Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  ignore  |  Print  
  Windows 8  (Read 10402 times)
Offline JL235

JGO Coder

Medals: 10

« Posted 2011-09-18 04:18:45 »

A few days ago the developer preview for Windows 8 was released, so I've been trying it out. So far I'm mostly impressed. It's a little buggy, but that is to be expected given it's the first public preview, but Metro (and especially Metro IE) is really nice to use. It all feels nice and slick. For what is essentially a tablet interface, it works surprisingly well with a mouse and keyboard. But I don't know if I'd want to use it full time, especially since it doesn't really take advantage of a second monitor (which I use).

So has anyone else been trying Windows 8 out?

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #1 - Posted 2011-09-18 05:06:14 »

Haven't. What I hate from Win8 is that you really need LiveID to get most of its features and connected to internet for all time. I feel will be spied more. But I read it'll support ARM well and has less min requirement than Win7.

Verve attracts me more Cheesy

Offline theagentd
« Reply #2 - Posted 2011-09-18 12:21:46 »

I don't like my OS moving to the cloud, because when the nuclear war happens Internet will probably go down.

Myomyomyo.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Z-Man
« Reply #3 - Posted 2011-09-18 20:08:02 »

IMO Windows 8 looks like a tablet OS. I haven't used it very much because I just installed it into a virtual machine but from what I've seen I don't like it. If Microsoft want's to make a tablet OS that's fine but I don't really think that they should try to make their PC OS into a Tablet and PC OS. I bought a PC not a tablet Tongue I'll keep my desktop thank you very much.
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 345
Projects: 2
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #4 - Posted 2011-09-19 02:03:28 »

I tried it out as soon as it was released and I gotta say, it's pretty awesome so far. The biggest pluses to me is the speed and the Ribbon in Explorer.
However, I don't like their "dashboard" thing with all the tiles, it makes it feel too much like a tablet OS.

I don't like my OS moving to the cloud, because when the nuclear war happens Internet will probably go down.
When the nuclear war happens, we'll ALL go down Wink

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #5 - Posted 2011-09-19 03:38:48 »

No other countries want to nuke my place, except myself because this is damn country where internet broadband is so **** expensive even making over half of its citizen scream when hear "cloud"  Clueless

btt, yes it has better performance. it want to support ARM afterall.

Offline JL235

JGO Coder

« Reply #6 - Posted 2011-09-19 03:41:32 »

Lots of cold war nuclear bunkers are now data centres, so your data will probably be the only thing that survives.

I tried it out as soon as it was released and I gotta say, it's pretty awesome so far. The biggest pluses to me is the speed and the Ribbon in Explorer.
However, I don't like their "dashboard" thing with all the tiles, it makes it feel too much like a tablet OS.
I mostly agree. On my PC, it boots instantly out of standby. Win7 is pretty fast, but typically not instant. But the main issue I have with Metro is that it feels like you are choosing between tablet or desktop mode, and rarely working fluidly across both.

Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #7 - Posted 2011-09-19 04:05:46 »

No other countries want to nuke my place, except myself because this is damn country where internet broadband is so **** expensive even making over half of its citizen scream when hear "cloud"  Clueless
Where do you live?

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #8 - Posted 2011-09-19 05:28:08 »

@r4king
third world

Offline theagentd
« Reply #9 - Posted 2011-09-19 08:33:48 »

@r4king
third world
Daaaaayuum... ._.

Lots of cold war nuclear bunkers are now data centres, so your data will probably be the only thing that survives.
Great. Now I just need to move to one of those.

Myomyomyo.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline gouessej
« Reply #10 - Posted 2011-09-19 09:02:52 »

I'm more worried by possible changes in the APIs used by Windows. GDI might have disappeared, Microsoft spoke about replacing it by Direct2D and DirectWrite, such a change would impact existing Java bindings for OpenGL.

Offline theagentd
« Reply #11 - Posted 2011-09-19 10:52:56 »

I'm more worried by possible changes in the APIs used by Windows. GDI might have disappeared, Microsoft spoke about replacing it by Direct2D and DirectWrite, such a change would impact existing Java bindings for OpenGL.
WHAT?! NO LWJGL ON WINDOWS 8?! Y U NO OGL, MICROSOFT?!

Myomyomyo.
Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 77
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #12 - Posted 2011-09-19 11:08:29 »

MS have been threatening to kill OGL for years, they practically spread such FUD before every windows release now and just before the release they backtrack. They'll most likely be in breach of european competition law if they do do it.

LWJGL has been reported to work fine on the Windows 8 developers preview, so should be fine unless they change something major in the official release.
Offline theagentd
« Reply #13 - Posted 2011-09-19 13:05:48 »

MS have been threatening to kill OGL for years, they practically spread such FUD before every windows release now and just before the release they backtrack. They'll most likely be in breach of european competition law if they do do it.

LWJGL has been reported to work fine on the Windows 8 developers preview, so should be fine unless they change something major in the official release.
Thanks for clearing that up!

Myomyomyo.
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 366
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #14 - Posted 2011-09-19 13:51:42 »

Windows 8 is the most interesting thing to come out of MS for 5 years. I'm really looking forward to it, as surely it's can't be more horrible than Windows 7 or Lion.

Cas Smiley

Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #15 - Posted 2011-09-20 00:05:41 »

Windows 8 is the most interesting thing to come out of MS for 5 years. I'm really looking forward to it, as surely it's can't be more horrible than Windows 7 or Lion.

Cas Smiley
Did you just call Windows 7 horrible?  Angry

I agree with any negativity towards OSX Grin

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #16 - Posted 2011-09-20 10:14:52 »

Win7 seems to me to be attempting to be Mac OS, and unfortunately copies a lot of the stuff that I hate from Mac OS. All just entirely IMHO, I'm still waiting for an OS to come along that I like to use.

