Games in Android Showcase (118)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (567)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Music + Sound Effects!  (Read 3146 times)
Offline counterp

Medals: 11

« Posted 2011-08-17 09:25:31 »

Aghaghfahgahgdhsh

I think it's about time I added sound to my game.

But... I have no idea where to even start. Are there any good tutorials for making music, and tutorials for making sound effects (like jumping, footsteps, etc) for a complete NOOB who has no idea what they're doing?

Preferably something very simple..
Online kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 77
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #1 - Posted 2011-08-17 09:46:49 »

Bfxr is a nice little tool for making sound effects and doesn't require much skill to use.
Offline atombrot

Medals: 10
Projects: 1

« Reply #2 - Posted 2011-08-17 10:00:36 »

Making music is a big world and if you're new to it it may be best, if you look for someone, that creates your desired soundtrack.

First of all you should make a concept, what role music and sound fx are playing in your game. Maybe think of a melodie or a main concept, that will be associated with your game.
Then think of, what different types of music you need. Take an rpg as an example. There you could have different type and styles of music, depending on your current situation. When the player character is in a fight, it might be appropriate to bring threatening, nerveuse music, that gives the player a hint, that something bad is about to happen Wink When the player is in a tavern, the music might imitate the happy and drunken mood of the tavern. If you are exploring ancient ruins, a slow and mystical soundtrack might be more appropriate.

I find FallOut: Las Vegas has a good example of well used sound fx and music. Early in the game, you have to get some roots, that grow near a cementery. The music in this area is very quiet and mysterious and sometimes, when you get near some graves, it seems that there are voices mixed to the music, that gives the whole thing a "ghosty" touch. allthough nothing bad happened at the graveyard, I always became a special tense feeling, when I was near the yard...

about the soundeffects: buy a microphone or a pocket recording device and try to find nice sounds. Experiment with materials, go to your kitchen, use your appliances at home, ride with the bus and record your ride, beat your frying pan with your mobile phone Wink . try to blend out the things you are doing but instead try to imagine, what those sounds could be. be creative. sometimes reversing a sample or applying some effects to it can give it the right touch.
it can be helpful, when you already now what sounds you need. for example, when you need foot step sounds for different materials, write down all the materials you need and then try to find something, that sounds the way, like you think it should sound. walking with high heels on a wooden floor could be imitated by knocking a lighter to a wooden table. Important thing here is, in my opinion, that you have alternatives. Nothing is more boring, than hearing the one single footstep sound over and over again. Make multiple takes and implement it in your game, that the used sounds vary.

I hope this can give you some ideas to start with.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 347
Projects: 3
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #3 - Posted 2011-08-17 10:52:46 »

www.freesound.org has a gigantically huge list of nice sound effects that you can use.

Offline counterp

« Reply #4 - Posted 2011-08-17 11:47:31 »

@atombrot

Good thing I'm not making an RPG, I only really need one song (maybe a few, just for variance, and an option for the player to change the music). I guess I'll have to pay someone to make music for me, in which case I'll postpone this :\

The microphone idea is good though, I'll do that

@ra4king

Do you know which creative commons license they use? If I'm gonna take free sounds, they need to be allowed for commercial use
Offline atombrot

Medals: 10
Projects: 1

« Reply #5 - Posted 2011-08-17 12:13:27 »

@counterp
I think the the license of the samples depends on the sample itself. You have to check it . And it doesn't mean, that you have to pay for music. There is plenty of creative common music out in the wild. Some things may be restricted for non commercial use, but even if that is the case, you still can write to the composer / producer and ask for permission. I mean both parties can benefit from such a collaboration. You get your soundtrack and the producer / composer gets credits for his songs in your game...

What music do you need or what type of game is is you're making? I make music myself (mostly psy trance / goa), but maybe I could try to compose some tracks for you (or there maybe already a song of mine which would be good for your game, although I doubt that Wink ). At the moment, I simply lack the time, so if you could give me some hints in direction I could try to do something in the next months. Don't know if I find the time but it's something I always wanted to try.
Offline counterp

« Reply #6 - Posted 2011-08-17 12:21:29 »

Woah that's awesome if you find that time to do that Cheesy

It's a game where you draw things

I'm looking for something slow and catchy

like these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc4iQQtaXvM
http://www.thegamehomepage.com/play/super-stacker/ (this one is very good)

but slower... and less 'noticeable' I guess? if you know what I mean :p something smooth
Offline nsigma
« Reply #7 - Posted 2011-08-17 12:36:41 »

Do you know which creative commons license they use? If I'm gonna take free sounds, they need to be allowed for commercial use

All sounds on freesound are CC sampling+ licensed - more here http://www.freesound.org/legal.php.  Basically (not a lawyer, etc, etc,  Smiley ) you should be fine for commercial use as part of a larger project (eg. game).  You do have to attribute somewhere.

Praxis LIVE - open-source intermedia toolkit and live interactive visual editor
Digital Prisoners - interactive spaces and projections
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 347
Projects: 3
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #8 - Posted 2011-08-17 15:53:44 »

As an example all sounds in Minecraft, except for the background music, are from freesound.org

Offline StumpyStrust
« Reply #9 - Posted 2011-12-24 00:24:19 »

Hello. After I read your post I thought it would be fun to make a little song/loop along the lines of what you were looking for.

http://www.uploadmusic.org/uploaded.php?file=5879181324685951.mp3

You can use it if you would like. I can make it in almost any sound format you want.

I can also make many other sound effects if you would like but for the most part google is much faster.

Hope this helps.  Grin

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Pippogeek (36 views)
2014-09-24 16:13:29

Pippogeek (29 views)
2014-09-24 16:12:22

Pippogeek (18 views)
2014-09-24 16:12:06

Grunnt (41 views)
2014-09-23 14:38:19

radar3301 (24 views)
2014-09-21 23:33:17

BurntPizza (60 views)
2014-09-21 02:42:18

BurntPizza (30 views)
2014-09-21 01:30:30

moogie (35 views)
2014-09-21 00:26:15

UprightPath (48 views)
2014-09-20 20:14:06

BurntPizza (52 views)
2014-09-19 03:14:18
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org