Games in Android Showcase (89)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (468)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2 3
  ignore  |  Print  
  Finally, an Experience poll! [UPDATED] Now with Statistics!  (Read 17956 times)
Offline neuronich

Medals: 5

« Posted 2012-02-29 19:07:03 »

Hello All!
We live in the wave of Indie Game Development.
I want to learn more about our community. Here we have already collected a huge table(>= 35)!
JOIN IN!

Now we have come to some critical point where we can try to understand the realtions and behaviour between developers and games Wink
Comments for that analysis you can find here: http://www.java-gaming.org/topics/the-game-developers-society/25969/view.html
Here I've put some basics statistics, that can be curious.

Just some comments.
Try not to overemphasize ideas count. By ideas I understand a game conception you would have definitely brought to life if you had more time.
It seems that we should somehow divide big nice finished game projects from smaller and totally novice ones.

My name is Max and I'm interested in game development for two months already  Undecided. It messes up with my scientific career, but I just can't help thinking about the games.
I'll start.

NameTime with JavaGames MadeDeveloped IdeasNot so developed ideasLearningEducationAgeIn collaborationNeed collaborationCountry
Max (neuronich)2 months2 in progress75Java2D LibGDXDoing Master D, Physicist21almost with a friendWith experienced and educated and enthusiastic  Cool PointingMoscow,Russia
ra4king2.5 years4 public, dozens private12OpenGLHigh school16No one atmSure, it's boring working alone Grinborn in Alexandria, Egypt, now Georgia, US
Mike (Mickelukas)5 years0.5 in Java, 1 in VB6 Smiley10Staying focused during the boring parts SmileyUniversity28Ideas: State of Profit community. Programming: no oneSomewhere down the line, sure19 Years in Uppsala, Sweden, ever since then in Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Cas (princec)14 years?77Too many to countA little bit about shadersBSc Hons38Well, we're a companyNeed slaves who work for peanuts
Geo (UprightPath)7-8 years1 or 21Hundreds (Mostly with Pathfinders)2D graphics/pixelingBachelor's CS (Starting Masters)25No oneEh, I covet my source code!US. On the Mexican border
RylandAlmanzaA few weeksOne in Java, a few in C++, a couple in Python, a couple in AS3, a couple with HTML5/Javascript, and one in C#. Out of all those games, none of them are really fun. They're all just games I made while learning the languages.1Over 90003D with OpenGLStill in highschool17Artist: MushAlready have one.US
lhkbob9 years1 or 225Physics and performance hacksBS Honors (starting PhD)23RoommateNope
theagentd6 years or something0Too many10+Voxel renderingHighschool, studying Japanese19PuppyGamesNot anymore =D
Kev (kevglass) 15 years50+50+LotsHow to put tables into posts on JGO. Game art. Game design.BSc Comp Sci34Various over the years, currently an artistI don't play well with others.
ShannonSmith13 years0 (that I would be proud of)manymany moreOpenCL & ShadersBachelor of Engineering (Electronic)31Nothing serious.An artist would be nice.New Zealand originally, currently California, US
R.D.6 -7 years2 (minigames) + some demos (RPG's)110^10 Shaders, XML, Android, game development in generel6th semester currently doing an intership22A musician and an artist (And some skilled "helping-out"-guys)A Graphics Programmer / OpenAL Dude and another Artist for misc stuff
Mo (counterp)6 years1 that I've actually stuck withManyMore than manyNothing in particular at the momentHigh school (no programming classes though?)17No oneNo Smiley
kaffiene15 Years2 Commercially released games (C++), half a dozen Java applets for hire(other than released games) Just got one thing I'm working on seriouslyDozens of little experiments and partially developed ideasRecently learned FBOs, Multiple Render Targets. Hoping to learn Deferred Rendering soonBA Philosophy, Entered into MSc Comp Sci (incomplete)40NoNot sure I need it on my current project but I'd like to in the future.I'm a New Zealander too : living in sunny Dunedin  
Mads5 yearsNone CheesyAround 10, I'd guess.Lots and lots.OpenGL and optimizationWorking on it...17Not currently.I'd like to, but not right now.Denmark, living in Wisconsin for a year though
weertj14 years33Too muchOpenGLBachelor of Computer Science43NoneNot for development
cheekymonk3yLess than 2 months practicing1 (Pong doesn't count? I don't care  Grin )01Java2DNone.24No. Too soon for anything like that.No. Too soon for anything like that.From South Africa; Living in Cyprus currently.
Nathan (StonePickaxes) 4 months212basic sound and networkingHigh school Tongue17Not yet :/It would be nice to have some other people to work with for when I get stuckBorn in Mississippi, currently in Minnesota (United States)
