« Reply #240 - Posted 2013-07-26 13:34:16 »

Yes! Thats just what I wanted! This is going to be played at next personal lan

Cool, tell me how it went if you do Wink

work in progress : D A E D A L U S
Offline deathpat
« Reply #241 - Posted 2013-08-04 23:49:29 »

Hi,

some news:
I implemented synchronized (other network) animations on lights, free text on the floor, colored floor ... and I'm currently drawing new elements for the maps. I'm trying to create a nice map and publish a demo on steam soon ... Smiley
Once the demo is done, I plan to work on other game modes, starting with capture the flag.

here are some screenshots :

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #242 - Posted 2013-08-05 00:20:25 »

Damn they look good. If I have time I should learn GL.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Herjan
« Reply #243 - Posted 2013-08-05 08:55:49 »

Once the demo is done, I plan to work on other game modes, starting with capture the flag.

Yeah, it is time for some new modes, after the new modes are done and and the map editor is finished your game is also finished, right?
You must really want to work on something new, after such a loooong project...
And some money for the bills must also be welcome Wink

Offline deathpat
« Reply #244 - Posted 2013-08-08 16:23:08 »

Yeah, it is time for some new modes, after the new modes are done and and the map editor is finished your game is also finished, right?
You must really want to work on something new, after such a loooong project...
And some money for the bills must also be welcome Wink

After this in term of code, I'll have to implement bonuses, management of the multiplayer game session ingame ( change maps, add/remove bots, kick players ... ), and a website to present/sell it Smiley I may also have to work on a minimal UI for dedicated servers ...
But then I 'll have to provide some content: maps, art ( lots of sprites to put in the maps ) and more music tracks as well.

For sure I'm looking forward to have everything finished, I'm not sure I will do another game after this ... at least not a multiplayer one as it complexify and limitates a  looooooot of things Smiley

And for the money I have a day job so I'm alright with the bills ... but if I can make something out of this game I will not say no Cheesy

Damn they look good. If I have time I should learn GL.

You should learn openGL !! Smiley OpenGL is really cool, I don't regret at all my choice.

Offline Slyth2727
« Reply #245 - Posted 2013-08-08 19:24:44 »

It's really extraordinary what you have done with this! Smiley I was wondering however, how do you create your textures for it? They really look beautiful!

Was I before Chuang Tzu who dreamt about being a butterfly, or am I now a butterfly who dreams about being Chuang Tzu?
Offline deathpat
« Reply #246 - Posted 2013-08-11 09:52:11 »

It's really extraordinary what you have done with this! Smiley I was wondering however, how do you create your textures for it? They really look beautiful!

Thanks !
I create all the sprites using 3dsmax and/or photoshop. There's not much to tell here, I just draw the textures using my drawing tablet or the mouse Smiley I used to draw a lot some years ago, so I know quite well the tools ( check my old website for very old drawings .. Smiley ) 3dsMax helps a lot to have nice and accurate precalculated shadows for the objects.

Offline Slyth2727
« Reply #247 - Posted 2013-08-14 04:51:15 »

Awesome, thanks! You've inspired me to make my own top down shooter so hopefully a pre-alpha stage will be up here in a week or so. Good luck on the greenlight, I voted for you!

Was I before Chuang Tzu who dreamt about being a butterfly, or am I now a butterfly who dreams about being Chuang Tzu?
Offline deathpat
« Reply #248 - Posted 2013-08-14 12:43:51 »

@Slyth2727: cool thanks for your vote Wink

For those interested, I've created a soundcloud page with the music tracks of the game, I'll update it each time I will create a new track Smiley
Here it is :
https://soundcloud.com/deathpat

cheers

Offline deathpat
« Reply #249 - Posted 2013-10-06 14:35:17 »

Hi !

for information I've put up a little website for the game here:
http://www.daedalus-thegame.com/

There is also an alpha demo available on the site, it has less features than the builds I've posted here so far, but I rented a dedicated server in france to host 8 instances of the game so you can play the demo on internet Smiley

cheers

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline TheSpaceHedgehog

Senior Newbie

Projects: 1

Space is the place!

