Games in Android Showcase (117)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (563)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Mojang Hardware Stats  (Read 8357 times)
Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 77
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Posted 2012-05-02 23:07:23 »

Just noticed that Mojang now release their Minecraft user hardware stats here (in all its unprocessed glory so a bit hard to read). Other companies like Valve do this too but this release is much more relevant to the folk here since it includes stuff like Java version, OpenGL version and OS version for all 3 big platforms, etc for millions of game players.

Some rough conclusions we can get from the data include stuff like:

• About 91% of Minecraft users have computers that support OpenGL 2.0+, meaning we can write games fully with the programmable pipeline (GLSL shaders) and start to safely forget about supporting or having a fallback for the old fixed function pipeline.
  • Intel cards are crap (yes everybody already knew that) and account for the majority of the 9% that don't support OpenGL 2.0+.
  • Java 5 use has pretty much died with very few users still on that version of Java.
  • OS X 10.4 use is pretty much dead however OS X 10.5 still has significant market share.

I'm sure there are more conclusions that we can make from the data but its a bit of a pain to do it without properly processing the raw data. Do keep in mind that this data is pretty specific to the Minecraft user base and probably not representative of all computer users but still very relevant for Java game developers.
Online Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 132
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-05-02 23:14:03 »

thanks for the link, very interesting.
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 380
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-05-02 23:21:06 »

I pretty much concur with their findings.

Cas Smiley

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline SkyAphid
« Reply #3 - Posted 2012-05-03 02:14:37 »

This makes me happy.

“Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else. The trick is the doing something else.” ~Leonardo da Vinci
Offline theagentd
« Reply #4 - Posted 2012-05-03 07:03:00 »

Gotta love Iphones. Made me wait for 5 minutes to load what I thought was a slowly downloaded text file or something only to end up with a 200+MB compressed file I can´t open. Someone apparently decided that showing what you´re about to download was a too advanced feature or something. -____-

Anyway, what´s the stats for OGL 3 and 4?

Myomyomyo.
Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

★★★★★

« Reply #5 - Posted 2012-05-03 09:09:31 »

• 51% of the Minecraft user base have computers with graphics cards capable of OpenGL 3.0+.
  • 38.8% of the Minecraft user base have computers with graphics cards capable of OpenGL 3.2+.
  • 34.2% of the Minecraft user base have computers with graphics cards capable of OpenGL 3.3+.
  • 19.6% of the Minecraft user base have computers with graphics cards capable of OpenGL 4.0+.
  • 8% of the Minecraft user base have computers with graphics cards capable of running the latest OpenGL version 4.2.
Offline theagentd
« Reply #6 - Posted 2012-05-03 09:23:18 »

• 51% of the Minecraft user base have computers with graphics cards capable of OpenGL 3.0+.
  • 38.8% of the Minecraft user base have computers with graphics cards capable of OpenGL 3.2+.
  • 19.6% of the Minecraft user base have computers with graphics cards capable of OpenGL 4.0+.
  • 8% of the Minecraft user base have computers with graphics cards capable of running the latest OpenGL version 4.2.
OGL 3.0 hardware = OGL 3.3 hardware. Just need a driver update. >_>

Myomyomyo.
Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

★★★★★

« Reply #7 - Posted 2012-05-03 09:33:06 »

OGL 3.0 hardware = OGL 3.3 hardware. Just need a driver update. >_>
14.8% of Minecraft users are on OpenGL 3.0 to 3.2, considering the registered user base of Minecraft is listed at about 28 million users that is just over 4 million computers that need a driver update Smiley

Even if you get all those computers updated, excluding half your potential user base by supporting such a high version of OpenGL is a bit too much.
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #8 - Posted 2012-05-03 09:58:12 »

The logistics of driver updates is highly bothering. As far as most consumers is concerned, hardware and software are "one thing". Always aim for the lowest common denominator...

Cas Smiley

Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #9 - Posted 2012-05-03 10:05:55 »

It does looks like GL2.0 is a reasonable baseline these days, which is nice. Time to actually finish my shader based 2d renderer.

Are there any existing libraries like Slick that are shader based? All the ones that I can think of off hand are fixed-function.

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #10 - Posted 2012-05-03 10:08:46 »

I've finally moved to shaders as well. Only two years after moving to VBOs Smiley

Cas Smiley

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #11 - Posted 2012-05-03 12:25:30 »

First read thread's title I thought we're talking about notch's (and team's) PC Grin

Offline pitbuller
« Reply #12 - Posted 2012-05-03 21:31:14 »

It does looks like GL2.0 is a reasonable baseline these days, which is nice. Time to actually finish my shader based 2d renderer.