Alejandro, but I like how Alex sounds in english(_Al3x)12 months (Really focused on java, only 2 or 4)1 not finished text rpg in pascal, 1 in progress in java, 4 in game design phase and 1 technical demo in progress for my masterpieceI haven't finished any idea, so it would be 0 right?Like 10Java, advance programming, java2d, openGL, game programming...University in progress (Programming branch)26Nothing yetSure, I would love to make at least 2 friends to work with and learn from!Argentina
Spasi12 years043Differential equations on Khan AcademyBSc in Informatics29WebHotelier, LWJGL, The Rope EffectSoonishGreece
delt0rsince java started0somemany many moreFocusing on finishingPhD (physics/bio/applied math cojoint)36.99My Brother the art department-Austria, NZ originally
philfrei2.5 years3 close to finished (playable)severalfile folder fullJava Sound, concurrency/actorsMusic BA UCBerkeley with sides of CompSci and Psych/Perception55writing a musical tool for a composer friendinterested, happy to considerSan Francisco Bay Area (Albany)
fruitmazeAround 10 years6 public, around 15 privateManyManyJavascriptComputer engineer30-MusicSweden
teletubo7 Years or so4Manynot manyPolishing!Computer Science27nopenopeBrazil
EgonOlsen13 years1 on the ZX81, 4 on the C64, 3 on the Amiga, 5 in Java (desktop), 1 on AndroidOne...more or lessnoneHow to create an RPG that doesn't suck in my spare timeMaster in Computer Science40not reallyi eventually need a 3d modeler, but i can get away without one for now Germany
wingsOrc3 yearsNone.. but a 2d verlet physics engine, chip 8 emu, bugged gb emu and currently on a nes emuat most one>10 DSP (digital signal processing)school18im notnopeSwitzerland
Eli Delventhal8 yearsUh... Lots of hobby small ones, several big professional onesWhat does this mean? Infinity.Infinity.How to get a casual team working on a game on the side - staying motivated, shipping productBS in CS26One artist, several contractorsNot really, noSF Bay Area, CA, US
evilfrenchguy5 years42Too manyFramework/ Code StructuresBS CompSci22No oneI would love that ^_^
aazimon12 years2 small games1 current project2 ideas on the back burnerBS Mass Comm (minor in art & theater) Who's further away from computer science then that? 42NoneHaven't thought about it.St. Louis area, Missouri, US
Cero~ 6 years1 mini game, 1 real game currently in development5-10>30some Math, some AI, some OpenGLworking on my BSc in CS (Media-Informatics)24Team of 5YesGermany
Aeroren5 yearsnothing serious13Raycasters (I'm not quite sure why Tongue)almost BSc in CS27noopen to the ideaNetherlands
ArchibaldA few daysaround 100 total, 3 of them profitable2-5UnlimitedYes Smiley1x Master and 1x BA34Sort of, volunteers that manage my online gamesIt's complicated SmileyPoland
pjt3313 years5 commercially published (Java), 3 completed Java4k entries, various othersHalf a dozenSomeNot much relevant to this forumB.A. in CompSciLow 30sNo (but previously worked in two small games companies)Maybe with someone who's good at extremely compact synthetic musicSpain
noblemaster15 years~20~5~30game design/path findingPh.D. in Computer Sciences37with artist & modderdependsTokyo
Sickan7 months013LWJGL, Slick2D, most of things.None.13With another programmer.Usually. Sometimes I just don't have time, though.Sweden
feelingtheblanks~6 monthsNone yet SadA fewDozenLibgdx, Android Dev.2nd grade in Mathematical Engineering20With 3 in appearance, really aloneNot really nowTurkey
ghia6 months013Java game developmentUniversety31Open for itYesSweden
Jimmt1.5 years1314none, learn as I goself-educated12-14 nonoCA, US
Sammyster7 months114Programming decent gamesAutomation20noneYes, sure!Sweden
Apo82710+50+Objective c and flashMaster of Business and Computer Science29With an artist and musician (for the first time)YesGermany
divxdede10 years2 [1 close, 1 public] in java, 2 (close) older in C++fewa lotOpenGLMaster In Computer Science34NoneSometimes, an expert in openGLFrance
Json60Vast amountVast amountEnterprise architechture and design. Games development.College30Yes, but not in games developmentYesBorn in Stockholm, Sweden, living in Warrington, United Kingdom
Travis Berthelot (tberthel)12 years>10>10>50J2ME into FlashBSCS from UNT37I have worked with 3 artist on games and usually have 1 main artist I work with.I would like to have multiple artist for the same game,  I will start teaching my AllBinary Patform soon,  and I will end up partnering up with or hiring those that learn how to use the AllBinary Platform the best.Republic Of TexasWrote the AllBinary Platform
ags17 years2 (1 not in Java)10JOGL, scenegraphs, actually everythingBA Hons, BSc Chemistry42nonoNetherlands
Icecore1.5f year ^^don't know realty, nothing bigThousands complete games(passed) like 2-3k+ Billion, I love physics, chemistry etc WinkEverythingschool Wink22nopeMaybe, need money for Big science XDUkraine Kiev
Please tell us about yourself. Bet you also want to learn about others!

