Games in Android Showcase (225)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (823)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Daedalus - no escape  (Read 191133 times)
Offline deathpat
« Reply #300 - Posted 2014-09-28 14:48:45 »

@ra4king: PM sent Wink You can then post your feedback here to share with others, as there is no risk to have a spoiler on the non existant scenario of the game Cheesy

Here is the feedback from Longarmx with my answers in blue:

"
So first, let me tell you that this game is amazing! It's one of the best games I've played in a while, and I'm glad I got this opportunity to test this for you.

Here are some minor issues/thoughts I had:
Editor:
=> For the editor most of your questions find an answer in the help page available when clicking on the "?" icon in the right part of the toolbar
- I would like some way to rotate objects and other items with some keyboard keys (like q & e)
=> see help

- To me, rotation is backwards (ccw). Perhaps there should be an option to have rotations either clockwise or counter-clock wise)?
=> indeed, I'll find a way to fix this without messing everything up (need to keep compatibility with the existing maps Smiley ), but it should be easy

- I think that the scroll wheel should allow you to zoom (or some other control). I zoomed out with the zoom button, but could not figure out how to zoom back in.
=> see help

- Maybe some sort of undo / redo functionality?
=> I know it's missing but it's kinda hard to implement, particularly now because the editor is not coded in a way that makes this easy. So I won't do it before release but I clearly need to think about it for a future update.

- There should be some sort of picking functionality, where you can select an object in the world instead of having to find it in the inventory on the left.
=> see help for switching between creation/selection. Otherwise it's possible to select an item on the map, and then click on the "use as creation brush" button in the bottom right part of the editor

- When choosing a particle effect, maybe there should be a preview of the effect rather than just a black box.
=> indeed I shoud try to find a way to do this (the way I create these thumbnails makes it a bit difficult to do with the particles because they are animated Smiley )

If you think the help page is not clear on some points, please tell me Wink

Game:
- In my opinion, the text that shows who you killed should be white, and the text that shows you who killed you should be red. (so just switched around)
=> you're right, that's fixed
- It would be nice to have some sort of audio indication that the game is about to end. (Like "A player is about to win!")
=> true, I'll see to it, there's the same kind of message in quake3 now that I think about it Smiley (2 frags left ... 1 frag left ...)
- In the map "dm12 M," the small room with the two blasters and health is way op. Smiley Every game that I camped in there, I won.
=> true, I'll see what I can do Smiley

Menu:
- The confirmation box (when you're quitting a game) doesn't fit the style of all the other menus. (It's light gray and not transparent)
oh man I changed this so many times lol I can't find a color/theme that is nice and remains readable Sad I should try again but I clearly agree on this!
- In the credits, libraries is spelled wrong Pointing
=> oups, fixed

Once again, I am very glad that I could test this for you, so I hope you don't feel like I didn't enjoy the game, because it was amazing!

Thanks a lot for your feedback, that's very valuable to me. You didn't tell anything so I conclude that you did not had any crash/issue with the game or editor ? That's good news
"

work in progress : D A E D A L U S
Offline Longarmx
« Reply #301 - Posted 2014-09-28 15:22:39 »

Sorry about that, I noticed the help button but never though to click it for some reason. Clueless The help page is very well made, and it solved all of my problems, I just needed to look at it. Pointing

I completely forgot to tell you some of the most important info:
- The game and editor never crashed after 2-3 hours of use.
- The game ran really smoothly without any stuttering.

And actually, now that I think about it, the confirmation menu fits pretty well, just the background of it threw me off. So maybe a translucent or darker background would help it fit better?

Also, shared my map so that others can see my terrible map-making skills  Pointing

Offline deathpat
« Reply #302 - Posted 2014-09-29 10:11:34 »

ok cool. For the menu I did some tests yerterday ... not successful Smiley I've got another idea I need to test ... suspense

Your map is not so bad by the way, I played it, there are some interesting dark areas to hide Smiley

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 506
Projects: 3
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #303 - Posted 2014-10-14 03:49:34 »

After the strange crashing issues were resolved (screw you Avast!), I was finally able to play the game!

I played the highscore mode and I must say, that was the most fun I've had in a while. As more and more enemy bots were added, it kept getting very hectic and hilarious as shots went flying everywhere. In the couple hours that I was playing it, I encountered not a single issue. I absolutely loved the voices (the ending sound with "you lose" was my favorite) and the menus and animations fit perfectly and functioned smoothly. Very impressive work and excellent job deathpat!

The game editor was very nice to use, although an undo/redo function would be very useful! The controls for it also need to be more obvious/displayed somewhere unless I'm blind and didn't see them Smiley

Offline deathpat
« Reply #304 - Posted 2014-10-14 22:54:19 »

Thanks for your feedback Wink

for the antivirus issue, as a workaround I now run the game with a bat file (instead of an exe generated with launch4j). The definitive solution would be to sign the exe (need to investigate this ....)

Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #305 - Posted 2014-10-14 23:00:55 »

Hmmm I do believe .bat files also trigger the same response. You are correct the best way is to sign the EXE with a Trusted Root.

