games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Scalife  (Read 2062 times)
Offline sproingie
« Posted 2012-02-15 21:42:44 »

It's Conway's Life, nothing special and it's mostly just a place for me to noodle around with scala, TWL, and tile rendering while I procrastinate on working on a real project.  Just thought I'd put it out here anyway.  It uses a background graphic from the TWL demo because I thought it looked kind of keen, but is otherwise kind of minimalist.

Source: https://github.com/chuckadams/scalife/

Controls: You can use the buttons above, and sorry, that's all the mouse control there is for now.  R to randomize, C to clear, Enter to pause/unpause.  You can increase the FPS with + and decrease it with -.  While paused, use the arrow keys to move the cursor, space to toggle a cell, S to run a single step.  Tab will toggle between the two UI layouts.

For the impatient who do just want to try it out, I have it all wrapped up in one executable jar http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52548846/scalife.jar (yes, it's 12.5 megs, I haven't figured out how to combine proguard and one-jar).

Obligatory screenie (showing 10 fps because pause locks FPS at 10):

Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 322
Projects: 2
Exp: 4 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-02-15 22:35:06 »

Ooooh very slick and cool. What is the difference between purple and blue cells?

Also, it's 12.5MB because....of the entire....8MB scala library in there Cranky *kicks sproingie out of java-gaming.org Grin*

Offline sproingie
« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-02-15 23:02:25 »

Light blue cells (cyan actually) are newly-born this generation, and turn dark blue afterward.  Purely visual difference I put in to experiment with alternate Tile constructors (here).  I just liked the effect so I kept it.  I had a "just died" tile at one time that made cells sorta fade out but it looked too messy so I dropped it.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #3 - Posted 2012-02-16 04:00:00 »

I need some time to grab 12mb first Grin

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print