ignore  |  Print  
  Blue Saga  (Read 42775 times)
Offline skullbox

Senior Devvie

Medals: 10
Projects: 1

« Posted 2012-02-19 15:37:49 »

Hi everyone!

I'm developing a 2D rpg online game about pirates in Java, with the help of the LWJGL and Slick libraries (thanks Kevin Glass for the awesome tutorials). I've come a long way and here is video showing v0.4 of the game:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CUTgOy2LXzM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/CUTgOy2LXzM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>

About the game:
The game I'm making takes inspiration from Zelda, the One Piece anime and the Pokémon-games.
The main concept is you will have boats that enables you to travel the seas and discover new islands. You will have different reputations with the different creature families, making your actions change your options in what quests are open to you. You will be able to create pirate crews with friends, having a pirate flag of your own.  

Creatures:
There will be plenty of creatures in this game, and like in pokémon they will have their unique set of abilities and stat modifiers. All creatures can wear their own equipment, both players and monsters. Monsters can go from being aggro to give you quests depending on your reputation.

New intro added!

When creating a new character, a new intro is shown, which shows the background story of your character. So depending on which character you choose, it will be featured in the movie =D

New random bosses!

When a monster respawn there is a chance for it to become a "gloomy" with special powers depending on its color. In addition to that there is a small chance for it to become a colossus! These monsters are huuuge and have enormous power and mighty abilities which require whole crews to take them down. They also have a higher chance to drop rare loot.

New abilities with animations!
Added a new animation system so all abilities have their own animations which added a lot of fun to the gameplay.

All creatures now have butts!

Yes! Finally! Now you can see monster butts everywhere! This is not only a graphical improvement, but also a gameplay mechanic. Monster now have a sense of direction and can be sneaked when they are not looking, critical hits are dealt when backstabbing!

Crafting added!

Introduced the first crafting elements in the game, which lets you collect recipes and ingredients which then can be made into stuff at different crafting stations, like this duck making larva soup at a bonfire.

New areas and monsters added!
The map has expanded to the north where a wicked witch has taken control of its inhabitants. Be careful when exploring these lands.

Removed premium!
After a lot of feedback from players, I decided to remove the premium feature, so now emoticons and barber shop are free for all! If you want to support the game, you can always buy item skins.

Music released on spotify, itunes and plenty of other channels!
After many requests we have uploaded the music from the game on spotify, itunes and other channels so you can enjoy the music while not in the game.

New launcher
The updater now shows latest changes and has a nice background.

Offline elamre

JGO Coder

Medals: 17

hitar!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-02-19 15:41:35 »

This looks pretty neat! Cheesy

Im curious about further development of this project Smiley.
Also, just out of curiosity, are you using tcp or udp?

My projects:
Tower Defence!]http://www.java-gaming.org/topics/iconified/25690/view.html]Tower Defence! [lll.......] 30%!
Lightsnakerider! [llllll....] 60%!
Offline skullbox

Senior Devvie

« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-02-19 17:01:02 »

This looks pretty neat! Cheesy

Im curious about further development of this project Smiley.
Also, just out of curiosity, are you using tcp or udp?

Thanks!

It is TCP, just learned how to use Java sockets this christmas so I am quite new to network-programming, but all seems to work fine for the moment. I establish a connection between the server and client first, creating a thread for each client. Then the client has a listener for data sent from the server, and the server listens for data sent from the clients.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 355
Projects: 3
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #3 - Posted 2012-02-19 18:17:56 »

Wow the game already looks polished with neat, eye-catchy graphics! Did you draw everything yourself?

Offline antelopeDJ

Junior Devvie

Projects: 2

Java Developer on the Weekends!

« Reply #4 - Posted 2012-02-19 18:31:38 »

Wow... just wow. Keep up the impressive work man!
Offline skullbox

Senior Devvie

« Reply #5 - Posted 2012-02-19 19:50:28 »

Wow the game already looks polished with neat, eye-catchy graphics! Did you draw everything yourself?

