Games in Android Showcase (112)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (556)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2 3
  ignore  |  Print  
  Getting myself to program..  (Read 9352 times)
Online Gjallar

JGO Coder

Medals: 13
Projects: 1

Follower of Nurgle

« Posted 2012-05-16 17:19:21 »

I'm having troubles with that lately. Most of the time, when I got myself to actually start programming I'm really enjoying it. It's a fun activety and pleasures my urge to create stuff  Grin

Yet... for some reason I'm having a hard time opening up Eclipse and playing god for a while.

Am I the only one  Huh What do you do for motivation? :/
Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

Medals: 202

« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-05-16 17:29:27 »

If I knew what to do for motivation, my life would be a lot different.  Everyone gets blocked sometimes -- just pursue something else you find interesting, and you'll find yourself coming back eventually.
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 345
Projects: 3
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-05-16 17:45:20 »

I'm experiencing the same thing currently. I used to look forward to coming home and opening up Eclipse, however these days I don't have anything to code and I have no motivation to do anything new really :/

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Roquen
« Reply #3 - Posted 2012-05-16 18:57:21 »

You could always try doing something new and learn something.  Instant feedback stuff works really well for me at time.
Offline theagentd
« Reply #4 - Posted 2012-05-16 18:59:22 »

When I feel bored I Google graphics settings. There's white-papers lying around everywhere on the Internet. =S

Myomyomyo.
Offline zngga
« Reply #5 - Posted 2012-05-16 19:06:13 »

I have been where you are so many times! I think any programmer has.

When my motivation fails for one project, I just start a new one!  Grin I work on that a while, experience motivational failure, and jump back to the other project. It is a cycle that usually ends up creating multiple 'active' projects in my workspace, but I am ok with that... gives me options! haha!

My code never has bugs... it just develops unexpected features!
Online Gjallar

JGO Coder

Follower of Nurgle

« Reply #6 - Posted 2012-05-16 19:16:34 »

I dont have any running projects, I just dont feel like starting anything at all :/

Probably because I have this idea in my head but am not sure about how to go about doing it. Oh well, I hope motivation will overcome me anytime soon  Grin
Offline Danny02
« Reply #7 - Posted 2012-05-16 20:36:26 »

in my opinion doing some exercises can really help, like going for a run, to the gym or just outside for a walk. When you sit everyday in front your PC for 15 hours your body gets slow(?) and tiered. Whe I come home after doing sport my muscle are perhaps tiered, but my brain is back to 100%!!
Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

Medals: 106

You think about my Avatar right now!

« Reply #8 - Posted 2012-05-16 20:38:10 »

in my opinion doing some exercises can really help, like going for a run, to the gym or just outside for a walk. When you sit everyday in front your PC for 15 hours your body gets slow(?) and tiered. Whe I come home after doing sport my muscle are perhaps tiered, but my brain is back to 100%!!

+1, really good Smiley =)

See my:
    My development Blog:     | Or look at my RPG | Or simply my coding
http://matheusdev.tumblr.comRuins of Revenge  |      On Github
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #9 - Posted 2012-05-16 20:46:43 »

Ehhhhhh way too lazy to exercise...*looks down at stomach*.....even though I do need it Grin

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline aazimon
« Reply #10 - Posted 2012-05-16 21:57:38 »

Are you having trouble just want to program, or having trouble coming up with ideas to program?
     I would think if you have a list of thinks you want to program, then it's just a matter of making a habit of programming a little each day. Don't focus on amount of coding.
     If you are having trouble coming up with ideas to program, then start with writing out ideas and develop some basics on paper. It's harder to write a program when you don't know what's its going to do.
     It sounds like you have an idea. Write it up and flush it out before you start coding. Develop a plan. Don't code in the abyss, it sucks the motivation out you.
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 369
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #11 - Posted 2012-05-16 22:24:47 »

I'm having trouble programming, and I'm avoiding doing it right now. This is because I am utterly sick of Ultratron, which I've been pointlessly maintaining for 7 years now (erk - now I say it, it does sound a bit daft).

Cas Smiley

Offline aazimon
« Reply #12 - Posted 2012-05-16 22:35:32 »

Sounds like over-exposure. You could get a sunburn. Maybe you can get workman's comp for that.  Grin
Offline SkyAphid
« Reply #13 - Posted 2012-05-17 00:25:40 »

I disagree. I've gotten more done with track season being over. I'd come home and feel like shit by the time I get out of the shower. Although, I normally solved this with 30 minute power naps Azn

“Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else. The trick is the doing something else.” ~Leonardo da Vinci
Offline philfrei
« Reply #14 - Posted 2012-05-17 00:52:28 »

Sometimes there are good reasons not to program.  Shocked
Even if they aren't immediately apparent.

"Greetings my friends! We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives!" -- The Amazing Criswell
Offline loom_weaver

JGO Coder

Medals: 17

« Reply #15 - Posted 2012-05-17 03:40:48 »

My motivation is to always have a playable game i.e. I can compile and run my game after each coding session.

This gives me immediate feedback and then even when I add just a little bit of code I can see the result.
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #16 - Posted 2012-05-17 04:21:13 »

Even you feel not like to do it, DONT!*
If it's really the time, you'll be motivated by yourself.

* exception for assignments, that's why self developing projects are much better than them.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #17 - Posted 2012-05-17 12:51:28 »

Hi

Yet... for some reason I'm having a hard time opening up Eclipse and playing god for a while.

