Actually Populus hat lots of these Ideas back then.
Where you play a God, penalising peons.
More recently, the game Babel Rising
was very good at putting the player into the shoes of a punishing god. And as a crossing between Dungeon Keeper
and Dig Dug
, the game Holy invasion of privacy, Badman !
did a good job.
And here are some other ideas for you :
- a vector graphics shoot 'em up in the vein of PixelJunk SideScroller
or the venerable Space Fury
and Star Castle
- a remake of the arcade/tactical game Wargame
on the old Colecovision, letting you control the missile defense system of your country against some nuclear attack. Imagine Missile Command
with a top-down perspective and not a side one ;
- change an old shoot 'em up into a tactical game, like R-Type Command
- a fantasy tactical RPG game like Fire Emblem
, where you may play the bad guy ;
- some remake of Hero 30
, which is a part of Half-Minute Hero
, but with procedurally generated content, like maps and quests ;
- a card game, of poker, and with a girl... I mean Strip Poker 16K
! The challenge would be to get good enough graphics of your partner. Well, you wanted some ideas...