Games in Android Showcase (114)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (563)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
  ignore  |  Print  
  Daedalus - no escape  (Read 58115 times)
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #90 - Posted 2012-09-07 02:15:09 »

@ReBirth:
- remembering the last weapon will certainly become useless after the weapon/ammo system will be finished as you will loose almost all your weapons on respawn Smiley
- yes why not for flashlight default on Smiley Keep in mind that the bots are aware of the light level ... so you can hide in the dark ... unless you have your flashlight on Wink
- for the campaign, maybe I'll do something like a sequence of challenges versus bots on different maps ... for sure I will not do a classic solo game ( with a scenario and so on ... ), it would be too much work for me Smiley
(bold) Then I did it wrong all this time Grin

no need scenario, I mean just a challenge with bots and you can post your score online (leaderboard). I think it's good move because no guarantee the server will always populated all time (except you have gained same popularity as WoW), keeping players get back to your game even no one online.

Offline deathpat
« Reply #91 - Posted 2012-09-07 14:50:13 »

here's a minor update:
http://www.daedalus-thegame.com/download/daedalus-0.1.8.jar

it includes :
- crosshair, the crosshair + tail can be enabled/disabled in the player options ( main menu or in game menu). It is enabled by default
- bots react when they are shot ( in the back Smiley )
- bots react to shooting sounds

My only gripe which is a personal one would be the camera. I cannot play for longer then 5 minutes before getting sick because the whole screen rotates with the camera. It would not be as bad if the guy was more centered and not like at the edge. I know that you want people to be able to sneak up behind you without knowing but I just can't stand it. I don't think others are like me so no need to really give it much thought but maybe have some options on how the camera works. Other then that, everything looks great. Keep up the work.  Grin

Yes I'm well aware of that, I have a friend who feels the same as you Wink . The problem is that I want to keep the actual gameplay ( that's the initial idea of the game, and that's what makes it different from other ones ... ), and I fear that if I introduce an alternate gameplay ( like the player centered in the screen, no screen rotation, and a mouse cursor to aim and shoot ... a bit like Alien swarm ), it may be easier than the original one .. and so it may not be fair if two players using the two different gameplays play together Sad So I'm a bit stuck with this.
Maybe I should provide a vomit bag with the game ? Cheesy

no need scenario, I mean just a challenge with bots and you can post your score online (leaderboard). I think it's good move because no guarantee the server will always populated all time (except you have gained same popularity as WoW), keeping players get back to your game even no one online.

I like the idea of online score a lot ! thanks for the suggestion. The score could depend on the time to finish the map, the rank, the bot level, and maybe special things like direct hit with a rocket, rail gun hits, double kills ... hmmm good Smiley Definitely a good idea !

EDIT:
here's a screenshot of the crosshair:

The crosshair moves along a vertical axis to show the impact point ( on a wall or a player ). It becomes more transparent when closer to the player. It is displayed in red when aiming another player. Smiley

work in progress : D A E D A L U S
Offline Tim Spekler
« Reply #92 - Posted 2012-09-07 17:58:51 »

I like your crosshair. It feels really better to play with it. I 've got the feeling that the sniper rifle may be a too much powerful weapon now, because it kills in one shot, is really precise and can be used at any distance (even if it makes time to reload)...
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Sickan

Medals: 9

« Reply #93 - Posted 2012-09-07 18:23:22 »

I like your crosshair. It feels really better to play with it. I 've got the feeling that the sniper rifle may be a too much powerful weapon now, because it kills in one shot, is really precise and can be used at any distance (even if it makes time to reload)...
Just make it reload a hell lot slower so that you can't use it for direct combat
Offline StumpyStrust
« Reply #94 - Posted 2012-09-07 22:00:02 »

The way you do the players vision, you know how they can't see around corners in halls and stuff, use the same thing but make it so players can't see say 5 feet behind their guy but the guy is more centered in the screen. That way we can still go snukin around. That is the only thing I can think of.

Oh it needs stealth mode and maybe some other fun power ups like deploable turrets, shields, trip mines, and spike pits. Make portals that go to other locations that you can fire at and have the bullets go through as well. Doors that you need to click buttons to open. Air locks that when open suck things out. Maybe different floors by using elevators that just "teleporting" the player to the next lvl/map. Man I could go on but I will stop.