« Reply #250 - Posted 2013-10-06 23:36:44 »

Goodness me! 69 MB  Shocked

According to Chrome it's "dangerous". But don't worry what chrome says!  Pointing

Anyway, it looks fantastic. Absolutely spectacular! I really can't wait to see this on Steam!  Grin

It worked on my PC, which is an Acer Aspire Windows 7 Home Premium with an NVIDIA card.

Exception - A game like Limbo
Offline deathpat
« Reply #251 - Posted 2014-01-11 00:17:14 »

Hi there!

I just saw that Daedalus has been moved to the featured section, thanks !! Smiley

I take this opportunity to show you the latest trailer I made this week showing some new features of the game (destroyable elements in the maps, kill combos, kill messages ...), I hope you'll like it

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/OkhBa0vtSx4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/OkhBa0vtSx4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>

Sorry for not being as active here as I would like to, but I was REAAAAALLY busy during the last months ... and I still am Smiley

cheers

Offline Axeman

Medals: 7

« Reply #252 - Posted 2014-01-11 12:45:53 »

First of all: It looks great! I´m looking forward to play it! With the praise out of the way I have two suggestions:

First, I think you should add some interpolation to the camera movement so it´s a bit smoother. When the camera just follow the players movement it looks a little bit stiff. I think it´s one of those details that makes it a bit more polished.

Second, the "line of sight" shadows looks a bit rough. I get that it´s maybe a gameplay mechanic when they appear out of nowhere, but when they have been spotted perhaps they should blend into the shadows a bit smoother instead of just disappearing again.

Oh, and a question: Can you strafe?

That´s all from me. I hope you appreciate my suggestions. Great looking game! Smiley
Offline Longarmx
« Reply #253 - Posted 2014-01-11 16:36:40 »

I love the destroy-able elements! It makes for some fun ideas like traps Wink

First, I think you should add some interpolation to the camera movement so it´s a bit smoother.
Oh, and a question: Can you strafe?

To give some insight to your first suggestion, the camera movement is controlled by your mouse. Take a look at any first person game. The camera always goes right where you want it to instantly so you don't have to wait for it to catch up.
To answer your second question, yes.

I think this would make a lot more sense if you played the demo (link on the first post), and I think you would have a lot of fun with it   Cheesy

Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

Medals: 106
Projects: 3

You think about my Avatar right now!

« Reply #254 - Posted 2014-01-11 17:20:29 »

Wohoo still love the game! Smiley

Don't mind me, I'm just sharing my score Cheesy (it's against bots tho, so yeah...):

(2nd round went worse, but still okay)

I bet you can do better, but whatever Tongue

See my:
    My development Blog:     | Or look at my RPG | Or simply my coding
http://matheusdev.tumblr.comRuins of Revenge  |      On Github
Offline Rickmeister

Medals: 9
Projects: 1
Exp: 15 years

Don't eat yellow snow!

« Reply #255 - Posted 2014-01-11 23:47:41 »

Kudos to you for sticking with this massive project for such a long time Smiley

I've played it a few times, and even if it's not really my type of game I'm impressed. Voted for you on Greenlight, hope you make it there! (That means I'll buy it, I buy anything on Steam that I can track back to JGO Smiley )
Offline deathpat
« Reply #256 - Posted 2014-05-19 00:31:47 »

Hello !

I'm happy to announce that a new beta demo is now available !
You can grab it here :

http://daedalus-thegame.com/download.php

And here's the new trailer that comes with it:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/MRtPOh6V-fU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/MRtPOh6V-fU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>

@Rickmeister: thanks for your vote and your support Wink

@matheus23: I hope you will like the new demo, you should try the new solo/highscore mode Wink

cheers

Offline Longarmx
« Reply #257 - Posted 2014-05-19 04:07:29 »

This is very cool progress! I love how far this game has come.

