Games in Android Showcase (107)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (536)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Matrix:Revolutions Review !!WARNING SPOILERS!!  (Read 3655 times)
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Posted 2003-11-05 23:25:56 »

For anyone who doesn't know a "spoiler" is when a review gives away some of the secrets of the piece reviewed.  If you don't want that, stop reading this !  Smiley

Review Begins...

Matrix Revolutions: The Greatest Story Over-Told.

I must admit, I was intrigued when the Wachowski brothers released the animated matrix prequel "The Animatrix."  It clearly reversed roles and cast the humans as the original aggressors against the machine intelligences and the architects of their own destruction.  This appealed to my leftist instincts and left me actively wondering why they had made this moral twist.

Alas, the end of the third and final film, Matrix: Revolutions, makes it painfully obvious.  Stretched out in cross-position, the finale of this story is Neo goes back into the matrix to face his evil-opposite the now virus-like Agent Smith.  And how does he defeat him? By allowing Smith to win, thus, in his death, opening a path for the great machine intelligence into which he is also connected to come into the world and wipe away all the evil.

Just in case we MISSED it, the Mouse character (always a "true believer" in "the one"), on seeing that the war is over and the machines have turned around and are going home announces for all to hear "He's SAVED us!"

Oh and incase you missed THAT, we get to see Neo's body carted off on a suspiciously altar-like platform by the great Machine Intelligence and a holy electronic glow surrounding him to let us know he is ascending.

COME ON!!!  I've only see this story about 3600 times.  By reducing their man v. machine epic to yet another twisted Gospel the Warchowski brothers have reduced their story to the most trivally mundane and left me feeling I wasted 6 hours of my life getting to this point Sad

And the Animatrix?  In case it wasn't obvious, thats the Original Sin.  Can't be saved without an Original Sin you know.

**sigh** I really think they just ran out of story material after the first film and so stole the most obvious story they could.  They should have quit with the first film which, while far from perfect, at least wasn't mundane.

In the words of my to-be-preisted wife:  "Lame!"

In its defense the movie does have lots of beautiful 3D animation and other digital effects.  Its somewhat ironic that the commercial my movie theater showed before the picture featured a stunt-driver because, if this movie has any long term significance, its to signal the death of the stunt man as a profession.  It has become so cheap and so easy to do it all on computers that its not worth risking a  human for.

Maybe thats the ultimate man v. machine story that the Wachowski brothers missed.

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Games/JeffFAQ
Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Medals: 14
Projects: 19

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #1 - Posted 2003-11-06 07:28:00 »

Must.. stay.. focused...  Angry
.. must not... read.. spoilers..  Angry

I'm seeing it tonight. Cheesy

Play Minecraft!
Offline endolf

JGO Coder

Medals: 7

Current project release date: sometime in 3003

« Reply #2 - Posted 2003-11-06 10:06:06 »

Hi
 I saw it last night too, I think for a conclusion to a story it's alright, it's good fun for a few hours. The problem is that the first film in particular raised questions, so everyone spent time thinking about them and talking to their mates about it, which wrapped you up in the whole thing.  The trouble with an ending is that it's exactly that, and ending, what do we have to talk about now?, it's over?, so we are no longer envolved. Hence it not seeming so enthrawling, thats my theory anyway, but i'm no story expert Smiley. I liked it, but not as much as 1 or 2.

Now waiting for RoTK

Endolf

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #3 - Posted 2003-11-06 14:41:01 »

if this movie has any long term significance, its to signal the death of the stunt man as a profession.  It has become so cheap and so easy to do it all on computers that its not worth risking a  human for.

You should have stayed for the credits

"...and this year's oscar for longest credits ever in any movie goes to...Matrix Revolutions!" Smiley (looks like they included *everyone*)

IIRC stunt-men outnumbered every other type of staff - except carpenters, interestingly enough Smiley.

There were of course a lot of 3D animators, and perhaps they were split between different teams so that it seems there were fewer than there were. I'm afraid I wasn't paying *that* much attention, so... Smiley

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #4 - Posted 2003-11-06 17:35:53 »

Well that might be YOUR problem.  Mine is that I effectively spent all day on an airplane just to land someplace I had already been more times then I can count.

