Medals: 128
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

« Posted 2012-05-13 20:56:18 »

some idiot at school called java game programming "easy"  Cranky
Offline Ciaran54

Medals: 4

« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-05-13 21:10:17 »

Didn't you hear? All of the cool kids are coding FPSs in Assembler, because its so much faster. Its because java can only makes games out of blocks or simple 2D games, its really slow, and nobody really uses it anyway, apart from for putting scripts in HTML. I mean, the java game engine has really bad graphics anyway.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, yes, its really really easy, most people are born with the ability.
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 368
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-05-13 22:06:40 »

I think it's easier than doing it in C++ if that helps Smiley

Cas Smiley

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline jonjava
« Reply #3 - Posted 2012-05-13 22:11:29 »

I think it's easier than doing it in C++ if that helps Smiley

Cas Smiley

And more awesome!

Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 128
Exp: 3 years

« Reply #4 - Posted 2012-05-13 22:54:07 »

We're talking about a MIDDLE school here.
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #5 - Posted 2012-05-13 23:02:11 »

Well, it doesn't really matter what age you are, it's still easier than C++ Wink

Cas Smiley

Offline SkyAphid
« Reply #6 - Posted 2012-05-13 23:16:37 »

Well, is even a programmer? If he can't program, just call him an idiot and go on about your life. Most kids these days are illiterate rap-listening whipper snappers anyway, so he's probably trolling you.

“Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else. The trick is the doing something else.” ~Leonardo da Vinci
Offline Rorkien
« Reply #7 - Posted 2012-05-13 23:19:40 »

He must be some kind of guy who downloaded UDK, messed up with the terrain, assets and kismet and considers himself a PRO GAME MAKER
Nothing surprising, ignore, move on.
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #8 - Posted 2012-05-13 23:26:23 »

He must be some kind of guy who downloaded UDK, messed up with the terrain, assets and kismet and considers himself a PRO GAME MAKER
Nothing surprising, ignore, move on.
Love the image, indeed troll Grin
UDK? middle school? nay. Game maker/RPG maker free edition.

Offline deepthought
« Reply #9 - Posted 2012-05-14 01:15:14 »

make him join CS uil in highschool. see if he even gets a positive score.

but seriously. talk to him. if he actually knows anything, he might make a good friend. we all know that people we can actually talk to about programming are pretty hard to find. even in most of your high school programming classes you find a bunch of people who can't program their way out of a paper bag with holes in it.

jocks rule the highschools. GEEKS RULE THE WORLD MWAHAHAHA!!
captain failure test game
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline theagentd
« Reply #10 - Posted 2012-05-14 06:02:56 »

@Rorkien

Lol, awesome! Saved in case of flame war.

Does anyone here know OpenGL and C++ or something? Would be nice to have a benchmark of exactly how much slower Java is to C++ with OpenGL, especially scaling with the number of draw calls.

Myomyomyo.
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 783

Hand over your head.

« Reply #11 - Posted 2012-05-14 06:37:03 »

It dawned on me that there is absolutely no point in convincing people that I don't care about. Would you truely feel better if that 'idiot at school' would change his mind? If so, why? There is an infinite supply of fools, and most important to realize is that you can't fight stupidity.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline gouessej
« Reply #12 - Posted 2012-05-14 07:25:06 »

Hi

Is it worth trying to convince them that game programming in general requires some time? Make it simple, ask them how many wonderful Java games they created to say that? Java drives game programming easier than with other lower level languages but creating a first person shooter still requires months or even years of work.

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #13 - Posted 2012-05-14 07:42:15 »

The saying goes, never argue with an idiot, because they will drag you down to their level, and then beat you on experience.

Cas Smiley

Offline krasse
« Reply #14 - Posted 2012-05-14 08:01:28 »

http://xkcd.com/386/

Offline philfrei
« Reply #15 - Posted 2012-05-14 08:10:26 »

Bull's-eye!

"Greetings my friends! We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives!" -- The Amazing Criswell
Offline theagentd
« Reply #16 - Posted 2012-05-14 09:10:57 »

Hi

Is it worth trying to convince them that game programming in general requires some time? Make it simple, ask them how many wonderful Java games they created to say that? Java drives game programming easier than with other lower level languages but creating a first person shooter still requires months or even years of work.
Writing a book is much easier on a computer since you have copy-paste and can edit things much more easier than on paper, spelling correction, e.t.c. but you still have to write the damn book. If you can't write a coherent sentence on paper...

