Games in Android Showcase (112)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (556)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  ignore  |  Print  
  [Island Forge] Single-dev MMORPG * Now Free-to-Play!  (Read 21331 times)
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 784
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #30 - Posted 2011-11-11 18:43:44 »

Developing a game is time consuming enough, I'm not even going to bother whether I'm going to be sued, as chances are I'm only going to be sued if the game is a huge success, which is pretty unlikely. Let's say you beat those odds, then you probably cannot afford a lengthy legal process anyway, so you'll be forced to take your game offline no matter what.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #31 - Posted 2011-11-12 05:10:17 »

I just know about this legal issue on publishing game o___O
my last time experience (IP-based) citizen restriction is on NDS game, some JP site and youtube.
so, is this something to protect under-age, copyright or what??

Offline Nyhm

Medals: 3
Projects: 1

Island Forge

« Reply #32 - Posted 2011-11-14 20:31:19 »

Thanks for your feedback so far. We're taking steps to improve the player experience based on your input.

Help us out by playing Nov 15, 2011

Island Forge has many new players, and we'd like to see how many we can get into the world at once. Help us out tomorrow (Nov 15, 2011) by logging in and playing whenever you can. Ask friends to join, as well, and log in together when possible.

Also create some new islands! We need to see how well the world operates with many more places to explore.

If you haven't yet signed up, you can still play FREE during beta. Thank you for helping us out.

http://islandforge.com

Island Forge: Create Islands with Stories for Others to Explore!
Free-to-Play with Membership and Upgrade options!
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Nyhm

Island Forge

« Reply #33 - Posted 2011-11-15 14:47:15 »

Nov 15 starts with a bang! (Actually, more of a crash.) My personal apologies to anyone who experienced the crash on startup this morning. A new version has been released, which fixes the problem.

My thanks for helping beta test!  http://islandforge.com/

Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

Medals: 26
Projects: 3
Exp: 6 years

One for all!

« Reply #34 - Posted 2011-11-15 19:32:02 »

Chrome tells me your site insecure, and can be altared before it reaches me. This doesn't seem too appealing to users  Pointing

Tried your game.. Sue me!  Cheesy

I like the effort, but the looks of this game is not directly appealing. Consider a change of graphics, and UI.
It is also hard to play, just jumping into it. I had no idea what I was doing, or what I was trying to do.

Offline Nyhm

Island Forge

« Reply #35 - Posted 2011-11-15 19:45:06 »

Chrome tells me your site insecure, and can be altared before it reaches me. This doesn't seem too appealing to users  Pointing

Tried your game.. Sue me!  Cheesy

I like the effort, but the looks of this game is not directly appealing. Consider a change of graphics, and UI.
It is also hard to play, just jumping into it. I had no idea what I was doing, or what I was trying to do.

Thanks so much for checking it out! I think I noticed you in the world, but you darted away before I could even say Hi. The game is a classic fantasy RPG. Walk around, explore islands, follow stories, fight monsters, etc. Underlying all this, you can create your own islands and stories for others to explore!

I will try to make the goals of the game more apparent to new players.

I'm kind-of a security fanatic, so thank you for relaying Chrome's warning. Unfortunately, it is misleading. Every site on the Web that uses only HTTP (not HTTPS) can be altered in transit. Islandforge.com is an HTTPS secure site, but some (non-security sensitive) components are not HTTPS, which Chrome is complaining about. If I just used plain old unsecure HTTP, Chrome wouldn't complain (and you'd be less secure)... that's about the state of security on the Web.

That said, I will take steps to make the site not complain about such things.

Thank you for describing your experiences. That's what beta is all about.

Offline Nyhm

Island Forge

« Reply #36 - Posted 2011-11-16 16:14:22 »

Help us out by playing Nov 15, 2011

Thanks to those who stopped by yesterday - site traffic at islandforge.com was our second-highest ever, and several new players registered!

Beta is still ongoing. Next, try out the built-in editor, allowing you to create and publish your own islands and stories to the world. As always, community feedback is welcome.

Offline Nyhm

Island Forge

« Reply #37 - Posted 2012-01-20 16:20:58 »

I've released a major gameplay update ( Island Forge Beta 2 ) incorporating many improvements, largely based on community input - thanks for all who have provided feedback - it is much appreciated.

Early game buildup is now quicker (streamlined crafting and leveling), interfaces are more intuitive, weaponry, creatures, and combat have been rebalanced. The island builder tool has several improvements, as well.