P.S. CHEERS AND CAKES FOR EVERYONE, WHO HAVE ALREADY JOINED IN!
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 322
Projects: 2
Exp: 4 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-02-29 20:34:47 »

Time with JavaGames MadeDeveloped IdeasNot so developed ideasLearningEducationAgeIn collaborationNeed collaboration
2.5 years4 public, dozens private12OpenGLHigh school16No one atmSure, it's boring working alone Grin

Offline Mike

JGO Ninja

Medals: 69
Projects: 1
Exp: 5 years

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-02-29 20:44:14 »

Sure, I'll roll (if for no other reason than giving you guys a good table Tongue)

Time with JavaGames madeDeveloped ideasNot so developed ideasLearning at the momentEducationAgeIn collaborationNeed collaboration
5 years0.5 in Java, 1 in VB6 Smiley10Staying focused during the boring parts SmileyUniversity28Ideas: State of Profit community. Programming: no oneSomewhere down the line, sure

Mike

My current game, Minecraft meets Farmville and goes online Smiley
State of Fortune | Discussion thread @ JGO
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 285
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #3 - Posted 2012-02-29 20:54:38 »

Time with JavaGames madeDeveloped ideasNot so developed ideasLearning at the momentEducationAgeIn collaborationNeed collaboration
14 years?77Too many to countA little bit about shadersBSc Hons38Well, we're a companyNeed slaves who work for peanuts

Cas Smiley

Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #4 - Posted 2012-02-29 20:56:32 »

Need slaves who work for peanuts
Peanuts?! TAKE MEEEEEEEE!! Tongue

Offline neuronich

Medals: 5

« Reply #5 - Posted 2012-02-29 22:30:16 »

Don't you mind putting it everything into one table?

And Great Thanks for Support!
Offline UprightPath
« Reply #6 - Posted 2012-02-29 22:44:47 »

Time with JavaGames MadeDeveloped IdeasNot so developed ideasLearningEducationAgeIn collaborationNeed collaboration
7-8 years1 or 21Hundreds (Mostly with Pathfinders)2D graphics/pixelingBachelor's CS (Starting Masters)25No oneEh, I covet my source code!

