Games in Android Showcase (110)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (547)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Flynn Gordon - Yet another Space-Shooter-Beginner-Project :)  (Read 8420 times)
Offline BenniBanni

Medals: 2
Projects: 2

« Posted 2012-01-19 14:27:09 »

Hi all!

Being an business-application-developer for some years (*yawn*) my curiosity about game-development started to get overwhelming last year.
So i started to try to develop some basic game-concepts in various languages and game.types for fun.
My current little project (using Java this time) is called "Flynn Gordon" (the grand-grand-grand-nephew of Flash Gordon, of course)

UPDATE March 11, 2012:  
http://www.schansky.at/flynngordon/0.6.1/

You can play the previous versions here:
http://www.schansky.at/flynngordon/0.6/
http://www.schansky.at/flynngordon/0.5.1/
(or if you want to visit my humble dev-blog: http://flynngordon.tumblr.com/ )

I'd be happy about any comments/suggestions Smiley

Offline BenniBanni

« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-01-19 14:30:37 »

Oh, i forgot something!

SoundFX are currently turned off by default... so, its office-friendly Wink

You can enable Sounds in the Options-Menu...
Offline Nyhm

Medals: 3
Projects: 1

Island Forge

« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-01-19 14:40:19 »

Fun! Control is solid. Graphics look good. I like the enemy ship behavior.

I turned on SFX but didn't hear anything (I'm in Ubuntu Linux with IcedTea Firefox plugin (OpenJDK). Otherwise the applet ran great (reporting 60fps).

Regarding gameplay, is there any strategic reason I'd want to pick up a single-shot "powerup" when I already have a tripple-shot?

EDIT: I realize that lack of sound is because I was running another sound application. I've also discovered this with my game in Linux. It seems that the Java sound API tries to grab the "raw" audio device instead of the proper mixer. If any other sound application is running, it can't get the sound device. If it does get the device, then other system sounds won't work until it gives it up. I haven't found a reliable way of obtaining the proper mixer. This does not seem to be a problem in Windows (MacOS?).

Island Forge: Create Islands with Stories for Others to Explore!
Free-to-Play with Membership and Upgrade options!
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline BenniBanni

« Reply #3 - Posted 2012-01-19 15:00:14 »

Thanx Smiley

Good point. I'm not quite sure about the powerups yet...

Currently there are 3 types of weapons available to the player.
Every weapon has its own shoot-frequency, which is increased by collecting the right type of power-up. Collecting a powerup switches the ship to that kind of weapon.
So if you previously collected many singleshoot-powerups and catch one tripleshoot, you may want to return to single (because you can fire more often...)

Maybe I'll change the weapon-powerups to
- add one laser (single - double - tripple - one backwards - etc.)
- add one bullet (increase fire-frequency)
so that collecting powerups always makes you better...

No Sound.. hm... ok. I'll have a look at it.

The render-loop (ticks-based) is currently set to 60fps... Smiley
Offline Nyhm

Island Forge

« Reply #4 - Posted 2012-01-19 15:32:48 »

See my edit above regarding Java sound in Linux.

I tend to like this type of game. Is there a name for this genre? Qualities are: Flying around (usually in a space ship), blasting enemies, picking up powerups. It's like Asteroids on steroids. This does not include games like Space Invaders or Galaga, because the ship is fixed. I would include oldies such as Maelstrom and Subspace. Similar are games like R-Type/1942 (even though strictly side/top-scrolling), because of the same powerup model. Less similar, but with same powerup model, are platformers like Contra.

Some of these games (Maelstrom) included "bad" powerups to make you think before grabbing them. Others (R-Type) only include good powerups, but with strategic differences. I look forward to seeing what you add.

Offline lincore

Senior Newbie

Medals: 1

« Reply #5 - Posted 2012-01-19 17:44:23 »

Moin,
twas fun to play although the ship seems to be a bit too slow. Personally, I'd probably scale the sprites up quite a bit to tighten up gameplay and make space more valuable... especially space that is not currently occupied by deadly projectiles. Apart from that I feel the background is too dominant and shouldn't be as bright. The "boss-fight" was cool although more of a chore than a challange as it refused to die in reasonable time :~)

Still, five minutes of my life well spent. Thanks for sharing and good luck!

I tend to like this type of game. Is there a name for this genre?

AFAIK games like these are just called Shoot'em Ups... Maybe you should have a look at Tyrian if you don't know it already: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/tyrian_2000
Offline Sultan_GS

Senior Newbie

« Reply #6 - Posted 2012-01-19 23:20:09 »

Its really nice Smiley Its more my speed of Asteroids Tongue I hated the physics on that game Sad
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #7 - Posted 2012-01-20 04:36:40 »

Nice art you got there Cheesy kinda hard at later level, bullets rain.

Offline Apo
« Reply #8 - Posted 2012-01-20 09:38:04 »

Nice game.

