Games in Android Showcase (112)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (553)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  ignore  |  Print  
  How Long Have You Been Coding?  (Read 12925 times)
Offline kaffiene
« Reply #30 - Posted 2012-02-27 22:30:55 »

around 24 years, (starting with Sinclair Basic and Amiga Basic...)

Oohh!  I did Sinclair & Amiga Basic.  Did you ever try AMOS on the Amiga also?

I loved the Amiga.  The community was the best.
Offline weertj

Senior Newbie

Projects: 1

« Reply #31 - Posted 2012-02-27 23:04:30 »

Over 30 years.
Started with the Sinclair ZX81 & Spectrum, those where the days that I knew every address.

My greatest achievement was a handcrafted opcode-assembler (no money for an real assembler) Frogger clone in 3K.

Nowadays I suspect that my computer knows every address of myself and I sometimes wonder what the computer is really doing.

Offline davedes
« Reply #32 - Posted 2012-02-27 23:41:38 »

Been programming for 6 years. Just starting to learn OpenGL in the few months.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Roquen
« Reply #33 - Posted 2012-02-28 05:54:10 »

DX IS A LOT BETTER BECAUSE HAVING AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE IN CAPS MAKES MY PIXELS APPEAR FASTER
Although I would agree that Microsoft's naming convention for variables & parameters is perhaps the stupidest and most ugly on the planet, their usage of capitalization is pretty much what everyone uses for C like family languages.  But that's irrelevant since I wasn't suggesting that OpenGL should be made to look like DirectX, just that it should become a versioned API.  They've been talking about doing this for at least 15 year and just can't get their act together.

OpenGL 3.0+ is the perfect API in my opinion.
Man, I think you need to get out more.  Seriously, if I were to present some library that use integer constants a la OpenGL then everyone would tell me that it's a PITA to use, hard to maintain and has no compile time error checking and that I should re-think it.  There are no "up sides" to the current design.
Offline Beamery

Senior Newbie

Medals: 1

« Reply #34 - Posted 2012-02-28 07:37:54 »

Been coding for a little over a year now.  I've done some very basic stuff in OpenGL but haven't had the time to look into it too seriously.  Hopefully this summer I'll have more time to really get my hands dirty
Offline theagentd
« Reply #35 - Posted 2012-02-28 08:35:39 »

DX IS A LOT BETTER BECAUSE HAVING AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE IN CAPS MAKES MY PIXELS APPEAR FASTER
Although I would agree that Microsoft's naming convention for variables & parameters is perhaps the stupidest and most ugly on the planet, their usage of capitalization is pretty much what everyone uses for C like family languages.  But that's irrelevant since I wasn't suggesting that OpenGL should be made to look like DirectX, just that it should become a versioned API.  They've been talking about doing this for at least 15 year and just can't get their act together.

OpenGL 3.0+ is the perfect API in my opinion.
Man, I think you need to get out more.  Seriously, if I were to present some library that use integer constants a la OpenGL then everyone would tell me that it's a PITA to use, hard to maintain and has no compile time error checking and that I should re-think it.  There are no "up sides" to the current design.

Right, I wasn't 100% serious there, but I still think that OpenGL is pretty much as good as it gets. The code looks nice and blends nicely with Java, and checking up valid values for inputs is a piece of cake with some advanced Internet skills (Google). You didn't suggest anything in replacement for the integer constants (Enums?), and you also didn't mention any other downsides. I'd rather use a library which has no downsides rather than a library with lots of ups and downs, though you are right that I don't have too much experience with other libraries. Anyway, feel free to explain further what you meant by "getting out more". xD

Oh, did I mention OpenGL works with Java? >_>

Myomyomyo.
Offline krasse
« Reply #36 - Posted 2012-02-28 09:07:18 »

25 years if you count the initial, crappy C64 basic attempts. Have experimented with C++, QBasic, Lisp and assembly. I currently use Javascript for everything just to update myself with all that Html5 stuff and surprisingly, I like it a lot Shocked. The portability is very important to me. One of the reasons for using Java so much was just that. The main reason for staying with Java so long (12 years) was the marvelous and free IDEs (Eclipse, Netbeans etc., maybe you have heard of them?).

Not really fond of OpenGL myself, but find some comfort in the OpenGL ES 2.0 which seems to be less complicated and more portable than the desktop version.

Offline R.D.

