Games in Android Showcase (114)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (563)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  ignore  |  Print  
  Brainstorming the future  (Read 16387 times)
Offline tberthel
« Reply #90 - Posted 2011-08-30 03:43:05 »

I would still like to see cas have his repository of code listed on the resources page.

Along with mine: https://github.com/AllBinary/AllBinary-Platform

Offline moogie

JGO Knight

Medals: 12
Projects: 6
Exp: 10 years

Java games rock!

« Reply #91 - Posted 2011-08-31 04:21:21 »

These days I really dont have the time to spend on grand games (or start said grand games Tongue ) so I really enjoy the Java4k competition when it comes around. And it seems I am not alone, every year we get significant number of entries.

Whist there has been many different competitions through out the years that have attempted to gain the popularity of the Java4k comp, none really took off.

Perhaps we can take a page from the ludum dare competition and so something similar for the JGO community. i.e. short period of time to produce something. But to lower the barrier of entry, perhaps instead of a full game (although that will not stopped) someone (or a team) will make an frame work and "working" very basic game for the competition which the competitors can plug in their own components into.

Benefits I can think of:
-The framework / game is designed such that it is possible to replace components at a higher and higher level of abstraction giving the competitors varying levels of scope and thus varying levels difficulty and time comittment.
-Potential for "Mash Up" games were components for various competitors are plugged into the frame work to produce different "games"
-Able to form teams as individuals have a clear component interface to implement so members need not be in the same timezone.
-Competitors will have instant feed back on game play when they are developing their component when they plug in the component into the game framework.

Detriments:
-Large upfront effort for the competition organisers to create the game framework.
-Unclear how to judge competitors... tiers based on level of abstraction impelmented?

Hmmm not sure whether it would be fesiable...

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 793
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #92 - Posted 2011-09-01 21:25:50 »

I spent three hours on this portal, so don't hold back! (view in a modern browser)

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Z-Man
« Reply #93 - Posted 2011-09-01 21:42:42 »

I spent three hours on this portal, so don't hold back! (view in a modern browser)
:O It's awesome. I'm sure Cas will enjoy it too Wink
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 378
Projects: 3

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #94 - Posted 2011-09-01 21:55:31 »

Looking great, hehe  Cool

Cas Smiley

Offline moogie

JGO Knight

Java games rock!

« Reply #95 - Posted 2011-09-01 21:59:31 »

Not bad Tongue

seriously pretty great for 3 hrs work!

A suggestion: instead of applying a semi-transparant mask to the featured games pics, perhaps use slightly smaller pics but when you mouse over them the large pic is shown. So you still get the effect of not overly focusing the user on the pics rather than the rest of the content but still allowing the page to look "vibrant".
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #96 - Posted 2011-09-01 22:08:50 »

Growing/shrinking thumbnails will probably make the webpage act pretty chaotic.

I just reduced the transparancy a fair bit, and removed the black caption. Better?

Offline moogie

JGO Knight

Java games rock!

« Reply #97 - Posted 2011-09-01 22:54:24 »

yeah, personally i like it better, but don't base your design on just my opinions Tongue
Offline Z-Man
« Reply #98 - Posted 2011-09-01 23:09:06 »

I agree with moogie it looks better like that, does anyone else think it looks a bit odd that the header area is wider then the rest of the page... or is that just me?

EDIT: Never mind I just realized that the header area scales to the width of your browser... my bad  Lips Sealed
Offline Sinuath

Medals: 2

« Reply #99 - Posted 2011-09-02 03:13:30 »

Geez i felt bad for taking so long to reply when i first saw the first page.

the site needs strippers and blackjack

Hey [you][/you], you should totally check out my boring Site ~ http://davediel.com/chris
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline dishmoth
« Reply #100 - Posted 2011-09-02 06:29:16 »

Looks great!

First thoughts:
- Developers would have to provide thumbnails in a consistent aspect ratio (not a big deal, just an observation).
- How would you keep the voting fair?  (I'm already wondering how to rig it in my favour... persecutioncomplex)  Would the focus be on recent submissions (Showcase), or established classics (Featured Games)?
- Will Revenge of the Titans really be offered at a discount for JGO members? Wink
Simon

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 378

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #101 - Posted 2011-09-02 09:01:50 »

(I think mostly anyone on JGO who wanted it has already got it by now!)

Cas Smiley

Offline dishmoth
« Reply #102 - Posted 2011-09-02 09:59:37 »

(I think mostly anyone on JGO who wanted it has already got it by now!)
(Twice in my case thanks to HIBs 2&3. Smiley)

More thoughts:
- Is it really worth separating Desktop and Mobile?  I don't recall seeing any Android games in the Showcase that don't also have a Desktop version for testing (I could be wrong).
- Instead of Desktop and Mobile, how about Showcase and Featured (but with better names)?  'Showcase' so that members' work-in-progress gets some exposure.  'Featured' so that visitors are shown games they might actually want to play.
- Also, how about an occasional section for entries/winners in recent contests (Java4k, LD)?