I like the graphic style, but it's imho way to slow. Furthermore I want to shoot whenever I press space. =)
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #9 - Posted 2012-01-20 14:39:44 »

I wonder how you draw the background, it's so eyecatching.

Looks like there's bad powerup, I picked it and my double shot became one.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline BenniBanni

« Reply #10 - Posted 2012-01-20 15:11:30 »

@ReBirth: i found it on one of these "free wallpaper"-sites... but some days ago i figured out who originally made it: http://casperium.deviantart.com/gallery/5748580

I'll ask her if i'm allowed to use it... Smiley

@All: Thanks for all your comments, they make me smile Grin
Offline BenniBanni

« Reply #11 - Posted 2012-01-22 10:24:17 »

I just made a little update and added some eye-candy to the background: parallax-scolling nebulas Smiley
Have a look here: http://www.schansky.at/flynngordon/0.5.1/

I'm still not sure which powerup-system is better, what do you think:
1: powerups are always improvements
- add one laser (single - double - tripple - one backwards - etc.)
- add one bullet (increase fire-frequency)
2: single weapon-powerups
- will increase firepower for the specific weapon
- "powerups" can decrease your ships firepower (triple-laser to single-laser)

What do you think about a "shop" between the stages, where you can configure your ships equipment for the next stage?
So instead of collecting weapon-powerups, you'd collect credits and can spend them in the shop for better lasers Smiley
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #12 - Posted 2012-01-22 12:06:40 »

You better add both type of powerups Grin for shop you can do it by creating a state for "shop" and a class to hold info like your balance to be read by multiple states.

Offline BenniBanni

« Reply #13 - Posted 2012-01-22 12:24:13 »

Hm. Maybe I'll add a shop for *mega-powerups* with limited ammo, like smartbombs or a black-hole-generators, or tachyon-throwers...
Gotta google for some trekkie-dictionaries Grin
Offline BenniBanni

« Reply #14 - Posted 2012-01-29 20:12:26 »

The powerups are now replaced by the shop-idea  Grin

The Aliens drop "energy-packs" upon destruction, which you can use in your ship to activate another laser-mount, or upgrade the "pulse-generator" (aka bullet-frequency) or repair your shield.

This "shop" is accessible after each level (when you press fire in the bonustime-screen)

What do you think of it?

http://www.schansky.at/flynngordon/0.6/
Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #15 - Posted 2012-01-30 21:14:43 »

The background (as impressive as it looks) distracts too much from the actual game IMHO. Try to make it two or three tads darker, so that one could spot enemies and enemy bullets easier.

Offline aazimon
« Reply #16 - Posted 2012-02-01 19:51:17 »

Nice imagery. When I died, the "A" button didn't restart the game.
Offline Nyhm

Island Forge

« Reply #17 - Posted 2012-02-02 03:08:37 »

I like the new version - I've always been a sucker for any game with an upgrade shop between levels. (I agree with others that background is distracting.)

Sometimes when I go to the applet page, it just shows me a gray rectangle. Other times it works. It probably has something to do with IcedTea plugin for Firefox (in Ubuntu).

Offline BenniBanni

« Reply #18 - Posted 2012-02-02 08:26:21 »

When I died, the "A" button didn't restart the game.

Hm, yes... its the "R"-Button... but in the "A" and "R" are quite similar in the used font..
I'll add the "A" to the "restart"-event Smiley
Offline dishmoth
« Reply #19 - Posted 2012-02-06 21:15:35 »

That's shaping up as a nice little game.  I like the ambition of it: boss fights, weapon upgrade shop, etc.

Some things that could maybe be tweaked:

- The player's bullets move annoyingly slowly.  I don't know whether there's something in the upgrade shop that speeds them up.  (It wasn't obvious to me what some of the upgrades actually did.  If I hadn't read about the "pulse generator" above I wouldn't have guessed its meaning.)

- The enemy bullets are quite hard to see.  How about making them bigger or brighter (or darken the background, as Egon suggested)?

- Upgrading the ship so that it has more guns doesn't seem to help much since the bullets just form a big clump.  How about changing the guns' angles so the bullets spread out a bit?

- Collision detection could be a little more precise.  It felt like the collision boxes were a bit bigger than they needed to be (although it probably doesn't matter much if the game is frantic enough).

Is there a name for this genre?
I'd call it a "vertically scrolling shoot 'em up", and so would Wikipedia. Wink

Simon

Offline Nyhm

Island Forge

« Reply #20 - Posted 2012-02-06 21:26:55 »

I'd call it a "vertically scrolling shoot 'em up", and so would Wikipedia. Wink
Simon

Technically, this is not a sroller, because there's no actual scrolling. Yes, the background slides past, but that's just visual. There's nothing in the gameplay that interacts with anything scrolling. So, it's a static shoot 'em up (like Space Invaders, except that the ship has two degrees of freedom). Just a pedantic clarification.