Medals: 2

"For the last time, Hats ARE Awesome"

« Reply #37 - Posted 2012-02-28 09:13:25 »

Mh, I guess 6 years or something... starting with Turbo Pascal 7.0 moving to RPG Maker 200 and then Java <3 On the way of Glory I stopped at C# and C++/C but never stayed :/
Offline theagentd
« Reply #38 - Posted 2012-02-28 13:41:25 »

Not really fond of OpenGL myself, but find some comfort in the OpenGL ES 2.0 which seems to be less complicated and more portable than the desktop version.
Maybe because it's pretty similar to OpenGL 3.0? =S

Myomyomyo.
Offline gimbal

JGO Knight

Medals: 25

« Reply #39 - Posted 2012-02-28 14:49:21 »

Mh, I guess 6 years or something... starting with Turbo Pascal 7.0 moving to RPG Maker 200 and then Java <3 On the way of Glory I stopped at C# and C++/C but never stayed :/

You've 'only' been programming for 6 years and you still began with Turbo Pascal 7? Classic!
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline UprightPath
« Reply #40 - Posted 2012-02-28 18:55:31 »

Almost ten years here, and eight of those spent in college doing so. Which makes me feel like I've been put at a disadvantage!

I started out with PHP, writing stuff for a rather crappy text-based RPG online.

Move into Action Script, in '04, which was a little fun!

And now so much Java that I feel ruined for other languages. And even ruined for Java, as a lot of the Big-O notation stuff seems counter intuitive with it. Like that conversation about LinkedLists VS ArrayLists.

Offline R.D.

« Reply #41 - Posted 2012-02-28 19:12:27 »

You've 'only' been programming for 6 years and you still began with Turbo Pascal 7? Classic!

Kno the basics they say Cheesy I also did some Assembler, bur args... not again^^°
Offline DzzD
« Reply #42 - Posted 2012-02-28 20:18:59 »

arround 25 years, starting by doing my first game on a CPC 464 in basic, than going on 8086 assembly for my first 3d engine, and after turbo pascal, and after ..., and after..., and... finally java!

I am still nostalgic for that time, that was really really cool with a lot of things to discover, different computers, different languages, concurrency, games was a little crappy but imagination and coverage of games was doing all the stuffs, this was really cool

Offline gimbal

JGO Knight

« Reply #43 - Posted 2012-02-29 09:09:39 »

Kno the basics they say Cheesy I also did some Assembler, bur args... not again^^°

I applaud it, Pascal is an excellent language to roll into programming IMO. certainly helped me to switch from hating programming to adoring programming Smiley But it wasn't only the language, it was when I saw a friend programming games using it (and assembly) that I turned into a believer Smiley Segmented memory of 64k blocks and VGA 320*200 video mode ftw!
Offline theagentd
« Reply #44 - Posted 2012-02-29 09:15:39 »

I applaud it, Pascal is an excellent language to roll into programming IMO. certainly helped me to switch from hating programming to adoring programming Smiley But it wasn't only the language, it was when I saw a friend programming games using it (and assembly) that I turned into a believer Smiley Segmented memory of 64k blocks and VGA 320*200 video mode ftw!
Haha, I started programming by using SCAR which is based on Pascal. xD

Myomyomyo.
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 367
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #45 - Posted 2012-02-29 09:54:09 »

Actually now I come to think of it Pascal was the first language I was exposed to as well. It was quite an odd step backwards going to BASIC.
I do rather pity newbies having to navigate their way through Java as a first language though, it is rather complex.

Cas Smiley

Offline R.D.

« Reply #46 - Posted 2012-02-29 11:02:13 »

Ah well, it was okay. The only thing which sucked was the damn 64 KB cap. I had to shrink my first programm by reducing the length of the code xD (The programm was an english trainer, but it did not helped me much, it also included minigames to learn the language, snake eating english letters and stuff... Cheesy good old times)
Offline Preston

Medals: 4

« Reply #47 - Posted 2012-02-29 11:16:40 »

I started to program when this cute little ZX Spectrum 48K was released, this was in 1982 IIRC. Which means I too am programming now for about 30 years. Still I'm not very bright. But older!

And I've to say that programming these little home computers (first Sinclair's ZX Spectrum, then Amstrad's CPC, then later Acorn's Archimedes) was the best computer time ever for me. Not because back then it was just a hobby and today it's more of a profession, but because back then it was incredible fun to work in a restricted hardware and software "frame".
Today, when nearly everything goes concerning hardware and software, developer's tend to "get lost in ... infinity" what's concerning games. I mean, when I played Cholo for example, I was there in these dark vector towns with these frightening robots... because imagination filled all the gaps which the little 8bit hardware and software left plenty of, whilst today you see everything and your imagination has hardly any room to unfold (it's like with black-white Hitchcock movies which always use the audience's imagination).
Of course the Cholo remake on today's computers is pretty cool, too, because often "less is more" -- and that's why I just love Java Gaming with you retro inspired Java developers. (So many of these 4 K and bigger Java games are really fun.)

Of course programming in Java is one of the most comfortable and effective things I can imagine because I really can concentrate on the task which needs to be solved. Still, as Cas says, it's a good thing when you didn't start with a complex object orientated computer language... (is there anything cooler than pure ARM assembler, for example? Hardly, hehe!)
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #48 - Posted 2012-02-29 11:19:36 »

We at Puppygames subscribe to the restricted platform point of view, without the restrictions Wink We have the ability now to arbitrarily set our own restrictions, and then work within them - the best of both worlds!

