News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Java for platformer  (Read 1650 times)
Offline securobo

Junior Newbie

« Posted 2011-03-16 00:43:15 »

Hi, everyone. I would like to know how possible it is to create a smooth scrolling platformer game using java. For example a game such as Super Mario Bros. on a Nintendo.

Can someone recommend a platformer game that is smooth scrolling as an example.

Is it possible to create something like that as a fullscreen application.

For example, I am running Windows 7 at 2048 x 1152. Is it possible to create a game that takes up full resolution. Please excuse what might seem a very simple question, but I have something more specific in mind. Do Java games require a browser to run? Or can you run applications as self contained programs, such as *.exe.

I have looked into alot of information and my questions were mostly answered, but what I am looking for is an explanation from a game programmers perspective. What can actually be accomplished with java.

I have never for example heard of Java applications (games) being bought off the shelf. However there are OpenGL libraries for Java. So obviously it's possible to create 3D apps.Again I am looking for a detailed explanations to convince me that the language is worth picking up over other languages. Game Development in mind. Please tell me a little about your successes and or failures. It would be very helpful.
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 362
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #1 - Posted 2011-03-16 00:55:39 »

We do ok with Java. There's two scrolling games on our site - Droid Assault and Revenge of the Titans. Not platformers but you should get the general gist that it's easily capable, and also, we distribute standalone installers for the games, there's no requirement for a JVM to be present on Windows.

Cas Smiley

Offline securobo

Junior Newbie

« Reply #2 - Posted 2011-03-16 00:58:12 »

Thank you, I'll check those games out right now.

As for the standalone installer. Is it the same concept as python, that it embeds an interpreter? If so, does that become part of the program? or is it a supporting file?
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #3 - Posted 2011-03-16 00:58:45 »

100% possible. You can make anything in Java.

You can check out Infinite Mario Bros, a game Markus Persson (also known as Notch) made a long while ago. I can't find it on the internets anymore but the source is kicking around.

Check out this video of an AI that plays the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlkMs4ZHHr8

The source with the AI (and also the mario project) is in the video description.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #4 - Posted 2011-03-16 01:07:08 »

As for the standalone installer. Is it the same concept as python, that it embeds an interpreter? If so, does that become part of the program? or is it a supporting file?
We just install the entire JVM (lib and bin directories, basically) into the game's install folder alongside the jars, dlls, and launcher exe. Well we would do but the whole thing is Moleboxed at the moment but that's another story.

Cas Smiley

Offline securobo

Junior Newbie

« Reply #5 - Posted 2011-03-16 01:18:08 »

I just finished checking out Titan Attacks. It is sweet. I love it. I am really going to look into Java now.

I have questions of course.

For a game such as Titan Attacks. Is Java just as capable of keeping things running if it's redesigned at full resolution? I understand that it would be overkill on the playability side, but in some cases it could be nice. Why for example is the game design decision for the game to be such a small screen. I know alot of games are like that. Is it mostly for compatibility with small screens? Or is there some consideration because of the language and screen libraries and such.

The installer for Titan Attacks. Is that commercial? Also, you mention the launcher. I assume that's a platform specific program. Is that something from oracle? or third party.
Offline securobo

Junior Newbie

« Reply #6 - Posted 2011-03-16 01:59:49 »

OK, just noticed, the installer is nullsoft. Very good. Just got excited about java, did not notice the small details.
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #7 - Posted 2011-03-16 09:17:35 »

The launcher's just a really simple .exe that invokes the JVM with a bunch of set parameters.
The only limits on the resolution of the game are the fillrate of the graphics card, nothing to do with Java. We made those original games small in case something interesting happened in the phone space or we wanted to deploy as applets, but nothing did, and we never got around to applets seriously.

Cas Smiley

Online philfrei
« Reply #8 - Posted 2011-03-16 10:10:00 »

Have you looked at the games in the Showcase section of this site? http://www.java-gaming.org/boards/showcase/2/view.html
Also, check out http://www.jagex.com/.

Pros: Java is very fast, rivals C. But if you want to focus on a specific platform(s) you do have the option of  programming the bulk in Java and then embedding key customized components written in C or whatever native language. There is a lot of support for scripting languages as well. Java's Jython code executes faster than Python, I hear. Java has a big community, lots of helpful people. Some excellent IDE choices. And the price is right.

Cons: mixed reputation in the gaming world, not available so much on consoles, not as much market penetration as Flash, though still respectible. If you are just learning it, there are some significant conceptual hurdles and technical hurdles. There's a lot of "I just want to do X" but you have to learn to handle the simple thing you want to do as part of a more generalized, more complicated framework. Seems to be easy for people to lose patience and say/think the language is bad or slow when the problem is in their understanding. Lots of handwringing about Java's mismanagement and imminent doom. (Check the TIOBE site to get a perspective on that one.
http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html)

"Greetings my friends! We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives!" -- The Amazing Criswell
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

CopyableCougar4 (14 views)
2014-08-22 19:31:30

atombrot (28 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (25 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (23 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (15 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (22 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (61 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (39 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32

BurntPizza (31 views)
2014-08-08 02:01:56

Norakomi (37 views)
2014-08-06 19:49:38
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org