Thats the let down and disappointment, that I could've saved the $50 bucks and just gone to church with my wife and heard the same story Sad

Unoriginal, unimaginative and a heck of a let down after such a long build up.

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

Offline endolf

JGO Coder

« Reply #5 - Posted 2003-11-06 17:45:06 »

$50 Huh, find another cinema mate Smiley, I had to pay £6.30 for the last one (about 9 dollars), and considered that expensive for a cinema ticket, £5 ($7.50)  is more reasonable

Smiley

And on the problem front, it's on of many problems I have Smiley

Endolf

Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

Medals: 120
Projects: 23
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #6 - Posted 2003-11-06 17:49:01 »

And on the problem front, it's one of many problems I have  

I'll vouch for that Smiley

Kev

Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #7 - Posted 2003-11-06 19:15:55 »

$50 Huh, find another cinema mate Smiley, I had to pay £6.30 for the last one (about 9 dollars), and considered that expensive for a cinema ticket, £5 ($7.50)  is more reasonable

Damn close to $15.00 a ticket for prime time in the US now (but the theatres ARE excellent) x2 (Reloaded/Revolutions) + $20.00 for the Animatrix DVD == $50

Offline rdcarvallo

Projects: 5
Exp: 15 years

2D Java games forever!

« Reply #8 - Posted 2003-11-06 21:49:26 »

In the middle of the movie I was trying to recall some messiah/prophet blind..  Cheesy

Now I WANT to see a Dragon Ball Z movie.
It's possible!! Grin

Rafael
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Projects: 1

END OF LINE.

« Reply #9 - Posted 2003-11-07 03:03:25 »

* FAN BOY ALERT ON *

I loved it.  Ok, so it's not the most original story out there.  I'm fine with that.  We already concluded that Neo was god like in the first movie.  So it should end the way it did does not suprise me in the least.  I think that the Wachowski brothers were able to tell it in a manner that was effective and fun.

I really feel that Reloaded and Revolutions fell under the weight of the first movie where you were discovering this world along with Neo.  You were a participant in the story.  The last 2 movies had you watching from the sidelines, cheering the good guys on.

All in all, I think that the W Bros gave us another trillogy to look at over and over again for years to come.

Now!  Bring on ROTK!

-ChrisM

BTW, Notice that my pic over there has me against a circuit board with an otherworldly glow as well.  Bits bow down before me!

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #10 - Posted 2003-11-07 07:01:25 »

I loved it!

But I really don't see what Reloaded has to do with Revolutions. The only thing they had in common was the growing power/numbers of Smith, and perhaps that the Megn.. Mov^H^Hev.. Frenchman was in both.. And they both had "minor" parts in this one.
A great number of subplots (and even major plots, such as the iterative nature of the matrix) from Reloaded was just ignored for Revolutions.

But as I said, I still loved it. And I loved Reloaded as well. They're not on par with the original Matrix, but they're definitly great movies.

Oh, and there was boobies. =D

Play Minecraft!
Offline endolf

JGO Coder

« Reply #11 - Posted 2003-11-07 07:12:42 »

Oh, and there was boobies. =D

The whole cinema cheered when those first came on, i'm assuming your talking about the french blokes lady friend? Smiley

Endolf

Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #12 - Posted 2003-11-07 07:41:04 »

Yes.

<i>pure art</i>

Play Minecraft!
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #13 - Posted 2003-11-07 07:44:45 »

Yeah, thats how bored I was... I found myself staring at them trying to figure out how much they had to "push her up" to get that shot.  

And I'm sorry Chris, but if I wanted to see the passion, I'd get a GOOD passion-play out, like Last Temptation or even J C Superstar.

Reducing the whole thing to a passion play IMO just showed an amazing void of creative story thought.

The original Matrix was interesting because it went to new places.  Revolutions was almost like the magician showing you the wires and saying "See!  Fooled You!  Its not magic at all, just the same old everyday stuff."

Frankly, I think Revolutions detracted from and to some degree ruined The Matrix.

Jeff

Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #14 - Posted 2003-11-07 07:52:31 »

I have to admit though, it did leave me with one thought I find highly amusing.

I wonder how many fan boy kiddies out there who are gonna rave about this film cause they think they are suppsoed to will realize that the Wachowski brothers tricked them into doing something they absolutely refused to do for their parents.....

