Games in Android Showcase (112)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (556)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Pat yourself on the back  (Read 1944 times)
Offline ~Spaceaholic

Medals: 3
Projects: 1

« Posted 2011-11-12 17:51:13 »

I have been working on an application for the android market for about 5 months now, and its finally starting to look like something I am proud to call my own(tentative release date december 1)...  the other day I implemented my first recursive method within the app, and that also was a very proud moment for me, I am sure if you had seen my face when I finally figured it out you would have been able to tell. The method was nothing extraordinary, for most experienced programmers I am sure it would have been trivial, but for me, my chest puffed up, my face wore a shit eating grin, and for that moment I was victorious... These little victory's, although sometimes few and far between, along with a little help from the community at JGO, have given me the motivation to make it this far.... I am sure you all have your moments of glory, what are they, and how do you celebrate them?
Offline theagentd
« Reply #1 - Posted 2011-11-12 19:07:02 »

I have been working on an application for the android market for about 5 months now, and its finally starting to look like something I am proud to call my own(tentative release date december 1)...  the other day I implemented my first recursive method within the app, and that also was a very proud moment for me, I am sure if you had seen my face when I finally figured it out you would have been able to tell. The method was nothing extraordinary, for most experienced programmers I am sure it would have been trivial, but for me, my chest puffed up, my face wore a shit eating grin, and for that moment I was victorious... These little victory's, although sometimes few and far between, along with a little help from the community at JGO, have given me the motivation to make it this far.... I am sure you all have your moments of glory, what are they, and how do you celebrate them?
Things that I consider awesome, no matter how hard it was to implement, are the reason I'm a programmer. It doesn't matter if it's just a cool lighting effect, insane number of advanced GPU-accelerated particles running in realtime or something I saw in a game and wanted to implement myself, it's still the same feeling. Celebration is traditionally Pocky and comedy anime. xDDD

EDIT: Waaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.... Pat on my back? Like this?

Myomyomyo.
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 345
Projects: 3
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #2 - Posted 2011-11-12 20:05:56 »

Moments of glory usually are when something FINALLY works. This is usually when I code something from scratch, run it and find lots of bugs. Tongue

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

Medals: 26
Exp: 6 years

One for all!

« Reply #3 - Posted 2011-11-12 20:10:01 »

Implementations that work as intended the first time ran.

Offline philfrei
« Reply #4 - Posted 2011-11-13 03:46:53 »

Yes. I get very upbeat and happy after a programming victory. My wife immediately notices.

My favorite victories with Java (been teaching myself, coming up on two years) also include the first working recursion, a "smoke genie" (a smoke effect using transparencies), the first gel effect using Java 2D, and, just two weeks ago, a particularly encouraging week: (1) my first working Frequency Modulation synthesis, (2) making a working audio Mixer, and (3) understanding (finally) the explanation of the Discrete Fourier Transform which has been a road block to doing audio filtering.

I also got a compliment last week from the nurses that use an app I wrote (MS Access VBA) to assist with calculating drug regimens for pediatric bone marrow transplant patients, that this program was not only a great help, it was going to enhance patient safety.

So I start to think, maybe I AM a "real" programmer. (Whatever that is.)

Then, I look at the job listings and come back down to earth.

"Greetings my friends! We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives!" -- The Amazing Criswell
Offline actual

JGO Coder

Medals: 23

« Reply #5 - Posted 2011-11-13 11:49:50 »

I am currently working on a space fleet game and have gotten to the point where I need to start building the interior layout of the ships. I have defined a ship definition file and was creating everything by hand, but it soon got unwieldy. So I built a tool that allows me to build ship interiors. I can create ships, load existing files and save new ones. I even have some visual niceties like highlighting rows and buttons, and visual indication of errors (such as when you have a ship compartment that is open to space.

Why was I so pleased with this? Because despite a bone headed question, I was able to build the entire working application in one day.

So many times, I've seen on forums where someone posts screen shots of something they started just a few days ago and it always amazed and disheartened me. Everything I do (even the simple things) seems to be me mentioned in weeks, so the idea that I could build anything functional in a few days seemed out of reach.

So how do I pat myself on the back? You mean besides bragging on JGO? Smiley 
Offline ~Spaceaholic

Medals: 3
Projects: 1

« Reply #6 - Posted 2011-11-14 12:14:59 »

Another little victory, sitting away from the computer, pen and paper in hand, writing a function/series of functions and seeing through the bugs before implementation. Thats a new one for me, it wasnt possible a month or so ago... Grin
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

Medals: 5

« Reply #7 - Posted 2011-11-19 01:49:24 »

There are two things that get me super proud of myself.

The first is when I think up and idea, and think of all the code, and just do it without having  to restructure my idea.

The second is when I can sit down one evening and write an entire game. This one probably more, because I often get into the mindset that I am trapped into a current project and I am making very little headway, and so it is nice to prove to myself that I havent gotten worse, the problems have just gotten better haha.
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #8 - Posted 2011-11-19 17:31:27 »

RCing (release candidate build) a very big mobile game this weekend. It will be on Android for limited locations and devices (Galaxy SII, Galaxy S, Evo 4G) in a couple weeks. It is always tremendously satisfying when you've been spending 60 hours a week busting your ass and then finally see your project out in the world.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #9 - Posted 2011-11-20 00:44:56 »

@Eli
Which game?

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #10 - Posted 2011-11-20 01:49:33 »

@Eli
Which game?
It's called Skyfall, it's an RPG.

Google

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #11 - Posted 2011-11-20 03:18:58 »

You work for ngmoco? That's awesome!

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #12 - Posted 2011-11-20 03:56:53 »

You work for ngmoco? That's awesome!
Yeah for the last 2 years. It's a good place to learn.

See my work:
OTC Software
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Nickropheliac (15 views)
2014-08-31 22:59:12

TehJavaDev (23 views)
2014-08-28 18:26:30

CopyableCougar4 (29 views)
2014-08-22 19:31:30

atombrot (41 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (38 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (35 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (25 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (34 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (72 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (48 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org