Games in Android Showcase (225)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (823)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  
  This ever happen to you?  (Read 9639 times)
Offline Christopher

Senior Devvie

Medals: 2
Projects: 1

« Posted 2012-02-23 13:32:18 »

So i work Thursday through to Sunday leaving me three days off. So for almost two days straight I pump line after line of code into my game. Then about 5.15pm i get a phone call from work,

"Where are you?"
"What do you mean where am I? Im at home on the computer."
"Well your shift started 5 minutes ago."
"What do you mean?"
"What day do you think it is?"

A hole frikken day.
How did i lose a whole frikken day?
Well i hope the coding gods are happy.

Offline gimbal

JGO Knight

Medals: 26

« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-02-23 15:36:39 »

So i work Thursday through to Sunday leaving me three days off. So for almost two days straight I pump line after line of code into my game. Then about 5.15pm i get a phone call from work,

"Where are you?"
"What do you mean?"

A hole frikken day.

You do eat, sleep and go to the bathroom, right!?
Offline theagentd
« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-02-23 18:27:45 »

Well, I have some kind of pseudo-week consisting of 6 days, since Friday to Sunday has kind of melted together... Does that count?

Myomyomyo.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Riven
Administrator

« JGO Overlord »

Medals: 1324
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #3 - Posted 2012-02-23 18:41:08 »

A hole frikken day.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings!
Offline UprightPath
« Reply #4 - Posted 2012-02-23 19:04:19 »

Dear lord.

Yes, I've had that happen. Many times. I know that I ate (There are plates around), I know I drank stuff (There are can stacks nearby), and I know I went to the bathroom (Because there is obviously none of that sort of waste in my vicinity). How these things came about? I don't know. Did I end up sleeping? If I did, I dreamed of code (Which happens with a distressing frequency).

Offline Christopher

Senior Devvie

« Reply #5 - Posted 2012-02-24 00:09:19 »

Dear lord.

Yes, I've had that happen. Many times. I know that I ate (There are plates around), I know I drank stuff (There are can stacks nearby), and I know I went to the bathroom (Because there is obviously none of that sort of waste in my vicinity). How these things came about? I don't know. Did I end up sleeping? If I did, I dreamed of code (Which happens with a distressing frequency).

You sir, know exactly what I am talking about. Days become measured in lines of code, not orbits of the Earth.

Offline UprightPath
« Reply #6 - Posted 2012-02-24 00:25:30 »

Or, days become measured in the number of times you ran your code and it did what you expected. Those become the milestones of your life, instead of those rather infrequent attempts to steal time to sleep from fingers and brain that still feel the need to lay out lines of code.

Dear lord, I've had FSM enter my dreams.

Offline Cero
« Reply #7 - Posted 2012-02-24 00:31:42 »

you guys need to get laid

srsly, programming is not supposed to be a drug D:

Offline Christopher

Senior Devvie

« Reply #8 - Posted 2012-02-24 00:35:40 »

Hey! I managed to go see my girlfriend during this stint  Tongue
I just have a horribly addictive personality.

One of those nights i went to bed at about 2 am with a problem still lingering. Some time later i get up and type a line of code in and it works. So im quite happy until I look at the time and its 4.30... I must have been subconsciously thinking about it for 2 and half hours. Just creepy.

Offline RylandAlmanza

Junior Devvie

Medals: 3

« Reply #9 - Posted 2012-02-24 00:46:41 »

My psychiatrist diagnosed me as "addicted to programming." I'm dead serious. No joke. I'm supposed to not use the computer for 90 days. Oh god, I'm on the computer!
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #10 - Posted 2012-02-24 00:52:52 »

Now we know what led to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTehdxIj0ZQ

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline UprightPath
« Reply #11 - Posted 2012-02-24 01:05:21 »

Oh, I certainly talk to/deal with my girlfriend and family.

In fact, I know that I got up during those periods and manage to be a fully formed and functioning example of a human being. I cooked food for the family, prepared lunches, went to the store. I know I did these things. I just don't remember doing any of this!

I do, however, know that I my TwoDimensionalArray class passed all of the unit tests I designed for it. xD

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #12 - Posted 2012-02-24 01:06:11 »

I do, however, know that I my TwoDimensionalArray class passed all of the unit tests I designed for it. xD
This one? int[][]  Pointing

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline Z-Man
« Reply #13 - Posted 2012-02-24 03:27:52 »

Or, days become measured in the number of times you ran your code and it did what you expected. Those become the milestones of your life, instead of those rather infrequent attempts to steal time to sleep from fingers and brain that still feel the need to lay out lines of code.

I don't know how you could go to bed with that problem nagging at you >_< it'd drive me crazy.

