games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Arcane Nebula 1.0  (Read 7786 times)
Offline Cero
« Posted 2011-08-27 16:02:15 »

I just wanted to make a small game, in a short time. Kinda inspired by Ludum Dare, I made this within 3 days (not non-stop though =D), while recycling graphics from older projects of mine and code from my main project.
So I started to program on a concept I wanted to do for a while now.
This game uses a arcade gameplay to show the direction - however my final vision for this is much more elaborate/vast and not as much arcade, although action packed.
Anyway, I'm done with this now and pretty busy with my main project again.

Offline Cero
« Reply #1 - Posted 2011-08-27 17:26:39 »

Music streaming is a little slow at first and making the game stutter on weaker machines.
Should run fine after that initial time.

Should've made a loading screen or something - well whatever.

Offline jojoh

JGO Knight

Medals: 5
Projects: 7

games4j.com

« Reply #2 - Posted 2011-08-27 20:29:06 »

Nice game, but you should maybe let the different ships behave and especially move a bit more differently. As it is now, I quickly got a big tail of ships, all lumped together. That also caused the game to slow down quite a bit when I let many of the too close to me. Then it seem like the game tries to compensate for the low framerate, and goes into super high gamespeed for a second or so, making the ship fly clear across the whole world practically instantly.

The bullets are also very difficult to avoid. Maybe slow them down just a little bit so that it makes sense to try to avoid them.

Good graphics and sound, and is close to be quite fun to play as well.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Cero
« Reply #3 - Posted 2011-08-27 21:43:20 »

Then it seem like the game tries to compensate for the low framerate, and goes into super high gamespeed for a second or so, making the ship fly clear across the whole world practically instantly.

Yeah I'm going back to frame-based programming =D

Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 350
Projects: 3
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #4 - Posted 2011-08-28 10:59:16 »

Quite fun! Looking at the map: holy crap so many enemies!!!

BTW, an applet would have been nice Wink

Offline Cero
« Reply #5 - Posted 2011-08-28 13:18:01 »

BTW, an applet would have been nice Wink

yeah I couldn't do it.
It's supposed to be very easy with slick but it seems I couldn't get the html and folder structure to get right

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #6 - Posted 2011-08-29 03:18:36 »

Music streaming is a little slow at first and making the game stutter on weaker machines.
Ouch  Sad

btw you have some spaces on your first post. should it be place for screenshots? cause I can't see them if yes

Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 350
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #7 - Posted 2011-08-29 06:19:50 »

Ouch  Sad

btw you have some spaces on your first post. should it be place for screenshots? cause I can't see them if yes
Is ImageShack blocked for you?

Offline Addictman

Senior Duke

Medals: 3
Projects: 1

Java games rock!

« Reply #8 - Posted 2011-08-29 07:22:06 »

Then it seem like the game tries to compensate for the low framerate, and goes into super high gamespeed for a second or so, making the ship fly clear across the whole world practically instantly.

Yeah I'm going back to frame-based programming =D

Don't! Smiley Give your delta value a ceiling.

public void update(double delta)
{
  if(delta > X) delta = X;
}

Offline gouessej
« Reply #9 - Posted 2011-08-29 08:14:19 »

Hi

Do you plan to use Java Web Start or an applet?

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Cero
« Reply #10 - Posted 2011-08-29 11:37:58 »

Don't! Smiley Give your delta value a ceiling.

public void update(double delta)
{
  if(delta > X) delta = X;
}

Well... I'm gonna remember that for the future, but for now I'm liking frame-based programming very much. You cap your framerate to a solid 60, and then the game can never run at a different speed, unless the machine is not powerful enough, in which case it would just be slower... which is rightfully so, if the machine doesn't meet system requirements.

Hi

Do you plan to use Java Web Start or an applet?
I don't. Mainly I don't wanna fiddle around with it anymore.

Don't like webstarts too much...
Also never down a webstart; got a java.io.IOException: File too large exception, gave up =P

Applet I tried, like I said, but no idea where to put the jar, the external jars (not included in my jar, separate folder), the natives(also separate folder), how to write the html; even though it's Slick and should work without change of code, I just don't care enough to get it working.
It ships the vm and an exe file, as well as an installer - meaning my windows version shall always be like your usual C++ game.
I know that some of us geeks here use something else than windows, but in comparison... well you know the story.