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #95 - Posted 2012-09-08 12:05:34 »

@deathpat
Actually that's my egoist idea, because I live in outer world when nobody online as I am, but I believe I'm no the one Smiley Glad you like it.

Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

Medals: 202

« Reply #96 - Posted 2012-09-08 15:14:43 »

Ooh, stealth mode, there's a possible alternative to the flashlight: infrared goggles.  Render enemies as glowing thermal blobs, lots of bloom.
Offline deathpat
« Reply #97 - Posted 2012-09-10 15:52:32 »

@Tim Spekler & Sickan :
the rail gun actually kills in one shot only if you play versus bots in easy or medium because they have respectively 60 and 75 base health and the rail gun is causing 80 points of damage. Versus humans or hard/insane bots, one shot is not enough Wink Moreover this will also change when I will introduce armors, even an easy bot with an armor will not be killed with one rail gun shot. I will review the weapons balance after all power ups ( and maybe new weapons ... ) will be implemented. And for sure playing on the reload time is a way to change the balance Smiley

@StumpyStrust :
hehe that's a lot of ideas Smiley I will start to finish implementing the basics ( pickup weapons + classic bonuses like damage multiplicator, armors and so on ... ) to see if the gameplay is still good, and then I'll advise. I fear that if I add too much, it would be too complicated/messy to play .. to see.
For the different floors via teleporters, thanks I take note, this should be quite easy to do Smiley

@sproingie :
yep infrared red goggles was something I already had in mind ... I have to think about how to achieve this effect, it may not be easy to have it nice.

Offline deathpat
« Reply #98 - Posted 2012-09-25 11:43:34 »

Hi,

Here is a screenshot that shows some progress :
- pickable weapon items ( here shotgun in yellow and big mama in blue ... )
- ammo management
- new hud for weapon selection/status which shows available weapons + the ammo level of each weapon
- bots are now able to seek weapons and health when needed ( .. ok this doesn't show on the screenshot Smiley )
- .. and that's all Smiley

cheers

Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

Medals: 107
Projects: 3

You think about my Avatar right now!

« Reply #99 - Posted 2012-09-25 12:26:49 »

One feature I'd really love right now:
Make any resolution being pickable, if you are playing in windowed mode. I can hardly play fullscreen, cause it's awful (you know, these linux problems with 2 monitors...) and in windowed mode I can't see the hud...

See my:
    My development Blog:     | Or look at my RPG | Or simply my coding
http://matheusdev.tumblr.comRuins of Revenge  |      On Github
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline deathpat
« Reply #100 - Posted 2012-09-25 12:48:03 »

One feature I'd really love right now:
Make any resolution being pickable, if you are playing in windowed mode. I can hardly play fullscreen, cause it's awful (you know, these linux problems with 2 monitors...) and in windowed mode I can't see the hud...

For sure I can do this : I will hardcode a set of "standard" resolutions that will be added to the available fullscreen resolutions in case windowed mode is selected. It's quite easy so it will be done for the next demo Wink

Offline StumpyStrust
« Reply #101 - Posted 2012-09-25 16:34:07 »

if you don't mind me asking, how exactly are you managing particles, sprite rendering, UI and all that stuff.

Do you use swing?

Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

Medals: 202

« Reply #102 - Posted 2012-09-25 16:58:36 »

If you peek at the little icon in the upper left of the window you'll see he's using LWJGL.  Custom code from scratch I think.
Offline deathpat
« Reply #103 - Posted 2012-09-25 19:58:06 »

if you don't mind me asking, how exactly are you managing particles, sprite rendering, UI and all that stuff.
Do you use swing?

sproingie is right, this is all custom code Smiley

Particles + sprites are rendered the same way with a render batch mecanism:
sprites are registered in a RenderManager which contains RenderLayers. Each layer has a set of RenderBatches which contains the sprites. When a Sprite is registered in the RenderManager, it is placed in the appropriate RenderBatch depending on its texture, blending mode, Z index and so on ...
Then the layers are rendered from bottom to top, and each RenderBatch is rendered with a VBO using indices. The VBO is updated only if needed (when a sprite moves, changes color ...). Each frame, the indices are updated depending on the active Sprites.
The floor is rendered a bit differently using multitexturing and VBOs that are never updated, but it integrates in the same RenderLayer/RenderBatch mecanism.