This one? int[][]  Pointing
lol Smiley
Offline UprightPath
« Reply #14 - Posted 2012-02-24 04:04:53 »

I went to sleep and dreamed of the world of Naruto. Where one of the bad guys had an FSM attack. It jumped from person to person, based on their interactions. If the person carrying it met me, it was neutralized. Or if they were killed from a distance. I spent the whole dream being an error state in an FSM.

And it was more complicated than that. It was an attempt to make a semi-efficient TwoDimensionalArray that allowed operations like copying, size checks, taking sub-sections and the like.

Offline gbeebe

Senior Devvie

Medals: 5

« Reply #15 - Posted 2012-02-24 04:17:54 »

I love it when the alarm clock goes off waking me up early, walk towards the bathroom to take a shower, pause for a sec... run back to the bedroom, grab my cellphone, pull up the calendar...  Today is my day off!   And I'm up before the kids are.  Time to get in some decent programming hours.  I love that feeling.  But then the wife comes down stairs shortly after and asks "Have you been on that thing all night long?"  

I do the whole laying in bed, plotting the next couple of procedures and coming up with solutions to problems, I've even coded in my sleep.  I remember waking up in the middle of the night thinking "that would totally work", but I never get up to type the code... If only I could type in my sleep.

When I was younger, I used to gauge what day it was based on the amount of code that I had.  I remember the feeling of sadness when a 3 day weekend was over and it seemed that I had accomplished squat.  Getting home from school and opening my math book to pull out a quiz that I had jotted pseudo code on the back of, to implement it.  A lot of my coding is done this way now.   I'll bring home, from work, drawings, diagrams, formulas, pseudo code, game maps, etc on blank paper swiped from the fax machine.  When the wife and kids are in bed it's code time.  Sometimes it'll be midnight and I tell myself "I can wrap this last bit up in a couple of minutes before bed" then when I get it done it's like 3:00.

I assume that I'm not alone, when deciding on a super power, I'd pick the ability to create a bubble around me with about a 6 foot radius.  Everything on the inside would work as normal, everything on the outside would be paused in time.  I could code forever and sleep as much as I want, and still have time to do the things that I must do.
Offline UprightPath
« Reply #16 - Posted 2012-02-24 04:29:37 »

Hmm, I'd add in something about not aging while in the bubble.

And yes, I've actually managed to put those wake-in-the-middle-of-the-night code instances to use. In fact, some chunks of code like that have made it into a multi-billion dollar company's hands.

Offline gbeebe

Senior Devvie

Medals: 5

« Reply #17 - Posted 2012-02-24 04:39:46 »

Hmm, I'd add in something about not aging while in the bubble.

Yea, I've thought about that too, but then I get into the physics behind it and deem it all impossible with the electricity outside being paused in time and not being able to reach the computer to make it work.
Offline Christopher

Senior Devvie

« Reply #18 - Posted 2012-02-24 07:06:37 »

Yea, I've thought about that too, but then I get into the physics behind it and deem it all impossible with the electricity outside being paused in time and not being able to reach the computer to make it work.

Clearly the bubble would be somewhat similar to Magneto's and charged with electricity.  Wink

I'll bring home, from work, drawings, diagrams, formulas, pseudo code, game maps, etc on blank paper swiped from the fax machine.

I do the same thing! All the problem solving logic is done, then you just get home and type it into the computer! And not to mention you got paid to do it  Grin

Offline gimbal

JGO Knight

« Reply #19 - Posted 2012-02-24 09:42:25 »

I just have a horribly addictive personality.

If you say so, I don't feel the addiction yet to be honest.

Or did you mean you are susceptible to addictions? Wink
Offline Christopher

Senior Devvie

« Reply #20 - Posted 2012-02-25 06:44:36 »

Yes, it seems I have to be perpetually addicted to at least one thing at any one point in my life. Right now its coding, which really doesn't rate that bad on the scale of things.

Offline JESTERRRRRR
« Reply #21 - Posted 2012-02-25 18:30:43 »

I get the same thing.. I become obsessed with a single skill. First it was freestyle nun-chucks, then guitar, now programming. I literally would spend 8 hour sessions without stop doing it, and guitar and nun-chucks I have become exceptional at. Often now I program for like 6 hours, and suddenly realise I don't know what day it is, where I am, what my schedule is for the next few days. I don't even know who is in the house with me, it's a weird feeling.
Offline antelopeDJ

Junior Devvie

Projects: 2

Java Developer on the Weekends!

« Reply #22 - Posted 2012-02-25 18:39:00 »

"Where are you?"
"What do you mean?"

A hole frikken day.