Thanks! Yes I do the graphics myself in Photoshop Pencil Mode. I used to draw a lot before I started programming, I'm quite new to pixelart but I think I am getting better at it.

Wow... just wow. Keep up the impressive work man!

Thank you! I am working every hour of my free time on this, and I hope people will like it, if not I will listen to what you guys have to say and improve it.

Offline Christopher

Senior Devvie

Medals: 2

« Reply #6 - Posted 2012-02-19 23:32:15 »

This is looking great! Loving the art and the concept as whole.

Offline kevglass

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 195
Projects: 24
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #7 - Posted 2012-02-20 08:15:14 »

Superb work! Smiley Just watched the whole way through a video (rare for me) and it looks great. Also love that you're not afraid to show bugs as they're found - open development process ftw!

Cheers,

Kev

Offline EveningNewbs

Senior Newbie

« Reply #8 - Posted 2012-02-20 16:04:33 »

Looking really nice so far! I can't wait to try it out.
Offline skullbox

Senior Devvie

« Reply #9 - Posted 2012-02-20 17:06:56 »

This is looking great! Loving the art and the concept as whole.

Thank you! The concept is a bit vague so far, my goal is to make it centered around the creatures at first, like the pokémon games, but I am also inspired by the anime One Piece, where all pirates compete to get different treasures.
Then I have started working on the bounty-system that I can use for real interesting things later on I think.

Superb work! Smiley Just watched the whole way through a video (rare for me) and it looks great. Also love that you're not afraid to show bugs as they're found - open development process ftw!

Cheers,

Kev

Haha cool, yeah it's quite impossible to record a whole video without a nasty bug jumping out and tickling you.
Big fan of your work between!

Looking really nice so far! I can't wait to try it out.

Thanks! I will post a link to the client as soon as I have a more stable version and with a little bit more content.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline elamre

JGO Coder

Medals: 17

hitar!

« Reply #10 - Posted 2012-02-20 17:20:01 »

One thing though,
I understood from your video that you are sending the map and mob movement via the server. Wont you need quit a strong server+internetconnection if many people will join for this?  Yawn

My projects:
Tower Defence!]http://www.java-gaming.org/topics/iconified/25690/view.html]Tower Defence! [lll.......] 30%!
Lightsnakerider! [llllll....] 60%!
Offline skullbox

Senior Devvie

« Reply #11 - Posted 2012-02-20 19:01:04 »

One thing though,
I understood from your video that you are sending the map and mob movement via the server. Wont you need quit a strong server+internetconnection if many people will join for this?  Yawn

Since the world is split up into areas of 50x50 up to 150 x 150 tiles, I only send monster and player movements to players in the same area. The area is sent when entering the map. The monsters are moved once every 2 seconds if non-aggro, once every half second if aggro. So I think the amount of data is not much. But you're right, if I get a 1000 players on the same server then it will become a lot of data and my poor old mac mini won't be able to process all of it. I live in Sweden, so the internet connections are quite good. I have a 100 Mbit down and 10 Mbit up line at home. If that is not enough my brother has a 100/100 Mbit.

Offline Beamery

Senior Newbie

Medals: 1

« Reply #12 - Posted 2012-02-20 19:03:51 »

Wow that artstyle looks great!  Keep up the good work!
Offline skullbox

Senior Devvie

« Reply #13 - Posted 2012-02-20 21:22:57 »

Wow that artstyle looks great!  Keep up the good work!

Thanks! Got some feedback on the roof of the tavern, it looks more like a brick wall, will fix that.

Offline skullbox

Senior Devvie

« Reply #14 - Posted 2012-02-22 19:23:05 »

Working on a system to show off your crew to other players without making the screen to busy when there are many players around. My idea is that the crewmembers are hidden by default, but when holding shift, the crewmembers are shown. If you're standing still, the crewmembers are standing around the captain, but if you move, they follow the captain like a cute little snake.