Are there any existing libraries like Slick that are shader based? All the ones that I can think of off hand are fixed-function.

Libgdx have fixed and shader path for all the rendering stuff. SpriteBatch default shader work almoust anything altought being extremely simple(fast) one.

What are the other features that you seek from shader for 2d? I can't figure many general things.
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Monkey for a head

« Reply #13 - Posted 2012-05-03 22:14:55 »

What are the other features that you seek from shader for 2d? I can't figure many general things.

Personally I look for a rich set of graphics primitives (ie. not just Sprites + SpriteBatch) which interact well, alongside a flexible geometry pipeline that ideally lets you mix and match geometry types with different geometry formats and shaders with different geometry format requirements.

It's a hard problem, and one that most 2d libs don't really attempt to solve. I've made good headway but got distracted by writing an actual game so it's still pretty incomplete. Smiley

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline theagentd
« Reply #14 - Posted 2012-05-04 04:17:38 »

Libgdx have fixed and shader path for all the rendering stuff. SpriteBatch default shader work almoust anything altought being extremely simple(fast) one.

Geometry shaders. -_-'

Myomyomyo.
Offline davedes
« Reply #15 - Posted 2012-05-04 06:02:31 »

What is are some practical uses of geometry shaders?

I've read that it's not practical for many tasks which you might expect (like point-based particle systems) as it's not very efficient. I haven't actually seen a single practical use of a geometry shader -- though I'd be interested to see their benefits.

Tessellation shaders, on the other hand... That's some cool stuff.

Offline theagentd
« Reply #16 - Posted 2012-05-04 06:44:58 »

What is are some practical uses of geometry shaders?

I've read that it's not practical for many tasks which you might expect (like point-based particle systems) as it's not very efficient. I haven't actually seen a single practical use of a geometry shader -- though I'd be interested to see their benefits.

Tessellation shaders, on the other hand... That's some cool stuff.
Proof? You know, Java is slow too....

Myomyomyo.
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #17 - Posted 2012-05-04 09:08:24 »

One extremely practical use for geometry shaders that would genuinely speed my code up by a considerable amount is drawing sprites. Currently I have to transform every vertex of a sprite's quad manually in Java before writing all the data out to a VBO. It's not that Java is massively slow at doing this per se, but the simple fact is that the GPU is probably rather faster at it, operates asynchronously, and I'd only have to write out a fraction of the data using a geometry shader.

The specific way it works is I'd just send the raw sprite info to the geometry shader - position, width, height, rotation angle, scales, vertex colours, etc; and the shader would then expand each one into four vertices. Thus reducing my bandwidth by an order of magnitude and freeing my CPU up to do gamey things.

Granted this is not generally a concern for most people but then I can use upwards of 8000 sprites in a single frame at 60Hz and it starts to become a bit of a bottleneck.

Cas Smiley

Offline theagentd
« Reply #18 - Posted 2012-05-04 09:41:38 »

Like Cas said, in the case of 2D it allows much more efficient usage of bandwidth since we don´t have to duplicate vertex data or do everything on the CPU. For 3D it´s suitable for algorithms that require visibility of all vertices in a triangle. A very simple example would be flat shading where we need to calculate a normal for each triangle. Since we can´t store multiple normals for each vertex without duplicating vertices it´s a lot more efficient to just calculate the normal in a geometry shader.

Geometry shaders also have other capabilites, like basic 3D rendering. It´s possible to bind a 3D texture (or a 2D texture array) to an FBO and then route triangles to different z-layers of the texture. This also possible with cube mapping, meaning that we can draw to a cubemap in a single pass or render to all cascades of cascaded shadow maps. A new OGL4 feature also allows you to specify the number of invocations of the geometry shader, improving parallelism in the GPU.

Myomyomyo.
Offline davedes
« Reply #19 - Posted 2012-05-05 02:57:19 »

This isn't a comprehensive benchmark but it's interesting to see the marked difference in CPU usage:

GL_POINTS + geometry shader + vertex arrays: ~18,300 sprites at 60 FPS
GL_TRIANGLES + vertex arrays: ~17,500 sprites at 60 FPS

Can probably be further improved with interleaved arrays and VBOs.

Shader source, for those interested:
http://pastebin.com/R2kexnYJ

Though I wonder how this would hold up on other machines...

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #20 - Posted 2012-05-05 10:45:20 »

I could do quite a lot more stuff with that extra CPU (not to mention another 10% sprite count).

