Games in Android Showcase (105)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (524)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  ignore  |  Print  
  AllBinary Platform Diagram Preview  (Read 11168 times)
Offline nsigma
« Reply #30 - Posted 2011-10-25 20:00:36 »

I think we should put you in a room with gouessej and m77 and watch  Grin

Cas Smiley

I don't think it's fair to include Julien in there. Fine, he winds people up sometimes, but at least he contributes something. It belittles how much of a PITA the other two are! Grin

Praxis LIVE - open-source intermedia toolkit and live interactive visual editor
Digital Prisoners - interactive spaces and projections
Offline Nate

JGO Kernel

Medals: 144
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Esoteric Software

« Reply #31 - Posted 2011-10-25 22:45:48 »

Where I can find actual code, it looks like an explosion at a Design Patterns factory.
Grin

Offline Cero
« Reply #32 - Posted 2011-10-25 23:21:57 »

Where I can find actual code, it looks like an explosion at a Design Patterns factory. 

I thought I was just too stupid to find stuff =D

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline h3ckboy

JGO Coder

Medals: 5

« Reply #33 - Posted 2011-10-26 07:57:04 »

In his defense, I actually did find some source on the github page, its just under a great many packages is maybe why nobody else found it?
Offline tberthel
« Reply #34 - Posted 2011-10-26 09:22:37 »

It has almost 3000 .java files so I knew someone would eventually find some.

Offline Cero
« Reply #35 - Posted 2011-10-26 12:11:21 »

It has almost 3000 .java files

When every class is like this
/*
* AllBinary Open License Version 1
* Copyright (c) 2011 AllBinary
* By agreeing to this license you and any business entity you represent are
* legally bound to the AllBinary Open License Version 1 legal agreement.
* You may obtain the AllBinary Open License Version 1 legal agreement from
* AllBinary or the root directory of AllBinary's AllBinary Platform repository.
* Created By: Travis Berthelot
*/

package allbinary.media.image;

import java.awt.GraphicsConfiguration;
import java.awt.Transparency;
import java.awt.image.BufferedImage;

public class BufferedImageUtil {

public static BufferedImage create(int width, int height)
   {
      GraphicsConfiguration gc = ImageUtil.getDefaultConfiguration();
      return gc.createCompatibleImage(
         width, height,
         Transparency.TRANSLUCENT);
   }
}

Then its no wonder...

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 334
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #36 - Posted 2011-10-26 12:35:32 »

Plenty ways of skinning cats, etc.

Cas Smiley

Offline tberthel
« Reply #37 - Posted 2011-10-26 13:26:59 »

It has almost 3000 .java files

When every class is like this
package allbinary.media.image;

import java.awt.GraphicsConfiguration;
import java.awt.Transparency;
import java.awt.image.BufferedImage;

public class BufferedImageUtil {

public static BufferedImage create(int width, int height)
   {
      GraphicsConfiguration gc = ImageUtil.getDefaultConfiguration();
      return gc.createCompatibleImage(
         width, height,
         Transparency.TRANSLUCENT);
   }
}

Then its no wonder...

Please don't post my code without the header.

Offline Jack_E

Senior Newbie

« Reply #38 - Posted 2011-10-26 13:53:46 »

Are you sure that this is your code ?
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #39 - Posted 2011-10-26 14:05:18 »

Haha, smartass! But he has a point; please edit the post to include the header.

Cas Smiley

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Cero
« Reply #40 - Posted 2011-10-26 14:52:03 »

edit.

God forbid someone shall steal 4 lines of code. Which is actually just 1 line with breaks.

Offline loom_weaver

JGO Coder

Medals: 17

« Reply #41 - Posted 2011-10-26 14:59:17 »

edit.

God forbid someone shall steal 4 lines of code. Which is actually just 1 line with breaks.

Well at least it made me go look at the actual license.  After a quick perusal I know I won't be using it anytime soon.  It includes gems like this:

3.  You must submit all of your published products using AllBinary Platform
    source code to one of two AllBinary Online Application Sites.  Each product
    submission will cost 1 dollar USD and may be paid via Paypal to:
    travisberthelot@hotmail.com.
    (Until 2013 you will submit them via email to travisberthelot@hotmail.com
    including the binarys, screenshots, name, and description.)

4.  You will fulfill one of the 2 requirements below:

You must obtain one or more advert provider identifiers with instructions
    from AllBinary.  You must allow adverts to be displayed in your published
    product using this license.  If the product does not have a customer
    facing visual then you must use the next requirement.

"Or"

You must pay or earn a yearly subscription as determined by AllBinary.
    (This fee is waved for 2011 and will be 2 dollars USD for the first half of 2012)
Online cylab

JGO Knight

Medals: 38

« Reply #42 - Posted 2011-10-26 15:09:11 »

Well, if I get this correct, that sums up to 5$ a year per product, not per sale, so no big deal actually (and certainly not making a living for tberthel. ever.).