I can't say I've ever lost a day, but maybe about ten hours. I was playing Minecraft at 10PM and I thought to myself 'Time to go to bed now', 8AM next morning... WTF?!
Offline Christopher

Senior Devvie

« Reply #23 - Posted 2012-02-26 05:33:04 »

I get the same thing.. I become obsessed with a single skill. First it was freestyle nun-chucks, then guitar, now programming. I literally would spend 8 hour sessions without stop doing it, and guitar and nun-chucks I have become exceptional at. Often now I program for like 6 hours, and suddenly realise I don't know what day it is, where I am, what my schedule is for the next few days. I don't even know who is in the house with me, it's a weird feeling.

I am a composer for film and guitarist for many years now. I did the same thing with playing the guitar but nothing seems to make you lose track of reality quite like a coding binge.

Offline gimbal

JGO Knight

« Reply #24 - Posted 2012-02-28 12:17:56 »

I can't say I've ever lost a day, but maybe about ten hours. I was playing Minecraft at 10PM and I thought to myself 'Time to go to bed now', 8AM next morning... WTF?!

I think we can all testify to this happening at least once in our lives Wink Either playing a good game or being involved in a deep and satisfying conversation, time seems to go in hyperspeed Sad I've had it recently while playing Skyrim. The game is not as good as it is hyped to be (waaaaay too easy), but it is so darned beautiful I played it for nearly 8 hours straight the first day without even realizing it.
Offline deepthought
« Reply #25 - Posted 2012-03-01 17:03:18 »

sometimes if i listen to techno music while programming i'll go into a trance. then i'll end up with a working program. half the time i won't be able to figure out how i got it to work.

Mad Scientist
Offline UprightPath
« Reply #26 - Posted 2012-03-01 17:44:56 »

The more dangerous problem is when you're programming while driving. You're following the same road you do everyday, and you remember working over a problem in your head, perhaps bits of the scenery that popped up when you identified a good idea or mistake, but the rest of the way is just thoughts about the problem.

And you know that you did at least sixty the whole way back. That you survived. And that you have no clue what happened on the road between leaving and arriving.

Offline deepthought
« Reply #27 - Posted 2012-03-01 23:35:08 »

you program while you drive? i'm staying away from you on the highway. persecutioncomplex

the flying spaghetti monster?

I've never had strange dreams after coding, but i do when i haven't programmed in a while. I had one in which i was the guy in DOOM. the original, 320x200 256 color doom. the final boss was some sort flaming rabbit from hell with laserbeam eyes, and there was some sort of weapon that resembled the life leach from BLOOD. the funny thing was, i had never played blood yet. are these things some sort of geek racial memory?

Mad Scientist
Offline UprightPath
« Reply #28 - Posted 2012-03-02 00:00:05 »

Well, about 90% of the time where I drive, I'm alone on the road going down the high way. And it's a route I've driven several hundred times over the last few years. So it's like muscle memory now. xD

And no, Finite State Machine. It wasn't fun. I woke up more exhausted than when I went to bed.

And nope, I don't have any dreams around those games. I just have terrible Resident Evil + Fever Hallucination induced nightmares. xD

Offline evilfrenchguy

Junior Devvie

Medals: 3

« Reply #29 - Posted 2012-03-09 23:29:24 »

I just have terrible Resident Evil + Fever Hallucination induced nightmares. xD

Oh dear god...

I've never dreamt about code, but I fall asleep thinking about it all the time. You guys take it to a whole 'nother level though, haha.
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  

Ecumene (110 views)
2017-09-30 02:57:34

theagentd (144 views)
2017-09-26 18:23:31

cybrmynd (245 views)
2017-08-02 12:28:51

cybrmynd (241 views)
2017-08-02 12:19:43

cybrmynd (240 views)
2017-08-02 12:18:09

Sralse (254 views)
2017-07-25 17:13:48

Archive (872 views)
2017-04-27 17:45:51

buddyBro (1016 views)
2017-04-05 03:38:00

CopyableCougar4 (1573 views)
2017-03-24 15:39:42

theagentd (1373 views)
2017-03-24 15:32:08
List of Learning Resources
by elect
2017-03-13 14:05:44

List of Learning Resources
by elect
2017-03-13 14:04:45

SF/X Libraries
by philfrei
2017-03-02 08:45:19

SF/X Libraries
by philfrei
2017-03-02 08:44:05

SF/X Libraries
by SkyAphid
2017-03-02 06:38:56

SF/X Libraries
by SkyAphid
2017-03-02 06:38:32

SF/X Libraries
by SkyAphid
2017-03-02 06:38:05

SF/X Libraries
by SkyAphid
2017-03-02 06:37:51
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org