Apocalypse Run  (Read 6949 times)
Offline Geemili

Medals: 9
Projects: 1
Exp: 2 years

No Games Finished

« Posted 2012-03-08 03:49:36 »

April 9, 2012
    Spring break! A perfect time to work on my game. I got some work done on it. I added in a GUI system, so I could make a sign. IT looks ugly but it works.
    Speaking of GUIs, I made a level editor. I would upload it, but I isn't very advanced. I need to add in an options menu. But I am proud of it. This is one of the first times I have designed a GUI system, so I was learning as I went. Anyway...

DOWNLOADS!!
ApocalypseRun.jar
Source.zip

April 2, 2012
I finally got something productive done! From my old post, I have added nothing, in fact, I lost some aspects of the game from last time. The reason for for this is because I re-wrote it in libGdx. LibGDX was much harder for me to learn than Slick was. I want to say thanks to KevinGlass (he made it right? I don't want to feel stupid), for making such an easy to use library.

Anyway, I am posting it with less content because I want some feedback on how to manage some things like GUIs. Besides that, I must have also fixed my export options, because I can export libGDX games without the jars being corrupted. Now, you can look at the download section:

Download
Apocalypse Run
Apocalypse Run - source

March 8, 2012
Hello everyone! Me and my brother (usually with the username Desttinghim) started making a game called Apocalypse Run (as you could probably guess from the title). We started this project in a program called GameMaker, which you have probably heard of. We made a engine, where you just walked around paths, picked up loot (which was just generic boxes), and avoided zombies. You could also buy a weapon from a store. But it was glitchy, and we decided to remake it. Then we forgot about it for a short bit, and didn't work on anything. When we got back to it, I had decided to learn Java, and I wanted to make it in Java. These are screenshots of my work so far (Note: MY brother did all the artwork):

I'm not releasing a demo right now because of relative folder finding issues. I feel tempted to post the source code, but I'm not sure how to do that with Eclipse, other than just copying the folders. Plus it uses LWJGL and Slick2D.

Also, my brother continued a remake of it in GameMaker. His progress can be viewed here.
Offline Nyhm

Medals: 3

Island Forge

« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-03-08 15:56:25 »

I love the classic look. If you have specific programming questions, be sure to ask around. Java is an excellent language for such games. (I'm hoping to try Slick2D as well, just as soon as I get the chance.)

Island Forge: Create Islands with Stories for Others to Explore!
Free-to-Play with Membership and Upgrade options!
Offline StonePickaxes

JGO Coder

Medals: 4
Projects: 2

Nathan Kramber

« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-03-09 20:10:09 »

I also really like the art. Reminds me of an NES RPG which I can't remember the name of...   Huh

Anyways, are you using a tutorial set for Slick2D? I wanted to try it myself, but couldn't find any good ones. If so, could you link them for me?

-Nathan

Check out my website!
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline RylandAlmanza

« Reply #3 - Posted 2012-03-09 20:13:25 »

I also really like the art. Reminds me of an NES RPG which I can't remember the name of...   Huh

Anyways, are you using a tutorial set for Slick2D? I wanted to try it myself, but couldn't find any good ones. If so, could you link them for me?

-Nathan
You didn't think the coke and code ones were good? I thought they were ok, but if you need any more help than that, I could help you out. Do you use IRC or skype or anything? Smiley

EDIT: I like the art a lot too.
Offline Geemili

No Games Finished

« Reply #4 - Posted 2012-03-10 01:12:47 »

I just searched around for a few different tutorials and then started programming. I never finished any of them. It was really easy for me, because the drawing functions are kinda similar to GameMaker's functions. The only tutorial that I really followed was bucky's (from TheNewBoston) tutorial in java game programming. The hardest part was learning Java, because GameMaker is not Object Oriented (in my opinion).

The hardest part specifically related to Slick2D was a few bugs with the build path, like forgetting to include the LWJGL natives. I was wondering why it wasn't working for a while...
Offline StonePickaxes

JGO Coder

Medals: 4

Nathan Kramber

« Reply #5 - Posted 2012-03-11 21:33:17 »

Thanks! My skype name is nathan.kramber if you want to add me.

-Nathan

Check out my website!
Offline Geemili

No Games Finished

« Reply #6 - Posted 2012-04-03 01:10:07 »

Updated the original post! Also, tell me if you prefer people to put information in their new posts, or them just editing the original post, or both.
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #7 - Posted 2012-04-03 01:45:44 »

Updated the original post! Also, tell me if you prefer people to put information in their new posts, or them just editing the original post, or both.
Both. First post for someone who come to here first time so they read it. Last post for the rest, who monitor any update on thread.

Offline Geemili

No Games Finished

« Reply #8 - Posted 2012-04-10 05:43:09 »

April 9, 2012
    Spring break! A perfect time to work on my game. I got some work done on it. I added in a GUI system, so I could make a sign. IT looks ugly but it works.
    Speaking of GUIs, I made a level editor. I would upload it, but I isn't very advanced. I need to add in an options menu. But I am proud of it. This is one of the first times I have designed a GUI system, so I was learning as I went. Anyway...

