Games in Android Showcase (110)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (548)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Fuzzy - a Java Platformer  (Read 5449 times)
Offline Gornova

Medals: 1
Projects: 3

« Posted 2011-09-05 07:36:36 »

Hi!
I'm a fan of Java programming and in my spare time I've developed a little game, called Fuzzy.

You can find all info here:

http://randomtower.blogspot.com/2011/09/fuzzy-is-out.html

Have fun!

and source code here:

https://github.com/Gornova/MarteEngine/tree/dev

p.s: Fuzzy source code is inside a library I've wrote with Tommy (another Java developer), named MarteEngine, please see on wiki for more informations!

Blog | Last game Drone Defense 0.2 | In progress Drone Defense
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 345
Projects: 2
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2011-09-05 09:20:53 »

Really good looking game! It ran smoothly and was quite fun. I do want to suggest adding checkpoints because it got very annoying to restart the entire level when I fall off the map near the end, agghhhhhh.

An applet version would be nice for those who don't like to download things.

Great job!

Offline gouessej
« Reply #2 - Posted 2011-09-05 09:43:59 »

Hi

I wanted to give it a try but it works only on Windows, I looked at the ZIP file Sad Maybe I will try again if you use an applet or Java Web Start.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 345
Projects: 2
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #3 - Posted 2011-09-05 10:03:04 »

gouessej,
Try manually putting the native files for your OS to make it work.

@OP,
You should include the natives for all operating systems so that it could run in all environments.

Offline Cero
« Reply #4 - Posted 2011-09-05 11:27:51 »

stuck on level select. I can press whatever I want nothing happens, except for ESC which brings me back to the title screen and M which toggles music.

also save.dat cannot be found, might be normal with no prior save game, still an error is debug

Offline woogley
« Reply #5 - Posted 2011-09-05 11:29:48 »

stuck on level select. I can press whatever I want nothing happens, except for ESC which brings me back to the title screen and M which toggles music.

You have to actually use your mouse to click on the level number. This confused me for a bit too (nothing else in the game uses the mouse!)
Offline woogley
« Reply #6 - Posted 2011-09-05 11:32:55 »

Nice little game! I found level select a bit confusing (see above 2 posts), otherwise it was pretty straightforward. Also, the collision seems odd, e.g. if I touch a crawling slime thing from the right side, it doesn't hurt me.

Here's a linux version for others to try. Execute the 'run' file from the terminal (tested with ubuntu 10.04 / sun-java-6):

http://74.207.233.86/Fuzzy-v1.0-linux.tar.gz

edit: I should note that I am using the 64 bit libraries here.
Offline gouessej
« Reply #7 - Posted 2011-09-05 11:35:46 »

gouessej,
Try manually putting the native files for your OS to make it work.
I can do it but a casual gamer (not a coder) would not accept to do it and more than 8% desktop computers use Mac OS (about 1% use Linux Sad). The JAR is provided (FuzzyMain.jar), it would not be difficult to use an applet or Java Web Start, sign all JARs with the same certificate, just add one line into the JNLP file to load LWJGL and one line per JAR (some libraries are in /lib inside the ZIP file). If the author does not like applets and Web Start, he can use GetDown, NetX, IzPack or any other cross-platform installer. I expect from a Java game to work on the major families of operating system, not only Windows Sad

Nice little game! I found level select a bit confusing (see above 2 posts), otherwise it was pretty straightforward. Also, the collision seems odd, e.g. if I touch a crawling slime thing from the right side, it doesn't hurt me.

Here's a linux version for others to try. Execute the 'run' file from the terminal (tested with ubuntu 10.04 / sun-java-6):

http://74.207.233.86/Fuzzy-v1.0-linux.tar.gz
Good piece of news Smiley Thank you. I'm going to test it immediately.

Edit.: The Linux version works fine (only on 64 bits machine). It is nice to hear than OpenAL just works fine Smiley The game is nice and fluid, I played with it a few minutes, this is a good base for a larger platformer.

Offline Cero
« Reply #8 - Posted 2011-09-05 12:39:22 »

You have to actually use your mouse to click on the level number. This confused me for a bit too (nothing else in the game uses the mouse!)

That explains it.

I like the music in-game.
Jumping should never be UP/W, you always should jump with a button (well its a keyboard here...) but I just usw X, and space should be jumping too
up to jump is a no-no =D
also the camera is kinda unstable... hard to explain but everybody should notice, sometimes its not smooth and jerks around; yeah hard to explain

graphically polished

how many levels can you play / finish ? not sure if I just dont find the way in level 3 Grin

Offline Gornova

« Reply #9 - Posted 2011-09-05 14:41:33 »

wow, thanks for suggestions Cheesy

levels are 11 for now!

about linux and mac and applet versions: after some initial feedback are on the list Cheesy

camera: I knew that but I don't find a decent solution, maybe search on Jgo will help me Cheesy

thanks anyone have played it!

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 76
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #10 - Posted 2011-09-05 14:46:48 »

didn't work for me on mac, so took the liberty to create a cross platform jar  Grin, get it here. Should work just by double clicking it (on mac, linux and windows or alternatively run from cmd prompt using "java -jar fuzzy-v1.0.jar".
Offline Cero
« Reply #11 - Posted 2011-09-05 16:01:43 »

camera: I knew that but I don't find a decent solution, maybe search on Jgo will help me Cheesy

Maybe it doesn't help at all, but this is (simplified) how I do it in my game:
public void adjustCamera()
{
      camera.setLocation(protagonist.getX()+(TileMap.TEXTURE_SIZE)-(screenWidth/2),
              protagonist.getY()+(TileMap.TEXTURE_SIZE)-(screenHeight/2));

if ((int)camera.x < 0) { camera.x = 0; }
      if ((int)camera.y < 0) { camera.y = 0; }
      if ((int)camera.x > getTileMap().getPixelWidth()-screenWidth)
      {
         camera.x = (getTileMap().getPixelWidth()-screenWidth);
      }
      if ((int)camera.y > getTileMap().getPixelHeight()-screenHeight)
      {
         camera.y = (getTileMap().getPixelHeight()-screenHeight);
      }
}

Camera is just a Rect x,y,width,height.
Parallax scrolling cameras obviously behave a little different.

Offline Gornova

« Reply #12 - Posted 2011-09-05 19:43:33 »

my problem with camera is that I want something like cave story like, where camera don't jump with player position

Offline Cero
« Reply #13 - Posted 2011-09-05 23:18:14 »

beat it

boss is way to easy ? i just stood there and it died, because it came from below Grin

You have win!!

I guess it's on purpose ? =D

Offline dr-snipe

Senior Newbie

Projects: 1

« Reply #14 - Posted 2011-09-07 01:03:00 »

Nice little game. The graphics were great and gameplay was quite solid.  Smiley

Offline max1238

« Reply #15 - Posted 2011-09-28 12:58:33 »

A Nice game. Smiley
Offline Gornova

« Reply #16 - Posted 2011-10-03 21:20:14 »

Thanks again, yes boss is really easy, I know that Cheesy

Any ideas from Fuzzy's players? Some levels too difficult or easy ?

Offline Gornova

« Reply #17 - Posted 2011-10-10 18:57:33 »

added version for linux 64 bit, here more info: http://randomtower.blogspot.com/2011/10/fuzzy-for-linux.html

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print