Games in Android Showcase (112)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (555)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  My Little Dungeon - LD23 Game  (Read 8385 times)
Offline bach

Medals: 3
Projects: 2

« Posted 2012-04-29 16:44:19 »

Hey everyone,

We made a little game for LD23 - it's a reversed RPG of some sorts. Instead of controlling your hero directly you build a dungeon for him to fight through instead. Your hero will level up and find weapons and ultimately try and defeat the boss at the bottom of the map.

We created this game during 72hrs. In a lot of ways we're happy with it. There are also some rough edges though Grin But overall we see this as a great base to work off and make into a fantastic little game. I will keep this thread updated with news regarding the game.

Link to the entry: My Little Dungeon

Some screenshots:

Would love it if you guys checked it out and let me know what you think of it.

Cheers,
Bach
Offline Tim Spekler
« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-04-29 17:19:25 »

Sprites and textures are really nice and coherent, well done !  Cool
I never (as far as I remember  Tongue ) saw a gameplay like this one. Really interesting. Great job !
Need to play some more now..  Grin
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-04-30 01:50:31 »

Very polished game. Love the graphics. Rated.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 128
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

« Reply #3 - Posted 2012-04-30 03:14:43 »

Pretty cool, unique gameplay, nice graphics.
Offline krasse
« Reply #4 - Posted 2012-04-30 10:03:59 »

Very nice!
What library do you use?
Edit: I guess that you use libgdx

Offline bach

« Reply #5 - Posted 2012-04-30 10:10:21 »

Thanks for playing guys!! Smiley Glad you enjoyed it..

Very nice!
What library do you use?
Edit: I guess that you use libgdx

This was made with libGdx indeed. <3 libgdx
Offline thatbennyguy

Innocent Bystander

« Reply #6 - Posted 2012-04-30 10:54:20 »

Good quality graphics, variable gameplay and style to boot! A bit slow though, but great entry.
Offline Nyhm

Projects: 1

Island Forge

« Reply #7 - Posted 2012-04-30 16:45:23 »

Magnificent! Had to stop myself after a few minutes, lest the rest of my productivity today be slain.

Island Forge: Create Islands with Stories for Others to Explore!
Free-to-Play with Membership and Upgrade options!
Offline Cruiser

Medals: 1

Twitter: @totallymorten

« Reply #8 - Posted 2012-04-30 21:38:50 »

This is a really nice game, very fun and addictive.... good job!!! :-)
Offline deathpat
« Reply #9 - Posted 2012-04-30 22:03:35 »

Nice and fun ! I reached the final boss but failed to kill him Smiley

work in progress : D A E D A L U S
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline loom_weaver

JGO Coder

Medals: 17

« Reply #10 - Posted 2012-04-30 22:39:38 »

Novel idea!

I couldn't understand the numbers at the bottom at first.  I thought that I had 25125 health.  Then it looked like 25 I 25 health.  It took me until the 2nd game to realize that it was actually 25 / 25.

Pressing enter to go down a row is not apparent and having to right-click / scroll in general is not intuitive.  It would be better to have something on-screen that you click to change modes.

Fun graphics and cool experience overall.  Thumbs up and would be interested in seeing this expanded.
Offline bach

« Reply #11 - Posted 2012-05-01 04:53:28 »

Novel idea!

I couldn't understand the numbers at the bottom at first.  I thought that I had 25125 health.  Then it looked like 25 I 25 health.  It took me until the 2nd game to realize that it was actually 25 / 25.

Pressing enter to go down a row is not apparent and having to right-click / scroll in general is not intuitive.  It would be better to have something on-screen that you click to change modes.

Fun graphics and cool experience overall.  Thumbs up and would be interested in seeing this expanded.

Yea, the UI is .. very hacky  Grin As you'd know creating a good UI takes good time.. we just didn't have enough time to make it happen during Ludum Dare. But we're working on expanding this which will include UI improvements.

Thanks everyone for checking it out!

Bach
Offline Cruiser

Medals: 1

Twitter: @totallymorten

« Reply #12 - Posted 2012-05-01 10:05:25 »

I played the game through, very nice when you realize that you can get "stuck" if you plan your route wrong and end up in a "rocky dead end" :-)

Some observations/thoughts:
1. if you go down a stair directly on top of a "slimey" then sometimes you cannot hit it and slimey can hit you ==> death.
2. Maybe some balancing: Skeletons should be a bit harder and you should maybe not get food when levelling up. Else it's actully quite simple to just make 20G rooms all the way down (alsmost) because you get food and health when levelling up and that rules out the "resting room" which I think is a SUPER idea :-) by the way.