Edit: I just played it and it is (somehow) so much cooler than the last update! Playing with 11 bots on medium is crazy with the destructible objects! Grin

Offline deathpat
« Reply #258 - Posted 2014-05-28 19:46:05 »

Hey,

just passing by to announce that Daedalus has just been greenlit !

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=143234929

It's really sooooo cool Smiley
Thanks a lot to all the JGO community, you've been really helpful during the dev and I'm not sure I could have finished this game without you!

THANKS !

Offline saucymeatman
« Reply #259 - Posted 2014-05-28 19:47:24 »

Congratulations!
Be sure to let us know how well it does on the store.
Offline Longarmx
« Reply #260 - Posted 2014-05-28 21:46:30 »

Congratulations! This game definetly deserves it!

Online princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 364
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #261 - Posted 2014-05-29 10:10:23 »

Well done Smiley May the sales be with you!

Cas Smiley

Offline deathpat
« Reply #262 - Posted 2014-05-31 23:37:37 »

Thanks guys!

@prinsec: I will finally be able to test the blind coding I did with your steampuppy jar! I'll tell you if I have some trouble with it, thanks again by the way Wink

Otherwise I'm considering putting the game into early access on steam, what do you think about this ?
For me it would be a way to bring attention uppon the game and find bugs before release ... not sure though ...

And here is a small video just for fun Smiley

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NmHpuZ3TMq8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/NmHpuZ3TMq8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>

Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 345
Projects: 2
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #263 - Posted 2014-06-01 19:10:43 »

Dude, I've seen this game grow from a small alpha that I really enjoyed to a full fledged game that is greenlit on Steam! I am very impressed with the amount of work and effort you've put into this! Good luck and (as Cas nicely said) may the sales be with you Smiley

Online princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 364
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #264 - Posted 2014-06-02 08:56:44 »

At this point in time I'd say... Early Access is basically your "launch event". If you subsequently launch it on Steam when it's "finished" it won't make so much of an impact. The prevailing winds tell me that unless you're desperate for cash right now, just spend another month polishing and do a proper release.

Cas Smiley

Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #265 - Posted 2014-06-02 18:10:52 »

Congrats!
It looks really slick and good fun, so you'll have a sale from me at least Smiley

Offline deathpat
« Reply #266 - Posted 2014-06-03 20:31:47 »

Thanks guys Smiley

@princec: this is some wise advice that I will follow Smiley

cheers

Offline Herjan
« Reply #267 - Posted 2014-06-04 13:50:26 »

Pretty awesome, on steam! Maybe it's worth porting it to PS like Titan Attacks? Smiley

If I may ask a little question, how have you done the server-client stuff?
You said it was horrible (because of the restrictions) so I suppose you didn't just send the input from clients -> server -> all clients (and synchronized it by handling this input at the same tick on all clients)

Offline deathpat
« Reply #268 - Posted 2014-06-08 01:08:32 »

Pretty awesome, on steam! Maybe it's worth porting it to PS like Titan Attacks? Smiley

If I may ask a little question, how have you done the server-client stuff?
You said it was horrible (because of the restrictions) so I suppose you didn't just send the input from clients -> server -> all clients (and synchronized it by handling this input at the same tick on all clients)

thanks Wink

for the client-server, I don't send the inputs but directly the player positions. I was not able to do the input stuff as in CS for two main reasons:
- I can't rollback the physics simulation with box2d
- box2d is float based so even if I could rollback I'm never sure that the simulation done on the server would be the same as the one done on client side.

