Games in Android Showcase (132)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (601)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  
  runescape private servers - looking for developer  (Read 12339 times)
Offline nethious

Senior Newbie

« Posted 2012-03-15 02:39:58 »

hello, im looking for a developer to help work on a 317 based runescape private server, also looking for unique ideas.

some pictures:

[LINKS IF CANT SEE PICS]
http://screensnapr.com/v/uxuLLj.png
http://screensnapr.com/v/Q98qP0.png
Offline GabrielBailey74
« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-03-15 03:54:32 »

Dude, PLEASE do not bring Runescape to these forums..
go to moparscape.org.
*Cough* Delta.

Offline nethious

Senior Newbie

« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-03-15 04:51:09 »

go to moparscape.org.
*Cough* Delta.
this is a java forum, private servers are written in java, I see no reason why I cant post this here.
I'm doing rsps for profit, theres servers that make alot of money, and i want to get a piece of the pie.
by the way, this is not delta.
and also, moparscape is getting shut down.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline counterp

Senior Devvie

Medals: 11

« Reply #3 - Posted 2012-03-15 04:53:46 »

go to moparscape.org.
*Cough* Delta.
this is a java forum, private servers are written in java, I see no reason why I cant post this here.
I'm doing rsps for profit, theres servers that make alot of money, and i want to get a piece of the pie.

That's illegal
Offline nethious

Senior Newbie

« Reply #4 - Posted 2012-03-15 04:55:54 »

go to moparscape.org.
*Cough* Delta.

That's illegal

the client is illegal, but no one needs to work on that.
Offline GabrielBailey74
« Reply #5 - Posted 2012-03-15 04:57:24 »

That is Illegal, I use to own a rsps.
EliteDemons, pulled in over $400++ in donations, had Jagex send me a 'DMCA', claming they would shut me down for violating their copyrights.
I've been all over Moparscape for a few years, now is when the rsps are bieng brought together by teams yes, but keep it to 'RuneScape Private Server Forums', or if you have a 'JAVA' related question/problem yes, bring it here to the community, don't expect to be (same for mopar) 'spoonfed' a question, but don't come here looking for someone to code for you.  persecutioncomplex
(WOOT 100 posts)

Offline nethious

Senior Newbie

« Reply #6 - Posted 2012-03-15 04:58:41 »

i'm not looking for someone to code for me, im looking for a teamwork type deal, so that i can get up and running quicker.
Offline GabrielBailey74
« Reply #7 - Posted 2012-03-15 05:02:39 »

Well I've programmed rsps for over 4+ years, from 317's to 614's in and out, if you had a Compiling problem yeah, inbox me the problem and I could help you or something.

I came here to get away from all the rsps coding, all that is nothing you've developed or anything you're going to develop with it, I went OFF on moparscape, everything is leeched from Jagex yet people deny it to the max that 'they built it', that's not the case here but, keep it off the forums here pl00x, last thing we need is a 'RuneScape Private Server Section'  Shocked Shocked Shocked
 Cool

Offline nethious

Senior Newbie

« Reply #8 - Posted 2012-03-15 05:19:31 »

Well I've programmed rsps for over 4+ years, from 317's to 614's in and out, if you had a Compiling problem yeah, inbox me the problem and I could help you or something.

I came here to get away from all the rsps coding, all that is nothing you've developed or anything you're going to develop with it, I went OFF on moparscape, everything is leeched from Jagex yet people deny it to the max that 'they built it', that's not the case here but, keep it off the forums here pl00x, last thing we need is a 'RuneScape Private Server Section'  Shocked Shocked Shocked
 Cool
i came here instead of the usual forums because most people on there forums are idiots, was hoping to find someone serious here, but meh, guess no ones interested.
Offline GabrielBailey74
« Reply #9 - Posted 2012-03-15 05:21:37 »

I don't even think on moparscape you can just make a post and say 'DEVELOPER NEEDED', usually 2 to 3 minutes later that threads locked and that poster's bieng watched+moterated..
Because moparscape's going down don't come here and do it  Angry

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline nethious

Senior Newbie

« Reply #10 - Posted 2012-03-15 05:23:39 »

I don't even think on moparscape you can just make a post and say 'DEVELOPER NEEDED', usually 2 to 3 minutes later that threads locked and that poster's bieng watched+moterated..
Because moparscape's going down don't come here and do it  Angry
im not even apart of moparscape, i use rune-server fyi. i am totally unfamiliar with moparscape rules.
Offline theagentd

« JGO Bitwise Duke »

Medals: 365
Projects: 2
Exp: 8 years

« Reply #11 - Posted 2012-03-15 08:50:22 »

Come on guys! This is getting ridiculous.

