java classes. xD

Describe your dream game!

Myomyomyo.
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #44 - Posted 2012-11-17 03:00:41 »

Try join a compo with prize? Github's shining iPad may tempt you.

Offline philfrei
« Reply #45 - Posted 2012-11-17 03:10:22 »

Enjoy your senior year. You earned it!

Things will pick up again, in good time.

"Greetings my friends! We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives!" -- The Amazing Criswell
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #46 - Posted 2012-11-17 04:26:56 »

Deferred shading: There are a huge amount of papers and slides on this, for example this: http://www.slideshare.net/blindrenderer/rendering-tech-of-space-marinekgc-2011
Orbits: I have no idea how to do this, but I want to do it. =S
Missiles: They're missiles! Who doesn't like missiles?!
Volumetric lighting: I came up with the algorithm myself, only to discover it had already been discovered and was currently implemented in Stalker: CS and Stalker: CoP... -_-' I pretty much saw the effect in Crysis and was like "That is insanely ugly. Why would you do a radial blur with almost hundreds of texture samples when you can use those samples to raytrace over the shadow map and actually get accurate volumetric lighting?". It's already up here on JGO, but it has some weird bugs I need to fix.
Particle rendering: I've got most of the basics working (transform feedback, geometry shaders). I just need to figure out how to do a radix sort on the GPU and the math behind approximating a function with fourier coefficients. I have no idea what I just wrote.
Bragging on JGO: 1. Create a new thread under a fitting sub forum. 2. ...

I've just collected funny words from graphics settings in games like SSAO and HDR from games and Googled them.
....well then.....looks like I have lots of studying to do myself Grin
I'm still on Chapter 10 on the arcsynthesis tutorials! persecutioncomplex

Offline Joshua Waring

Medals: 4

« Reply #47 - Posted 2012-11-17 06:46:40 »

I'm experiencing the same thing currently. I used to look forward to coming home and opening up Eclipse, however these days I don't have anything to code and I have no motivation to do anything new really :/
  Have you ever though of making a list of games you want to program, just write down the idea and then work on them? or try and redo something you really enjoyed creating.

The world is big, so learn it in small bytes.
Offline concerto49

« Reply #48 - Posted 2012-11-17 07:23:10 »

It's hard to concentrate on a long project. Maybe break it up to parts? Maybe get someone else to help? It makes it easier with others pushing you to work.

High performance, fast network, affordable price VPS - Cloud Shards
Available in Texas, New York & Los Angeles
Need a VPS Upgrade?
Offline Pickleninja

JGO Coder

Medals: 10
Projects: 1

I'm tired of working for someone else.

« Reply #49 - Posted 2012-11-17 07:26:15 »

I guess I'm lucky that I have art to offset programming... so whenever I get burned out of programming, I switch to art, and when I get burned out of art, I integrate my artwork into my programs...

On the other hand, my current job has been excellent motivation for busting my ass in the hopes that my game will allow me to retire from all the bull-crap I currently put up with.

Smiley

-Pickle

Offline Varkas
« Reply #50 - Posted 2012-11-19 11:41:08 »

I'm not even sure if it is desireable to motivate oneself for hobby projects. If you lose motivation with a hobby, it means your interest has turned elsewhere, and it might be good to follow the new interest for a while.

Otherwise I do it similar to what Pickeninja said, switch between art and programming. And at times artwork also means do turn off the computer and work with "real" materials.

if (error) throw new Brick(); // Blog (german): http://gedankenweber.wordpress.com
Offline Grunnt

JGO Wizard

Medals: 64
Projects: 8

Complex != complicated

« Reply #51 - Posted 2012-11-19 15:35:13 »

What helps for me:
  • Starting early. I only code in my spare time, but if I do not start coding right when I get out of bed chances are that I won't code at all for that day, but instead continue what I was doing at the start (e.g. gaming).
  • Exercise. For two reasons: gives me more energy, and more importantly: it's a way of learning a little bit of discipline. I like to run long distances, and there's a significant mental challenge in that (e.g. ignoring my subconscious yammering "waah, I want to stop now, I'm so tired, the grass looks so inviting, I can just take a shortcut here, etc.")
  • Choose a single project. I tended to try to work on a dozen projects at once, which predictably resulted in me completing none at all. Now I try to focus on a single project, and not allow myself to work on anything else until I've completely finished the project.

