ignore  |  Print  
  Daedalus  (Read 57019 times)
Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

Medals: 106
Projects: 3

You think about my Avatar right now!

« Reply #210 - Posted 2013-05-19 14:47:44 »

Awesome! I'm still a big fan of this game, voted on greenlight, and downloading at the moment! Can't wait to play again! Smiley

See my:
    My development Blog:     | Or look at my RPG | Or simply my coding
http://matheusdev.tumblr.comRuins of Revenge  |      On Github
Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

« Reply #211 - Posted 2013-05-19 16:37:42 »

I've now tried myself at creating a map, a little bit Smiley

Awesome stuff! Smiley

It has to be noted, that whenever you create a map and the editor saves it. If it's not inside ~/.shoot/res/maps, then you need to move it there (from relative to the executable directory from the editor).

Else, you can't choose that map Smiley

Also, loved making particle effects! Even tough there are only 3 different types available.

See my:
Offline deathpat
« Reply #212 - Posted 2013-05-19 17:00:07 »

cool Smiley

It has to be noted, that whenever you create a map and the editor saves it. If it's not inside ~/.shoot/res/maps, then you need to move it there (from relative to the executable directory from the editor).
Else, you can't choose that map Smiley

That's weird, are you using the jar or the package ? If you're using the jar, how do you launch it ( double click, command line, from what folder .. ) for the game ? The game is reading from the current directory so if you launch using for instance "java -jar ./download/daedalus.jar" it should try to load from the wrong folder.
This is something I may be able to fix .. have to figure out how Smiley

Also, loved making particle effects! Even tough there are only 3 different types available.

by 3 types you mean normal/burn/light ? ( by the way I should remove "light" blending as it's almost never usefull Smiley )

work in progress : D A E D A L U S
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

« Reply #213 - Posted 2013-05-19 20:40:31 »

That's weird, are you using the jar or the package ? If you're using the jar, how do you launch it ( double click, command line, from what folder .. ) for the game ? The game is reading from the current directory so if you launch using for instance "java -jar ./download/daedalus.jar" it should try to load from the wrong folder.
This is something I may be able to fix .. have to figure out how Smiley

Err, no, I'm starting with the daedalus.sh file Smiley

by 3 types you mean normal/burn/light ? ( by the way I should remove "light" blending as it's almost never usefull Smiley )

I was talking about the three smoke textures, but actually I don't even know any other kind of texture which could be useful Cheesy

See my:
Offline DQQAYME

Medals: 1
Projects: 1

« Reply #214 - Posted 2013-05-19 20:49:56 »

I am interesting – you have multiplayer?
Hi works on UDP or TCP
You Create local Lan server or Internet Server,
If Internet
You use P2P or Own server bridge, or simple Own server like host?
Ty Wink

Offline deathpat
« Reply #215 - Posted 2013-05-19 23:51:25 »

Err, no, I'm starting with the daedalus.sh file Smiley

ok that's even weirder then Sad I'm not able to reproduce on my linux. I'll send you a jar in MP with some logs activated to try to figure out what's wrong Wink

I was talking about the three smoke textures, but actually I don't even know any other kind of texture which could be useful Cheesy
There are other textures available, in the emitter click on the texture property ( with the RELOAD button next to it ) to choose the texture to use. The property "texture parts" just underneath is to select what part of the texture is to be used.

I am interesting – you have multiplayer?
Hi works on UDP or TCP
You Create local Lan server or Internet Server,
If Internet
You use P2P or Own server bridge, or simple Own server like host?
Ty Wink

it's full TCP and using kryonet.

The LAN and Internet server actually work exactly the same way. The only difference is that when running an internet server, the server is referenced in a centralized database for other clients to be able to find it, and the ports used are tested to verify that there is no firewall or routing issue.

Then it is a classic model of 1 server with several clients connecting on it. No P2P.

Offline DQQAYME

Medals: 1

« Reply #216 - Posted 2013-05-19 23:58:32 »

Ty, simple looking way to do P2P on java XD
Or maybe I wrong I think 50%+ ppl have routers or firewalls and don’t know how open ports ^^

Offline Exception_e

Senior Newbie

« Reply #217 - Posted 2013-05-23 15:55:37 »

Reading up on the development of this game was so motivating! I want to code now..
Really good job on this, keep up the good work!
Offline phu004

JGO Coder

Medals: 4
Projects: 9
Exp: 10 years

NoSuchPersonException

« Reply #218 - Posted 2013-05-26 09:33:59 »

I have played with the bots for a while. What I can say is that This game is awesome! very polished, good graphic, and addictive indeed  Smiley  I will definitely give it a 9/10.