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #11 - Posted 2011-08-30 05:09:34 »

Is ImageShack blocked for you?
yes, imagesuck and photof**ket are forbidden  Lips Sealed

Offline Cero
« Reply #12 - Posted 2011-08-31 23:56:24 »

Also the game is kinda similar to Sinistar, is it not ?  Just without Sinistar...

I HUNGER

Offline gouessej
« Reply #13 - Posted 2011-09-01 09:14:21 »

Also never down a webstart; got a java.io.IOException: File too large exception, gave up =P

Applet I tried, like I said, but no idea where to put the jar, the external jars (not included in my jar, separate folder), the natives(also separate folder), how to write the html; even though it's Slick and should work without change of code, I just don't care enough to get it working.
It ships the vm and an exe file, as well as an installer - meaning my windows version shall always be like your usual C++ game.
I know that some of us geeks here use something else than windows, but in comparison... well you know the story.
If you don't want to get a "java.io.IOException: File too large", don't use FatJar and things like that, split your application into several JARs.

Some people use Mac OS X too. I see you don't mind Linux and Mac OS X users, some of them aren't geeks, that's your choice. I hope that you won't do the same thing for your next projects.

Offline Cero
« Reply #14 - Posted 2011-09-01 10:41:10 »

If you don't want to get a "java.io.IOException: File too large", don't use FatJar and things like that, split your application into several JARs.

Some people use Mac OS X too. I see you don't mind Linux and Mac OS X users, some of them aren't geeks, that's your choice. I hope that you won't do the same thing for your next projects.

To tell you the truth, I'm all for cross platforming... I mean its one of the reasons I use java to begin with.
And with this project it wouldn't be difficult to port it really (aside from the fact that I have no mac to test)
But with my main project I kinda lean towards concentration on windows primarily.

It's just economics, apart from public statistics which say something similar: my website has been visited by 95% windows users.
So by default thats the amount of focus I should give the windows version.
And my main project features video playback and stuff, code which just isnt portable at all. Which means you have to, at least for this part, write different code for all 3 platforms

Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

Medals: 26
Exp: 6 years

One for all!

« Reply #15 - Posted 2011-09-03 22:34:54 »

Applet or webstart please Smiley Couldn't move the ship enough to stay alive at all.

Offline Cero
« Reply #16 - Posted 2011-09-05 11:28:46 »

Couldn't move the ship enough to stay alive at all.

like I said, first seconds may be screwed up. but then it should be fine.

Offline SwampChicken
« Reply #17 - Posted 2011-09-07 02:58:55 »

Run coward.. RRUUUNNN!

Wink

Also the game is kinda similar to Sinistar, is it not ?  Just without Sinistar...

I HUNGER
Offline TheUzo007

Junior Duke

« Reply #18 - Posted 2011-09-20 18:17:17 »

It is quite fun to play but I think it would be better if I could move my ship with WSAD keys so that I could avoid enemy fire more easily. Maybe you could do that player can choose how he wants to move the ship.
Some background would be nice, not just black color.
Bottom line, nice game.

Offline Cero
« Reply #19 - Posted 2012-02-14 12:36:44 »

Not sure why, but this game was added to Softpedia by them.
Well I'm not gonna complain of course =D

Click to Play

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Longarmx (45 views)
2014-10-17 03:59:02

Norakomi (36 views)
2014-10-16 15:22:06

Norakomi (27 views)
2014-10-16 15:20:20

lcass (31 views)
2014-10-15 16:18:58

TehJavaDev (61 views)
2014-10-14 00:39:48

TehJavaDev (61 views)
2014-10-14 00:35:47

TehJavaDev (51 views)
2014-10-14 00:32:37

BurntPizza (67 views)
2014-10-11 23:24:42

BurntPizza (39 views)
2014-10-11 23:10:45

BurntPizza (81 views)
2014-10-11 22:30:10
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org