Games in Android Showcase (107)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (535)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Game Networking Logic Resources  (Read 1680 times)
Offline Neddy

Junior Newbie

Java games rock!....Big Time?

« Posted 2003-11-02 02:26:35 »

Hey,

ive only started doing some networking recently, and am wanting to make a network game, supporting ruffly up to 20 people is my desire.

I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some good learnign resources for this tpye of stuff, that focuses mainly on the game logic, as ive found fairly good resources, and understand setting up the connections and protocols already. As in, how the server should be structered, handling which aspects of the game, structuring of a common class to store each clients information in the server, ect...

Thanx.
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #1 - Posted 2003-11-02 11:07:07 »

Hey,

ive only started doing some networking recently, and am wanting to make a network game, supporting ruffly up to 20 people is my desire.

I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some good learnign resources for this tpye of stuff, that focuses mainly on the game logic, as ive found fairly good resources, and understand setting up the connections and protocols already. As in, how the server should be structered, handling which aspects of the game, structuring of a common class to store each clients information in the server, ect...

Thanx.

You could have a look at:

http://www.grexengine.com/sections/people/adam/nio/Introduction_to_NIO_Networking.html

and let me know what questions that leaves unanswered...

There's a few more bits I'd like to add, but the three articles are mostly complete; just looking for feedback at the moment. They're focussed on NIO networking, so assumes some knowledge of old IO, but the aim is to explain NIO well both to people who've used old IO, and those who haven't done any game networking before at all.

If you've got any comments, send them to ham.nioguide.adam @ grexengine.com (but remove the spaces first...).

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #2 - Posted 2003-11-02 23:21:10 »

If his limit is 20 players  NIO might be over-kill.

I'd suggest starting with java.net which is a  lot easier to learn and then branching out to NIo if you really need the performance.

Just IMO.

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Games/JeffFAQ
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #3 - Posted 2003-11-03 05:05:36 »

If his limit is 20 players  NIO might be over-kill.

I'd suggest starting with java.net which is a  lot easier to learn and then branching out to NIo if you really need the performance.

Just IMO.

If you haven't read the articles yet, one of the points I try to make is that IMHO NIO is considerably easier to learn than old IO as your first networking technology.

Like trying to teach Smalltalk as a first programming langauge rather than say Basic - ST is much easier, but only if you've never programmed in something like basic / pascal / etc.

Ditto functional languages are *extremely* hard to get used to for many people who've learnt any significant C or C++, but typically much easier for people who've done none.

And, other than joining an existing project that uses old IO rather than NIO, I can't see a situation where knowing NIO but not old IO is going to be a disadvantage.

Just like you were saying with Collections the other day ("Vector is a dead-end technology...not going to be updated in the future" IIRC?) - NIO is the future path for all I/O in Java, AFAICS. Since it performs an excellent unification of both internal (memory-intensive) and external (networking, hard-drives) I/O routines, AND it allows the explicit use and control of higher-performance low-level OS primitives AND it's easier to use than old IO!

Shrug. Only suggested it anyway because no-one else had come forward with other suggestions Smiley.

Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #4 - Posted 2003-11-06 03:07:58 »

If you haven't read the articles yet, one of the points I try to make is that IMHO NIO is considerably easier to learn than old IO as your first networking technology.

Hm. Your the first person I've heard say that, I sure hope its true Smiley

I'm probably biased and a bad test case since I did a LOT of old IO before NIO was available.

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #5 - Posted 2003-11-06 14:57:33 »

Hm. Your the first person I've heard say that, I sure hope its true Smiley

I'm probably biased and a bad test case since I did a LOT of old IO before NIO was available.

...so read through the articles Smiley, and have a go at using NIO as described. In general, I find it's a less obtrusive and more natural set of paradigms.

Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #6 - Posted 2003-11-06 20:02:58 »

...so read through the articles Smiley, and have a go at using NIO as described. In general, I find it's a less obtrusive and more natural set of paradigms.

Well the socket stuff is much mroe berkeley with which Im quite familiar.  Im stil ltrying to figure out the buffer stuff fully though so gimme a pointer and I'll read Smiley

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

pw (37 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (38 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (26 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (28 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16

ctomni231 (59 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21

Zero Volt (50 views)
2014-07-17 23:47:54

danieldean (42 views)
2014-07-17 23:41:23

MustardPeter (44 views)
2014-07-16 23:30:00

Cero (60 views)
2014-07-16 00:42:17

Riven (57 views)
2014-07-14 18:02:53
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org