So basically I'm not sending inputs because I use box2d Smiley

The way it works now for the player movement:
- the client and server synchronize their clock when connecting
- when the client moves, it directly impacts the player position in local (no wait for server validation)
- the client send his position + linearspeed + orientation + angular speed to the server 30 times per second
- the server gets the message, and update the player position based on the position received + speed (taking into account the delay to get the message)
- the server is then sending if necessary all the player positions to all the players 20 times per second (dedicated servers can adjust this value if needed / enough bandwidth)
- the client update each player position the same way as the server (taking into account the delay) except that the position is not directly affected but there is some interpolation done to avoid as much as possible weird player teleporting Smiley
- between two updates, the clients and server continue to move the player according to the linear and angular speed ...

And when firing a bullet:
- the client fires the bullet in local and sends a message to the server
- the server validates that the client can fire a bullet, then fires the bullet taking into account the delay between the server and client.
So basically the bullet will be fired on the same position as on the client, but is accelerated at the beginning to keep sync with the client.
- after firing the bullet, the server send to all the other clients the same fire message
- the clients fire the bullet, applying the same mechanism as the server.

So for the bullets, that's pretty accurate. But for the player movement it's less because of the unpredictability of the movements Smiley

With this, the server needs a bandwidth of about 144 kbytes/s for 16 players.

I said it was horrible also to synchronize game states, all the entities and so on. And also it's limiting in term of visual effects.
In a single player game it's not an issue if for exemple an explosion effect goes through walls (it's quite common ...), as you don't see behind the wall Smiley
But here as there may be another player behind the wall, all the effects should be well contained to avoid breaking the purpose of the fog of war.
So this is very limiting ... in a single player game I could do way better effects with tons of particles and big plasma waves and so on ... without worrying about collisions with the environment ...

Offline Herjan
« Reply #269 - Posted 2014-06-30 20:03:38 »

for the client-server, I don't send the inputs but directly the player positions. I was not able to do the input stuff as in CS for two main reasons:
- I can't rollback the physics simulation with box2d
- box2d is float based so even if I could rollback I'm never sure that the simulation done on the server would be the same as the one done on client side.

So basically I'm not sending inputs because I use box2d Smiley

This is really funny, I have been dedicating the past 3 weeks to synchronize all clients and it succeeded (with the super unfriendly (in respect of networking) library box2d).

• Actually I was convinced that a rollback with the box2d (world-class) was impossible as well, I asked on multiple forums how to fix this, but nobody was able to give an answer that helped me, but I came up with another way to do it and it even worked.
  • Box2D is indeed float based Undecided, I have done a lot of tests, over the internet with friends, on desktops and mobile phones, and it was perfectly synchronized on all of them, I had to do a few tricks for that though, (even World.render(delta, velocityIterations, positionIterations), renders 2x a delta of 1.0f/60 else than 1x a 1.0f/30).

So basically the bullet will be fired on the same position as on the client, but is accelerated at the beginning to keep sync with the client.
- the clients fire the bullet, applying the same mechanism as the server.

Accelerating the bullet is indeed what you have to do all the time to keep the clients synchronized (I do that with everything). And you hit the nail on the head, the server shouldn't contain any game logic Tongue

It sends 60 updates per second to server (when needed) and the server sends all those updates to all clients, and it is working very fast, even on my 3/4-year-old single-core 600MHz (with super crappy network-card over wifi) HTC Wildfire S.

If you have any interest, you can get this code, a lot of people have been asking me about it, I don't know if I should release it as a (very easy-to-use) library yet (including some methods to roll-back/synchronize your World), but if you want to have it, just ask. If it can make the quality of your game better you have to give it at least a try. Smiley

Edit: I am probably a little bit too late with this to be helpful though Tongue (since your game is almost done)

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
  ignore  |  Print  

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

TehJavaDev (13 views)
2014-08-28 18:26:30

CopyableCougar4 (25 views)
2014-08-22 19:31:30

atombrot (38 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (32 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (32 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (19 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (29 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (66 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (42 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32

BurntPizza (34 views)
2014-08-08 02:01:56
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org