Games in Showcase (576)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (497)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  
  Game Graphics Style Opinions  (Read 5431 times)
Offline SkyAphid

Medals: 3
Projects: 1

« Posted 2012-01-15 20:19:57 »

I'm developing a game, that's probably obvious by now. It's going to a fusion of the three games in the title of this thread.

Essentially right now, I want some feedback on this screenshot.

Those are two screenshots from the same game engine, but both are representing the players dorm in a different graphical style.

One, is the sketched out dorm:

and the other is a pixelated/normal graphics room:

(Note the green borders are collision boxes that will be invisible in the final game)

Which is better looking? Note these are placeholders, they don't represent the final versions, but they do represent the styles.

“Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else. The trick is the doing something else.” ~Leonardo da Vinci
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 322
Projects: 2
Exp: 4 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-01-15 20:42:47 »

I don't know if it's just me, but I think the sketched out one feels much more....professional than the bottom one Smiley

Offline SkyAphid

« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-01-15 21:06:44 »

I don't know if it's just me, but I think the sketched out one feels much more....professional than the bottom one Smiley

I don't know if that's sarcasm, or you're being serious. lol.

Just to clarify, the final one won't look that bad.

“Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else. The trick is the doing something else.” ~Leonardo da Vinci
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline lordberzerker97

Senior Newbie

« Reply #3 - Posted 2012-01-15 21:25:45 »

What kind of game is it? Is it a click based game or do you use arrowkeys to move around?
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #4 - Posted 2012-01-15 21:28:26 »

I'm being completely serious Smiley

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 12

Game Engineer

« Reply #5 - Posted 2012-01-15 21:29:11 »

What kind of game is it? Is it a click based game or do you use arrowkeys to move around?
I agree that's a good question. One major advantage of tile-based games (the second one) is that it's really clear to the user how their character moves around and what they can interact with. The sketched version would be a little more difficult to know when you're colliding with something and when you're not.

I agree though that the first image is more unique and interesting, but sketching everything would be a huge time suck - going tile based allows you to reuse assets to the max.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline SkyAphid

« Reply #6 - Posted 2012-01-15 21:48:15 »

I agree that's a good question. One major advantage of tile-based games (the second one) is that it's really clear to the user how their character moves around and what they can interact with. The sketched version would be a little more difficult to know when you're colliding with something and when you're not.

I agree though that the first image is more unique and interesting, but sketching everything would be a huge time suck - going tile based allows you to reuse assets to the max.

In reply to both of these, it will be click and drag to move around.

Also, the reason I'm going with sketched areas is that there will be 8 areas that are reused throughout the game. Seeing as the game will take place in one in-game year in the same town. The dungeons will have parts, but they will be generated if things go as planned.

The collision itself will be overlayed with collision maps I'll be building in Tiled. Some will be isometric, and other ortho. depending on the map.

Offline lordberzerker97

Senior Newbie

« Reply #7 - Posted 2012-01-15 22:35:19 »

If you are going with a click and drag game then I would think it would go great with sketch based graphics. Though I don't understand how dungeon mechanics will work. Tell me... Is this a puzzle game? Or and action game.
Online Magn919

Medals: 6

« Reply #8 - Posted 2012-01-15 23:03:32 »

For looks, i'd clearly say the sketched one.
When i compare the screenshots, i look at the tile-based and think "why? another one of those." but when i look at the sketched one i think "This seems interesting, wanna see more."

But for control, i'd say that the tile-based might be easiest for the player to understand and interact with, when using click and drag, while the sketched one would be better of with a different control system such as point and click.

My conclusion would be, pick the sketched one, it have the best "feel".

For every new problem, a new source of solutions has come to exist.
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #9 - Posted 2012-01-15 23:38:14 »

Haha so it wasn't just me. The sketched image has a unique and interesting look so that's probably why Cool

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline kaffiene
« Reply #10 - Posted 2012-01-16 00:21:23 »

Totally agree about the sketched interface - even your rough version looks more appealing.  It's even making me reconsider some things I was planning to do with standard tiles.
Offline SkyAphid

« Reply #11 - Posted 2012-01-16 00:31:49 »

The game is going to be an action game. Essentially, you drag the mouse around and he will follow. Seeing as most of this will be interactable due to the flexible text engine I built, I'm not too worried about it.

The sketched environments were originally an idea I've had for a while now, the environments will look like that, and the player will be 8-bit-ish. Contrasting each other. I thought the strangeness of it would be artistically fascinating.

Here, this may be the final version:

Offline lordberzerker97

Senior Newbie

« Reply #12 - Posted 2012-01-16 03:11:25 »

Looking good man.
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #13 - Posted 2012-01-16 03:55:37 »

Love it Smiley

Offline sproingie
« Reply #14 - Posted 2012-01-16 04:52:22 »

Totally the sketched look.  No question whatsoever.
Offline Damocles
« Reply #15 - Posted 2012-01-16 05:32:59 »

Yes, dont force yourself to the 8bit style. Its not very unique, many implement it.
If you have the skill, use your handdrawn assets, which will be automatically unique in your own style.

