Games in Android Showcase (127)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (593)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Mr. Hat I - Demo Inside -  (Read 5607 times)
Offline R.D.

Senior Devvie

Medals: 2
Projects: 1

"For the last time, Hats ARE Awesome"

« Posted 2012-01-06 19:12:20 »

Hello Smiley

This game is a remake of a RPG-Maker 2000 Game I made for a Gameboy-Contest. The basic idea is a Jump'n'Run with RPG-Elements. The orginal game was a top-down but i just love side-scroller so the remake must be done this way :durr:

The story is very very simple. You are Mr. Hat. You a the hero who tries to rescue the princess. That's it, but I can promise that there is a twist Cheesy

The gameplay consists of 2 types. the first ist the jump'n'run part were you run around, push boxes and stuff. Like Cave Story you can return to previous locations to find new items with new equipment. Then there is the second part where you fight enemies you encountered on the maps. The battle system is a action based battle system with some round base elements. It's not coded yet so no screens Sad

The graphics are done by a fellow student and the music by a good friend of mine and lead guitarist of the band: Our Slight Indulgence. Sounds are done by me.

Screenshots:

jumping on the test map. / pulling boxes.

opening box in color mode (this is story depending) / The equipment menu were you equip hats to your sword or shield.

What you can't see on the screens is that a lot stuff is animated. the cursor has a waggle animation, the menu pops up with a smooth animation and so on.

Videos:
Showing Testmap

Demos:
Ver 0.4: Windows / Linux / Mac (Jar File)

Edit:
added missing natives for mac

TODO-List
  • new graphics
  • new background handling
  • dust effects
  • new collision system
  • new box moving (old one has bugs)
  • add rain (?)
  • battle system
  • enemies
  • game switches

Hope you like it  Grin

Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 355
Projects: 3
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-01-06 19:35:36 »

I love the overall style, especially of the HUD and debug mode. What font are you using?

Overall, it's looking good, great job Smiley

Offline R.D.

Senior Devvie

« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-01-06 19:38:52 »

Thanks Smiley
I'm not using a font, I have my own font renderer which is based on a sprite sheet (with different width/height per tile and capable of doing these textanimation you can see in the video). I pixel fonts myself^^ (this one is based on Niagara Solid with changes)
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #3 - Posted 2012-01-06 19:41:59 »

Oh cool!

Also, what are those numbers used for render and update? Milliseconds per second? They seem a bit too large to be so :S

Offline R.D.

Senior Devvie

« Reply #4 - Posted 2012-01-06 19:44:07 »

Oh those are micro seconds Smiley Vut changable to nano seconds or so (hence the bunch of gray zeros Cheesy)

Edit:
Oh and the even smaller font you can see is tottaly pixeled by myself Cheesy
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #5 - Posted 2012-01-06 19:59:44 »

Those are microseconds?! Your update and rendering don't even take a millisecond? Wow Tongue

Offline Cero
« Reply #6 - Posted 2012-01-06 20:17:56 »

you have a consistent theme and art style and a very nice hud

also: paper mario style turning around, I see  =D

I like it so far

Offline R.D.

Senior Devvie

« Reply #7 - Posted 2012-01-06 20:28:52 »

@ra4king
Is that weird? it just System.nanoSeconds() / 1000, that's micro or is it not? (Just asking because I'm confused xD)

Cero
Thanks, I love to have one style over the hole game, makes it feel more playable imho Cheesy
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #8 - Posted 2012-01-06 20:41:30 »

Yup that's microsecond. And haha I notice that that paper style turning around too, really cool! Smiley

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #9 - Posted 2012-01-06 22:47:06 »

So where's the download link? Wink

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline R.D.

Senior Devvie

« Reply #10 - Posted 2012-01-06 23:01:21 »

@ra4king
Well then it should be accurate I guess Cheesy btw the paper like turning is also on the small cursor in the textbox and ond the menu cursor Smiley

@ReBirth
I wish I could give you one :/ Maybe I will upload the source to google since it BSD and Open Source (I don't think people will ever use my code, but maybe some one get the final hint to implement something Smiley)
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #11 - Posted 2012-01-06 23:06:03 »

I don't think people will ever use my code
who said that? I'll use your font sprite renderer Grin

Offline R.D.