GabE (NOTE THE 'E', IT'S REALLY IMPORTANT): Just leave this thread alone if you want it dead. Don't be so aggressive... >_>

I think the real problem here is the questionable legality of RS private servers. From what I can tell, a private server is legal to create, host, maintain, e.t.c, but there is no legal way to create a client to connect to them since that would require you to decompile/reverse engineer/hack the client to make it connect to the private server instead of Jagex's server. However, although reverse engineering the network protocol can be done without a hacked client using a packet inspector, it's impossible to actually test it with the real client. This is JavaGaming.org, so if it can't be used for gaming it doesn't really belong here.

Myomyomyo.
Offline GabrielBailey74
« Reply #12 - Posted 2012-03-15 21:40:01 »

Come on guys! This is getting ridiculous.
Gab: Just leave this thread alone if you want it dead. Don't be so aggressive... >_>

Woke up and told The Eagentd to throw some e's on it. lol gabE.
I wasn't bieng mean or nothing, i mean moparscape/rune locus is full of 12 year olds who think they can program java to the max from following tutorials on 'how to add custom items', nuff said though XD.

Offline theagentd

« JGO Bitwise Duke »

« Reply #13 - Posted 2012-03-15 22:22:33 »

I know lots of sites full of lots of different people. Did you know there are some great programmers on /b/ on 4chan for example? Obviously someone on MoparScape knows what they're doing since they do have working stuff. A wise man once said: Get back to making games!

Myomyomyo.
Offline GabrielBailey74
« Reply #14 - Posted 2012-03-15 22:56:18 »

I mean yeah, i'll give it to the actual decompilers + programmers who bring two things together, in a unionized way to make a rsps, moparscape's got a bin full of nothing but decompiled caches + clients from runescape, probably almost every release!

But like my last comment, you know..
That's how I got into Java, coded rsps, found out after years of it that I wanted to create something game like in java.
Not hatin O.O!

go to moparscape.org.
*Cough* Delta.

Maybe my opening comment was a little to mean  Emo

Offline SwampChicken
« Reply #15 - Posted 2012-03-16 03:38:55 »

I have no idea what you people are talking about.
(can someone explain whats going on here (slowly!) to this old man)
Offline theagentd

« JGO Bitwise Duke »

« Reply #16 - Posted 2012-03-16 05:41:53 »

- Runescape is probably THE most popular Java game ever made.
 - There is a pretty big community dedicated to creating private servers for Runescape. This involves hacking the client to connect to your own server and then trying to figure out the communication protocol between the client and the server using experimenting and packet inspecting. This happens to be illegal since it involves reverse-engineering the original client, but since the server is created from scratch that part is actually legal.
 - OP asked about developers to help him develop a server, but since it's unusable without an illegally modified client I deemed it unfit for JavaGaming.org since you can't play RS on it legally. >_>

Myomyomyo.
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 434
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #17 - Posted 2012-03-16 12:18:39 »

Hmm if you've got enough talent to actually make a Runescape server then why not, you know, make your own game instead?

Cas Smiley

Offline pjt33
« Reply #18 - Posted 2012-03-16 15:10:34 »

This happens to be illegal since it involves reverse-engineering the original client
Reverse engineering for the purposes of compatibility is legal in the EU. (Ok, that's a simplification, but...)
Offline nethious

Senior Newbie

« Reply #19 - Posted 2012-03-19 04:43:06 »

because i don't feel like making models, maps, objects, etc. With an RSPS, i already have a boatload of them, and there's a good crowed wanting to play RSPS, less time is also needed to develop a good RSPS then a whole entire new game.

there is servers, which make around 30k+ USD per month from donations, they have a 1-2K player base.

much easier/cheaper to advertise.
Offline GabrielBailey74
« Reply #20 - Posted 2012-03-19 05:07:07 »

because i don't feel like making models, maps, objects, etc. With an RSPS, i already have a boatload of them, and there's a good crowed wanting to play RSPS, less time is also needed to develop a good RSPS then a whole entire new game.

there is servers, which make around 30k+ USD per month from donations, they have a 1-2K player base.

much easier/cheaper to advertise.