Cas Smiley

Offline gouessej
« Reply #17 - Posted 2011-09-20 10:35:19 »

IE 10 on Windows 8 in Metro mode won't support plug-ins:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/14/metro-style-browsing-and-plug-in-free-html5.aspx

The most interesting thing to come out of MS for 5 years? Really? I don't think so.

Online Roquen
« Reply #18 - Posted 2011-09-20 10:35:50 »

Why on earth does everyone (myself included from time-to-time) confuse an OS with its default GUI and bundled apps?  The former is the really important part and the latter one can normally modify.
Offline gouessej
« Reply #19 - Posted 2011-09-20 10:45:18 »

Why on earth does everyone (myself included from time-to-time) confuse an OS with its default GUI and bundled apps?  The former is the really important part and the latter one can normally modify.
I agree with you but I don't do this confusion. Some people won't agree with switching to another browser Sad

Offline Cero
« Reply #20 - Posted 2011-09-20 11:06:18 »

thats because microsoft are masters at making crap look like gold
just put up a nice mask, and it LOOKS good ;]

obviously an OS is the kernel and the GUI should be entirely exchangeable, like in linux distros

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #21 - Posted 2011-09-20 11:36:20 »

thats because microsoft are masters at making crap look like gold
I thought that applied to Apple only  Clueless

Cool

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #22 - Posted 2011-09-20 11:57:05 »

The underlying OSes are on thing and on the face of it I find that they're all much the same in terms of features, performance, stability, security, etc. It's the GUI part that I have to interact with though and that's the bit that has the most fundamental effect on my productivity and day-to-day happiness. This is also why 99.99% of the world's population feels the same way - they don't care how it works under the hood. The car analogy is very appropriate. What everyone cares about is how it feels to drive. Win7 is a travesty of me-too copying Mac ideas, and the Mac is just awful to use in anger. Little things like being unable to resize windows from any corner, or the risible excuse for a file manager, or the useless waste of space that is the dock, or the menus being stuck on the top of the screen, being unable to customise the mouse pointer to a nice fat one that I can easily spot, etc. all conspire to make it a grim affair.

Cas Smiley

Offline JL235

JGO Coder

« Reply #23 - Posted 2011-09-20 14:47:15 »

Win7 is a travesty of me-too copying Mac ideas
Such as?

My brother has two Mac's, and one of the largest annoyances in using them is that my productivity drops like a stone, since I'm not used to it.

Offline Cero
« Reply #24 - Posted 2011-09-20 15:01:30 »

lol.

Yeah I agree Cas, and I also cannot use Mac for those reasons
I think the way linux does it, is the very best.

Now, if all windows programs and drivers would run natively, just like that on linux distros, it obviously wouldn't be any debate anymore.

Even graphically, there are so many GUIs and combination, and you could change everything in the gui yourself if you don't find anything suitable in the thousands of choices.
There could even be a GUI wizard that creates and/or finds a GUI according to your needs... maybe it already exists.

Online Roquen
« Reply #25 - Posted 2011-09-20 15:16:13 »

@princec - interesting. I hardly notice the OS that I'm current running via GUI cause I make them all look pretty similar. Specifically the first thing I do after installing a new OS is turn off - rip out all the flashy crap that (IHMO) serves no purpose other than to waste CPU/GPU cycles.  Plus a lot of them waste my RL time as well...animated window and scroll bar stuff FTW?  Just pop up instantly please.  10 or so years ago I never thought to myself: "Wow, I'd be so much productive if my window pane was transparent and blurred the background!"

In all seriousness windows is vastly easier to program low level stuff than other current major OSes (on the whole).  Anyone that doesn't believe me...check the documentation.  It's crazy that to perform some basic queries on unix-a-likes that you have to read text from a virtual device and parse the darn info out.  The pthreads API sucks.  Kernel level memory access? Yikes!  I've said it before and I'll repeat myself:  I think all current consumer OSes suck and I'm not a MS (or anything else) fanboy.  I just call 'em the way I see 'em.
Offline JL235

JGO Coder

« Reply #26 - Posted 2011-09-20 15:23:24 »

Again, such as???

Now, if all windows programs and drivers would run natively, just like that on linux distros, it obviously wouldn't be any debate anymore.
Drivers do run natively, and so do most applications. There are also plenty of applications on Linux which are scripted, or built using managed code.

Even graphically, there are so many GUIs and combination, and you could change everything in the gui yourself if you don't find anything suitable in the thousands of choices.
There could even be a GUI wizard that creates and/or finds a GUI according to your needs... maybe it already exists.
This is actually one of the things I really dislike about Linux. The way I see it, there is good choice, and bad choice. Good choice are the things you care about, whilst bad choice are things your forced (or encouraged) to care about. I heavily customize my Windows setup, but there are large fundamental parts which I shouldn't have to be picking, like what login manager I'm using. It's also very annoying that I should have to install KDE/Gnome/whatever just to use one particular application.

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #27 - Posted 2011-09-20 18:16:43 »

Linux annoys me even more than the other two.

Cas Smiley

Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

Medals: 202

« Reply #28 - Posted 2011-09-20 18:20:16 »

From what I'm told, WinRT looks like a sweet API ... but apparently the only deployment story there is going through Microsoft's app store.

I'm not too keen on this trend of the manufacturers making themselves gatekeepers.
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #29 - Posted 2011-09-20 19:35:03 »

Indeed, that trend is seriously worrying.

Cas Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

TehJavaDev (16 views)
2014-08-28 18:26:30

CopyableCougar4 (25 views)
2014-08-22 19:31:30

atombrot (38 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (35 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (32 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (20 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (31 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (66 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (44 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32

BurntPizza (34 views)
2014-08-08 02:01:56
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org