You have a good eye for UX by the way, I must say again the menus are very well done.

I found a bug in the Game Editor. When closing the window and having not saved the work, the window does not close after saving.

Offline deathpat
« Reply #306 - Posted 2014-10-19 01:04:45 »

Hmmm I do believe .bat files also trigger the same response. You are correct the best way is to sign the EXE with a Trusted Root.

You have a good eye for UX by the way, I must say again the menus are very well done.

I found a bug in the Game Editor. When closing the window and having not saved the work, the window does not close after saving.

Thanks for the bug in the editor, in fact it was initially done on purpose, but I tested some other applications and indeed they all behave as you said it should and not as I did Smiley So it's fixed now.

For the bat files, from what I tested it seems to be ok (I had no issue with avast).

Offline matanui159

JGO Coder

Medals: 11
Projects: 1
Exp: 10-12 months

Aww... So cute...

« Reply #307 - Posted 2014-10-19 07:56:39 »

I thought I might try your game but I couldn't open the zip file... I will try to find a way to fix corrupted files but maybe you should look into this...

I am using a Lenovo E530 with Windows 8.1 installed... I have tryed both normal windows and 7-Zip to open the file...
Windows says that it cannot open the file because it is invalid...
And 7-Zip says that it cannot open it as a zip file...

Plz fix this... thx in advance...

EDIT: I have used a repair tool to fix it but their was still one broken file...

EDIT 2: Couldn't run it after extracting it...

Is it sad that I still get a fright when the computer beeps at me...
Offline lcass
« Reply #308 - Posted 2014-10-19 11:49:37 »

I thought I might try your game but I couldn't open the zip file... I will try to find a way to fix corrupted files but maybe you should look into this...

I am using a Lenovo E530 with Windows 8.1 installed... I have tryed both normal windows and 7-Zip to open the file...
Windows says that it cannot open the file because it is invalid...
And 7-Zip says that it cannot open it as a zip file...

Plz fix this... thx in advance...

EDIT: I have used a repair tool to fix it but their was still one broken file...

EDIT 2: Couldn't run it after extracting it...
Have you tried running it through he console to see if it returned an exception?
Offline matanui159

JGO Coder

Aww... So cute...

« Reply #309 - Posted 2014-10-19 12:23:58 »

No.. The exe wouldn't start up... It said it couldn't find this dll file (can't remember name... Started with jfx...)

But I think it won't start because of that file 7-Zip failed to extract...

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline deathpat
« Reply #310 - Posted 2014-10-19 15:00:37 »

Hey, have you tried to download it again ? Maybe with another browser. Do you use some kind of download manager ? I already had someone with the same issue because of the download manager he was using.

The zip file itself is working fine, they are quite a lot of people who downloaded it without issues.

Offline Riven
Administrator

« JGO Overlord »

Medals: 1324
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #311 - Posted 2014-10-19 16:32:37 »

Pro-tip: compare the (sha1) hashes of your files against some index, at every launch. Virus scanners and/or viruses criple your files all the time. It might sound like a long shot, but @ puppygames that additional check revealed the cause of hundreds of crashes.

If there is a hash mismatch, redownload, extract, check the hash again. If the operation keeps failing you show the user some dialog that kindly tells him his computer is foobar.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings!
Offline matanui159

JGO Coder

Aww... So cute...

« Reply #312 - Posted 2014-10-19 23:48:48 »

I only have Chrome and IE... I used Chrome to download it but I might try IE this afternoon... (Oh the horror)

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 976

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #313 - Posted 2014-10-20 07:32:27 »

This was indeed the final nail in the coffin for "direct sales" for us... Steam all the way now. That and DNS craziness. I couldn't believe how unreliable DNS was.

Cas Smiley

Offline deathpat
« Reply #314 - Posted 2014-10-21 21:24:18 »

That's a bit scary Smiley I begin to wonder if I should sell the game on other platforms than steam as I was initially planning ... for sure steam is really handy for the deployment.

@matanui159: have you finally managed to download the demo ?

Offline matanui159

JGO Coder

Aww... So cute...

« Reply #315 - Posted 2014-10-21 23:54:53 »

Sry, not yet... I have been busy... I'll do it tomorrow afternoon as I have esteadford this afternoon...

Offline matanui159

JGO Coder

Aww... So cute...

« Reply #316 - Posted 2014-10-23 09:24:17 »

I tried downloading with IE (I heard it was slow but rly? it froze on me about seven times while Chrome just starts)...
Still not working tho...

Here is some error info (repaired zip):
- 7-zip says that 'daedalus/jre/bin/jfxwebkit.dll' is broken
- both daedalus.bat and daedalus.exe says that they cannot open 'C:/Users/<my name>/Downloads/<extracted folder>/daedalus/jre/lib/i386/jvm.cfg' (because the 'i386' folder is empty)
- daedalus-launcher.exe says that it cannot open 'C:/Users/<my name>/Downloads/<extracted folder>/daedalus/lib/launcher-base.jar' (because the 'lib' folder is empty)

I don't know about you but I think this file is screwed up... All I can think of to do is to turn of my computer and wait for the singularity to come... (got that off xkcd...)