I spent over 2 years coding/hosting my rsps, of course it was by myself, but over that 2 year period all I brought in was 400$, minus the fees for the vps($40).. the website($14).. other hassles($10).. each month.

Google 'Elite Demons', pretty sure it's going to be found more times than the majority of other private servers, brought in over 7,800 players, most online was about 760, (This was because a Player decided he was going to launch a 'Bot Attack' basically just spamming the rsps's login protocol so it was thinking it was a player logging in), but look at those statistics.
It's not worth the time

On the other hand..
If you really really do want to learn how to program with Java, yeah start out with rsps, exactly what I did.
Messing around with booleans and all the operators in rsps is simple.

Offline theagentd

« JGO Bitwise Duke »

« Reply #21 - Posted 2012-03-19 05:32:32 »

This happens to be illegal since it involves reverse-engineering the original client
Reverse engineering for the purposes of compatibility is legal in the EU. (Ok, that's a simplification, but...)
Well, RS works perfectly fine as it is, so making it connect to another server for "compatibility" is hardly justifiable. BTW, is it okay to reverse engineer software to make it compatible with my own ideas?  Wink

Myomyomyo.
Offline GabrielBailey74
« Reply #22 - Posted 2012-03-19 05:42:18 »

lol, I'd post you http://www.elitedemons.org/DMCA.php, but my websites gone..
DMCA HIDE.

Anyways here it is found it on MoparScape :L
Hello,

We have received a Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA") complaint involving domains under your control. Please note that Hostgator has only passed on the sufficiency of the Claimant's notice, per 17 U.S.C. Sec. 512, and has not sought to determine whether the Infringing Materials on the Web Site do indeed infringe upon the Claimant's intellectual property rights.

Within a forty-eight (48) hour period, we will need you to remove, or disable access to, the material that is claimed to be infringing or we will have to disable this material to be in compliance with federal DMCA laws. A copy of the original DMCA notice is listed below our contact information.

Under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, your rights as a Respondent to this complaint include, but are not limited to, a possible counter-notification to us, per 17 U.S.C. Sec. 512(g)(3). We encourage you to review the federal statutory procedures for filing a counter-notification and seeking legal advice to see if taking such an action would be appropriate. We cannot provide individual legal advice, and do not analyze your particular website or activity for the legality of its content.

You may send a counter-notification using postal mail or fax; email is not accepted.

Our postal address is:

HostGator LLC
Attn: DMCA/Legal
11251 Northwest Freeway, Suite 400
Houston, TX 77079

Our Fax is: (281) 476-7801

To whom it may concern;

Re: http://www.elitedemons.org (IP Address: 184.173.229.59) (“the Website”)

I represent Jagex Limited (“Jagex”). Jagex has owned and operated RuneScape, the well-known online multiplayer adventure game, at the website www.runescape.com since 2001. There are currently over 5 million active registered players of the game worldwide.

Under Sections 512(c)(3) and 512 (d)(3) of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (17 U.S.C 512(c)(3) and 512(d)(3)), we are hereby giving you notification that;

1. Jagex Limited (UK registered company number 03982706) is the exclusive owner of the copyrights in and to the RuneScape massively multiplayer online game, the associated www.runescape.com website and the text, artwork, logos and other material appearing therein, except where otherwise stated.

a) A full and representative list of the RuneScape material can be viewed at www.runescape.com.

2. The Website has reproduced, without consent or license, elements of the RuneScape material.

a) The website is involved in development and distribution of a modified RuneScape Game Client, also known as the “elitedemons”, available as a download at the following addresses:

http://www.elitedemons.org/webclient.php

The elitedemonz Client is a duplication of the official RuneScape Game Client materials (including copyrighted names and artwork) available for review at http://www.runescape.com, reproduced without consent or license.

Duplication of the aforementioned is only possible by circumventing the protective systems enacted by Jagex Limited, thereby gaining access to, and distributing, part of the code for the RuneScape game.

This is a clear breach of copyright, involving copying of the code as well as the appearance of the game in terms of overall impression, interfaces, text and images.