DOWNLOADS!!
ApocalypseRun.jar
Source.zip
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 336
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #9 - Posted 2012-04-10 05:58:05 »

Runs really smoothly and the graphics are cute, great job!

Your game uses up 100% of one of my cores! Did you set LibGDX to run at max FPS or something?! O_o

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Geemili

No Games Finished

« Reply #10 - Posted 2012-04-10 05:59:13 »

I didn't do anything with the FPS. I probably need to control it. I'll look into it.

[EDIT] After looking around a bit, I realized I have no idea how to control how much CPU it uses up. I already have vsync enabled, and I don't know what to do. I also realized that it was my code that I needed to change.
Offline Geemili

No Games Finished

« Reply #11 - Posted 2012-04-12 01:07:05 »

April 11, 2012
I have changed a few things. The first being: I removed my GUI system. Others were telling me I should use libgdx's built in GUI system, or TWL. I haven't replaced it yet, so you can't read signs now. I just don't understand others GUI's. I'll look into libGdx's source and figure out how it works, I think. Or, see if I can find a video tutorial. The first seems like a better idea.

Second: I made my chunks render faster. Using libGdx's Pixmap, and a lot of ugly code, I made each chunk render it's blocks onto a Pixmap once, and then draw the resulting texture. It's a lot faster than having each block render itself, especially if all the blocks in a chunk draw a texture. The only thing not saved to the Pixmap is the background. I'm not sure if it matters.

Downloads
ApocalypseRun.jar
Source.zip

BTW, does anyone look at the source code? Or care that I post it? Because IT is one less thing I need to do if no one wants it.

[EDIT] Oh, and I just remembered. I also added in a few more people spinning around, and a person that follows you. Don't do anything to confuse (A.K.A don't do anything).
Offline _Al3x

Medals: 7

Indie Games FTW!

« Reply #12 - Posted 2012-04-12 03:49:38 »

I do like sources, but is up to you to do whatever you want Smiley

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #13 - Posted 2012-04-12 14:06:39 »

If your game is really appealling, sources will be wanted.

Offline Geemili

No Games Finished

« Reply #14 - Posted 2012-04-19 06:15:08 »

April 18, 2012
I'm sure no one was disappointed that I haven't updated in a while. But I am still going to be updating. List of changes:
- Upgraded to libGdx's built-in GUI library
- Somehow fixed a bug that was crashing my game (I couldn't find the source of the bug)
- Made the signs messages look better
- Made you able to read signs within a + shape
- Added a menu
- Removed all of the other entities because I was lazy.

Downloads
ApocalypseRun.jar
Source.zip

I thought about removing the source, but then I realized that I would probably find it the most useful.
Offline Geemili

No Games Finished

« Reply #15 - Posted 2012-05-20 06:43:51 »

I made a video of all the work I have done (not much)!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vTP-X3utuiE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/vTP-X3utuiE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>
Offline Nyhm

Island Forge

« Reply #16 - Posted 2012-05-20 15:27:05 »

The two followers remind me of Ultima 6/7, where I had to walk very deliberately through forest paths, lest the party members get stuck behind a corner. As I recall, in U6, you could lose your party members forever, but in U7 if a party member was left behind too far, they'd suddenly come dashing back in from off-screen. My speculation was that the pathfinding couldn't track my character fast enough (on a 16MHz 386 CPU), so if they were off-screen by some threshold, the game just dropped them back nearby.

What is the role of the followers (party members) in your game? I still love the classic look. Thanks for the updates.

Offline Geemili

No Games Finished

« Reply #17 - Posted 2012-05-20 16:14:58 »

Right now, they are just novel. I doubt any of the NPCs later on will have AI like this.
Offline Geemili

No Games Finished

« Reply #18 - Posted 2012-05-22 00:33:57 »

Sorry for the double post, I'm releasing an update. Very minor changes, except in the Guis.

Download

Offline aazimon
« Reply #19 - Posted 2012-06-01 18:04:59 »

I was trying to play your game, but the character moved so fast, I couldn't navigate very well. He seems to move several tiles with one press of the arrow key.
So far it seems pretty cool. I like the style of it.
Aazimon Smiley
Offline ags1

JGO Ninja

Medals: 46
Exp: 5 years

Make code not war!

« Reply #20 - Posted 2012-06-01 22:01:41 »

I suppose one way to solve the tendency for NPCs to get stuck (without having to do heavy path analysis) is to keep a record of the path followed by the player - then the NPCs do not have to think at all.

But if you have this problem with the NPCs, then i guess the zombies will get stuck too - but maybe that makes sense for mindless zombies :-)

Offline Nyhm

Island Forge

« Reply #21 - Posted 2012-06-01 23:13:46 »

Following the path of the player is a good idea. It could also lead to some interesting tactics - leaving a bread crumb trail for the zombies to follow.

I've implemented creature pathing that simply takes a step toward the current position of the target, and it actually works well enough in most cases (and also allows for tactics, such as getting them stuck behind things to escape).

Pathfinding isn't the most trivial thing to implement, but can be fast, especially on a large-grained coordinate system, like Apocalypse Run. I wouldn't worry about performance until you actually implement and test it. I followed this example to construct a speedy Java A* implementation.

Also see An Adventure Game, which has zombie pathing.

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print