so here is a new version of Daedalus ! what's new ?
- the map editor: this is the main feature I've been working on during the last month. It's 90% finished. What is missing here is an inapp help, because there are quite a lot of keyboard shorcuts that need to be documented somewhere ... and a few things ( like deleting a brush or a map, missing icons ... )
- new control mode with a fixed camera
- map objects
- casted shadows
- particle systems that can be created in the map editor
- a bit of animation on map objects ( mostly blinking and rotating )
- enhancements on bots weapon selection
- optional green blood (in options -> player) if you can't stand red blood
- all sounds are now custom made ( no more using Quake 3 ones )
- new option panel for sound ( global, sfx, music volume ... )
- one new ingame music track
- replaced truetype fonts by bitmap fonts .. ( to be able to have effects like shadows, outline ... )
- windows, linux and macosx dedicated packages with bundled JREDownloadJAR fileWindows packageLinux 32bit packageLinux 64bit packageMac OSX package
I tested the mac package on a virtualbox but was not able to really run the game because opengl was not working .. so if you test with a mac please tell me if it works or not The editor
- how to run it ?
- using the jar, run java -jar daedalus-0.2.1.jar -editor
- windows and linux bundles have dedicated exe/sh
- for mac, you have to go inside the package in Contents/MacOS, and run editor.sh with a terminal ... I can't find a better solution to run it ( because there are two executable in the same package, the main one being daedalus.sh ) so if someone has an idea, please tell me
- where are stored the maps ?
They are stored at the same level of the application in res/maps if you have the write permission in the folder, otherwise in your home folder under .shoot/res/maps
- how to use a map in the game ?
Once the map is saved, just run the game, your map will appear in the list of available maps. There are no checks in place yet in the map editor to know if the map is valid, so you might be rejected ( or have the game crashed ) when trying to load it
To have a valid map, ensure that you have at least one reachable respawn point, that the map is closed with walls, and that you don't have pickable elements in unreachable areas
- keyboard shortcuts ??
yes .. there are keyboeard/mouse shortcuts in the editor, here they are :
- there is a creation and selection/modification mode, you can switch between these modes using the toolbar icons (cross and pointer) or the right mouse click
- to scroll the map use space bar + left mouse click, to zoom the map use space bar + mouse wheel
- in creation mode for floor and walls, left Ctrl + left mouse click to delete things, in selection mode ( all brushes ) left Ctrl + left mouse click to move things
- depending in the current brush type, you can use the keyboard arrows as shorcuts to modify brush properties. Most of the time, left/right are used to rotate. Up/down is used for changing the intensity of a light.
- with the light brush, use the mouse wheel to change the radiushttp://www.youtube.com/v/HikAlM2-5C8?version=3&hl=en_US&start=
I think that's enough
I will surely write some tutorials on this later ..
EDIT: don't spend too much time making maps as I can't guarantee that the maps done with this release will be compatible with future releases