Mathias - I Know What [you] Did Last Summer!
Offline nsigma
« Reply #43 - Posted 2011-10-26 15:31:29 »

Well at least it made me go look at the actual license.  After a quick perusal I know I won't be using it anytime soon. 

Well, I was initially going to respond that this must be breaking the T&Cs of GitHub, but actually it doesn't seem to be - it would of almost any other free, open-source hosting service.  As an example of a license to discourage as much use as possible, it's brilliant!  Smiley

Offline tberthel
« Reply #44 - Posted 2011-10-26 15:36:56 »

Well, if I get this correct, that sums up to 5$ a year per product, not per sale, so no big deal actually (and certainly not making a living for tberthel. ever.).

Actually, 1 product would currently be 1$ USD for submission this year.  It is merely an attempt to track who is using it now.

Until I make some tutorials and such it does not matter.

Offline tberthel
« Reply #45 - Posted 2011-10-26 15:46:07 »

Well at least it made me go look at the actual license.  After a quick perusal I know I won't be using it anytime soon. 

Well, I was initially going to respond that this must be breaking the T&Cs of GitHub, but actually it doesn't seem to be - it would of almost any other free, open-source hosting service.  As an example of a license to discourage as much use as possible, it's brilliant!  Smiley

Yes I know 1$ dollar is so expensive.  How dare I want to make a dollar.

If people can't pay a dollar then I would probably be willing to negotiate something else.

Online Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 729

Hand over your head.

« Reply #46 - Posted 2011-10-26 16:24:43 »

It's not that people can't pay you a dollar, it's that they don't want to. If the purpose of making developers pay is merely to keep track of who is using it, I don't see why you'd force adverts in their product OR make them pay, it makes no sense whatsoever. I'd argue that you'd find out anyway who is using your platform if you setup a forum to allow your users to provide feedback and bug reports.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline tberthel
« Reply #47 - Posted 2011-10-26 18:06:23 »

It's not that people can't pay you a dollar, it's that they don't want to. If the purpose of making developers pay is merely to keep track of who is using it, I don't see why you'd force adverts in their product OR make them pay, it makes no sense whatsoever. I'd argue that you'd find out anyway who is using your platform if you setup a forum to allow your users to provide feedback and bug reports.

Well the subscription is still zero as such you don't need adverts yet.  Registration can be spoofed and anonymous.  Plus I don't want spam apps when my apps site is ready.

Offline nsigma
« Reply #48 - Posted 2011-10-26 23:00:25 »

If people can't pay a dollar then I would probably be willing to negotiate something else.

As Riven said, it's got nothing to do with the price you've set.  My comment was aimed more at your licensing model.  All open-source or full out commercial would be fine.  However, it sounds more like you're trying to build a Walled Garden.  Why should any developer put time and effort into learning an API that's controlled at your whim, no matter how trustworthy you may be (and looking at that website, my reaction is NOT!).  You might just about get developers interested in your walled garden if you're a huge company with millions of eagerly waiting muppets desperate to get their grubby hands on your latest little money earner (or, the Apple way  Wink )  Methinks you're not there yet!

Offline Nate

JGO Kernel

Medals: 144
Exp: 14 years

Esoteric Software

« Reply #49 - Posted 2011-10-26 23:56:46 »

You must pay or earn a yearly subscription as determined by AllBinary.
    (This fee is waved for 2011 and will be 2 dollars USD for the first half of 2012)

Seriously, your license allows you to charge *anything* you want as a yearly subscription...

There are so many things going wrong here, I can't imagine you'll ever get any traction with developers. Even sanely organized and completely free software takes some effort to get traction.

Offline tberthel
« Reply #50 - Posted 2011-10-27 00:09:03 »

As Riven said, it's got nothing to do with the price you've set.  My comment was aimed more at your licensing model.  All open-source or full out commercial would be fine.  However, it sounds more like you're trying to build a Walled Garden.  Why should any developer put time and effort into learning an API that's controlled at your whim, no matter how trustworthy you may be (and looking at that website, my reaction is NOT!).  You might just about get developers interested in your walled garden if you're a huge company with millions of eagerly waiting muppets desperate to get their grubby hands on your latest little money earner (or, the Apple way  Wink )  Methinks you're not there yet!

If I had the government money that Apple received for R & D on the Next system then I too could charge 100$ just have people join, and your right I don't have the same marketing money to drive a Walled Garden.

Open Source commercial projects do exist and mine is one of them.  You don't need to trust me since you can download the source unlike Apple.

My threshold is like thirty dollars which is why my games are in all the major stores that didn't charge me more than that.  So, I am fine with people that have the threshold at 0$ dollars and just like I did they can create their own platform to stay away from something that seems to walled off to them.

I understand, but I am taking a stand on my 1$ requirement per app to stop spam apps.  I may go to 10 cents or something when NFC takes off and drives micro transaction cost down.

I personally think that most developers are willing to pay a dollar to add apps if they believe in their application.

Online Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 729

Hand over your head.