Simon, in the upgrade shop you can rotate the guns. I usually just set the flanking turrets one unit left/right to get the standard spread fire pattern. With three guns blazing, the enemies usually don't even have time to shoot before they're roasted.

Offline dishmoth
« Reply #21 - Posted 2012-02-07 07:07:35 »

Simon, in the upgrade shop you can rotate the guns.
I noticed that option, but it didn't seem to do anything.  Game instructions need to be very clear to be understood by someone as stupid as me. Tongue

Offline BenniBanni

« Reply #22 - Posted 2012-02-07 09:49:58 »

That's shaping up as a nice little game.  I like the ambition of it: boss fights, weapon upgrade shop, etc.

Thanks Smiley

- The player's bullets move annoyingly slowly.  I don't know whether there's something in the upgrade shop that speeds them up.  (It wasn't obvious to me what some of the upgrades actually did.  If I hadn't read about the "pulse generator" above I wouldn't have guessed its meaning.)

Good point.
The "pulse generator" increases the frequency of bullets.
I think I'll add the possibility to upgrade the lasers (more speed, more damage)

- The enemy bullets are quite hard to see.  How about making them bigger or brighter (or darken the background, as Egon suggested)?

Hm..I dont know what to think about darkening the background, its so nice... Smiley
I'll try to give the bullets more contrast.
If that wont work, I'll set the background darker...

Simon, in the upgrade shop you can rotate the guns.
I noticed that option, but it didn't seem to do anything.  Game instructions need to be very clear to be understood by someone as stupid as me. Tongue

Good point too... a help-text in the upgrade-shop should fix that Smiley

- Collision detection could be a little more precise.  It felt like the collision boxes were a bit bigger than they needed to be (although it probably doesn't matter much if the game is frantic enough).

Currently it checks the dimensions of the images (rectangle)

Technically, this is not a sroller, because there's no actual scrolling. Yes, the background slides past, but that's just visual. There's nothing in the gameplay that interacts with anything scrolling. So, it's a static shoot 'em up (like Space Invaders, except that the ship has two degrees of freedom). Just a pedantic clarification.

Would this be a good addition to gameplay? Undestroyable objects, like asteroids or space-trash, which the player has to avoid? I'll think about it. Should be fairly easy to implement...
Offline Nyhm

Island Forge

« Reply #23 - Posted 2012-02-07 14:27:18 »

Would this be a good addition to gameplay? Undestroyable objects, like asteroids or space-trash, which the player has to avoid? I'll think about it. Should be fairly easy to implement...

My vote would be no. Running into things (other than enemy ships) is annoying. In something like R-Type, it's part of the gameplay, but I'd stick with the non-obstacle approach (ala 1942) for this game.

Or, how a bout a "lighting round" between every few levels. Make it all about maneuvering to get through a "hyperspace tunnel" without hitting the sides (no enemies). Sprinkle some "coins" in the track, so you can powerup afterward.

Offline Nyhm

Island Forge

« Reply #24 - Posted 2012-02-25 20:11:17 »

I know this is quite a delayed reply, but just wanted to report that your applet works much better for me with the Oracle Java Plug-In for Firefox than the OpenJDK-IcedTea plugin in Ubuntu. I can even hear the sound effects!

I'll post elsewhere how I switched the plugin (without entirely changing the installed Java package in Ubuntu)...

Offline BenniBanni

« Reply #25 - Posted 2012-03-11 12:02:08 »

After months without development, here is an little update of the game:
http://www.schansky.at/flynngordon/0.6.1/

I added a nicer status-bar at the top (showing score, bonustime, energy, and shield-status).
The alien-bullets are now brighter and bigger.
The player-bullets move a bit faster.
And there are help-texts in the shop Smiley

Thanks for all your feedback!
Offline joeyismusic

« Reply #26 - Posted 2012-03-11 12:16:54 »

Very fun!
I was a little disappointed when my game didn't revert back to a check point or something when I died!! =[
Also, I wish you offered a 2x scaled version (200% bigger) because it is a very tiny screen space.

Finally, the green things you can collect from destroying enemy ships should stay on screen just a tiny bit longer before disappearing off the edge.
Offline Nyhm

Island Forge

« Reply #27 - Posted 2012-03-11 13:11:22 »

I was happy to see a new version of Flynn Gordon. I like the updates. The status bar at the top is very keen.

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #28 - Posted 2012-03-12 12:21:48 »

I was tricked Grin I though it uses perfect collision. On large space ship it can be misunderstood.

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

atombrot (26 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (24 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (23 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (13 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (20 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (58 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (38 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32

BurntPizza (30 views)
2014-08-08 02:01:56

Norakomi (37 views)
2014-08-06 19:49:38

BurntPizza (67 views)
2014-08-03 02:57:17
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org