Offline SkyAphid

« Reply #16 - Posted 2012-01-16 06:39:49 »

Yes, dont force yourself to the 8bit style. Its not very unique, many implement it.
If you have the skill, use your handdrawn assets, which will be automatically unique in your own style.

Basically, it's 8-bit characters because drawing each frame for the character would simply be too hard and time consuming for the type of game this is going to be. Plus. the 8-bit will complement the sketched environments, which will look pretty cool.

Offline tackman

Senior Newbie

« Reply #17 - Posted 2012-01-16 10:36:01 »

Although I presume you have already decided, I'd also say go with the sketched version. I personally can't imagine how the 8bit character would look in that environment, I do believe it will be a really unique looking game.

Hope you keep feeding us with screens!
Offline SkyAphid

« Reply #18 - Posted 2012-01-17 04:21:18 »

There's a screen with the player put in.
I'll probably have to implement a sprite shadow system or just draw them on myself. Not so sure on which yet.

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #19 - Posted 2012-01-17 05:50:50 »

That sketch is good! I use 8bit style cause no art skill in my hand, so I just fill rects with color, something like this Grin

so keep up the good work!

Offline gbeebe

Medals: 5

« Reply #20 - Posted 2012-01-17 16:56:18 »

I think I liked the 1st sketch better, I don't know if it was the view point, or the fact that you only needed to see the north wall, or maybe it's the thin border around the walls.  Also, if there's a rug in the room, you know there's a key under it   Wink 
Offline theagentd
« Reply #21 - Posted 2012-01-18 10:39:43 »

If you're good at whatever you have to be good at to do the following, you could create a depth image of each scene to get real accurate shadows. If you also have a depth map for each sprite, you could get full accurate shadow mapping in a 2D game, which would look so insanely amazing that I'd bow to the ground for you.

Myomyomyo.
Offline SkyAphid

« Reply #22 - Posted 2012-02-02 05:02:02 »

There's some obvious errors, but what do you think of this environment?

Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #23 - Posted 2012-02-02 05:15:42 »

Beautiful! Smiley

Offline SkyAphid

« Reply #24 - Posted 2012-02-02 13:47:21 »

Thank you!

Do you see anything you'd think I should change? I've already decided to remove the sidewalk so the player has more walking space.

Offline aazimon
« Reply #25 - Posted 2012-02-02 20:19:51 »

I like the sketchiness of your design. I would suggest to use a pen over your pencil instead of blacking the line with a paint program. The inking will help keep your original design look.
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 51
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #26 - Posted 2012-02-02 21:29:55 »

I agree, blacking out the lines after scanning makes them look too uniform and mechanical. I'd suggest getting yourself a nice brush pen to do the thick lines with, and maybe inking some of the finer detail with a fineliner.

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline SkyAphid

« Reply #27 - Posted 2012-02-03 01:00:26 »

I may just thin out those lines, the pens may limit a few things on my end.

Online UprightPath
« Reply #28 - Posted 2012-02-03 03:22:44 »

The sketchiness works, but I would suggest watching out when it comes to perspectives.

In what you've posted there are several of instances where the lines formed aren't parallel where they should be (Such as the door in the 'from the corner view'.) The main reason bring this up is that when you have lines that people know should be parallel can cause a sense of disquiet, which may or may not be what you intended to do.

If all of the art is off to the same degree, it doesn't make too much of a difference, because it will be come 'normal' at least in the sense of what you're playing with. But, if your later art ends up being better about perspective/square/parallel, but you leave your earlier attempts in, people (Especially those like me, heh) will spend a lot of time wondering why the room is so 'off'.

This can, of course, be used as a form of foreshadowing in your game, or an indication of things going wrong. Say, if most of the world is four-square, then you get one room where the windows aren't quite square, or the doors are lopsided. That room will be even more off-putting or creepy. Or, if your game has things 'getting worse' in some way, several images of the same rooms gradually changing can affect the mood.

Offline SkyAphid

« Reply #29 - Posted 2012-02-19 01:03:09 »

This is going to be the battle zone for some of the fights. Depends on where you are really.

Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

xsi3rr4x (15 views)
2014-04-15 18:08:23

BurntPizza (13 views)
2014-04-15 03:46:01

UprightPath (26 views)
2014-04-14 17:39:50

UprightPath (12 views)
2014-04-14 17:35:47

Porlus (29 views)
2014-04-14 15:48:38

tom_mai78101 (51 views)
2014-04-10 04:04:31

BurntPizza (110 views)
2014-04-08 23:06:04

tom_mai78101 (211 views)
2014-04-05 13:34:39

trollwarrior1 (179 views)
2014-04-04 12:06:45

CJLetsGame (185 views)
2014-04-01 02:16:10
List of Learning Resources
by Longarmx
2014-04-08 03:14:44

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-05 13:51:37

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:46

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:37

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:51

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:34

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:22:30

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:05:20
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org