And the name's Geo. :3

Offline RylandAlmanza

Medals: 3

« Reply #7 - Posted 2012-02-29 23:18:19 »

Me?

A few weeksOne in Java, a few in C++, a couple in Python, a couple in AS3, a couple with HTML5/Javascript, and one in C#. Out of all those games, none of them are really fun. They're all just games I made while learning the languages.1Over 90003D with OpenGLStill in highschool17Artist: MushAlready have one.
Offline lhkbob

JGO Knight

Medals: 32

« Reply #8 - Posted 2012-02-29 23:30:43 »

9 years1 or 225Physics and performance hacksBS Honors (starting PhD)23RoommateNope

Offline theagentd
« Reply #9 - Posted 2012-03-01 11:08:14 »

6 years or something0Too many10+Voxel renderingHighschool, studying Japanese19PuppyGamesNot anymore =D

Myomyomyo.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

Medals: 85
Projects: 22

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #10 - Posted 2012-03-01 11:32:33 »

15 years50+50+LotsHow to put tables into posts on JGO. Game art. Game design.BSc Comp Sci34Various over the years, currently an artistI don't play well with others.

Kev

Offline ShannonSmith
« Reply #11 - Posted 2012-03-01 16:49:27 »

13 years0 (that I would be proud of)manymany moreOpenCL & ShadersBachelor of Engineering (Electronic)31Nothing serious.An artist would be nice.

Offline Mike

JGO Ninja

Medals: 69
Exp: 5 years

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #12 - Posted 2012-03-01 20:42:17 »

How to put tables into posts on JGO.
Kiss

My current game, Minecraft meets Farmville and goes online Smiley
State of Fortune | Discussion thread @ JGO
Offline R.D.

Medals: 2

"For the last time, Hats ARE Awesome"

« Reply #13 - Posted 2012-03-01 21:48:39 »

6 -7 years2 (minigames) + some demos (RPG's)110^10 Shaders, XML, Android, game development in generel6th semester currently doing an intership22A musician and an artist (And some skilled "helping-out"-guys)A Graphics Programmer / OpenAL Dude and another Artist for misc stuff

I wonder how much just quoted the op Smiley
Offline counterp

Medals: 11

« Reply #14 - Posted 2012-03-01 22:23:14 »

NameTime with JavaGames MadeDeveloped IdeasNot so developed ideasLearningEducationAgeIn collaborationNeed collaboration
Mo (counterp)6 years1 that I've actually stuck withManyMore than manyNothing in particular at the momentHigh school (no programming classes though?)17No oneNo Smiley
Offline kaffiene
« Reply #15 - Posted 2012-03-02 04:20:55 »

Time with JavaGames MadeDeveloped IdeasNot so developed IdeasLearning at the momentEducationAgeIn collaborationNeed collaboration
15 Years2 Commercially released games (C++), half a dozen Java applets for hire(other than released games) Just got one thing I'm working on seriouslyDozens of little experiments and partially developed ideasRecently learned FBOs, Multiple Render Targets. Hoping to learn Deferred Rendering soonBA Philosophy, Entered into MSc Comp Sci (incomplete)40NoNot sure I need it on my current project but I'd like to in the future.
Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

Medals: 24

One for all!

« Reply #16 - Posted 2012-03-02 04:30:00 »

5 years
None Cheesy
Around 10, I'd guess.
Lots and lots.
OpenGL and optimization
Working on it...
Not currently.
I'd like to, but not right now.

I'm surprised I didnt screw up the table.  Cool

Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #17 - Posted 2012-03-02 04:57:37 »

Wow I'm the youngest here :X

Offline UprightPath
« Reply #18 - Posted 2012-03-02 04:59:23 »

And I'm the fourth oldest listed so far. o.o

Offline Cero
« Reply #19 - Posted 2012-03-02 06:42:40 »

you know what else would be interesting: where everybody is from; because to me it seems like an unusual amount of european people on here =D

Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #20 - Posted 2012-03-02 06:45:19 »

I was born in Alexandria, Egypt but I currently live in Georgia, US!