The text is rendered using a modified slick-utils TrueTypeFont class.

For the UI (menus, buttons, inputs ...) I did a small widget library based on the Composite pattern ( like all the widget libraries I think ... Smiley ). The rendering is very basic, it uses opengl glBegin glEnd calls ... but this is fast enough so I didn't took the time to optimize it ( and there's a good chance that I never will Smiley )

Offline StumpyStrust
« Reply #104 - Posted 2012-09-25 21:20:59 »

I know it is custom and it uses lwjgl.

I wanted to know how he was doing all the batching and UI because I am working on my own engine stuff.

Right now I got a very fast dynamic sprite batcher that just uses VA. I am still not sure on how I want to do layering/z depth stuff.

And well UI is scary

I wanted to use display lists for UI and background stuff.

How fast is your batching?

Offline deathpat
« Reply #105 - Posted 2012-09-25 23:55:37 »

I just did a quick test, I get 60 fps with 25000 sprites with the same texture spreaded randomly in 4 layers (meaning 4 render batches).
My laptop is an intel core I7 2630QM with a GTX 260M. The sprite was 40x40, transparent, bouncing on the screen borders and the screen resolution was 1920x1080.

I don't know where is the bottleneck here, for sure not the fill rate as I have the same FPS with a 60x60 sprite ... Smiley

I don't know if this is fast or not but this is fast enough for my game as I hardly have more than 3000 sprites displayed at the same time Smiley

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #106 - Posted 2012-09-26 03:52:58 »

Can't wait for the update link Grin

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 378
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #107 - Posted 2012-09-26 09:11:06 »

I just did a quick test, I get 60 fps with 25000 sprites with the same texture spreaded randomly in 4 layers (meaning 4 render batches).
My laptop is an intel core I7 2630QM with a GTX 260M. The sprite was 40x40, transparent, bouncing on the screen borders and the screen resolution was 1920x1080.

I don't know where is the bottleneck here, for sure not the fill rate as I have the same FPS with a 60x60 sprite ... Smiley

I don't know if this is fast or not but this is fast enough for my game as I hardly have more than 3000 sprites displayed at the same time Smiley
These are almost exactly the same figures and specs I get in my "engine" so it's good to know that I'm not trivially doing something stupid to make it slower!

Cas Smiley

Offline StumpyStrust
« Reply #108 - Posted 2012-09-26 15:27:08 »

Yeah on my desktop it gets cpu limited at around 120k+ sprites at smaller sizes and rarely gets fillrate limited.

My laptop on the other hand uses nvidia's shitty ass optimus tech which never uses the gpu ever! So I get to test everything on integrated graphics and the biggest bottle neck is being fill rate limited. Get 18-20fps at the same test you did. So I guess only thing I need to worry about is being fillrate limited.

Funny how most laptops cpus can handle quite a bit now but have such crappy gpus that it would almost be faster using some sort of software rendering.

Offline deathpat
« Reply #109 - Posted 2012-09-27 08:06:20 »

oups, my mistake, my GPU is not a GTX 260M but a GTX 560M .. which is quite a good GPU Smiley

... but anyway it's obvious that I'm CPU limited ... I did a quick profiling, and it seems that I spend most of the time in matrix transformations ( here I do a rotate and translate for each sprite ) ... so I don't know how I can optimize this ...

Offline Grunnt

JGO Wizard

Medals: 68
Projects: 8
Exp: 5 years

Complex != complicated

« Reply #110 - Posted 2012-10-12 07:49:16 »

It's looking really good, and runs smoothly here. Great work! It's got some nice creepy atmosphere. I guess some sort of single-player / story mode could have good potential as well (though the multiplayer / vs bots mode is a blast as well). Good luck working on this!

And consider making a paid version once you got it a bit further, it's that good Wink

Offline Pickleninja

JGO Coder

Medals: 10
Projects: 1

I'm tired of working for someone else.