... go to church!

Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #15 - Posted 2003-11-07 08:06:27 »

.. the difference being that the church claims that their story is the truth, and even make some rather nasty threats. Wink

It's a good story and all (jebus/neo/superman), I just don't like how christians have chosen to tell it.

But let's not turn this into a religious flamewar.
*drops thread, calls System.gc()*

Play Minecraft!
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #16 - Posted 2003-11-07 08:36:50 »

Well... I'm jewish.  My wife is on the path to be a VERY liberal episcopal priest.  So my perspective is at least UNUSUAL on all this.

As I said somewhere else, I have no intention of getting into a  debate on the truth or fiction of the traditional christain belief system.  But the fact that the great revelation of the story of The Matrix turns out to be a by-the-numbers telling of the passion just annoys me as hackneyd and imagination-less story telling.

Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #17 - Posted 2003-11-07 09:19:03 »

I kinda like that bit, to be honest.

It starts out new and facinating, then it ties back into one of the greatest myths (or truths if you prefer) ever.. it gets very epic, if slightly predictable.

They probably could've been a tad more subtle, though.

Play Minecraft!
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Projects: 1

END OF LINE.

« Reply #18 - Posted 2003-11-07 11:03:34 »

Jeff - Enjoy the beauty of a sunrise for the beauty of a sunrise, not for the light refracting off the atmosphere in a cyclical pattern that happens over and over and over again Smiley

I KNOW what the story is.  Fine.  They wrapped it up with superhero powers and technobabble.  Fantastic!

I loved it Smiley

-Chris

Offline endolf

JGO Coder

« Reply #19 - Posted 2003-11-07 11:41:25 »

Hi
 Thats the best i've heard it put for aaaaages Smiley

Endolf

Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #20 - Posted 2003-11-07 18:17:12 »

I guess all I can say is "There is no arguing taste." (A thougth so old the romans had a phrase for it.)

I was looking/hoping for something more original and less heavy-handed.  If it worked for you, thats great.  I'd honestly rather you be happy then unhappy.  Feelign let-down isn't nearly as much fun. :/

P.S.  And for all the talk of "sunrises" lets face it Chris, it had big guns and big explosions, which is enough for you Smiley  Unfortunately that not true for me Sad

Offline endolf

JGO Coder

« Reply #21 - Posted 2003-11-07 22:24:09 »

So what *is* your kinda movie (using examples) Smiley

Endolf

Offline shawnkendall

« Reply #22 - Posted 2003-11-08 02:25:08 »

Just saw it.
I completely, possibly more so agree, with Jeff.

Revolutions completely RUINS the Matrix mythology, but really in the last moment of Reloaded when Neo gets his "real world" super-powers, that just lit the fuse that Revolutions exploded on.

It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
Signifying nothing.

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
http://www.facebook.com/BermudaDash
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #23 - Posted 2003-11-08 08:09:45 »

Okay,

Since I was asked, some films I consider Great Films, with directors ...

The Stuntman -- Richard Rush
The Godfather -- Francis Ford Coppola
2001 -- Stanley Kubrik (Flawed but brilliant)
Blade Runner -- Ridley Scott
The Conversation -- Francis Ford Coppola

Some films I consider very very good films:

Memento - Christopher Nolan
Fight Club - David Fincher
Planet of the Apes (original) -- Franklin J Schaffner
The Usual Suspects (raised above "B" status by an unusually good and literate script.)

Some films I consider extremely well constructed "B" movies:

Alien -- Ridley Scott
Aliens -- James Cameron
Highlander -- Ray Austin
The Matrix -- Wachowskis (flawed but with much that redeems it)
Ladyhawke -- Richard Donner (No Donner party jokes please)

Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #24 - Posted 2003-11-08 08:27:04 »

It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
Signifying nothing.

lol I was gonna use that quote but it didn't work well into the rest of the review Smiley

100% agreed in return.

JK

Offline cfmdobbie

Who, me?

« Reply #25 - Posted 2003-11-09 01:20:57 »

Just seen it, loved it.