Here is a video showing it in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoOuMKXdSg0

Offline RylandAlmanza

Junior Devvie

Medals: 3

« Reply #15 - Posted 2012-02-22 19:32:42 »

Looks so good! Let me play!
Offline Nyhm

Senior Devvie

Island Forge

« Reply #16 - Posted 2012-02-25 19:41:26 »

Wow! Super-keen. I was immediately hooked by the look. Can't wait to give it a try, and see where you're going with the gameplay.

Island Forge: Create Islands with Stories for Others to Explore!
Free-to-Play with Membership and Upgrade options!
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #17 - Posted 2012-02-26 03:06:07 »

Neat! love the art.

Offline skullbox

Senior Devvie

« Reply #18 - Posted 2012-02-29 17:48:05 »

Wow! Super-keen. I was immediately hooked by the look. Can't wait to give it a try, and see where you're going with the gameplay.
Neat! love the art.
Looks so good! Let me play!

Thanks!

I'm currently struggling with the dungeon generator, but I think I am gonna skip my solution.
I have looked at Kevglass's dungeon generator and it seems nice, I just can't figure out how the walls are placed. I get the rooms with floors and I can see where the doors are located. But when I place walls at the outer tiles of the room, the doors don't align well with the room. Oh well, I will try some more. and post a screenshot if I succeed.

Offline skullbox

Senior Devvie

« Reply #19 - Posted 2012-03-03 16:16:50 »

Done some more work on the game:
- Added a dungeon generator for Sewers
- Updated the user interface for a more pixelated look
- Fixed a whole bunch of serious bugs related to the battle system
- Added colors to the battle-log so you can easier see what afflicts your creatures and the enemies
- Changed the perspective indoors, instead of zelda wt*-perspective I chose top-down so it fits the creatures better

Here is a screen of the updated UI in the battle screen:

Darkened the sewers, no real lightning at the moment, just a glow to make the field of vision smaller and the dungeon more scary to explore:

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #20 - Posted 2012-03-04 03:57:16 »

Oh yeah, dungeon! Grin

Offline RylandAlmanza

Junior Devvie

« Reply #21 - Posted 2012-03-04 03:58:43 »

I can't wait for this to be released! Cheesy
Offline davidllanos22

Junior Devvie

Projects: 2

I'm just a learner!

« Reply #22 - Posted 2012-03-06 12:16:37 »

The battle GUI looks great! Wink

Offline skullbox

Senior Devvie

« Reply #23 - Posted 2012-03-22 17:16:53 »

Sorry for the lack of updates on the development of the game. I am actually working real hard on it trying to finish up a closed alpha testing with friends this weekend. I am going to try and host a game with 10-15 players and see how it turns out.

Having these smaller deadlines is really healthy for the project since it really makes me work harder, tying up loose ends in the game concept and fixing bugs.

I have now added 3 sewer levels and 3 catacombs levels. Finished up the plains to the north of the village with some monsters and a mini-boss. I will also add a larger boss at the bottom of the catacombs with a treasure.

Implemented a first serious version of the damage calculator taking into account all the stats of the attacker and the defender.

A story has started to form in my head as well, making the setting of the world. Since it is inspired by the anime One Piece it takes place during a great pirate age, where everyone is trying to find mighty lost treasures from far away times. One legend tells of a demon pirate that was so strong that he defeated each single one of the ancient behemoths, collecting artefacts from each of their bodies. It is said that these artefacts contain special powers that gives it's owner special abilities. This would explain the ability orb system that I want to use.

Throughout the game world there will be checkpoint fountains as there usually are in rpgs and other adventure games, but I wanted to find a nice explanation for them so here goes one alternative:

There is an old legend saying that whenever the demon pirate stayed for a longer time at the same place, his tremendous force got absorbed by the earth. It is said that you can still feel it at specific spots. Pirates trying to follow the demon in it's footsteps have built fountains at these markings, letting the water channel the energy. Some proclaim that if you drink the water of such a fountain, you feel reenergized. There has even been witnesses of fallen warriors resurrecting near these sources.