Simon

Offline philfrei
« Reply #103 - Posted 2011-09-02 10:45:38 »

In terms of additional competitions, I think it would be good to emphasize polish and finished quality as opposed to speed of programming or size limits. Work on the publicity/message that Java can produce the highest-quality product! (As good as Flash or C++ or  whatever...)

Towards that end, maybe some sort of Acadamy Awards for the best Showcase entries of the year. Can have a few different categories--best 3D, best fps (I meant first-person shooter, not frames per second), best puzzler, etc., also best interfaces, best graphic design, best sound design, best AI. Other category suggestions?

Can be a two-stage process, i.e., with nominations. Only members with X posts and Y appreciation or some other criteria can participate in the "final stage" vote? Links to these games should be easily findable/discoverable by the general public. Understand, too, that this can be about contributing to Java Games as a whole, first and foremost, not just about the individual glory.

[When I first saw "my" name on this thread, I was pretty shocked. I entertained the notion that it was due to having made several annoying posts on the general area with questions and suggestions, combined with the shock of discovering I was so high on the "Awesome" list (#5 -- but things are trending down to something more reasonable now, especially given I neither know anything about programming 3D nor have completed a Java game.) It took a revisit to figure out the clever ruse. I had that "exploding head" feeling that I've come to learn means something suspicious is going on.]

"Greetings my friends! We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives!" -- The Amazing Criswell
Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 77
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #104 - Posted 2011-09-02 10:54:24 »

I spent three hours on this portal
Oh nice.

so don't hold back! (view in a modern browser)
*kappa notices screenshots/tumbnails that don't respect the aspect ratio!
Click to Play
[you]
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #105 - Posted 2011-09-02 11:05:26 »

*kappa notices screenshots/tumbnails that don't respect the aspect ratio!
Click to Play
[you]
You seem to take 'don't hold back' quite literally Cheesy

In a 'real' version of the portal, the images will be scaled and cropped to retain their aspect ratio.

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #106 - Posted 2011-09-02 11:29:49 »

- How would you keep the voting fair?  (I'm already wondering how to rig it in my favour... persecutioncomplex)  Would the focus be on recent submissions (Showcase), or established classics (Featured Games)?
It will be reasonably fair, and kept that way, by not revealing the algorithm. I love blackbox ratings.

I agree with moogie it looks better like that, does anyone else think it looks a bit odd that the header area is wider then the rest of the page... or is that just me?
My earlier attempt at setting the forum to a fixed width, was not appreciated. Maybe I'll use that CSS to fix the width of the header on the portal.

More thoughts:
- Is it really worth separating Desktop and Mobile?  I don't recall seeing any Android games in the Showcase that don't also have a Desktop version for testing (I could be wrong).
- Instead of Desktop and Mobile, how about Showcase and Featured (but with better names)?  'Showcase' so that members' work-in-progress gets some exposure.  'Featured' so that visitors are shown games they might actually want to play.
At the moment it's just a caption that can be changed easily. It might change during development, on launch, and over time.

- Also, how about an occasional section for entries/winners in recent contests (Java4k, LD)?
Easy enough, technically.

In terms of additional competitions, I think it would be good to emphasize polish and finished quality as opposed to speed of programming or size limits. Work on the publicity/message that Java can produce the highest-quality product! (As good as Flash or C++ or  whatever...)
I think that the community votes will determine what we deem most valuable. Any attempt to artificially impose a direction will likely result in less meaningful votes.

Towards that end, maybe some sort of Acadamy Awards for the best Showcase entries of the year. Can have a few different categories--best 3D, best fps (I meant first-person shooter, not frames per second), best puzzler, etc., also best interfaces, best graphic design, best sound design, best AI. Other category suggestions?
I don't think this community is large enough to supply enough content to create a distinct set of games for each category.

Understand, too, that this can be about contributing to Java Games as a whole, first and foremost, not just about the individual glory.
That's the whole reason I'm putting work into this. Wink

Offline JL235

JGO Coder

Medals: 10

« Reply #107 - Posted 2011-09-02 12:26:46 »

Mostly, I think the portal front mockup looks great.

However I agree with others that the top bar shouldn't be full width. Personally I think this should be applied site wide, but maybe a touch wider then the width you have on the portal mockup.

I think the top bar should also be changed. On the portal the 'JGO' logo should be bigger, and more prominent, and on other pages the top bar should be as thin as possible (like on Twitter or Facebook).

However the one big issue I have is the JGO forum theme; I think this should also be revamped as I feel it really holds the site back. Those header and bottom bar sections on each box are too heavy; without scrolling there are 12 of them on the portal, which makes it look too heavy. The light-blue on dark-grey-blue color scheme also isn't that nice, and having gradients all over the place looks a bit like programmer art. It's not a bad theme; it is that it isn't great either.

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #108 - Posted 2011-09-02 12:43:03 »

If you look at the sourcecode (HTML) and scroll down to
<!--

THIS IS WHERE THE PORTAL STARTS

-->

<!--

THIS IS WHERE THE PORTAL ENDS

-->
You can see that there is absolutely no style (inline css or html tags/attributes that influence style) in the HTML (unlike the crap SMF surrounds it with). As I'm unlikely to bring the design of the site to a significantly higher level, people can simple write another stylesheet for it, and we can vote on which to use.

