Games in Android Showcase (107)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (534)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  ASE loader and objects  (Read 2275 times)
Offline goosebump

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Posted 2003-11-16 11:35:24 »

I like to use xith3d for my project and I am creating my scenes which can be exported as ASE files. I know that the GROUP feature is not implemented which is a bit of problem but I try to get round it.

But, once I load my scene (as ASE) into the world, can I then move around individual objects that I have in the ASE progarmaticaly?

For example, if I have a ball, how can I start moving it using cursor keys?

goosebump
Offline Jens

Java for games!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2003-11-16 11:49:39 »

Yes you can move parts of a model. You can give parts of the model names when you create them. These names can be retrieved by using the method AseFile.getNamedNodes(). The nodes are BranchGroups, so you can insert TransformGroups or whatever you want as parents of them in the scenegraph. Have a look at the tutorial about geometry loaders.

I don't understand the example with the ball, because the ball is a model on its own, isn't it?

Xith3D Getting Started Guide (PDF,HTML,Source)
Offline goosebump

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #2 - Posted 2003-11-16 11:58:08 »

Thanks, I check out the tutorial. Regarding ball, ASE is normally used to export the whole scene including many models in it (its too heavweight to use for a simple model like a ball which should really be a primitive).
I have many objects in the scene that I want to move around.

If the practice is to export each as ASE, then can you load multiple ASE's into the same world? If yes, then how do you link them to the universe?

goosebump
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline goosebump

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #3 - Posted 2003-11-16 11:59:29 »

Is there a tutorial on how to move objects around in xith?

g.
Offline Jens

Java for games!

« Reply #4 - Posted 2003-11-16 12:43:13 »

Is there a tutorial on how to move objects around in xith?

g.

Yes, there's a section about interaction in the Getting Started Guide. If you have some time, download the PDF-version of the GSG (see my signature for links) and read through the sections.

Offline Jens

Java for games!

« Reply #5 - Posted 2003-11-16 12:56:01 »

Thanks, I check out the tutorial. Regarding ball, ASE is normally used to export the whole scene including many models in it (its too heavweight to use for a simple model like a ball which should really be a primitive).
I have many objects in the scene that I want to move around.

Why do you think ASE is "heavyweight"? I'm not sure if there is really such a significant difference between having several small ASE models and one large model. If you have the same materials several times, you save some bytes. What are other advantages?

If the practice is to export each as ASE, then can you load multiple ASE's into the same world? If yes, then how do you link them to the universe?

It's up to the programmer if he wants to have several small ASE files or one large file. Xith3D supports both. Loading several ASE files is easy, because you can insert them as BranchGroups in the scenegraph.

Offline goosebump

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #6 - Posted 2003-11-16 21:58:43 »

Great, I checked out your tutorial on interaction and its pretty good. My reluctance to use ASE for small models is that each ASE file carries a lot of scene information as we all as the model information. So you end up getting rid of a lot of stuff. I guess you dont have to read it all and this is one way of stream lining it. But If we had something like Milkshape model, then we only carry the model information.

Anyways its good that I can load up multiple ASE's and put them all in the same Scenegraph as branchgroups.

How easy is it to add a terrain to the scenegraph?
goosebump
Offline Jens

Java for games!

« Reply #7 - Posted 2003-11-17 06:42:59 »

Great, I checked out your tutorial on interaction and its pretty good. My reluctance to use ASE for small models is that each ASE file carries a lot of scene information as we all as the model information. So you end up getting rid of a lot of stuff. I guess you dont have to read it all and this is one way of stream lining it. But If we had something like Milkshape model, then we only carry the model information.

The xith-tk (sub)project hosts various loaders for Xith3D. If you need an md3 loader you have to search this forum a bit.

How easy is it to add a terrain to the scenegraph?

It depends on if you need random generated terrain or static terrain. For the first case there's a demo in the Xith3D source. For the latter one I guess you create a large model file and load it. (I think performance wise you need octree or something.) Terrain following is not implemented in Xith3D currently. I'd like to have more information (e.g. a demo/tutorial) about this myself. Would be great if someone, who has already made some experience, could do this.  Roll Eyes

Offline goosebump

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #8 - Posted 2003-11-17 10:48:37 »

Thanks for that. I saw a few loaders there which are good to use. I tried to download the AC3D loader but there is a problem and the file can not be found. I wonder if the link is broken.

On the terrain stuff, I really like the "terrain following" which I guess uses some kind of collision detection, but have not done one myself  Huh. So I guess the terrain example (which I havent run at the moment) has no collision detection and you can basically go through the terrain (I mean to the other side of it).

goosebump
Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Projects: 2

Fire at will

« Reply #9 - Posted 2003-11-18 02:47:02 »

You really should run the demo - it does have terrain following.

Since it's JWS enabled - running it is not much more than a click...  Goto http://xith.org/demo/

Did you download the AC3D loader from here: https://xith-tk.dev.java.net/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=403 ?

The very nice thing I find with ASE files is the ability to load them in a text editor and edit them (good when the loader doesn't support groups, or for removing absolute paths).

Will.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

Medals: 120
Projects: 23
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #10 - Posted 2003-11-18 05:55:47 »

As a side note, AC3D and OBJ are both text editable also. Smiley

Kev

Offline endolf

JGO Coder

Medals: 7

Current project release date: sometime in 3003

« Reply #11 - Posted 2003-11-18 06:15:36 »

I tried to download the AC3D loader but there is a problem and the file can not be found. I wonder if the link is broken.

Hi
 The zip file had the wrong permissions, fixed it now.

Cheers

Endolf

Offline goosebump

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #12 - Posted 2003-11-18 09:32:22 »

You really should run the demo - it does have terrain following.

Great, it does have terrain following. I wonder if I can put an object in the world say a box and then move the box round the terrain and see how it behaves.

The zip file had the wrong permissions, fixed it now.

Thanks for fixing it, I have now downloaded the file.
goosebump
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

pw (35 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (33 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (21 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (24 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16

ctomni231 (55 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21

Zero Volt (47 views)
2014-07-17 23:47:54

danieldean (38 views)
2014-07-17 23:41:23

MustardPeter (43 views)
2014-07-16 23:30:00

Cero (59 views)
2014-07-16 00:42:17

Riven (56 views)
2014-07-14 18:02:53
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org