Games in Showcase (581)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (500)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Render tiles for RPG game  (Read 2524 times)
Offline dawars

Junior Newbie

« Posted 2012-04-21 18:31:26 »

Hello,
I'm quite new in Java but I made some Minecraft modding!

And I decided to learn something new.
I think I should make a top view 2D RPG game like Pokémon Cheesy or something like that.
But I don't know where to start.
I think Catacomb Snatch is pretty similar to the game I want but with new textures of course. I don't know if it's easier to modify it or start from the basics.
And I don't know - if I need any - which game engine or library should I use.

So please help me and if I missed something just tell me Wink
Offline Axeman

Medals: 7

« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-04-21 20:09:55 »

I´m new to game programming myself and the first advice I got was "Start making clones of classic games". That meant Pong and Asteroids and Tetris. That sounded so boring and I wanted to make a zombie game with a lot of cool graphics and advanced AI! But one day a got a rectangle to move around on the screen and suddenly I found myself programming a Pong clone and realized I learned a lot about how to make games! And of course how not to do it... Smiley I also found myself having a complete game and having completed a project brings confidence. Now I´m just learning new techniques, like proper physics and collision, and I´m incorporating this in Asteroid type of game with a twist. I´m still gonna get around to make my zombie game, but now I know I have to be ready for it first. And I have a lot to learn before that happens, but I´m having pretty fun along the way... Smiley

So, long story short: If you´re new to java and programming... Don´t go the paved path of unfinished RPG games. Smiley
Offline dawars

Junior Newbie

« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-04-21 20:13:08 »

Ok but what library sould I use?
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Axeman

Medals: 7

« Reply #3 - Posted 2012-04-21 22:58:42 »

Can´t really help you there, sorry... Though I think I saw a tutorial thread on how to make 2D RPG on the board, so you should check it out. That might help. Good luck!
Offline jonjava
« Reply #4 - Posted 2012-04-21 23:20:15 »

Start with standard sun java. Smiley

Learn how to load images from files and how to paint them on the screen. How to listen for user input. After that, learn the holy trinity of game programming Ie: Load, Update, Render.

Load: Load resources ( images ).

Update: Listen for user input (ex: from the keyboard), and update the game world ( logic ).

Render: Draw the scene once the game has been updated.

Rince and repeat Update -> Render -> Update -> Render.

Offline Ultroman

JGO Knight

Medals: 24
Projects: 1

Snappin' at snizzes since '83

« Reply #5 - Posted 2012-04-24 02:14:12 »

Very nice post to get a newcomer started, jonjava Smiley It's so important to know the basic steps.

I have to agree with axeman about the RPG games. I have been programming a top-down RPG for the past 6 months, as my first actual game, and I must admit I should not have started there. I've learned so much on the way, that when I stumble upon some code I wrote 5 months ago, I tremble because of the bad procedures I've used, and I find myself optimizing a lot on the way. When you work like that, you end up having to fix a lot of other code that used the bad code after optimizing it, and it gets pretty tedious. Plus I've spent most of my time designing and programming menus and designing stat-systems, instead of getting a lot of new skills under my belt. Although I've gotten pretty bad-ass at making menus ^^

I have ended up with a fully functional game-framework, with collision-detection, several tile-layers and a battle-system, but I could've done it a lot quicker, if I had started with some simple games. And now I find myself in the position where I have to make a map-editor, and start scripting an entire game from the story I've written...and it's killing me. RPG-games are not the best way to progress in programming.

My best advice would be: Get some action/arcade games under your belt. During the time you spend on these, think about all the elements you want in your RPG, and do some high-level designing, so you know exactly what you're going to make and how it's going to work. Which stats do you want? Which stats should weapons have? Do you get stat-points at each level, and if so, which other stats do they affect? Should monsters have equipment or predefined stats? How do you want battle to work? Are there quests, and if so are they WoW-style or FF7-style? etc.. These are the things I found myself changing all the time.

I'd recommend getting comfortable with the basics of the gameloop, as jonjava posted, by doing some simple games. Do a Pong-game, it won't take you more than a few weeks if you're a perfectionist, and less if you don't really care about the graphics.

- Jonas
Offline dawars

Junior Newbie

« Reply #6 - Posted 2012-04-24 20:47:44 »

Thank you,
Now I'm watching the tutorial of thenewboston: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jb3rOeIiOQ&feature=bf_next&list=SPA331A6709F40B79D
and the live of notch when he was at the ludum dare 22: http://www.twitch.tv/notch/b/302823358
Offline Ultroman

JGO Knight

Medals: 24
Projects: 1

Snappin' at snizzes since '83

« Reply #7 - Posted 2012-04-25 20:46:40 »

Thank you,
Now I'm watching the tutorial of thenewboston: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jb3rOeIiOQ&feature=bf_next&list=SPA331A6709F40B79D

Sadly, his ScreenManager never quite got finished, so I had to figure out a great deal myself. I'd really love to see more, and to know what he's using that last method for. It's not used for anything, and he never really mentions it.

- Jonas
Offline dawars

Junior Newbie

« Reply #8 - Posted 2012-04-25 22:07:23 »

OK,
in the videos I saw they draw a whole image but I'd like to draw only a part of a picture.
In Notch's live he uses only 4 colors in a tile and colors it so it's not good for me.

So I load a picture:
image = ImageIO.read(Game.class.getResourceAsStream("/icons.png"));

And I think I can't do what Notch made because it works only with 8 bit:
pixels = image.getRGB(0, 0, width, height, null, 0, width);

And I need somehow to make a function which gives the tile e.g. getTile(int column, int row);

And then draw it somewhere
I don't know if it's better to make a new function to render 1 tile and call it in the loops or just simply make a function which draws all the background tiles.

edit: I think I found but I'm didn't try it
Offline dawars

Junior Newbie

« Reply #9 - Posted 2012-04-27 22:34:14 »

I managed to draw the tiles and now I'm working on the player.

And I have a green bg in the tiles file can I remove it when it renders or is it better to remove the bg from the image file?
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline joeyismusic

« Reply #10 - Posted 2012-04-27 22:36:04 »

I managed to draw the tiles and now I'm working on the player.

And I have a green bg in the tiles file can I remove it when it renders or is it better to remove the bg from the image file?

Just make it transparent in the image, as J2D and OGL both fully support transparent image formats (like PNG).
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

xsi3rr4x (58 views)
2014-04-15 18:08:23

BurntPizza (56 views)
2014-04-15 03:46:01

UprightPath (69 views)
2014-04-14 17:39:50

UprightPath (52 views)
2014-04-14 17:35:47

Porlus (69 views)
2014-04-14 15:48:38

tom_mai78101 (95 views)
2014-04-10 04:04:31

BurntPizza (155 views)
2014-04-08 23:06:04

tom_mai78101 (250 views)
2014-04-05 13:34:39

trollwarrior1 (206 views)
2014-04-04 12:06:45

CJLetsGame (213 views)
2014-04-01 02:16:10
List of Learning Resources
by SHC
2014-04-18 03:17:39

List of Learning Resources
by Longarmx
2014-04-08 03:14:44

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-05 13:51:37

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:46

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:37

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:51

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:34

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:22:30
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org