I need to start getting some real 3D models into my game soon and get rid of my stupid test graphics soon, and I found myself in a sea of different file formats. I just need something basic.
- Support for, well, a 3D mesh.
- Texturing of course.
- No need for normals as I don't have lighting (yet) (so it would still be a plus)
- Support for skeleton animation (which I haven't learned yet
) bones would be awesome as I'll have to animate my units eventually
- Somewhat easily exportable from 3D software (but I can't do 3D modelling very well myself...)
- At least some available free 3D models in this format, so I can test it without having to make my own models.
I have nothing against writing my own reader/parser for the format, as long as I have the required information to do it. xd Out of pure interest, what format does the Source engine use? I recon there are an infinite number of 3D models for Garry's Mod and other games based on it so it would be fun to play with them. xD