I'm still flying solo here, so community support is greatly appreciated.

http://islandforge.com

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #38 - Posted 2012-01-21 04:30:44 »

Great work! like the art Grin
I suggest you also create client jar on side time, cause some people like me prefer to play it on desktop rather browser.

Offline Nyhm

Island Forge

« Reply #39 - Posted 2012-01-21 15:26:20 »

Thanks for checking it out. There is a JAR file for download, as well as Windows exe and Java Web Start. There is no browser/applet version at this time. I'm also building a MacOS app bundle, but haven't yet tested it. Soon I'll also be making the game client fully self-updating (so I can dispose of Java Web Start).

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Nyhm

Island Forge

« Reply #40 - Posted 2012-02-02 17:40:31 »

I've recently added a MacOS application bundle - Can folks here help me test if it actually works? Here is the DMG file:

http://islandforge.com/launch/IslandForge.dmg

You should get a splash screen, which updates the game content, then launches the main login screen. To play, you need to register, but it would be helpful just to know if the Mac app starts up.

I built the DMG using the JarBundler Ant Task. Any tips/tricks/suggestions most welcome. Thanks!

(Should this be posted/cross-referenced in the Debugging forum?)

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #41 - Posted 2012-02-03 03:03:59 »

I downloaded the client, but it doesn't seem have content. How big exactly the game content in worst (bigger) number?

Offline Nyhm

Island Forge

« Reply #42 - Posted 2012-02-03 14:43:31 »

The linked MacOS DMG file is only 506k. When you run it, it will download the rest of its content. The game is now fully self-updating (unless the boot loader itself needs to be updated).

If you're registered, here is the page that provides the various platform client downloads: http://islandforge.com/play/

Offline Damocles
« Reply #43 - Posted 2012-02-03 16:12:10 »

Hi, just played around a bit.
Some points I noticed:

You might want to make a small tutorial / guide at the beginning.

Can be as simple as "How to move, how to equipt, how to get a quest and venture to it" kind of splash-screens.
Maybe with some "old wise guy" introducing the player to the game.
---
The GUI is quite small (Very small Buttons), and very unusually structured. I would clean that up.
Also the chat should not be in such a small space. Try to make it like 8 lines high.
Make a big "start game" or "enter world" button. Tha small sword was a bit hard to find.

Well.., Dont try to invent a "new and better" Gui than the standard MMOs, they had much more time to figure out and develop a working formula.

I would say: better just copy their GUI structure... and rather concentrate on making a unique gameplay / content.
---

Good luck with your game.

Offline Nyhm

Island Forge

« Reply #44 - Posted 2012-02-03 16:24:04 »

Thanks a lot for trying it out, Damocles. I appreciate your feedback.

When you enter the world for the first time, you get some splash slides on the basic components of town, to get you started. I'll improve these with your suggestions (more about how to walk around, talk to folks, and such).

I agree that a larger chat area is in order. Regarding the GUI controls, I felt they were simple enough (slots for items), but clearly they're not as intuitive as I thought -- that's exactly why I need more player feedback -- thanks for taking the time to offer your thoughts!

Offline Damocles
« Reply #45 - Posted 2012-02-03 16:41:31 »

Ok about the GUI:

what you mainly want to present are

-actions (spells)
-Items (inventory)
-chat
-the map
-character info
-quickoptions

Try to keep all actions/items/options slot (the selectible components) in a consistant style.
WOW did that by making everything same-sized squares, on wich the player can shift round items/actions.

most of the time only actions/chat/quickoptions/ and map are needed,
the inventory can be turned on and off.

I would (during development) use a placeholder artwork for the GUI on purpose.
Just use grey slots with very simplyfies black/white icons. So you can quickly adapt your GUI when you feeld like changing it.
People should see that it is NOT the final style yet. So they can keep imagining how it would look like and give suggestions.

Make the GUI components big enough though, without making every element in a totally different design.
And blend out all elements wich are not used repetatively. (just put them on a panel, that can be turned on and off, so you dont
cramp too much on the screen at once.)
-> the icons arranged in a circle for example are very hard to guess what they are actually, and use quite a lot of space for
beeing so small.
If you want a "selector" just make 3 Buttons, wich clap out the selection then.

Offline Nyhm

Island Forge

« Reply #46 - Posted 2012-02-03 17:07:08 »

Thanks for the details - that is very helpful advice. But I didn't understand the following suggestion:

If you want a "selector" just make 3 Buttons, wich clap out the selection then.

Offline Damocles
« Reply #47 - Posted 2012-02-03 18:46:47 »

The circles with the marker, I think they are for switching though stuff, did not really get that part of the gui.