Offline ShannonSmith
« Reply #21 - Posted 2012-03-03 05:20:11 »

New Zealand originally, currently California, US.
Offline UprightPath
« Reply #22 - Posted 2012-03-03 05:46:06 »

US. On the Mexican border. Which leads to so many "English, DO YOU SPEAK IT!?" moments for me. Even more so, when my college has so many people from South America, Asia and India. I mean, I know they have to pass an English as a Second Language test to even be in these programs, but a lot of times it feels/seems like they "understand" the concepts, but cannot express them in functional English.

Offline weertj

Senior Newbie

« Reply #23 - Posted 2012-03-03 11:22:30 »

14 years33Too muchOpenGLBachelor of Computer Science43NoneNot for development

Offline cheekymonk3y

Senior Newbie

« Reply #24 - Posted 2012-03-03 17:36:26 »

Time with JavaGames MadeDeveloped IdeasNot so developed ideasLearningEducationAgeIn collaborationNeed collaborationLocation
Less than 2 months practicing1 (Pong doesn't count? I don't care  Grin )01Java2DNone.24No. Too soon for anything like that.No. Too soon for anything like that.From South Africa; Living in Cyprus currently.

Offline StonePickaxes

JGO Coder

Medals: 4

Nathan Kramber

« Reply #25 - Posted 2012-03-03 22:06:50 »

Time with JavaGames MadeDeveloped IdeasNot so developed ideasLearningEducationAgeIn collaborationNeed collaborationLocation
4 months212basic sound and networkingHigh school Tongue17Not yet :/It would be nice to have some other people to work with for when I get stuckBorn in Mississippi, currently in Minnesota (United States)

Ra4king has me beat for youngest by a year Wink I wish I had his knowledge of the language though!

-Nathan

Check out my website!
Offline _Al3x

Medals: 7

Indie Games FTW!

« Reply #26 - Posted 2012-03-04 11:47:12 »

12 months (Really focused on java, only 2 or 4)1 not finished text rpg in pascal, 1 in progress in java, 4 in game design phase and 1 technical demo in progress for my masterpieceI haven't finished any idea, so it would be 0 right?Like 10Java, advance programming, java2d, openGL, game programming...University in progress (Programming branch)26Nothing yetSure, I would love to make at least 2 friends to work with and learn from!Argentina

My name is Alejandro, but I like how Alex sound in english, so I'll stick with that Smiley

Offline Spasi
« Reply #27 - Posted 2012-03-04 16:05:03 »

12 years043Differential equations on Khan AcademyBSc in Informatics29WebHotelier, LWJGL, The Rope EffectSoonishGreece
Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

Medals: 24

One for all!

« Reply #28 - Posted 2012-03-04 16:14:06 »

you know what else would be interesting: where everybody is from; because to me it seems like an unusual amount of european people on here =D

Denmark, living in Wisconsin for a year though Smiley

Offline delt0r

JGO Coder

Medals: 22

Computers can do that?

« Reply #29 - Posted 2012-03-04 17:07:55 »

since java started0somemany many moreFocusing on finishingPhD (physics/bio/applied math cojoint)36.99My Brother the art department-Austria

I am from NZ originally.

I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious.--Albert Einstein
Pages: [1] 2 3
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

theagentd (6 views)
2014-04-24 23:00:44

xsi3rr4x (83 views)
2014-04-15 18:08:23

BurntPizza (75 views)
2014-04-15 03:46:01

UprightPath (86 views)
2014-04-14 17:39:50

UprightPath (69 views)
2014-04-14 17:35:47

Porlus (86 views)
2014-04-14 15:48:38

tom_mai78101 (109 views)
2014-04-10 04:04:31

BurntPizza (169 views)
2014-04-08 23:06:04

tom_mai78101 (265 views)
2014-04-05 13:34:39

trollwarrior1 (217 views)
2014-04-04 12:06:45
List of Learning Resources
by SHC
2014-04-18 03:17:39

List of Learning Resources
by Longarmx
2014-04-08 03:14:44

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-05 13:51:37

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:46

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:37

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:51

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:34

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:22:30
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org