Current stylesheet can be found here.

Offline bobjob

JGO Knight

David Aaron Muhar

« Reply #109 - Posted 2011-09-05 01:27:30 »

Personally, I think it would be great to have a front page with a menu.

Something clean, non-intimidating even for non-developers, along the lines of:

-- MENU BUTTONS: -- [PLAY GAME] [GAME DEVELOPMENT] [FORUM] [ABOUT JGO]

[PLAY GAMES]
* Links to a clean game navigation tree.
* showcase quality games (applet only).
* Should give broader JGO traffic

[GAME DEVELOPMENT]
* list to introduction java tutorials (setting up, basic game loops)

[FORUM]
* This forum, (if it aint broke, dont fix it)
* Also maybe move the game showcase up the top of the forum, in case guests want to ask about game issues, or advise.

[ABOUT JGO]
* Blah blah blah

and maybe a large image of the pac ghost on the front page aswell.

Also Riven in regards to your current portal page. It might be a good idea to show a different showcase depending on the viewer. If its mobile, then mobile. If Desktop...
It does look great. As far as using the features are concerned, I'd probably be sticking mostly to the forum. So I think It really might be a better Idea to keep games, and development seperate. This way even an 8 year old could jump on the site, and have a fun time just going through games.

My Projects
Games, Webcam chat, Video screencast, PDF tools.

Javagaming.org with chat room
Offline dr-snipe

Senior Newbie

Projects: 1

« Reply #110 - Posted 2011-09-07 01:15:00 »

Im sorry but why I am being referred to so much? Did I do something wrong?  Huh

I've been visiting these forums for a few months now just because I think they're interesting and have been trying to get into Java game development. I'm not sure if I came off wrong by the 2 posts I've made but they were simply just to give a little feedback on other people's games. I don't believe they were negative or insulting and I'm sorry if they came off that why because I did not mean it that way.

[size=12pt]EDIT:[/size] After doing some more reading in this thread, found out it was a placeholder tag. For a minute there, I thought everyone hated me for some reason  Smiley

An admin can delete this if they want.

Offline Z-Man
« Reply #111 - Posted 2011-09-07 01:35:02 »

lol welcome to JGO and all it's craziness dr-snipe Grin It's not totally crazy here. In the short time I've been here we've had "rock stars" and pranks from Riven like the you tag, but those are really the only things I can think of.
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 345
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #112 - Posted 2011-09-07 02:17:55 »

I've been visiting these forums for a few months now just because I think they're interesting and have been trying to get into Java game development. I'm not sure if I came off wrong by the 2 posts I've made but they were simply just to give a little feedback on other people's games. I don't believe they were negative or insulting and I'm sorry if they came off that why because I did not mean it that way.

[size=12pt]EDIT:[/size] After doing some more reading in this thread, found out it was a placeholder tag. For a minute there, I thought everyone hated me for some reason  Smiley

ROFL! Thanks for the laughs and welcome to JGO Cheesy

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #113 - Posted 2011-09-07 02:24:06 »

I was desperated too in first with the you tag, as [you] felt it Smiley

Offline zammbi

JGO Coder

Medals: 4

« Reply #114 - Posted 2011-09-07 07:23:42 »

Yeah I fell for it. I thought I was getting some love  Sad
I'll just go back into the hole I came from.

Current project - Rename and Sort
Offline JL235

JGO Coder

« Reply #115 - Posted 2011-09-13 03:41:49 »

... and this is exactly why I don't like the 'you' tag.

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #116 - Posted 2011-09-13 06:56:21 »

The you-tag is only active in this thread. If that's too much, I will completely remove it.

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #117 - Posted 2011-09-15 03:06:49 »

I think it's okay as long as there's diffrence between typed name and you-tag (like that underlined thing).

Offline JL235

JGO Coder

« Reply #118 - Posted 2011-09-15 03:18:05 »

The you-tag is only active in this thread. If that's too much, I will completely remove it.
If it's only in this topic, then I guess it's not such a problem.

Offline cylab

JGO Ninja

Medals: 49

« Reply #119 - Posted 2011-09-15 07:46:11 »

(...)[size=12pt]EDIT:[/size] After doing some more reading in this thread, found out it was a placeholder tag. For a minute there, I thought everyone hated me for some reason  Smiley
... and this is exactly why I don't like the 'you' tag.

... and this is exactly why I find it genuinely funny - I really start to ask myself, whats wrong with me  Wink

Mathias - I Know What [you] Did Last Summer!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Dwinin (19 views)
2014-09-12 09:08:26

Norakomi (54 views)
2014-09-10 13:57:51

TehJavaDev (63 views)
2014-09-10 06:39:09

Tekkerue (31 views)
2014-09-09 02:24:56

mitcheeb (53 views)
2014-09-08 06:06:29

BurntPizza (37 views)
2014-09-07 01:13:42

Longarmx (23 views)
2014-09-07 01:12:14

Longarmx (27 views)
2014-09-07 01:11:22

Longarmx (27 views)
2014-09-07 01:10:19

mitcheeb (35 views)
2014-09-04 23:08:59
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org