Cheers
/Morten
Offline bach

« Reply #13 - Posted 2012-05-03 09:20:02 »

I played the game through, very nice when you realize that you can get "stuck" if you plan your route wrong and end up in a "rocky dead end" :-)

Some observations/thoughts:
1. if you go down a stair directly on top of a "slimey" then sometimes you cannot hit it and slimey can hit you ==> death.
2. Maybe some balancing: Skeletons should be a bit harder and you should maybe not get food when levelling up. Else it's actully quite simple to just make 20G rooms all the way down (alsmost) because you get food and health when levelling up and that rules out the "resting room" which I think is a SUPER idea :-) by the way.

Cheers
/Morten

Thank you Smiley Feedback is much appreciated!

Cheers,
Bach
Offline Apo
« Reply #14 - Posted 2012-05-03 09:21:37 »

Very nice little game.
I don't think its too easy. I needed 2 starts because in the first one my hero was starved ...

I would be interested in seeing this expanded too ... more monster, more rooms, some talents which you can choose when you are leveling up etc =)
Offline Bradley

Junior Newbie

« Reply #15 - Posted 2012-05-04 13:20:12 »

It looks really good, but unfortunately it closes right away for me.  Undecided

Good job none-the-less.
Offline bach

« Reply #16 - Posted 2012-05-04 14:17:42 »

Good job none-the-less.

Hey Bradley,

Thanks for checking it out! Smiley Which version did you try? And what OS/Gfx card do you have there?

Thanks,
Bach
Offline Bradley

Junior Newbie

« Reply #17 - Posted 2012-05-04 22:27:17 »

Good job none-the-less.

Hey Bradley,

Thanks for checking it out! Smiley Which version did you try? And what OS/Gfx card do you have there?

Thanks,
Bach
Windows XP, and I don't know my graphics card.  Tongue
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #18 - Posted 2012-05-05 02:48:25 »

@Bradley
open dxdiag with Run, tab display.

Offline bach

« Reply #19 - Posted 2012-05-05 07:10:02 »

Good job none-the-less.

Hey Bradley,

Thanks,
Bach
Windows XP, and I don't know my graphics card.  Tongue

Yea I fear that your gfx card probably doesn't support shaders, which the game needs. Sorry Sad

Bach
Offline The Cure

Senior Newbie

« Reply #20 - Posted 2012-07-23 12:53:00 »

Hey Bach, a different kind of game, cool btw. I liked the bgm.

I have one question... what method do you used to resize the game? Because when we change the size of the window, all the stuff inside changes and keep the proportion (images, texts), and i want to do the same for my game (keep the proportion for all screen resolutions).

I don't know anything about the libGdx library, i'm not using libraries (except for music and sound), so can it be a native function of the library or something like that?

Thanks.

Ps: Sorry for any english mistakes, i'm in the language learning process.

"A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle" - Erin Majors
Offline bach

« Reply #21 - Posted 2012-07-24 08:15:50 »

Hey Bach, a different kind of game, cool btw. I liked the bgm.

I have one question... what method do you used to resize the game? Because when we change the size of the window, all the stuff inside changes and keep the proportion (images, texts), and i want to do the same for my game (keep the proportion for all screen resolutions).

I don't know anything about the libGdx library, i'm not using libraries (except for music and sound), so can it be a native function of the library or something like that?

Thanks.

Ps: Sorry for any english mistakes, i'm in the language learning process.

Hey man,

Libgdx uses opengl for rendering. So unless you use opengl it'd be kinda tricky to do it the same way. Basically you define a viewport (which defines where in the window it should render to). All the 3d stuff (even sprites are 3d, just flat quads) get then projected via a projection matrix to screen coordinates. So the thing that stays consistent is the projection matrix, this way you can always use the same world coordinates in game no matter what the resolution of the window/screen is. The viewport then gets adjusted to fit the screen size and/or resized to keep aspect ratio.

This is from the libgdx doc, probably explains it much better than I ever will: https://code.google.com/p/libgdx/wiki/GraphicsFundamentalsViewport

Hope this helps somewhat!

Cheers,
Bach
Offline The Cure

Senior Newbie

« Reply #22 - Posted 2012-07-24 08:56:28 »

thank you, i'll take a look.

"A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle" - Erin Majors
Offline bach

« Reply #23 - Posted 2012-07-24 09:05:28 »

This might help too: https://code.google.com/p/libgdx/wiki/ProjectionViewportCamera

Again, libgdx specific however the concepts explained are the same for anything..

Cheers,
Bach
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print