Senior Devvie

« Reply #12 - Posted 2012-01-06 23:45:31 »

who said that? I'll use your font sprite renderer Grin

What really? It's not that good imho but if it helps you, I'm glad Cheesy I will do that after the 2/8/2012 when I have to show it to my prof Wink
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #13 - Posted 2012-01-06 23:47:55 »

And your HUD debug. It has text and somekind of progressbar right? good luck, just hope your prof see it well~

Offline R.D.

Senior Devvie

« Reply #14 - Posted 2012-01-07 01:32:25 »

Well the hud debug is very hacky, especially the "time" part Cheesy But it does the job and that's what count's.
The text is no text but a graphic which was made by me, just the numbers are text Smiley (This is done to make it faster) The menus are the same way. Wherer I have spots which would have the same text always I just made a graphic and put in my 512x512 menu file Cheesy the progress bar is just a filled quad over a value ( 0.0 -1.0 * maxPixelWidth).
I will show him this stuff too of course xD I wann get my 1... or A (I don't no what students in america get xD)
Offline R.D.

Senior Devvie

« Reply #15 - Posted 2012-01-12 10:21:21 »

Updates:
  • added run animation. Had to pixel it myself, my artist is too lazy xD
  • fixed some bugs, when running is on and turning in mid-air.
  • added push/pull animation.
  • added "kick box"-anmation (again pixeled myself). No I have a nice Animation for Mr. Hat I when he opens a chest
  • added turn animation, which will be used when Mr. Hat reads a sign.
  • added dust effects
  • added save menu

No new image tho... Sad Maybe next week. Oh and btw on 2/8/2012 or something like that I will release a demo... where you can push boxes around xD
Offline R.D.

Senior Devvie

« Reply #16 - Posted 2012-02-08 10:52:29 »

Demo Time!

Ver 0.4: Windows / Linux / Mac (Jar File)

Edit:
The source will come with a later demo or with the final game. I'm not happy with the code since I hade to do much stuff the hacky way. I just had no time for thinking on how to implement a feature the best way. This is my first game written in Java  but don't hesitate to attack me with all the bugs you can find Cheesy

Known Bugs:
Glitch while pushing / pulling crates.

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #17 - Posted 2012-02-08 12:11:20 »

A really awesome polished game! Everything look nice on eyes! Great Grin
I didn't find your glitch bug so everything worked fine.
Nice work on loading screen!

Offline elamre

JGO Coder

Medals: 17

hitar!

« Reply #18 - Posted 2012-02-08 13:15:39 »

This looks REAL sweet! only bug i found was a level design bug. I was stuck at some place (couldn't get up or down).

My projects:
Tower Defence!]http://www.java-gaming.org/topics/iconified/25690/view.html]Tower Defence! [lll.......] 30%!
Lightsnakerider! [llllll....] 60%!
Offline R.D.

Senior Devvie

« Reply #19 - Posted 2012-02-17 17:28:27 »

@ReBirth
Haha thanks Cheesy btw you wanted the font renderer right? As said the source will come with the final version, but I could send you the stuff in a PM if you want. Just write me Cheesy

elamre
Argh~ I hate does Cheesy I have a long list of such design bugs and I promise to make the puzzles better in the final version.
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #20 - Posted 2012-02-18 02:32:40 »

@ReBirth
Haha thanks Cheesy btw you wanted the font renderer right? As said the source will come with the final version, but I could send you the stuff in a PM if you want. Just write me Cheesy
Yes please Grin

Offline CodeBunny

Senior Devvie

Medals: 4

« Reply #21 - Posted 2012-02-18 13:35:07 »

This is awesome. How long did it take you?

I like the art style, btw. Nice job.
Offline R.D.

Senior Devvie

« Reply #22 - Posted 2012-02-18 14:22:37 »

It took 3 months. But I only worked at some days since I had other projects for school to work on Smiley
Offline R.D.

Senior Devvie

« Reply #23 - Posted 2012-06-18 22:03:26 »

Oh well~ I'm Back!

Lately on my pauses from the my Bachelor, I do some developing on this again. Currently the whole game goes through some heavy changes. I replaced the old pretty much fixed  game context with a more flexible one.
It all comes from my current Engine which is mostly based on a lot of Interfaces provided by the new Game Context.

Also collision now pretty and fast as hell. I somehow managed to run 10.000 Entites at 60 FPS all with collision and rendering (basically by finally adding a base entity class with some checks for out of view rendering). Also the new collision engine supports slopes and smaller tiles Smiley

Hope to get the new graphics soon so I cann show of the new stuff Smiley
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print