Furthermore, in providing the client for play by others the Website is committing contributory and vicarious copyright infringement, as well as it is encouraging others to breach their contract with Jagex Limited, the terms of which clearly state: “You must not use a modified/customised version of the client software or attempt to sub-license it. You must not create or provide any other means by which any Jagex Product may be played by others (including, without limitation, replacement or modified client/server software, server emulators).”

In accordance with Section 512(d) of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act you are bound by law to prevent the referring or linking of users to an online location containing infringing material by using information location tools, including a directory, index, reference, pointer or hypertext link, in order to claim a safe harbour from liability for contributory and vicarious copyright infringement.

Accordingly, Jagex Limited requires that you act expeditiously to remove, or disable access to, the web page listed above.

Should you have any concerns, please contact copyright@jagex.com or 0844.588.6689.

I hereby certify under penalty of perjury that I am the owner or am authorised to act on behalf of the copyright owner. The information in the notification is accurate. I have good faith to belief that the use of the material identified below has not been authorised by the owner, its agents or the law.

Yours faithfully,

----------------------

Luke Presland

Liaison, Copyright & Intellectual Property

tel:             +44 (0)844 588 6689      
fax: +44 (0)844 588 6690
copyright@jagex.com
www.jagex.com www.runescape.com

Sincerely,

Ford M.
HostGator.com LLC
http://support.hostgator.com

But yeah, if you'd like to be all flashy and attempt to make some money in rsps, look forward to that but with your website address O.o.

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #23 - Posted 2012-03-19 08:36:50 »

Mention "Runescape" anywhere at all on a website that's a portal to an identical running service and you've got a trademark infringement on your hands...

Cas Smiley

Offline pjt33
« Reply #24 - Posted 2012-03-19 13:07:02 »

Well, RS works perfectly fine as it is, so making it connect to another server for "compatibility" is hardly justifiable.
The point is to create a different product which interoperates with an RS client. Whether it's possible so to do with copyright infringement on the RS client is the really interesting legal question: I suspect that it would be possible but you'd have to mess around with router/firewall configuration to send game packets to your interoperating server while running the official client unmodified.
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #25 - Posted 2012-03-19 13:39:25 »

Legally there is little to stop you reverse engineering the client and making a compatible server. What your problem is that you are entirely illegally using the Runescape trademark to advertise it as a service, and they will probably take an extremely dim view of you directly attempting to pilfer their customers and attacking their core business.

Cas Smiley

Offline vyh

Senior Newbie

« Reply #26 - Posted 2012-03-19 16:51:41 »

Hmm if you've got enough talent to actually make a Runescape server then why not, you know, make your own game instead?

Cas Smiley

+1  Smiley
Offline pjt33
« Reply #27 - Posted 2012-03-19 19:15:33 »

Legally there is little to stop you reverse engineering the client and making a compatible server. What your problem is that you are entirely illegally using the Runescape trademark to advertise it as a service, and they will probably take an extremely dim view of you directly attempting to pilfer their customers and attacking their core business.
I wasn't replying to you. That's why I quoted someone else.

Although actually trademarks aren't quite so far-reaching: you can advertise a product as being compatible with another product provided that you do so in a way which doesn't imply that it is the other product.
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #28 - Posted 2012-03-19 19:37:03 »

Yeah, that's the grey area isn't it... I wouldn't want to bother risking putting in all that effort only to get cease and desisted as soon as Jagex noticed.

Cas Smiley

Offline nethious

Senior Newbie

« Reply #29 - Posted 2012-03-20 03:07:25 »

jagex constantly sends out dmca notices, but they never actually take servers down, you can host offshore and easily do it without risk.

i wasnt trying to make a argument thread about legality, im just looking for a partner, so we can start making money from donations.
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

rwatson462 (30 views)
2014-12-15 09:26:44

Mr.CodeIt (20 views)
2014-12-14 19:50:38

BurntPizza (42 views)
2014-12-09 22:41:13

BurntPizza (76 views)
2014-12-08 04:46:31

JscottyBieshaar (37 views)
2014-12-05 12:39:02

SHC (51 views)
2014-12-03 16:27:13

CopyableCougar4 (48 views)
2014-11-29 21:32:03

toopeicgaming1999 (115 views)
2014-11-26 15:22:04

toopeicgaming1999 (103 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:36

toopeicgaming1999 (30 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:08
Resources for WIP games
by kpars
2014-12-18 10:26:14

Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org