« Reply #111 - Posted 2012-10-12 12:54:12 »

The game looks awesome! Great work man Smiley

-Pickle

Offline Regenuluz
« Reply #112 - Posted 2012-10-12 13:12:03 »

Wont run for me. Sad (On a Mac)

Regenuluz@Medusa ~/Downloads $ java -jar daedalus-0.1.8.jar 
[launcher] - terminate (true)

Java version:
Regenuluz@Medusa ~/Downloads $ java -version
java version "1.7.0_04"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_04-b21)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.0-b21, mixed mode)

Graphics card -> Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
Offline deathpat
« Reply #113 - Posted 2012-10-12 13:20:24 »

@Grunnt and Pickleninja : thanks for your comment Wink

@Regenuluz : can you please tell me if a file .shoot/0.1.4/err.log has been created in your home folder and copy paste the content here if it is the case ? Thanks Wink

Offline Regenuluz
« Reply #114 - Posted 2012-10-12 13:46:49 »

Geez, you're poluting my home dir! xD

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Cannot change display mode
        at com.deathpat.shoot.engine.display.WindowManager.init(WindowManager.java:69)
        at com.deathpat.shoot.engine.Engine.initElements(Engine.java:122)
        at com.deathpat.shoot.GameEngine.initElements(GameEngine.java:29)
        at com.deathpat.shoot.engine.Engine.init(Engine.java:89)
        at com.deathpat.shoot.Daedalus.<init>(Daedalus.java:38)
        at com.deathpat.shoot.Daedalus.main(Daedalus.java:29)
Caused by: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Cannot change display mode
        at java.awt.GraphicsDevice.setDisplayMode(GraphicsDevice.java:421)
        at org.lwjgl.opengl.MacOSXFrame$1.run(MacOSXFrame.java:84)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at org.lwjgl.opengl.MacOSXFrame.<init>(MacOSXFrame.java:81)
        at org.lwjgl.opengl.MacOSXDisplay.createWindow(MacOSXDisplay.java:105)
        at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.createWindow(Display.java:303)
        at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:845)
        at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:754)
        at com.deathpat.shoot.engine.display.WindowManager.init(WindowManager.java:65)
        ... 5 more
Offline deathpat
« Reply #115 - Posted 2012-10-13 12:35:23 »

lol sorry for poluting your home dir ! But I have to save the user preferences somewhere Smiley

About your issue, I've read on different forums that there is currently a problem with the LWJGL and java 7 on mac ... so I'm afraid I can't do anything for you, we need to wait for a fix in LWJGL.
The only workaround now would be to launch the game with java 6.

Offline Regenuluz
« Reply #116 - Posted 2012-10-13 13:10:13 »

lol sorry for poluting your home dir ! But I have to save the user preferences somewhere Smiley

haha, no problem Tongue I'd most likely do the same thing xD But yeah, I've heard something about lwjgl being broke on osx+java7. Smiley
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 378
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #117 - Posted 2012-10-13 13:23:53 »

Yes, Java 7 broke it, and the fix is not easy. Apparently there is someone working on it on behalf of Mojang but we've not had any concrete news for a couple of weeks.

Cas Smiley

Offline deathpat
« Reply #118 - Posted 2012-10-13 14:01:32 »

Thanks for the update Cas Wink

I've found the thread talking about it on LWJGL's forum, here it is for those interested :

www.lwjgl.org/forum/index.php/topic,4711.30.html

EDIT : I had to put the url in a code box, otherwise it is transformed into something else ... weird

Offline Vladiedoo
« Reply #119 - Posted 2012-10-13 22:39:17 »

I was playing a match against insane AIs and at the end of the match the score screen revealed that some bots had over 100% accuracy, how is that possible? EDIT: If a single bullet hits multiple people (area of effect) can that cause the accuracy to go over 100%?

Daedalus is great load of fun though!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
  ignore  |  Print  

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

BurntPizza (25 views)
2014-09-19 03:14:18

Dwinin (39 views)
2014-09-12 09:08:26

Norakomi (68 views)
2014-09-10 13:57:51

TehJavaDev (93 views)
2014-09-10 06:39:09

Tekkerue (47 views)
2014-09-09 02:24:56

mitcheeb (68 views)
2014-09-08 06:06:29

BurntPizza (51 views)
2014-09-07 01:13:42

Longarmx (38 views)
2014-09-07 01:12:14

Longarmx (44 views)
2014-09-07 01:11:22

Longarmx (40 views)
2014-09-07 01:10:19
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org