I like the update/Loader though wich makes it more pleasant to install than comparable indy MMOs

Offline Nyhm

Island Forge

« Reply #48 - Posted 2012-02-03 19:22:34 »

The circles with the marker, I think they are for switching though stuff, did not really get that part of the gui.

I like the update/Loader though wich makes it more pleasant to install than comparable indy MMOs

I see - yes, the toggle's main purpose is to switch between ranged (bow) vs. attack weapon. You can also carry a secondary weapon. I like to show everything you have equipped, rather than hide them in some kind of pull-out, but I understand now what you are suggesting.

I'm glad you like the boot loader. My philosophy is that, whenever possible (maybe always), software should just be a single, small, self-contained executable file. Any other resources can be downloaded and stored locally (or kept server-side). Maybe I should get into the portable apps business...

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #49 - Posted 2012-02-04 02:44:22 »

When you run it, it will download the rest of its content.
That's what I want to know, how big it download will.

Offline Nyhm

Island Forge

« Reply #50 - Posted 2012-02-04 14:41:52 »

When you run it, it will download the rest of its content.
That's what I want to know, how big it download will.

The software download is under 2MB. The content download (graphics and other resources) is almost 40MB. At this time, any change to the content payload requires the full download. Later, I may split that up into smaller pieces, but this is simplest for now.

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #51 - Posted 2012-02-05 02:46:13 »

almost 40MB.
That's! thanks I want to know because I use limited broadband.

Offline Nyhm

Island Forge

« Reply #52 - Posted 2012-02-05 03:11:02 »

... when it works. I found a flaw in my build process that effectively required users to always download the latest version, even when the boot loader should have handled the update. Whoops. It should be fixed with beta v0.9.7.8. In addition, I've enhanced a number of the interfaces and information. My thanks to those who have been providing feedback!

Offline Nyhm

Island Forge

« Reply #53 - Posted 2012-02-27 15:57:26 »

I've updated the Island Forge site, with the goal of more clearly describing the game. Any comments on the site would be welcome. In particular, do you feel you get the point of the game right away, and does it make you want to play?

Also, there's a new Atlas feature on the site, showing some of the player-created islands (with ratings and visitation count). Thanks for having a look!

Offline DiEvAl

Junior Newbie

« Reply #54 - Posted 2012-02-28 17:22:10 »

Can you please change this part of TOS?
To establish an Account, you must be a resident of the United States and at least 18 years old.
Not that it's going to stop me from playing of course Wink , but you may lose some other players because of this.
Offline Nyhm

Island Forge

« Reply #55 - Posted 2012-02-28 18:16:30 »

Can you please change this part of TOS?
To establish an Account, you must be a resident of the United States and at least 18 years old.
Not that it's going to stop me from playing of course Wink , but you may lose some other players because of this.

I do understand your position on that point, but the lawyer who drafted the ToS was very adamant that this was important for us. I can try to elaborate (but I am not a lawyer). Since we're a small operation (me) and just starting out, we do not have the resources to ensure that we are not in violation of any law in any country of the world. In the United States, there are specific laws about age (13-17 is allowed if the account holder is an adult).

Thank you for your input. I'm willing to be open about these legal matters, especially because it's an important (and very cryptic) part of the game industry. Even potential indie developers (such as myself) should learn as much as they can.

Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

Medals: 202

« Reply #56 - Posted 2012-02-29 15:31:04 »

Roll Eyes This restrictive clause in the ToS is still the case?    Your lawyer's job is to provide advice, not run your business.  Ultimately the executive decision of where you establish your market is yours alone to make.
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #57 - Posted 2012-02-29 23:48:18 »

You read ToS?!?! Shocked

Offline Nyhm

Island Forge

« Reply #58 - Posted 2012-03-13 18:40:49 »

Just a quick note: Today's update (v0.9.8.4) includes several usability enhancements (better friend and chat controls, click other players to show their detail panel, re-clicking a shop brings it back up), bug fixes, and one gameplay/rule change (related to the infamous negative HP). More details in the player forum.

Feedback is, as always, most welcome.

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 784
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #59 - Posted 2012-03-13 19:34:40 »

Feedback is, as always, most welcome.
Can you either open this game up for everybody, or stop posting in this thread? The majority is not allowed to play your game, so why bother us with status updates...

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Nickropheliac (16 views)
2014-08-31 22:59:12

TehJavaDev (23 views)
2014-08-28 18:26:30

CopyableCougar4 (33 views)
2014-08-22 19:31:30

atombrot (42 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (41 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (35 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (26 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (37 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (73 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (49 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org