« Reply #51 - Posted 2011-10-27 00:19:37 »

I personally think that most developers are willing to pay a dollar to add apps if they believe in their application.
and the platform, and some sense of financial security, meaning that the license explicitly says it won't be more expensive than $...

Further, a 'yearly subscription' with '$2 for the first half of 2012' is rather odd. So you make a commitment for a year, of which you don't know what it will cost you the second half. It would scare me off, regardless the features of the product.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline tberthel
« Reply #52 - Posted 2011-10-27 00:50:04 »

and the platform, and some sense of financial security, meaning that the license explicitly says it won't be more expensive than $...

Further, a 'yearly subscription' with '$2 for the first half of 2012' is rather odd. So you make a commitment for a year, of which you don't know what it will cost you the second half. It would scare me off, regardless the features of the product.

It is once per year so 2$ would cover the whole year.

Offline nsigma
« Reply #53 - Posted 2011-10-27 08:46:48 »

If I had the government money that Apple received for R & D on the Next system then I too could charge 100$ just have people join, and your right I don't have the same marketing money to drive a Walled Garden.

So don't try and create one!

Open Source commercial projects do exist and mine is one of them.  You don't need to trust me since you can download the source unlike Apple.

Yours is not an open-source project, so please refrain from claiming it is.  Just publishing the source does not make it open source!  Maybe try looking here http://www.opensource.org/licenses/alphabetical and picking one, or at least understanding the concept.

Or not ... I can't be arsed with this thread any further.  I don't think I've met anyone with such a breathtaking inability to take constructive criticism.

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #54 - Posted 2011-10-27 09:58:58 »

I disagree. The source is visible; therefore, it is open. This is an argument over semantics and if you don't agree on the meanings you're basically arguing that oranges are apples and not going to get anywhere.

Cas Smiley

Offline nsigma
« Reply #55 - Posted 2011-10-27 10:11:49 »

I disagree. The source is visible; therefore, it is open. This is an argument over semantics and if you don't agree on the meanings you're basically arguing that oranges are apples and not going to get anywhere.

Aaarrghhh!  The pedants are revolting!  Grin

While in some ways it's a fair point, to rephrase - this is not "open-source" by the most commonly understood definition of the term, and wouldn't be legally if OSI had managed to trademark the term (the irony inherent in that step not withstanding   Smiley )

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #56 - Posted 2011-10-27 10:42:33 »

While in some ways it's a fair point, to rephrase - this is not "open-source" by the most commonly understood definition of the term, and wouldn't be legally if OSI had managed to trademark the term (the irony inherent in that step not withstanding   Smiley )
Indeed but who's to say what's "the most commonly understood definition"?

Cas Smiley

Offline tberthel
« Reply #57 - Posted 2011-10-27 10:46:04 »

I never claimed to meet the definition used by OSI.  OSI Open Source is not the only definition for open source.

I am sorry if you felt that I had tried to claim it as such.  Saying Open Source without any association with OSI does not make it OSI Open Source. 

Nor did I claim it as such.

If I say: I like an Apple because they taste good.  Does not mean I am talking about Apple the business.  Sure using lower case would probably clear it up for some people, but using caps does not change that it was in a different context.

Offline nsigma
« Reply #58 - Posted 2011-10-27 11:04:05 »

Cas Smiley

Aah, arguing semantics makes me gay, by which I of course mean happy!  Wink Language depends on commonly understood definitions, and those are constantly changing and evolving, depending on what most people understand at a given point in time.  If only there was a way to measure that, like Google, a dictionary, or Wikipedia, etc.  In fact, at least two of those are better at defining "commonly understood" than "the truth".  Grin

btw - what we're talking about here is more commonly known as shared-source.

Offline tberthel
« Reply #59 - Posted 2011-10-27 11:20:19 »

Cas Smiley

Aah, arguing semantics makes me gay, by which I of course mean happy!  Wink Language depends on commonly understood definitions, and those are constantly changing and evolving, depending on what most people understand at a given point in time.  If only there was a way to measure that, like Google, a dictionary, or Wikipedia, etc.  In fact, at least two of those are better at defining "commonly understood" than "the truth".  Grin

btw - what we're talking about here is more commonly known as shared-source.

That is used by MS$.  I am not MS$.

Instead of using the term open source I will probably just say, the source is available at GitHub instead.  So I will try hard not to use the term "Open Source" even though it is open source just to stop any confusion.  I won't use shared-source as that is MS terminology.

I should have payed more attention to what I typed.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Riven (27 views)
2014-07-10 20:20:18

CopyableCougar4 (25 views)
2014-07-10 02:26:14

CopyableCougar4 (31 views)
2014-07-09 02:55:38

Code Mage (32 views)
2014-07-08 23:57:00

Code Mage (19 views)
2014-07-08 23:49:08

AppleSauce (27 views)
2014-07-08 19:25:32

CopyableCougar4 (27 views)
2014-07-06 01:51:26

ipe369 (33 views)
2014-07-05 14:18:25

vastrolorde (43 views)
2014-07-04 18:45:44

theagentd (60 views)
2014-07-02 22:19:37
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org