Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Rock-Paper-Scissors!  (Read 4445 times)
Offline davidllanos22

Projects: 2

I'm just a learner!

« Posted 2012-03-06 13:03:03 »

Hi everyone! I'm new on this forum and I wanted to show you what I've recently made! It's a little rock-paper-scissors game, now featuring just two colors and retro feel! Grin

It's my first game and I want to know what do you think! Smiley

Pics:

How to play:

-Move with W, S, A, D.
-Select with SPACE.
-Return with ESC.

Play it here! (Loads in a few seconds)

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-03-06 15:49:19 »

Hello! your game works fine here.

Offline davidllanos22

I'm just a learner!

« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-03-06 21:28:18 »

Hello! your game works fine here.

Nice!

Oh! I forgot to say that it's my first game! Smiley

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Dream Of Sleeping
« Reply #3 - Posted 2012-03-10 23:19:41 »

Hi. I'm a total noob to game making myself.

I really like the way it looks. I think you did a great job of making it look retro. Maybe you should make the controls clear on the game it's self, as it's not clear unless reading this thread. I think I would have prefered pressing r to select rock, and pressing p to select paper and pressing s to select scissors.

Is that the frame rate displayed in the top corner? Isn't that a bit fast? I thought games were supposed to be like 60 frames per second. It took quite a while to load, and it used up a lot of my processing power. As I say I'm new to this so for all I know it's ok to have frame rate that fast.

Offline loom_weaver

JGO Coder

Medals: 17

« Reply #4 - Posted 2012-03-11 04:36:38 »

Mac OSX Snow Leopard running Safari 5.1.2.  Cannot advance past the flashing Press SPACE to begin no matter where I click or press.
Offline davidllanos22

I'm just a learner!

« Reply #5 - Posted 2012-03-12 19:04:27 »

Hi. I'm a total noob to game making myself.

I really like the way it looks. I think you did a great job of making it look retro. Maybe you should make the controls clear on the game it's self, as it's not clear unless reading this thread. I think I would have prefered pressing r to select rock, and pressing p to select paper and pressing s to select scissors.

Is that the frame rate displayed in the top corner? Isn't that a bit fast? I thought games were supposed to be like 60 frames per second. It took quite a while to load, and it used up a lot of my processing power. As I say I'm new to this so for all I know it's ok to have frame rate that fast.

Thanks! Cheesy Well, I thought about using letters to select rock, paper and scissors but then I realised: what about random? xD So I decided to use A-D instead.

And about the fps... there are two ways :1- Fixed time step(fixed about 60fps) and 2-Variable time step (depending on how fast your computer is)

Take a look at this thread it might help you: http://www.java-gaming.org/topics/game-loops/24220/view.html

Mac OSX Snow Leopard running Safari 5.1.2.  Cannot advance past the flashing Press SPACE to begin no matter where I click or press.

I'm having that issue too, only happen in the applet...don't know why...I'll try to fix it!

Offline Giovanni

chop!

« Reply #6 - Posted 2012-03-12 22:14:09 »

The font style reminded me on really old Gameboy games. I like your game, keep it up :]
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 336
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #7 - Posted 2012-03-12 23:20:40 »

Mac OSX Snow Leopard running Safari 5.1.2.  Cannot advance past the flashing Press SPACE to begin no matter where I click or press.
I'm having that issue too, only happen in the applet...don't know why...I'll try to fix it!
That's a common issue. How do you add your components and your listeners?

Really great game btw. Runs smoothly at 2000FPS. I beat the computer easily Grin

Offline davidllanos22

I'm just a learner!

« Reply #8 - Posted 2012-03-13 01:15:52 »

Really great game btw. Runs smoothly at 2000FPS. I beat the computer easily Grin

Hey! I don't know what do you refer with components(i'm a noob yet xd) and about the listeners I have them on the main class and I add them on the start() method. The inputs are pretty dirty I think, I should have used a separate class or something  Grin

WOW! Shocked You have f**king great machine! Jaja It's easy to win , but watch out... it's easy to loose too! Cheesy

Thanks for playing Smiley

Offline davidllanos22

I'm just a learner!

« Reply #9 - Posted 2012-03-13 01:17:45 »

The font style reminded me on really old Gameboy games. I like your game, keep it up :]

Thank you for playing! I really love the style of that old game boy games! Cheesy

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #10 - Posted 2012-03-13 01:27:11 »

Hey! I don't know what do you refer with components(i'm a noob yet xd) and about the listeners I have them on the main class and I add them on the start() method. The inputs are pretty dirty I think, I should have used a separate class or something  Grin

WOW! Shocked You have f**king great machine! Jaja It's easy to win , but watch out... it's easy to loose too! Cheesy

So you add the listeners directly onto the applet and do you draw in the paint method of the Applet too or on a separate Component?
By components I mean like the java.awt.Component/javax.swing.JComponent classes.

And heh, it's an i7 2600K (hyperthreaded quad-core) with a GTX 580 and 16GB of RAM Grin

Offline davidllanos22

I'm just a learner!

« Reply #11 - Posted 2012-03-13 01:37:41 »

Hey! I don't know what do you refer with components(i'm a noob yet xd) and about the listeners I have them on the main class and I add them on the start() method. The inputs are pretty dirty I think, I should have used a separate class or something  Grin

So you add the listeners directly onto the applet and do you draw in the paint method of the Applet too or on a separate Component?
By components I mean like the java.awt.Component/javax.swing.JComponent classes.

And heh, it's an i7 2600K (hyperthreaded quad-core) with a GTX 580 and 16GB of RAM Grin

Noo, everywhing  happens in a canvas and then I add that in the Applet class! So nothing is happening in the applet, it just loads the game D: (I don't know if this is the best way to do it)

Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #12 - Posted 2012-03-13 01:54:35 »

Are you adding the listeners to the applet or the canvas? Also make sure to call:
canvas.requestFocusInWindow();

Offline davidllanos22

I'm just a learner!

« Reply #13 - Posted 2012-03-13 02:02:41 »

Are you adding the listeners to the applet or the canvas? Also make sure to call:
canvas.requestFocusInWindow();

I'm adding the listeners to the canvas. So I've to add that on the applet? That will auto-focus the window?

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print