Offline deathpat
« Reply #317 - Posted 2014-10-25 15:11:13 »

Hey matanui159,

As I told you, for sure the zip is fine as it has been downloaded and tested by quite a lot of other players now. For a reason I don't get the file is being corrupted when you download it ...
Anyway you can get it from indiedb instead of my website:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/daedalus/downloads

I hope you will have no issue there.
By curiosity can you tell me in which country do you live ?

cheers

Offline Riven
Administrator

« JGO Overlord »

Medals: 1324
Projects: 4

Hand over your head.

« Reply #318 - Posted 2014-10-25 15:17:27 »

Give him the (sha256) hash of your file, so he can verify the download didn't cause corruption. If the hash matches, it's out of your hands. If not, it's out of your hands too. Great, isn't it? Smiley

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings!
Offline deathpat
« Reply #319 - Posted 2014-10-25 17:20:19 »

lol ok, I love your proposition Riven and now I want to know the result even it it's useless Cheesy

Here is the sha256 of daedalus-windows32-0.9.10demo.zip :
49ACD3787CE25DF9C5DBE744174A092925E26929BD1A7DC4CB63C5F6068C4101

And today I uploaded a new version, daedalus-windows32-0.9.17demo.zip :
EB6FE15053ED27E244C4DD4E245019DA40EC93991366D610261FDDC09A7FA88E

I used http://sourceforge.net/projects/quickhash/ to calculate it.

cheers Smiley

Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #320 - Posted 2014-10-25 23:54:56 »

I use this nifty application called HashTab: http://implbits.com/products/hashtab/
It adds a tab to the Properties window of files called File Hashes and it shows you the hash of the file in several formats. SHA-256 does not show by default, so click on the Settings button and enable it.

Offline matanui159

JGO Coder

Aww... So cute...

« Reply #321 - Posted 2014-10-26 10:15:12 »

Um... I don't know how to use hashes... Grin
But I might try downloading it from IndieDB...
I'm in Australia if you are wondering (which you kind of are)...

Offline deathpat
« Reply #322 - Posted 2014-10-30 00:23:30 »

Hey there !

Just passing by to let you know that Daedalus - No Escape is now available for purchase on steam !

http://store.steampowered.com/app/315830

Don't hesitate to come by and throw some love at the game ! Smiley

cheers

Offline matanui159

JGO Coder

Aww... So cute...

« Reply #323 - Posted 2014-10-30 01:44:33 »

Finally it is on steam!
But sadly it is paid...
Still, I might try it...

Offline Slyth2727
« Reply #324 - Posted 2014-10-30 02:31:15 »

Finally it is on steam!
But sadly it is paid...
Still, I might try it...

Of course it costs money! Support this guy, he deserves it more than anyone.
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #325 - Posted 2014-10-30 06:48:47 »

Is this the same as the one you gave me to test? If so... sweet, free game! I'd still love to throw the $10 at you as I very much enjoyed the game, how could I do that?

Offline deathpat
« Reply #326 - Posted 2014-10-31 09:13:15 »

@ra4king: yes your key remains valid, but if you still want to pay for it which is veeeery nice of you, you can buy it again on steam as a gift and offer it to a friend who had no initial intention to buy it Wink I've got no other way to receive payment at the moment.

@Slyth2727: thanks! Wink

Offline Joshua Waring
« Reply #327 - Posted 2014-11-12 01:41:21 »

I remember playing this game in 2012 with a class full of students getting wrecked at the hands of my mouse.
Great fun even back then when you had all the weapons and no ammo (Can that be a game mode because we enjoyed it more that way). But I came back to the forum because I saw an ad on Gamedev.net for it's steam page and I wanted to congratulate you Cheesy!

Also free copies for beta testers Grin?

The world is big, so learn it in small bytes.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]
  ignore  |  Print  

Ecumene (111 views)
2017-09-30 02:57:34

theagentd (147 views)
2017-09-26 18:23:31

cybrmynd (245 views)
2017-08-02 12:28:51

cybrmynd (241 views)
2017-08-02 12:19:43

cybrmynd (241 views)
2017-08-02 12:18:09

Sralse (255 views)
2017-07-25 17:13:48

Archive (874 views)
2017-04-27 17:45:51

buddyBro (1025 views)
2017-04-05 03:38:00

CopyableCougar4 (1578 views)
2017-03-24 15:39:42

theagentd (1376 views)
2017-03-24 15:32:08
List of Learning Resources
by elect
2017-03-13 14:05:44

List of Learning Resources
by elect
2017-03-13 14:04:45

SF/X Libraries
by philfrei
2017-03-02 08:45:19

SF/X Libraries
by philfrei
2017-03-02 08:44:05

SF/X Libraries
by SkyAphid
2017-03-02 06:38:56

SF/X Libraries
by SkyAphid
2017-03-02 06:38:32

SF/X Libraries
by SkyAphid
2017-03-02 06:38:05

SF/X Libraries
by SkyAphid
2017-03-02 06:37:51
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org