Games in Android Showcase (114)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (563)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Leave Me Alone! [LD48]  (Read 2664 times)
Offline yuma

Medals: 2
Projects: 1

Monkeys are listening

« Posted 2011-12-19 02:36:55 »

Hey, I just submitted my game to Ludum Dare 22. Link to the entry.

I hope you like it!

Offline philfrei
« Reply #1 - Posted 2011-12-19 03:08:22 »

Fun! Couldn't do anything with the cat though.
"Start from beginning" has two N's.
I miss not having any sound, but understand adding that would be hard, given the contest constraints.
I ended up tilting my keyboard so the arrow keys matched the directions.
Good puzzles.

"Greetings my friends! We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives!" -- The Amazing Criswell
Offline yuma

Monkeys are listening

« Reply #2 - Posted 2011-12-19 03:23:36 »

Thanks for the heads-up on the grammar. I'm afraid it has many other typos. I just updated it.

Also thanks, really, to point out the weak points (I'm specially interested in those :-))

Only two points.
  • Regarding sound. It has sound when moving crates, stepping into a wall or burning anything (including you). Did you mean that sound is crappy (I agree)? Did you mean it has no music (I wanted to put some music but lack experience)? Did you hear anything?
  • Regarding cat. Did you pass that level? You should have seen the final screen.

PS: I appreciate you comment so I hit the "appreciate" button on your comment. Apparently I gave you a medal. Is that common or did I do something wrong? For the record, I think you deserve one just to try the game!

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline philfrei
« Reply #3 - Posted 2011-12-19 04:26:06 »

@yuma
That's what the "appreciate" buttons are for! Thanks for that. I've given out 50 or so myself, so far. Lost count.

My bad. There IS sound. As you said, moving the block and pushing it into the fire. I'm big on sound and always want more and better (except when it is poorly matched or distracting).

Yes, I saw the final screen. Nice touch with the moral at the end. Wasn't sure if I had accomplished all the tasks, though. It gave me a count of all the steps taken (330). Most were perhaps taken on the last screen, trying to figure out what I was supposed to do. (Trying to avoid "spoilers".)

I kind of wanted to know the # of the level I was on. One of the later levels had me stumped for a bit. It took two tries to get it. For a while I thought it was impossible. But I can't tell you which, as I don't have level numbers. But that probably isn't important for this contest, right?

I'm impressed with your work, and with these competitions in general. They remind me of competitions in music where folks try to write and record 30 songs in 30 days.

"Greetings my friends! We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives!" -- The Amazing Criswell
Offline yuma

Monkeys are listening

« Reply #4 - Posted 2011-12-22 11:32:34 »

@philfrei
Thanks! You gave me a lot of ideas for improvements. I'm not sure I'll extend this version (I already have many unfinished projects), but I'll bear those in mind for future puzzles.

Also, does anyone notice any graphical glitch like the only on the next screenshot?

A friend found it but he didn't know how to reproduce it. Seems a OpenGL problem realated with LWJGL but I can't reproduce it in my computer. Any ideas?

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #5 - Posted 2011-12-22 13:57:58 »

So this is sokoban in the middle of lava? Grin
The control is little tricky, needs some levels to adapt. If I can suggest, give chess styled floor.

Offline yuma

Monkeys are listening

« Reply #6 - Posted 2011-12-22 17:38:14 »

I'm thinking about renaming the game to "Emo-Sokoban" :-)

Originally, it had chess-like floor, but my girlfriend discouraged me and so I changed it... I don't really have a good artist taste.

Your problems are shared so many others, I think I should double-think in case I want to make another isometric game. I was inspired by the Mini Quests from Dishmoth.

Offline dishmoth
« Reply #7 - Posted 2011-12-23 18:35:06 »

I'm thinking about renaming the game to "Emo-Sokoban" :-)
Yes! Grin

Your problems are shared so many others, I think I should double-think in case I want to make another isometric game. I was inspired by the Mini Quests from Dishmoth.
I've had lots and lots of complaints about the controls in that game as well. Wink  I think that Cas's comment in that thread may be on target: if you can make the game be controlled by the mouse (and I'm not sure how you would in this case), then that's the way to go.

One aspect of the controls that you could improve though is the way the keys auto-repeat (on my keyboard at least).  If you hold a key down slightly too long, the character zooms off into the lava, which makes the game a little more tense than you probably intended.

I did like the narrative aspect of the game (the intro and the ending).  A couple more 'narrative bits' partway through the game might have been interesting.

As philfrei said, showing a level number would be good.  In particular, if it said something like "Level 7 of 10" then that would let people see that the goal is within reach.  If the comments in this thread hadn't mentioned the game's ending, I probably would've assumed that it just got more and more difficult, and might've given up without seeing the end.

Simon

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print