So that is what I have been up to, apart from that I have started working on a website for the game, and I will finish it up together with the bugs and requests I will get from the testing this weekend. After that I will be collecting names of those who are interested for another bigger testing, trying to expand the game to host around 50 players and see how it holds up.

Offline skullbox

Senior Devvie

« Reply #24 - Posted 2012-03-23 18:05:29 »

Made a first story slide for the intro of the game:

I made it in two steps, first a free drawn with the mouse to get the shapes right, then minimized it to just 100 pixels in width. Then I corrected the pixels and colored it looking like this:

Then finally just scaled it up. It is not the best looking, but I like it and it didn't take that much time to do  Smiley

Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

Medals: 202

« Reply #25 - Posted 2012-03-23 18:12:29 »

I like the theme.  Davey Jones is a piker, Cthulhu is the one you really better not call "squid-face" in front of him Smiley
Offline skullbox

Senior Devvie

« Reply #26 - Posted 2012-05-12 23:22:33 »

Havn't posted in a while, but I can assure you that I am working everyday on this and here is a screenshot showing the progress:

Added features
- PvP works
- Shoot projectiles
- Added lightning effects on projectiles in dark areas (sewers, dungeons...)
- Tiles can get damaged
- Monsters drop loot on the ground, and can get picked up
- shared XP from kills, is distributed to those who have dealt damage (%)
- Abilities and stats system are set now, existing monsters have been balanced a bit
- Actionbar with abilities
- Cooldown on abilities
- Potions are automatically stacked on the actionbar (will add drag n drop later)

Had a bigger testing with friends that went well (10 people approx.), but that was with the old final fantasy turn-based battle system.
I have changed so battles takes place in real-time on the same screen like more regular online games. I changed because of the pvp and to have larger battles going on with several players at the same time. And now that you can shoot projectiles while running gives the game more action and skill is rewarded, it is a lot more fun too =)

My brother and I are testing the game constantly to find bugs and make it more stable. I will try and figure out how to embed this on a web page so I can let you test it more easily.

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #27 - Posted 2012-05-13 03:19:20 »

Looks better. Hope you finish it soon and include desktop version also Wink

Offline skullbox

Senior Devvie

« Reply #28 - Posted 2012-05-13 17:01:34 »

Looks better. Hope you finish it soon and include desktop version also Wink

Yes there will be desktop versions for both mac and pc, perhaps a browser version won't work since the resolution is 1024 x 640, that wouldn't fit in a browser window on my 13" laptop.

Offline skullbox

Senior Devvie

« Reply #29 - Posted 2012-07-12 07:05:26 »

Changed the name of the game to "Blue Saga", "Blue" representing the oceans you will travel as a player and pirate, "Saga" for the adventures you will experience.

New things added to the game:
- When moving to the edge of a map, the camera stops following the player so that you start moving to the edge of the screen
- Skill system in place, now you earn skill points (SP) when using skills effectively, this will level up your skill eventually, making it possible for you to equip better weapon requiring that skill or use more powerful magic
- Added a spell shop where you acquire new spells
- Ability system works now, with instant abilities, sticky abilities and more
- You see stat changes when equipping items and see info about them (see screenshot)
- Monsters can use abilities now
- Added a range for abilities, so you can't cast spells across the whole screen, different abilities have different ranges

Made a site for the game:
www.bluesaga.org

Need to make a newer video to put on the site, since the game has changed quite a bit since the battles are not turn-based anymore.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  ignore  |  Print  

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

trollwarrior1 (27 views)
2014-11-22 12:13:56

xFryIx (69 views)
2014-11-13 12:34:49

digdugdiggy (48 views)
2014-11-12 21:11:50

digdugdiggy (42 views)
2014-11-12 21:10:15

digdugdiggy (36 views)
2014-11-12 21:09:33

kovacsa (60 views)
2014-11-07 19:57:14

TehJavaDev (64 views)
2014-11-03 22:04:50

BurntPizza (62 views)
2014-11-03 18:54:52

moogie (77 views)
2014-11-03 06:22:04

CopyableCougar4 (77 views)
2014-11-01 23:36:41
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org