The only downside is that it requires a real graphic card to play. The computer i have at work  is equipped with a radeon 3450,  it failed to run the game  even though it has an i7 for CPU.
Offline deathpat
« Reply #219 - Posted 2013-05-26 11:44:33 »

@Exception_e : thanks, I'm glad you like it Smiley

The only downside is that it requires a real graphic card to play. The computer i have at work  is equipped with a radeon 3450,  it failed to run the game  even though it has an i7 for CPU.

I'm a bit surprised, I checked the specs of the video card and it's almost the same as one I'm testing on ( radeon 4550 ) Sad Can you please give more details on what happens ? You can't run the game at all ? ( not even the menu ?) Do you have an error message ? Can you check your home folder in .shoot/0.1.4/daedalus.log to see if there is an exception ?
Thanks ! Smiley

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline phu004

JGO Coder

NoSuchPersonException

« Reply #220 - Posted 2013-05-26 22:50:08 »

Can you please give more details on what happens ? You can't run the game at all ? ( not even the menu ?) Do you have an error message ? Can you check your home folder in .shoot/0.1.4/daedalus.log to see if there is an exception ?

Nothing happened at all when I clicked daedalus.exe. You can find the exception message below. However it works like a charm on my home pc which has a GTX580.

java.lang.RuntimeException: org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Pixel format not accelerated
   at com.deathpat.shoot.b.b.g.a(WindowManager.java:128)
   at com.deathpat.shoot.b.a.d(Engine.java:219)
   at com.deathpat.shoot.d.d(GameEngine.java:56)
   at com.deathpat.shoot.b.a.fe(Engine.java:178)
   at com.deathpat.shoot.Daedalus.<init>(Daedalus.java:54)
   at com.deathpat.shoot.Daedalus.main(Daedalus.java:38)
Caused by: org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Pixel format not accelerated
   at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPbufferPeerInfo.nCreate(Native Method)
   at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPbufferPeerInfo.<init>(WindowsPbufferPeerInfo.java:47)
   at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsDisplay.createPbuffer(WindowsDisplay.java:718)
   at org.lwjgl.opengl.Pbuffer.createPbuffer(Pbuffer.java:234)
   at org.lwjgl.opengl.Pbuffer.<init>(Pbuffer.java:219)
   at org.lwjgl.opengl.Pbuffer.<init>(Pbuffer.java:190)
   at org.lwjgl.opengl.Pbuffer.<init>(Pbuffer.java:166)
   at com.deathpat.shoot.b.b.g.a(WindowManager.java:111)
   ... 5 more
Offline phu004

JGO Coder

NoSuchPersonException

« Reply #221 - Posted 2013-05-26 23:09:38 »

Ok, It turned out to be a opengl driver  issue. After I have installed the latest ati driver from AMD, the game runs flawlessly Grin
Offline deathpat
« Reply #222 - Posted 2013-05-30 00:20:50 »

Ok, It turned out to be a opengl driver  issue. After I have installed the latest ati driver from AMD, the game runs flawlessly Grin

cool, that's the way I like issues to be solved ... without any work from me Smiley

Offline wreed12345

JGO Knight

Medals: 24
Projects: 2
Exp: 2 years

http://linebylinecoding.blogspot.com/

« Reply #223 - Posted 2013-06-06 23:24:07 »

this game is amazing! Well done gameplay was very enjoyable

Offline deathpat
« Reply #224 - Posted 2013-07-05 12:09:09 »

thanks wreed12345, I'm glad you like it Wink

Here's a small update: I implemented a greyscale fog of war with a cool smooth transition between the fog of war and the visible map:

cheers

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 369
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #225 - Posted 2013-07-05 12:13:23 »

That looks even more lovely now!

Cas Smiley

Offline Herjan
« Reply #226 - Posted 2013-07-06 13:34:19 »

So freakin awesome!

Very cool gameplay, Im gonna search my Steam acc and vote yes Cheesy

But 1 question...

Will you please make an option (by controls or so) that when you play classic mode (with the other mode I get headaches) you can set off/on the moving screen while rotating... (Its really annoying, gives me more headaches and Im better without)

Isn't it called dynamic screen in official terms?

Thanks for this great experience!

And I hope you will become a millionaire with this, so you can keep making games forever!

And last but not least, the graphics are stunning!