Anyways, it's quite impossible for me to have 100% discipline. Or even 50%. But for me that's healthy, too: there's other things that are important in life, such as having fun. Grin

Offline philfrei
« Reply #52 - Posted 2012-11-19 22:45:00 »

@Varkas -- good advice. +1

Offline theagentd
« Reply #53 - Posted 2012-11-19 23:00:39 »

Otherwise I do it similar to what Pickeninja said, switch between art and programming. And at times artwork also means do turn off the computer and work with "real" materials.
Programming is an art!

Myomyomyo.
Online matheus23

JGO Kernel

Medals: 106
Projects: 3

You think about my Avatar right now!

« Reply #54 - Posted 2012-11-19 23:12:22 »

Judging, from what I have just experienced myself:

Ideas and Inspiration is the biggest source of productivity!

See my:
    My development Blog:     | Or look at my RPG | Or simply my coding
http://matheusdev.tumblr.comRuins of Revenge  |      On Github
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #55 - Posted 2012-11-20 08:09:16 »

What helps for me:
  • Starting early. I only code in my spare time, but if I do not start coding right when I get out of bed chances are that I won't code at all for that day, but instead continue what I was doing at the start (e.g. gaming).
  • Exercise. For two reasons: gives me more energy, and more importantly: it's a way of learning a little bit of discipline. I like to run long distances, and there's a significant mental challenge in that (e.g. ignoring my subconscious yammering "waah, I want to stop now, I'm so tired, the grass looks so inviting, I can just take a shortcut here, etc.")
  • Choose a single project. I tended to try to work on a dozen projects at once, which predictably resulted in me completing none at all. Now I try to focus on a single project, and not allow myself to work on anything else until I've completely finished the project.

Anyways, it's quite impossible for me to have 100% discipline. Or even 50%. But for me that's healthy, too: there's other things that are important in life, such as having fun. Grin
Point 1 is not possible for me due to school Tongue

Point 2: I've tried and given up so many times. I *need* to exercise more (mostly due to my weight....) but I just can't Sad

Point 3: I'm currently focusing on fully learning OpenGL before I focus on any project. However, I'm getting really lazy in learning it, causing the stagnation in productivity..... Sad

Offline Grunnt

JGO Wizard

Medals: 64
Projects: 8

Complex != complicated

« Reply #56 - Posted 2012-11-20 11:09:21 »

Point 3: I'm currently focusing on fully learning OpenGL before I focus on any project. However, I'm getting really lazy in learning it, causing the stagnation in productivity..... Sad

Is "fully" learning OpenGL even possible? Maybe its more fun to learn OpenGL while accomplishing some other goal? Like making an awesome OpenGL demo Grin

Offline Pickleninja

JGO Coder

Medals: 10
Projects: 1

I'm tired of working for someone else.

« Reply #57 - Posted 2012-11-20 15:01:41 »

Programming is an art!

I completely agree... But it's a different type of art Smiley

-Pickle

Offline Roquen
« Reply #58 - Posted 2012-11-20 20:58:58 »

Doing something with fast sensory feedback is a win.
Offline StumpyStrust
« Reply #59 - Posted 2012-11-21 05:58:03 »

Doing something with fast sensory feedback is a win.

Man...and I wonder why I create mass menu screens...but damn do they look good.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

pw (24 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (22 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (18 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (21 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16

ctomni231 (50 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21

Zero Volt (45 views)
2014-07-17 23:47:54

danieldean (36 views)
2014-07-17 23:41:23

MustardPeter (39 views)
2014-07-16 23:30:00

Cero (54 views)
2014-07-16 00:42:17

Riven (54 views)
2014-07-14 18:02:53
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org