Cas Smiley

Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Monkey for a head

« Reply #21 - Posted 2012-05-05 12:32:14 »

Just to play devils advocate for a moment, but wouldn't this mean you'd *only* be able to render sprites? (ie. rectangles with a width/height/angle). Sure, some things (like nine patches) could be converted to sprites, but you'd loose the ability to have things like ribbons, curves, rings, circles, etc. You'd have to draw them in separate batches, which might mean further chopping up your geometry shader sprite batches heavily.

I'm not sure if the tradeoffs would overall be worth it. I suspect it might be highly scene dependent - I tend to have lots of non-sprite drawing, what about other people? Cas, are you faking things like your spotlights with rotated sprites?

Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

Medals: 107

You think about my Avatar right now!

« Reply #22 - Posted 2012-05-05 12:33:46 »

For that case, you could simple disable the geometry shader, and render everything without any limitations...

See my:
    My development Blog:     | Or look at my RPG | Or simply my coding
http://matheusdev.tumblr.comRuins of Revenge  |      On Github
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Monkey for a head

« Reply #23 - Posted 2012-05-05 13:56:15 »

For that case, you could simple disable the geometry shader, and render everything without any limitations...
Yes, that's what I said by 'you'd have to draw them in separate batches'.

Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

Medals: 107

You think about my Avatar right now!

« Reply #24 - Posted 2012-05-05 17:05:54 »

oh.. okey, I think that comes from libGDX, right? ... Couldn't now that. Have never used libGDX Smiley

See my:
    My development Blog:     | Or look at my RPG | Or simply my coding
http://matheusdev.tumblr.comRuins of Revenge  |      On Github
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #25 - Posted 2012-05-05 17:52:23 »

Just to play devils advocate for a moment, but wouldn't this mean you'd *only* be able to render sprites? (ie. rectangles with a width/height/angle). Sure, some things (like nine patches) could be converted to sprites, but you'd loose the ability to have things like ribbons, curves, rings, circles, etc. You'd have to draw them in separate batches, which might mean further chopping up your geometry shader sprite batches heavily.

I'm not sure if the tradeoffs would overall be worth it. I suspect it might be highly scene dependent - I tend to have lots of non-sprite drawing, what about other people? Cas, are you faking things like your spotlights with rotated sprites?
Spotlights n that are just rotated sprites. Special effects such as radar circles, lasers, strobes, targeting reticule animations, that's done outside of the normal sprite rendering in a cunning sort of interleaving. It wouldn't quite work the same way as is currently in the library (which uses a the same VBOs for sprite vertices as for the effects geometry) - I'd probably have to use a completely separate VBO to avoid all sorts of confusion.
Anyway, all moot, as not enough machine support geometry shaders yet.

Cas Smiley

Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Monkey for a head

« Reply #26 - Posted 2012-05-05 18:42:03 »

oh.. okey, I think that comes from libGDX, right? ... Couldn't now that. Have never used libGDX Smiley

I'm sorry but I genuinely can't parse that sentence.  Huh Huh Huh

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #27 - Posted 2012-05-06 03:36:26 »

@Orangy Tang
I think he refers to your "separate batches" thing. As in libgdx you can have multiple instances of SpriteBatch to draw on screen, which each one holds its own properties. Based on my 2 hours experience on lwjgl, you can't do that except by popping and pushing property of GL.

Behold my post, prince is coming! Grin

Offline davedes
« Reply #28 - Posted 2012-05-06 06:01:09 »

As in libgdx you can have multiple instances of SpriteBatch to draw on screen, which each one holds its own properties.
In this case a "batch" refers to sending geometry data to the GPU (e.g. VBO, vertex array, or glEnd). You need to flush the renderer and any currently accumulated sprites before you can change shaders. SpriteBatch may do this internally, just like it does whenever you give it a new texture. Having multiple SpriteBatch instances will not solve your problem.

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #29 - Posted 2012-05-06 10:10:53 »

There's no need for you to flush anything - OpenGL drivers batch up the requests internally in a queue and execute them asynchronously. There's still a pipeline stall server-side but that's just because there has to be.

Cas Smiley

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

radar3301 (12 views)
2014-09-21 23:33:17

BurntPizza (30 views)
2014-09-21 02:42:18

BurntPizza (22 views)
2014-09-21 01:30:30

moogie (20 views)
2014-09-21 00:26:15

UprightPath (28 views)
2014-09-20 20:14:06

BurntPizza (33 views)
2014-09-19 03:14:18

Dwinin (48 views)
2014-09-12 09:08:26

Norakomi (74 views)
2014-09-10 13:57:51

TehJavaDev (103 views)
2014-09-10 06:39:09

Tekkerue (50 views)
2014-09-09 02:24:56
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org