I really wasn't expecting a huge plot, and there wasn't one!  The fact is that while many scriptwriters can handle an original and interesting plot enough to fill one film, very few can cover three - that takes a real genius.  The Matrix had the interesting plot, the philosophical theory, and spawned all the debates.  Reloaded and Revolutions were purely there for the entertainment, in my opinion.

Action in abundance!  The battle for the Dock was one of the best action scenes I've seen in a long time.  There were lots of good "oshit" moments as yet another wave came in, each bigger than the last.

Excellent special effects

I love the way that with all that technology the best way of reloading the mechs was a wheelbarrow filled with ammo crates, and a guy content to run very fast...  Or that while an EMP would end the battle, they didn't think to install one in the Dock...  Or that they have EMP technology but neither the machines nor the humans worked out how to harden a system against it...  Or "Sentinel", aka "killer-mari" Cheesy

Good fun and an enjoyable couple of hours.  But yes, bring on RotK! Grin

Hellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.
Offline William

No Exit

« Reply #26 - Posted 2003-11-09 15:44:51 »

The Matrix trilogy made me realize how good the original Star Wars trilogy really is. Compare the horrible ending of Matrix: Reloaded to that of The Empire Strikes Back. Compare the drawn-out boring action-stopping expressions of love in Matrix: Revolutions to those of both A New Hope, where Luke's interest in Leia comes through as Han Solo jokingly wonders if Leia would be interested in a simple smuggler like him, or Return of a Jedi, where Solo feels down because he thinks Leia loves Luke and Leia turns the scene by revealing that Luke is her brother.

Star Wars also left its demographics-widening prostitution to its recent prequels while Revolutions seemed to have several scenes whose only purpose appears to be to include a wider demographic in the movie. The scene where mouse saves the day by jumping into the robot suit feels very cliche (his whole maturation subplot could have been cut, and probably would have been, if they had a teenage protagonist with a meaningful role in the story). Also, the scenes where the women fire rockets on the attacking robots has no connection to the story whatsoever and would probably have been cut if it wasn't for marketing.

Another thing, wasn't the plug in the back of Neo's head missing when he fought Bane? I looked for it, but couldn't see it. I assumed that the fight would be revealed to be some kind of matrix-illusion and that Neo really didn't get his eyes burnt out. If it was a mistake, this is really the wrong movie for it.
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #27 - Posted 2003-11-09 23:46:04 »

ANother continuity issue I noticed.

In The MAtrix they removed everything  but his head plug.

But in Revolutions  A couple times we see people with more thenone plug down their backs (I notcied it because it seemed odd.)

And at the end Neo plugs back in for his crucixion across his entire body.

Yes the IMO third star Wars film was better then the third Matrix film but in myc ase thats faint praise.  I liekd the first half of the third SW fil, but it wasn't Star Wars, it was Koozbane  (the Muppet Show's alien planet).  I happen to be a big muppet fan so i enjoyed it but it didnt really fit.  I found the second half of that movie anti-climactic (oh lets go destroy ANOTHER Death Star) and terrilby constucted (they kept intercutting the boring footage of luke and the emporer-- whichw as suppsoed to be tension building-- with comic relief in the damn Teddy Bears with Seige Engines scene.)

I actually think the middle movie (Empire) was weaker then Reloaded, but thats just IMO.

Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #28 - Posted 2003-11-29 13:37:18 »

The 1st half of The Matrix got me intrigued, the 2nd half left me disappointed. I think Reloaded was noisy, over pretentious crap disguised using lots of stunts and visual effects.
That's why I won't bother with Revolutions.
Well, maybe I'll rent it someday when I'm extremely bored  Grin

Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #29 - Posted 2003-11-29 18:29:53 »

The 1st half of The Matrix got me intrigued, the 2nd half left me disappointed. I think Reloaded was noisy, over pretentious crap disguised using lots of stunts and visual effects.
That's why I won't bother with Revolutions.
Well, maybe I'll rent it someday when I'm extremely bored  Grin

Well Revolutions was just as noisy and just as crappy, but they can't even manage to keep up the pretensions Sad

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Riven (18 views)
2014-07-29 18:09:19

Riven (13 views)
2014-07-29 18:08:52

Dwinin (12 views)
2014-07-29 10:59:34

E.R. Fleming (31 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (12 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (42 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (41 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (28 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (29 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16

ctomni231 (60 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org