Offline deathpat
« Reply #227 - Posted 2013-07-06 22:56:46 »

@princec: thanks, I think it's getting real close to the awesomeness of droid assault now Wink

@Herjan: I have no idea about an official name but I think I understand what you mean ... and in fact I already implemented it some time ago ( it's just not included in 0.2.1 Smiley ). It's another control mode ( so 3 in total ) based on the classic one except that the player is always centered in the screen. Is it what you mean ?

Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

Medals: 246
Projects: 11
Exp: 2 years

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #228 - Posted 2013-07-06 23:09:50 »

Upvoted on Steam. Pointing

This is an amazing game.
I can't believe I haven't tried it before now.

Offline Longarmx
« Reply #229 - Posted 2013-07-06 23:32:59 »

This game gets so much better every update! This was one of the first projects that I saw on this site and I am so happy that you continued to work on it. In fact, you were one of the big motivations in my early development when you said you had only started OpenGL a couple months prior! Thanks for the wonderful game.

Offline Bonev

Senior Newbie

« Reply #230 - Posted 2013-07-07 19:31:29 »

Amazing game, upvoted on Greenlight and would love to see it on Steam.
Offline deathpat
« Reply #231 - Posted 2013-07-12 19:58:16 »

cool, thanks guys Wink

another small update, I implemented a kind of fake 2d ambient occlusion, here's the result :
(click for hires images)
WITHOUT:

WITH:

here's the light map:

Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

Medals: 202

« Reply #232 - Posted 2013-07-12 21:13:29 »

Definitely have to zoom the two shots to tell the difference.  Seriously purty-looking either way Smiley
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #233 - Posted 2013-07-13 04:47:52 »

I'm kinda lost in following this game and suddenly it has different interface. Where is the newest DL link? Smiley

Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

« Reply #234 - Posted 2013-07-13 11:46:45 »

Definitely have to zoom the two shots to tell the difference.  Seriously purty-looking either way Smiley

Look at the boxes in the hallway.

In the first screenshot they kind of look flat, but in the second screen they have depth Wink

See my:
Offline deathpat
« Reply #235 - Posted 2013-07-14 12:08:25 »

Look at the boxes in the hallway.

In the first screenshot they kind of look flat, but in the second screen they have depth Wink

yes you're right, in fact the effect is not very noticeable but it helps to have the walls and obstacles to pop up and be more easily identifiable as obstacles. Smiley This can be toggled in the options, so it's easier to see the actual difference in game Wink

I'm kinda lost in following this game and suddenly it has different interface. Where is the newest DL link? Smiley

Here's a link to the latest jar :
http://www.daedalus-thegame.com/download/0.2.3/daedalus-0.2.3.jar

it includes:
- the greyscale fog of war and ambient occlusion (you can toggle them in the graphics options, they are activated by default).
- I also completely eliminated memory leaks I had ( a headless server was out of memory after running 2/3 days ... now I have one running for 2 weeks without any growth in memory Smiley )
- reduced bandwidth usage of the server
- changed the player position update in network so that it appears less laggy. The game is now playable with a ping of 100ms. With a ping of 50ms it is almost like in a lan.
- new control mode "centered" with the player always in the center of the screen and a fixed angle camera. I don't really recommend it as you have a reduced visibility compared to the bots and to the players using the two other modes ... but anyway Smiley

Offline dime26

Medals: 2
Exp: 5 years

Should traffic wardens be armed?

« Reply #236 - Posted 2013-07-23 21:22:12 »

Cool game but couldn't get on with the controls, looks very nice but would like to see mouse cursor and be able to move aim quicker, turn 180 by moving mouse over the player.

If I could unlock the cursor I would play this for sure.

Offline deathpat
« Reply #237 - Posted 2013-07-23 22:13:51 »

Cool game but couldn't get on with the controls, looks very nice but would like to see mouse cursor and be able to move aim quicker, turn 180 by moving mouse over the player.

Have you tried the different control modes that you can activate in options -> controls ?

Offline dime26

« Reply #238 - Posted 2013-07-25 14:00:50 »

Thanks I will try that now, was very impressed with the menus but too much of an idiot to check for alt controls!
Offline dime26

« Reply #239 - Posted 2013-07-25 14:06:34 »

Have you tried the different control modes that you can activate in options -> controls ?

Yes! Thats just what I wanted! This is going to be played at next personal lan
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
  ignore  |  Print  

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Nickropheliac (16 views)
2014-08-31 22:59:12

TehJavaDev (24 views)
2014-08-28 18:26:30

CopyableCougar4 (33 views)
2014-08-22 19:31:30

atombrot (42 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (41 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (35 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (26 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (37 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (73 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (49 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org