Cas Smiley

Offline Preston

Medals: 4

« Reply #49 - Posted 2012-02-29 11:21:42 »

We at Puppygames subscribe to the restricted platform point of view, without the restrictions Wink We have the ability now to arbitrarily set our own restrictions, and then work within them - the best of both worlds!
You and your games came actually to my mind, when I posted.

Congratulations to you and your success in putting these two worlds together! That's a very rare skill these days, I think.
Offline Nyhm

Medals: 3

Island Forge

« Reply #50 - Posted 2012-02-29 15:32:16 »

Since AppleSoft BASIC on an Apple ][ c+ in the days of yore.

Island Forge: Create Islands with Stories for Others to Explore!
Free-to-Play with Membership and Upgrade options!
Offline gouessej
« Reply #51 - Posted 2012-02-29 17:23:40 »

I began programming at almost 6 years old at school (Basic). I had no money to buy a computer, my family is quite poor. I began programming a lot at about 15 when I bought a scientific pocket calculator (HP 48 GX). I suffer from eyestrain and intellectual overtiredness, my headaches become more and more frequent. I spend at least 12 hours a day in front of computer screens, mostly in programming. I had never imagined that it could become a problem. Maybe I should have a rest.

Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

Medals: 202

« Reply #52 - Posted 2012-02-29 17:27:00 »

Marathon coding sessions aren't that productive.  You spend six hours coding, three hours making boneheaded mistakes because you're worn out, and another three trying to fix those mistakes and probably introducing more.
Offline antelopeDJ

Projects: 2

Java Developer on the Weekends!

« Reply #53 - Posted 2012-02-29 17:44:18 »

A year overall, I'm still learning tonnes and I'm reading replies from people with 10-30 with similar indications. Coding is like a spoken language, you can never fully master it and you will always be learning. Even great authors like Shakespeare and Aldeous Huxley never fully grasped their language, which is the same sort of thing for coding.
Offline gouessej
« Reply #54 - Posted 2012-03-01 07:58:41 »

Marathon coding sessions aren't that productive.  You spend six hours coding, three hours making boneheaded mistakes because you're worn out, and another three trying to fix those mistakes and probably introducing more.

I don't really have the choice. I program about 8 hours a day at work. If I decided to program less, I would be forced to give up all open source projects  Sad However, I admit it is sometimes counterproductive, it would be worse if I spent much time at work.

Offline R.D.

« Reply #55 - Posted 2012-03-01 08:05:19 »

I work 8 hours too, but hell. Everyone knows it's bad to work on code this long without a break Shocked I make pause every 1 -2 hours and watch a video on Youtube or just browse the internet. Okay to be honest, it's just an intership but the other guys here do the same.
But I can understand what you mean. I have lose 3 hours every day just to get home or to work :/ And if I'm home I'm really tired but also what to do some coding on my projects.
Offline gouessej
« Reply #56 - Posted 2012-03-01 08:32:50 »

You're lucky. During my internship in a public administration, I discovered that the automatic clocking (in and off) system had been "modified" to avoid tacking into account all work hours after 6 o'clock... I make a pause at midday, I eat in 3 minutes. The other employees do like you, they make a pause every 2 hours to smoke or have a drink.

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 783
Projects: 4

Hand over your head.

« Reply #57 - Posted 2012-03-01 08:39:45 »

I make a pause at midday, I eat in 3 minutes.
If you want to keep a clear head, you should take a longer break than that. You're setting yourself up for a burnout.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline gimbal

JGO Knight

« Reply #58 - Posted 2012-03-01 12:50:55 »

I work 8 hours too, but hell. Everyone knows it's bad to work on code this long without a break Shocked I make pause every 1 -2 hours and watch a video on Youtube or just browse the internet.

I've begun to take a short break every 30 minutes now that I've been doing the programming trick for more than 10 years. That is because I take iterative development to the maximum, to me that is the only stable development process available. You can attempt to go on a coding rampage and write out code like you're billed by the line, but in those moments you don't give yourself time to reflect on that oh so important question: is this really a good idea?

It didn't happen while I was typing this piece of text, but there have been plenty of moments where taking a step back and waiting for things to sink in actually did help me to steer into the proper direction sooner rather than later Smiley The brain is weird, sometimes it needs to be distracted to get it to focus.
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #59 - Posted 2012-03-01 14:05:12 »

I spent a year on Revenge of the Titans doing an 8 hour day at Sony, then I'd come back and put in about 6 hours on the game, every night. And all weekend. I have to say, it nearly killed me and I am quite amazed at the incredible patience of my girlfriend because she believed in what I was doing (and this after seeing Droid Assault tank, too).

Cas Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

TehJavaDev (17 views)
2014-08-28 18:26:30

CopyableCougar4 (26 views)
2014-08-22 19:31:30

atombrot (39 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (36 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (33 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (22 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (33 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (68 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (45 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32

BurntPizza (36 views)
2014-08-08 02:01:56
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org