Am I the only one  Huh What do you do for motivation? :/
No, you're not the only one in this case. I have seen tons of gaming projects being stopped because of a lack of motivation. Each person is different, there is no general way to motivate everybody. As for me, I started my project more than 5 years ago and I'm still motivated even though the development is sometimes very slow. I try to write some source code as cleanly as possible (with my own criteria), I still have fun coming back into it, it's pleasant (at least for me), I don't have the feeling that my code becomes unmaintainable or dirty, I frequently add new features. The things that decrease my motivation have nothing to do with programming itself: my grandmother on my mother's side died last week, a friend of mine died earlier, some people are still publishing defamatory posts about me... Good luck.

Offline outlander78

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #18 - Posted 2012-05-17 15:21:34 »

For the first time, I have a long-term project (coming up on two years) and have stuck to it, rather than burning out and starting something new.  I now have a working game I can play, and going forward am just adding features and content (it's an RPG, so that means more quests, maps, classes, monsters, spells, items etc).

I mention this because I don't think chronically starting over is the way to go.  During the two years (started in August, 2010) I have had a few periods where for weeks, or once two months, I didn't do any programming at all.  That's okay.  Take a break, and come back to it later.

Caveat - if you have a project that never had you eager and interested, then do start a new one, otherwise just wait for the interest to come back.

Try my retro RPG computer game, oshs (Old School Hack and Slash), and let me know what you think.
Online Gjallar

JGO Coder

Follower of Nurgle

« Reply #19 - Posted 2012-05-17 16:10:51 »

Thanks a bunch for the feedback  Smiley

An idea came to my mind earlier today and I just had to try turning it into code, yay  Grin
Offline Dream Of Sleeping
« Reply #20 - Posted 2012-05-19 11:00:34 »

It's not often I have a lot of trouble trying to motivate myself to program. But I'm at a stage where my lack of math knowledge is really affecting the kind of games I can make. I have a beginning algebra book that I still haven't managed to work my way through.

Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #21 - Posted 2012-05-19 18:48:07 »

It's not often I have a lot of trouble trying to motivate myself to program. But I'm at a stage where my lack of math knowledge is really affecting the kind of games I can make. I have a beginning algebra book that I still haven't managed to work my way through.
How old are you?

« Reply #22 - Posted 2012-05-20 12:04:26 »

How old are you?

31. Why?

« Reply #23 - Posted 2012-05-20 12:45:57 »

Oh were you thinking I was so young that I hadn't got to algebra in school yet? Nope just so old I've forgotten it all!

Offline Damocles
« Reply #24 - Posted 2012-05-20 12:57:04 »

when you have a running project, try to leave some "fun" stuff on the TODO list, something that is easy to implement or has some instant cool feedback.

When you have a block or no motivation, you can choose to work on this rather than boring GUI or Refactoring stuff.

Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #25 - Posted 2012-05-20 14:14:28 »

Oh were you thinking I was so young that I hadn't got to algebra in school yet? Nope just so old I've forgotten it all!
I would hesitantly suggest Geometric Tools For Computer Graphics. It's more of a reference book but it's got tons of useful info in it.

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #26 - Posted 2012-05-20 16:54:20 »

Haha yup ;P

« Reply #27 - Posted 2012-05-20 17:50:28 »

I would hesitantly suggest Geometric Tools For Computer Graphics. It's more of a reference book but it's got tons of useful info in it.

Thanks I'll check it out. I think the main reason I have trouble motivating myself to do maths is because the maths i'm doing at the moment (adding polynomials) doesn't really seem to be any use in what I'm doing, and I know with my memory I will forget how to do it two weeks after learning it. But at the same time when ever I see an explanation of something mathmatical it usually has a formula that is complicated and I don't know what it all means, so it will probably be best I finish my algebra book. It's well written and I'm not finding it hard, but it's not as much fun as programming. I've added the book you suggested to my wishlist on amazon.

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #28 - Posted 2012-05-20 23:42:06 »

Damocles's advice is really good. You should save up the fun part later so you will gain more will to open IDE. That fun part is relative.

Offline Ryonik

Senior Newbie

Medals: 1

« Reply #29 - Posted 2012-06-02 02:15:03 »

Thanks I'll check it out. I think the main reason I have trouble motivating myself to do maths is because the maths i'm doing at the moment (adding polynomials) doesn't really seem to be any use in what I'm doing, and I know with my memory I will forget how to do it two weeks after learning it. But at the same time when ever I see an explanation of something mathmatical it usually has a formula that is complicated and I don't know what it all means, so it will probably be best I finish my algebra book. It's well written and I'm not finding it hard, but it's not as much fun as programming. I've added the book you suggested to my wishlist on amazon.

knowing polynomials and basically algebraic expressions is an essential skill for creating formulas/algorithms for your programs/games. knowing the math will save you a lot of time on certain aspects and make your program more efficient.
If you ever need any help with any of it, send me a message, I'm a college student working towards engineering major and computer science minor so I'm loaded with math, plus its what I'm best at academically Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Nickropheliac (15 views)
2014-08-31 22:59:12

TehJavaDev (23 views)
2014-08-28 18:26:30

CopyableCougar4 (29 views)
2014-08-22 19:31:30

atombrot (41 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (39 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (35 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (25 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (36 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (72 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (49 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org