Myomyomyo.
Offline gouessej
« Reply #17 - Posted 2012-05-14 09:31:23 »

Hi

Writing a book is much easier on a computer since you have copy-paste and can edit things much more easier than on paper, spelling correction, e.t.c. but you still have to write the damn book. If you can't write a coherent sentence on paper...
That's what I meant but your example is better and easier to understand.

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #18 - Posted 2012-05-14 10:11:19 »

Spelling correction thingy still didn't spot you writing "etc." wrongly though did it  Pointing

Cas Smiley

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #19 - Posted 2012-05-14 10:58:57 »

@Rorkien

Lol, awesome! Saved in case of flame war.

Does anyone here know OpenGL and C++ or something? Would be nice to have a benchmark of exactly how much slower Java is to C++ with OpenGL, especially scaling with the number of draw calls.
Let's search an already work example for C++ and try port it to java. Now you get two working codes Pointing

Offline theagentd
« Reply #20 - Posted 2012-05-14 11:35:51 »

Spelling correction thingy still didn't spot you writing "etc." wrongly though did it  Pointing

Cas Smiley
It doesn't give me an error for it, and since it also doesn't like shaders, OpenGL, etc. either, and I'm not a native speaker so I don't know exactly how to "spell" abbreviations. That's how I would write it in Swedish. xd

Myomyomyo.
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #21 - Posted 2012-05-14 11:38:38 »

Cas Smiley
It doesn't give me an error for it, and since it also doesn't like shaders, OpenGL, etc. either, and I'm not a native speaker so I don't know exactly how to "spell" abbreviations. That's how I would write it in Swedish. xd
'etc' is the abbreviation of 'etcetera', which is not an English word (latin), so your native language is not relevant Smiley

Offline jonjava
« Reply #22 - Posted 2012-05-14 17:23:37 »

At least he didn't spell it "ect".

Offline theagentd
« Reply #23 - Posted 2012-05-14 18:59:24 »

Spelling correction thingy still didn't spot you writing "etc." wrongly though did it  Pointing

Cas Smiley
'etc' is the abbreviation of 'etcetera', which is not an English word (latin), so your native language is not relevant Smiley
Sigh. I wasn't claiming that etcetera was a Swedish word. -___-'

EDIT: And I'm just saying that abbreviations are written differently in different languages. We usually put dots between each new word.

EDIT2: Screw this. From now on I'll use AOSSBRWNLMWETC, which stands for "and other stuff since Riven will not let me write etcetera". Happy?

Myomyomyo.
Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

Medals: 106

You think about my Avatar right now!

« Reply #24 - Posted 2012-05-14 19:03:43 »

Spelling correction thingy still didn't spot you writing "etc." wrongly though did it  Pointing

Cas Smiley

EDIT: And I'm just saying that abbreviations are written differently in different languages. We usually put dots between each new word.

Maybe, but its derived from latin. I'm sure. Very sure.

See my:
    My development Blog:     | Or look at my RPG | Or simply my coding
http://matheusdev.tumblr.comRuins of Revenge  |      On Github
Offline theagentd
« Reply #25 - Posted 2012-05-14 19:07:21 »

Cas Smiley

Maybe, but its derived from latin. I'm sure. Very sure.
I'm pretty sure the language of the church does not have abbreviations. Isn't there some rule against abbreviations in that hand book they have? Stop bashing me or the consequences will never be the same (saw that live B.T.W. (Oh, wait, I mean BTWWINDFLIAPSIIASWIPNR which stands for "by the way which is not derived from latin. I am pretty sure it is a Swedish word. I promise. No, really.")).

Myomyomyo.
Offline cylab

JGO Ninja

Medals: 43

« Reply #26 - Posted 2012-05-14 19:27:43 »

Well, thats the point - there IS ONLY ONE word...  Tongue

Mathias - I Know What [you] Did Last Summer!
Offline jonjava
« Reply #27 - Posted 2012-05-14 19:28:57 »

The language of the church. I'm pretty sure they speak exclusively in abbreviations.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/X3be9wCAwIM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/X3be9wCAwIM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>

Offline deepthought
« Reply #28 - Posted 2012-05-14 19:43:25 »

you will always be faced with wave after wave of morons. just try to ignore them.

jocks rule the highschools. GEEKS RULE THE WORLD MWAHAHAHA!!
captain failure test game
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #29 - Posted 2012-05-14 19:44:00 »

Cas Smiley
I never claimed you claimed that.

(Before you start sighing contemptuously, you might want to double-check what was said)

Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Nickropheliac (9 views)
2014-08-31 22:59:12

TehJavaDev (23 views)
2014-08-28 18:26:30

CopyableCougar4 (27 views)
2014-08-22 19:31:30

atombrot (40 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (38 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (34 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (24 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (34 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (72 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (47 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org